ORAS NU Cheer Up

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Hi friends, Shadowtags here with another RMT after a while. I based this team around mixed Shiftry and Tauros since I think the two put a ton of offensive pressure on most teams right now. A defensive core of Lanturn, Xatu, Mawile is really effective at not only shutting out opposing offensive threats but also cover Shiftry and Tauros weaknesses quite well. Lanturn + Xatu + Rocker is a pretty common core in itself but this is my favorite take on it at the moment. Finally, Mismagius shares good synergy with the rest of the team and helps to break down bulkier teams for my offensive core to clean late game. The team has done pretty decent with me getting somewhere in the top 20 on ladder before dropping. Could've aimed for a higher mark but ladder is perpetually dead so I didn't see the point. Anyway's with that out of the way, lets take a closer look at the team.

In-depth review of the team

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Extrasensory
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
Part of the main focus of the team. I wanted to run mixed Shiftry but didn't want to run defog so I opted for Extrasensory which is only typically seen on special Varients of Shiftry but it acts just the same on this set as a really nice lure for poison types like Garbodor and Weezing. Pretty standard set otherwise, Leaf Storm makes for quite the powerful stab even without much investment in special attack. Knock off and Sucker punch are my dark stabs of choice and help to make Shiftry that much more annoying to play around. The ev spread I use helps with rolls versus weezing so that Knock Off + Extrasensory has a high chance to 2hko the most common spread which tends to sacrifice bulk for speed to outpace malamar.

Tauros @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Pursuit
- Rock Climb
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast / Zen Headbutt
Next up we have for the most part a standard mixed Tauros set. Probably the most effective Pokemon in the metagame in my opinion. Scouting for what coverage this thing runs is a pain as it has moves to deal with the majority of its counters. That being said it likes to miss so perhaps it isn't that broken. Anyway, I wanted to run pursuit since being able to whittle down slower wallbreakers like Electrivire and Magmortar is pretty nice since they can be annoying to play around otherwise. Rock Climb is our Normal move of choice and hits insanely hard whenever it manages to connect. Earthquake catches most normal resists in the tier on a switch and is a great tool to utilize to soften the counters Tauros often faces. Fire Blast and Zen headbutt can both make up the last move here, with Fire Blast being the most reliable move while Zen headbutt helps to hit opposing Mismagius which can a really disruptive threat to the team. I personally prefer Zen Headbutt but feel free to try both out.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 156 Def / 204 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Protect
- Thunder Wave
Defensive Lanturn makes up the next slot and makes for a pretty reliable water and fire type check as well as providing some handy speed control should I need it. Volt Switch and Scald are standard on pretty much every Lanturn set You'll be encountering in NU as they make up a large part of the utility that Lanturn offers to most teams with Volt Switch being an easy to gain momentum and Scald's high burn chance. Protect is a move I like a lot on defensive Lanturn just to gain an extra turn of recovery and possible scout for what a choiced mon will lock itself into. Heal Bell is an option over Protect if you wish but I'm not a fan. Thunder Wave is a balanced way to control the opponents speed and is often the move I click the most.

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Signal Beam
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Heat Wave
Another Pokemon that's always been sort of common but I feel has been way more present in the past few weeks. Xatu is a pretty fun mon to use just because the majority of the tier's hazard control is pretty lackluster and Xatu either tends to matchup well with most rockers in the tier or at the very least force a 50/50 with clicking stealth rock. Pretty standard Xatu set, I ran U-turn over Signal Beam and Grass Knot over Heat Wave for all of my ladder run but the set above is more user friendly in my opinion and better at checking malamar which can be annoying otherwise. Signal Beam covers the aforementioned Malamar while giving me a way to hit opposing psychics, the confusion chance is pretty cute as well. Psyshock is preferred over Psychic for a stab until Gurdurr drops back down but I suppose you can get away with running either one. Roost gives Xatu reliable recovery to be able to continuously check fighting types in the tier like Hariyama and Hitmonchan. Heat Wave is a cool last move to hit steel types like Steelix and ferroseed for much more damage.

Mawile @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Play Rough
- Pain Split
- Baton Pass
Ahh I love this mon. Mawile hasn't been as viable as it has been in past metas mainly because it's defensive set is considered overshadowed by Steelix. That being said I don't think defensive Steelix is all that good and is terribly overated, plus Mawile has a few niches that made it more appealing for this team anyway. Stealth Rock is the only thing you always need on a "competitive" pokemon team and for NU standards Mawile fill this role pretty well since Intimidate forces out a lot of physical mons. Play Rough is one of the best stab moves Mawile has access too and helps it to not be a complete sitting duck. Pain Split is a pretty unreliable recovery move but it's all Mawile has to heal up so I it like more than something like Knock off or Iron Head. Swords Dance might actually make for a cool option now that I think about it but I'll leave that up to whoever decides to use the team. Baton Pass is one the most notable things setting Mawile apart from other rockers as it's a pretty fun move to use for gaining some momentum and bringing in another team member safely. Max Defense and Hp is the most consistent defensive spread while Rocky Helmet is fun to punish priority users trying to play around Tauros and Shiftry.

Mismagius @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Taunt
- Pain Split
For the team's last slot, I wanted to utilize stallbreaker Mismagius since my matchup versus most stall was looking kind of flimsy and having another way to pressure most balance builds is always really good since it's by far the most common playstyle in NU. Will-O-Wisp is helpful to cripple physical attackers and power up hex which becomes a lot harder to switch into after Lanturn and Mismagius spread status. Taunt stops a lot of passive Pokemon in their tracks and can force a lot of 50/50's since most good players expect missy to be carrying taunt nowadays. Pain Split helps to keep Mismagius healthy alongside leftovers recovery so that it can stay healthy enough to check what it need to later in a game. Max Hp and Speed is the spread that gives Mismagius the most potent mix of speed and bulk, but some defensive investment over speed could be worth trying out if you're into that sort of thing.

Final Thoughts and Shoutouts
While this team has served me well, with usage stats right around the corner I'm not keen on remaking the team and would rather build brand new teams when that happens. That being said, I don't think the team will be terrible once drops happens so I figured would share the team with you all.

Thanks to Silver Aurum rozes Winter's Howl NotNova Jarii Shaneghoul and Shadestep for all being awesome people in their own way and making playing this game tolerable.
And also thanks to all the NU room staff and voices, keep up the good work. You all do an amazing job with keeping the room in check, except the voices of course ;].​
Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Extrasensory
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Tauros @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Pursuit
- Rock Climb
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 156 Def / 204 SpD / 108 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Protect
- Thunder Wave

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Signal Beam
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Heat Wave

Mawile @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Play Rough
- Pain Split
- Baton Pass

Mismagius @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Taunt
- Pain Split

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.
Hello lovely user Shadowtags, noticed how there arent rates yet, so I thought id drop one. This is already rly solid team so not much to change. Tauros is probably one of the best pokemon in meta and shiftry is a good partner with strong priority move and lure in extrasensory to help tauros sweep, followed by solid defensive backbone that checks a lot threats in meta. Now, I actually rly like helmet+pain split mawile since intimidate+ its decent bulk makes it easily check some of the threats and set up rocks while getting damage on predicted U-turns/weaker moves while BP can give you easy momentum to safely bring your sweepers or your taunt user.
-Few things I noticed was weakness to mega audino since mawile doesnt carry iron head on this set and mismagius can only beat it with burn damage+taunt while tauros doesnt have iron tail to hit it, team is a bit weak to RP Rhydon which can just run through the team and can setup on few mons, and things like guts yama are a bit of annoyance. *also droppin this rate be4 drops are implemented xd *

>

sryy ,i love weezingg even tho its boring :x its another stallbreaker that puts a lot of pressure on stall, it sacrifices speed that mismagius had but gives team more reliable answer to the threats i named here, stops rhydon and audino pretty easily and prevents hazards without fearing of getting stone edged.
Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Pain Split/Toxic Spikes

With this weezing set being able to check malamar we can move to xatu since weezing is a reliable knock off switchin, this allows you to use Rocky Helmet > colbur berry and changing the Calm Mind>signal beam which gives you another win condition(i count tauros as win cond since its late game sweeper). Grass Knot > Heat wave in this case since you beat ferroseed/steelix reliably with helmet anyway and also hits annoying things like golurk/gastro better.

-Thats mostly my rate, also while weezing checks those things better it cuts teams speed a bit and mismagius can check some psychic types better, so im gonna drop few other suggestions here that doesnt involve changing teammates.
-There are few more things to play around with here so lemme start:
Xatu/Mismagius sets can be combined together into Xatu running CM/Psyshock/Grass Knot/Roost and Mismagius running Colbur Berry> Leftovers , this allows you to still check malamar with mismagius since after burn malamar isnt gonna do a lot damage to it and you can escape pursuits/or burn skuntank easier in process,while Xatu allows you to beat audino 1v1, doesnt let rhydon set up vs it and damage ground types which are pretty threatening vs this team,grass knot without having helmet also beats steelix anyway and ferroseed cant do anything vs it.
-Naughty> Lonely nature on shiftry on this version, takes less damage from priority moves and checks at +2 speed better
-another minor option is running iron tail>pursuit on tauros to beat/weaken rock types/audino easier but pursuit still works well

Anyways,cool team and hf with new teams and drops ^^

Last edited:

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
shiftry / tauros / lanturn / xatu / mawile / mismag

honestly this team is very solid and there are very few things i would actually change, but ill sum them up below
  • i think the biggest problem is that you dont have a very good match up against more defensive teams, especially ones that have a reliable way to deal with mismagius. i think this is mainly due to the fact you lack a reliable win con due to everything on the team really being delegated to either walling or attacking which leads to your inability to break past bulky cores. thats why i would change up xatu to be a calm mind set with calm mind | roost | psyshock | grass knot of signal beam. grass knot is xatu's best way of dealing with aggron, but it leaves you walled by skuntank which heat wave / signal beam allow you to hit. you could also run hp ground which while really weak hits aggron / skunk / general damage to other things.
  • rhydon is another threat that i see for your team, as if it manages to set up a rock polish on something like mawile, its basically the end of the game from there. there are a few changes that you can do in order to fix this, one is making tauros iron tail as it does ~50 to rhydon who can't ohko it back so if you manage to get some chip damage off on rhydon it becomes a lot more manageable. another option you can go with is making xatu charti berry over colbur, and switching over to grass knot. while this sounds really gimmicky, you dont really need colbur on this team as you have another really reliable fighting check in mismagius (which i would switch to colbur). charti allows you to take a stone edge and revenge kill it with grass knot, giving you a semi reliable check to it.
thanks for the shoutout and good luck with the team in the future n_n

Charti Berry > Colbur
Calm Mind + (Grass Knot / Signal Beam) > Heat Wave + Signal Beam

Iron Tail > Fire Blast / Zen Headbutt

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Charti berry seems like a pretty good tech ill def try that out if I ever use the team again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)