SV OU CHI PAO Shed Tail Salt disher (Peak 1971 Rank #6)

1672158803319.png
1672158809536.png
1672158814625.png
1672158819881.png
1672158824789.png
1672158830067.png

PEAK
unnamed.png

About me

Hello, I'm Adinho and I've been playing competetive Pokemon for quite some years now. I've mainly played on different Pokemon MMOs and always ending up high on the ranked ladders. In Gen 7 OU Pokemonshowdown I peaked ranked 15, I skipped Gen 8 due to the Dynamix and never got back in to it after it got Banned. I do have my own Youtube Channel regarding Pokemon PvP for the people who are interested: Youtube

Team

I Made a whole detailed teambuilding Video on this Team, Check it out here: Teambuilding Video
1672158448863.png

Garganacl @ Leftovers
Ability: Purifying Salt
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Salt Cure
- Recover

In most games this is Pokemon I usually terastallize with as he is able to take on most of the physical attackers in the meta.​
Due to the tankyness and his immunity to status, Garganacl is able to reliably set up Stealth Rock througout the game. Every Offensive Pokemon hit my Salt Cure without recovery will go down to the combination of Recover and Protect. Protect is also great for scouting Choice moves. In most cases I lead of with this Pokemon.

1672158474049.png

Chi-Yu @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beads of Ruin
Tera Type: Fire/ Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Overheat
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic/ Tera Blast
Tired of having to switch in to the Specs variant I decided to abuse this monster myself. This Pokemon combined with Overheat is not fair. Especially if you combine it with Tera Fire and Choice Specs, basically giving this pokemon a free Nasty Plot for just existing! The moveset is selfexplanatory, but the last move is debatable. I rarely click it, but in some cases it worked out. Basically the Pokemon that resist Dark Pulse and are immune to fire type attacks, like Dachsbun or Tera Fairy Flash Fire Arcanine. We should try to get this monster in as much as possible, this is where the next member comes in.

1672158501407.png

Cyclizar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double Edge/ Dragon Claw/ Rapid Spin
- Shed Tail
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Regenerator with Shed Tail combo is kinda disgusting. But we are trying to win here and in WAR everything is allowed :P. I like to run U-turn along side, because if we're below Half Hp we can't use Shed Tail. It is still nice to chip our opponent while activating our regenerator. I Chose to go with a Choice Scarf, because our Chi Yu is on Specs, so it makes our team kinda slow. This helps us outpacing Pokemon like Dragapult, Chien Pao or other Choice Scarfers. Whenever I'm not leading with Garganacl I would probably lead with this. It's usually a free Shed Tail or U-turn depending on what we are facing. I rarely click Dragon Claw, but it's some nice STAB no drawback Attack. Double Edge can be run instead as it hits fairy types we might need to damage like Azumarill

1672158527977.png

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spe
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Ice Spinner

Since we're using Choice Specs Chi Yu, it would be a pain to always bring it in on Stealth Rock. With Gholdengo being so common in this Meta, I don't like having defog as our main way of removing Hazards. So I went with the best Rapid Spinner in the game. Rapid Spin gets blocked by Ghost Types, but most Ghost types in the Meta are offensive oriented, so they usually take a lot of damage if we click Knock Off or Earthquake. btw, there are actually very few Pokemon in this Meta that get Knock Off due to it not being a TM and no available Tutor. As a last move I chose to go with Ice Spinner as some Pokemon that we counter tend to Terastallize in to a Flying type. The 52 Speed Evs allows us to outpace Garchomp after Rapid Spin in combination with Ice Spinner giving us some nice kill pressure. Tera Water might be nice vs Rain Teams

1672158543523.png

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Haze
- Surf
- Toxic Spikes/ Baneful Bunker

We have a Chi Yu on our Team, but we don't switch well in to on opposing Chi Yu (Garganacl is not spdef).
Toxapex is one of the best Pokemon to do it. We don't have to fear scarf and if Specs clicks a Fire type move, we will be fine as well. The only scary set would be Nasty Plot with Dark Pulse Flinch. We use Black Sludge over Leftovers, so Gholdengo gets a useless item if it decides to trick us. Tera Dark in case we face Stored Power Espathra (Tera + Item can backfire) Toxic + Toxic Spikes to pressure Great Tusk.

1672158556004.png

Chien-Pao @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sword of Ruin
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Spinner
- Sucker Punch
- Sacred Sword

Lastly I wanted a Pokemon that could outpace Specs Chi Yu and Timid Iron Valiant and kill them. Chien Pao fits this description really well. With an Adamant Nature we can still do this while having extra damage. Only downside is that we are slower than Jolly Roaring Moon, but Garganacle and Great Tusk cover this really well defensively. We also have Scarf Cyclizar worst case scenario. Chien Pao serves a late game cleaner due to his high speed and damage and with Heavy Duty Boots not affected to entry Hazards. The Sucker Punch priority also helps us against fast threats in the late game.

Threats:

1672158581622.png

Depending on how many Bullet Seed hits he gets of against Garganacl, this Pokemon can be really annoying. Terastallize Garganacl early when you face this Pokemon.

1672158603199.png

We can not status this Pokemon and he can recover back with draining kiss and recover. Chi Yu can knock this out from full with overheat though. Make sure your opponents doesnt get to many Calm Minds

1672158624925.png

If Azumarill get a free Belly Drum,it's pretty much over. Try to get up Entry Hazards before it comes in (ideally Toxic Spikes) and try to either poison stall with protect or to get him in to Sucker Punch range from Chien Pao.

Replays:

I usually don't save these.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1750880028-wkq7c7xrs8zpl8yvcyjizebllbh46k4pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1750915641-pis5qrvgpir4nk3dzpwew6xhskwqfh9pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1752499888-fnzewyqs0wr2za32qlfkz270kwjvgd0pw

Pokepaste:
CHI PAO Shed Tail Salt disher (Peak 1965 #9) (pokepast.es)

First time posting here. If you'd like to see more consider subscriber to my Youtube Channel :)

Last edited:

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Very solid team, and congrats on the peak. Thank you for posting the video on your thought process for building the team, it was a pleasure to watch.

Threats: So as you stated Breloom can be an issue, I've seen a lot of Brelooms run Loaded Dice which will allow Bullet Seed to hit 4 times minimum sometimes 5, I've also seen them run Substitute / Swords Dance, if it runs Substitute Salt Cure can't break the sub. I feel like some Protosynthesis spammers under the sun could be problematic, like an offensive Great Tusk running Choice Band just spamming EQ (Tera Type into Ground) since you do not have and ground immunity on the team. I could see Azumarill being problematic if Pex goes down, but I could see it being stalled out with Toxic, so I'm not super concerned (Maybe a consideration running Baneful Bunker so you can let Toxic kill it out / switch-in switch out with Regenerator)

Suggestions:

Garganacl (Fairy) is so OP, and it's hard to break. So no suggestions here.

Chi-Yu looks good I would say maybe to break Dragonite I would go with Will-O-Wisp > Psychic (Foreseeing switch-ins). I've used Specs Chi-Yu a lot and the most common switch-ins aside from Clodsire, Toxapex, Tyranitar (Which Psychic can't touch), Blissey, and Ting-Lu [Dragonite might be the most annoying switch-in bar Tyranitar]. Wisping it will invalidate it offensively and continuously break Multi-Scale.

Double Edge might the better option for Cyclizar over Dragon Claw, I was thinking maybe consider Rapid Spin so you don't have to hold onto Great Tusk all game if it's a stacking team but no hard suggestions here.

For Great Tusk I recommend going with Heavy-Duty Boots or even Assault Vest, so you you don't have to worry about entry hazards / give yourself more special defensive bulk when going against Gholdengo for example. I feel since it's important to keep Tusk in high health I would probably like keeping Heavy-Duty Boots. (No hard suggestions here, I see your perspective with lefties)

For Toxapex, I think it's best running just Toxic / Toxic Spikes and pick the one you prefer, and then for which ever one you plan on going with I would go with (for the open slot) Baneful Bunker instead. This will allow you to Toxistall certain mons like Azumarill / Breloom and in combo with Gargnacl it might be ideal to have 2 mons with a Protect type of move. Also any contact move could inflict poison (for Baneful Bunker) which I've used in very dire situations late game. I saw your video on why you went with Black Sludge > Leftovers (for Dark Tera Type) for Gholdengo and I agree with you but I do think it should be a mention in general.

Lastly I think for Chien-Pao maybe consider Ice Shard over Sucker Punch because I feel like in the upper ladder, players usually see it coming and will try to take advantage (Mainly talking about Dragapult Will-O-Wisping / Substituting). [Not a hard suggestions since I've used both before on the same set].

Aside from that it's a wonderful team (well built) and thank you for posting!

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Eeeyyyy yooooo
I went against your team a few hours ago (and lost badly), and it was really solid, but 1 hour ago Cinderace got out, and he might pose problems for the team, if he is running Gunk Shot, Fairy Garganacl just drops and you can only stall it for so long, and if he is running Zen Headbutt, Pex is no longer a good option to counter, you can Banefull Bunker once and then play hot potato but eventually something will get hit, especially if the ace is running boots, and it does outspeed your Chien Pao, so i dont think ace dies with a priority move, you do outspeed him with Scarf Cyclizar, so even he has the correct coverage, you do have an emergency option

But yeah, pretty good team, i really hope more people see this and comment it, and hope you have a nice new years

Leavers

...jook 'til i die
Great team! I have been laddering with this extensively. Breloom and Azumarill are the only pokemon I have had problems with but its manageable like you said. Probably a bit late to recommend some changes as bans are incoming but imma recommend some anyway.

Draco meteor > Dragon Claw - Lets you OHKO Dragapult & other cyclizar off the lead as well as Draco chains chomp leads to prevent them from stacking multiple hazards on those ghost offenses (sometimes they burn their tera which is even better imo). Much more useful than claw/edge which I found myself never clicking when I was using them. also change the nature obviously.

The other change I've liked, is speed creeping hatterene's by adding 20 speed evs to pex allowing you to hit 111 and get those fast hazes. This isnt required, but its nice when it can get dicey trying to get your chi-yu in to threaten out opposing hatterene's late game, especially when you have taken some chip already.

Great team. Spdef Pex does really just drop to Azu

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Tera Water Azumarill Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 311-367 (102.3 - 120.7%)

How often do you click tera with Tusk? Tera Grass, Dragon or Water could be cool on it. All of those resist water which gives you an extra hit on Azu and probably even beat it if they go for Aqua Jet first, and the former 2 resist Grass as an emergency vs Breloom if Garg already dropped. I know this isn't an ideal solution but the Azu mu really is very hard since Chi-Yu and Chien-Pao will give it a chance to set up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)