Ubers Choice Specs Kyogre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Water Spout
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Thunder
move 4: Origin Pulse
item: Choice Specs
ability: Drizzle
nature: Modest
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
tera type: Water

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Choice Specs Kyogre is a devastating wallbreaker that can OHKO or 2HKO the entire metagame. However, the ever-present sun set by Koraidon and its relatively low Speed make it harder to use than it may appear, even with its incredible power.
  • Water Spout gives Kyogre the power to OHKO even resistant Pokemon such as Miraidon and Eternatus when paired with Tera Water, and it lets Kyogre claim KOs with ease early on. Ice Beam lets Kyogre hit Koraidon and Clodsire super effectively, cleanly OHKOing the former lacking bulk EVs and 2HKOing the latter. Thunder is Kyogre's strongest option for breaking through bulky Water-types such as Toxapex, Arceus-Water, and opposing Kyogre.
  • Tera Water lets Kyogre perform feats such as OHKOing Miraidon, Toxapex, Arceus-Water, and Eternatus with Water Spout or Origin Pulse with a layer of Spikes up.
  • An alternate EV spread of 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def can be used to take on Arceus formes and switch into defensive Pokemon such as Skeledirge and Landorus-T better.
  • Kyogre fits well on bulky offense. It has trouble getting onto the field and loses a significant part of its power if it takes a hit, so it should be paired with pivots such as Koraidon, Miraidon, and Landorus-T. They can bring Kyogre in on their incoming checks such as Arceus-Fairy and Skeledirge, Arceus-Ground, and Ting-Lu, respectively.
  • Kyogre also greatly appreciates entry hazard removal, such as Defog support from Giratina-O and Corviknight, which keeps Water Spout at full power. Speed control options help Kyogre to wallbreak to its fullest, as it tends to have to take a hit before attacking thanks to its lower Speed, such as Thunder Wave from Arceus, Miraidon, Giratina-O, and Groudon, and Sticky Web from Masquerain.
  • Entry hazards support from Ting-Lu and Clodsire is also appreciated to make sure Kyogre's attacks can cleanly OHKO most of their switch-ins. The aforementioned two Pokemon are also able to check Miraidon and Eternatus, both of which can come in on Kyogre and revenge-kill it. Koraidon can force Kyogre out and can switch into its Water-type attacks, so checks to Koraidon such as Skeledirge, Landorus-T, Great Tusk, and Arceus-Fairy are also appreciated. That said, Kyogre can also predict Koraidon coming in and catch it with an Ice Beam, which is a clean OHKO on all Koraidon without bulk EVs.
  • Kyogre can also be used as a solid offensive check to Arceus formes, as it can pivot into a Taunt or a Calm Mind and force them out with a strong Origin Pulse or Water Spout. Kyogre can also pivot into opposing Calm Mind Kyogre, forcing it out with Thunder.
[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/taka.595062/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/corvere.306317/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/manaphy.50695/
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/adeleine.517429/

Last edited:

corvere

and beneath the mist, i saw my true reflection
is a Top Contributor
As such, it should be paired with pivots such as [...]
i think you should also mention lando-t here, same pivot idea that can set rocks for ogre which links perfectly into what you say next
you mention lando-t as korai checks later on the analysis but i think his mention would be better suited where i said

1/2

corvere_Small.gif

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Your move order here is hella weird lol, why is Water Spout not first slash? It should be:
Water Spout
Ice Beam
Thunder
Origin Pulse

You should really add more bullet points to that last paragraph as well.

I think you should really mention Defog support here, it's pretty critical for this set to keep Water Spout at full power. Gira-O and Corv both have good benefits to offer too; Gira-O can spread status with T-Wave (especially well since he discourages Ground-types from coming in) and Corv can bring Kyogre in pretty easily with U-Turn.

I'm also a supporter of max HP on this set; really max speed only helps you not worry about speed ties vs. Groudon and Giratina-O and such. Meanwhile, max HP can help you take on Arceus forms and such without having to worry as much. I don't think it should be the main spread, but mention it somewhere as an alternative.

Following up on that point, I do like Kyogre as a method of control against Support/CM Arceus forms in general, as Kyogre can come in on a Taunt or even a CM and proceed to just get a kill or overpower CM through pure tera water force. This is especially notable against CM Groundceus who is pretty hard to check otherwise. Max HP obviously helps Kyogre do this better.

Kyogre is also kinda a OK check to its own CM sets since they usually don't have Thunder and Specs Ogre can come in and force it out with its own Thunder, so it's worth mentioning imo

I will check after changes then stamp.

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
i
Your move order here is hella weird lol, why is Water Spout not first slash? It should be:
Water Spout
Ice Beam
Thunder
Origin Pulse

You should really add more bullet points to that last paragraph as well.

I think you should really mention Defog support here, it's pretty critical for this set to keep Water Spout at full power. Gira-O and Corv both have good benefits to offer too; Gira-O can spread status with T-Wave (especially well since he discourages Ground-types from coming in) and Corv can bring Kyogre in pretty easily with U-Turn.

I'm also a supporter of max HP on this set; really max speed only helps you not worry about speed ties vs. Groudon and Giratina-O and such. Meanwhile, max HP can help you take on Arceus forms and such without having to worry as much. I don't think it should be the main spread, but mention it somewhere as an alternative.

Following up on that point, I do like Kyogre as a method of control against Support/CM Arceus forms in general, as Kyogre can come in on a Taunt or even a CM and proceed to just get a kill or overpower CM through pure tera water force. This is especially notable against CM Groundceus who is pretty hard to check otherwise. Max HP obviously helps Kyogre do this better.

Kyogre is also kinda a OK check to its own CM sets since they usually don't have Thunder and Specs Ogre can come in and force it out with its own Thunder, so it's worth mentioning imo

I will check after changes then stamp.
implemented, lmk if this is enough!

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Checks to Koraidon such as Skeledirge, Landorus-T, Great Tusk, and Arceus-Fairy are also appreciated, as Koraidon can freely switch into Kyogre's water-type moves, but must be wary of Ice Beam.
I get what you mean here but this sentence reads kinda confusing, reword this a bit IMO

Also I'm still looking for a mention of HP investment?

EDIT: 1/2

Last edited:

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Fix Remove Comment (AC): Add Comma
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Choice Specs Kyogre is a devastating wallbreaker that can OHKO or 2HKO the entire metagame. However, the ever-present sun set by Koraidon and its relatively slow speed for the tier low Speed make it harder to use (harder than what? eg you could add "than it may appear", even with its incredible power.
  • Water Spout gives Kyogre the power to OHKO even resists resistant Pokemon such as Miraidon and Eternatus when paired with Tera Water, and it lets Kyogre claim kills KOs with ease early on. Ice Beam lets Kyogre hit Koraidon and Clodsire super effectively, cleaning cleanly OHKOing the former lacking bulk EVs (I imagine, based on second-to-last bullet? if it cleanly ohkos all koraidon, that part in second-to-last bullet should be changed) and 2HKOing the latter. Thunder is Kyogre's strongest option for breaking through bulky Water-types such as Toxapex, Arceus-Water, and opposing Kyogre.
  • Tera Water lets Kyogre perform feats such as OHKOing Miraidon, Toxapex, Arceus-Water, and Eternatus with just Water Spout or Origin Pulse with a Spike layer of Spikes up.
  • (briefly explain why def evs over hp evs) An alternate EV spread of 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe can be used to take on Arceus forms formes and switch into defensive Pokemon (removed E accent) such as Skeledirge and Landorus-T better. (briefly explain the 8 spe evs)
  • Kyogre fits well on bulky offense, and it offense. It has trouble getting onto the field and loses a significant part of its power if it takes a hit. As such, hit, so it should be paired with pivots such as Koraidon, Miraidon, and Landorus-T, who Landorus-T. They can bring Kyogre in on their incoming checks such as Arceus-Fairy and Skeledirge, and Arceus-Ground, (AC) and Ting-Lu, (AC) respectively.
  • Kyogre also greatly appreciates entry hazard removal, as it tends to have to take a hit before it can freely fire off a strong attack thanks to its lower speed. such as Defog support from Giratina-O and Corviknight, (AC) are useful for maintaining which keeps Water Spout at full power. Speed control options help support Kyogre to wallbreak to its fullest, as it tends to have to take a hit before attacking thanks to its lower Speed, such as Thunder Wave from Arceus, Miraidon, Giratina-O, and Groudon, and Sticky Web from Masquerain. (if you meant something else than what these changes communciate, lmk)
  • Entry hazards support from Ting-Lu and Clodsire are is also appreciated to make sure Kyogre's attacks can cleanly OHKO most of their switch-ins. The aforementioned two Pokemon are also able to check Miraidon and Eternatus, both of which can come in on Kyogre to and revenge kill (added hyphen) it. Koraidon can force Kyogre out and can switch into its Water-type attacks, so checks to Koraidon such as Skeledirge, Landorus-T, Great Tusk, and Arceus-Fairy are also appreciated. That said, Kyogre can also predict earlier and catch Koraidon Koraidon coming in and catch it with an Ice Beam, which is a clean OHKO on all bulkless Koraidon without bulk EVs.
  • Kyogre can also be used as a solid offensive check to Arceus forms, as Kyogre formes, as it can pivot into a Taunt or a Calm Mind and force it them out with a strong Origin Pulse or Water Spout. Kyogre can also pivot into opposing Calm Mind Kyogre, since it can come in and force forcing it out with Thunder.
[CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:
hikari.gif
GP Team done

Taka

coastin' like crazy
PUPL Champion
Add/Fix Remove Comment (AC): Add Comma
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Choice Specs Kyogre is a devastating wallbreaker that can OHKO or 2HKO the entire metagame. However, the ever-present sun set by Koraidon and its relatively slow speed for the tier low Speed make it harder to use (harder than what? eg you could add "than it may appear", even with its incredible power.
  • Water Spout gives Kyogre the power to OHKO even resists resistant Pokemon such as Miraidon and Eternatus when paired with Tera Water, and it lets Kyogre claim kills KOs with ease early on. Ice Beam lets Kyogre hit Koraidon and Clodsire super effectively, cleaning cleanly OHKOing the former lacking bulk EVs (I imagine, based on second-to-last bullet? if it cleanly ohkos all koraidon, that part in second-to-last bullet should be changed) and 2HKOing the latter. Thunder is Kyogre's strongest option for breaking through bulky Water-types such as Toxapex, Arceus-Water, and opposing Kyogre.
  • Tera Water lets Kyogre perform feats such as OHKOing Miraidon, Toxapex, Arceus-Water, and Eternatus with just Water Spout or Origin Pulse with a Spike layer of Spikes up.
  • (briefly explain why def evs over hp evs) An alternate EV spread of 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe can be used to take on Arceus forms formes and switch into defensive Pokemon (removed E accent) such as Skeledirge and Landorus-T better. (briefly explain the 8 spe evs)
  • Kyogre fits well on bulky offense, and it offense. It has trouble getting onto the field and loses a significant part of its power if it takes a hit. As such, hit, so it should be paired with pivots such as Koraidon, Miraidon, and Landorus-T, who Landorus-T. They can bring Kyogre in on their incoming checks such as Arceus-Fairy and Skeledirge, and Arceus-Ground, (AC) and Ting-Lu, (AC) respectively.
  • Kyogre also greatly appreciates entry hazard removal, as it tends to have to take a hit before it can freely fire off a strong attack thanks to its lower speed. such as Defog support from Giratina-O and Corviknight, (AC) are useful for maintaining which keeps Water Spout at full power. Speed control options help support Kyogre to wallbreak to its fullest, as it tends to have to take a hit before attacking thanks to its lower Speed, such as Thunder Wave from Arceus, Miraidon, Giratina-O, and Groudon, and Sticky Web from Masquerain. (if you meant something else than what these changes communciate, lmk)
  • Entry hazards support from Ting-Lu and Clodsire are is also appreciated to make sure Kyogre's attacks can cleanly OHKO most of their switch-ins. The aforementioned two Pokemon are also able to check Miraidon and Eternatus, both of which can come in on Kyogre to and revenge kill (added hyphen) it. Koraidon can force Kyogre out and can switch into its Water-type attacks, so checks to Koraidon such as Skeledirge, Landorus-T, Great Tusk, and Arceus-Fairy are also appreciated. That said, Kyogre can also predict earlier and catch Koraidon Koraidon coming in and catch it with an Ice Beam, which is a clean OHKO on all bulkless Koraidon without bulk EVs.
  • Kyogre can also be used as a solid offensive check to Arceus forms, as Kyogre formes, as it can pivot into a Taunt or a Calm Mind and force it them out with a strong Origin Pulse or Water Spout. Kyogre can also pivot into opposing Calm Mind Kyogre, since it can come in and force forcing it out with Thunder.
[CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:
View attachment 534507GP Team done
implemented!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)