SS OU Comfey Balanced Team

Hi everyone, this set was centered around Comfey, a pokemon returning from Alola in the Sword and Shield DLC. I have always found this pokemon very interesting, as its ability in Triage gives its healing moves +3 priority. If you have any suggestions, please leave a comment!
CONTENTS
1. Team Building Process
2. The Team
3. Team Usage Tips
4. Threats

5. PokePaste and Credits

Team Building Process

I started my off with Comfey, and built my team around it.

To combat Comfey's weakness to Excadrill, I added Cinderace. It can safely switch in on an Iron Head, and then OHKO with either Pyro Ball or High Jump Kick.

My team needed to be more tanky, so I added Toxapex to set up Toxic Spikes and frustrate setup sweepers with Haze. Corviknight was there as a defogger and to wall Excadrill, who could outspeed on OHKO Cinderace in sand. Tangrowth resisted Ground-type moves and could put dangerous pokemon like Magearna and Flamethrower- Togekiss to sleep before they could dish out too much damage.

My final Pokemon was Zeraora, whose Plasma Fists hit extra hard with a Magnet boost. He and Cinderace were my main attackers until I realised that Zeraora was no longer that good in OU after the DLC's release.

I hardly ever used Corviknight, as I found that Comfey could learn Defog and sand Excadrill was not as common as a utility set. When I did use him, I had to switch out almost immediately after, as new, common DLC additions such as Volcarona and Magnezone completely walled it. I realised that the DLC really hindered the viability of this pokemon, and replaced it with utility Excadrill (not him again) as a better Steel-type who can OHKO Rotom-H with a Mold Breaker EQ. Ferrothorn was added as it works very well with Excadrill, who can KO lots of pokemon after Spikes damage.

Finally, I replaced Zeraora with Dragapult, who was just a better wallbreaker in general. As I said above, following the DLC's release, Zeraora just didn't cut it anymore, as shown by when he was placed in 'Good' instead of 'Great' in the viability rankings. Dragapult gave coverage against physics, especially Slowbro-Galar, who forces a switch on Comfey.

The Team

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover​
Toxapex is the main tank in this team. I mainly bring it in against offensive pokemon who threaten my other team members. I usually poison the opponents before stalling with Recover. In this way you can force a switch out and present a more favourable opponent to Dragapult, Cinderace or Excadrill. Toxapex also punishes setup sweepers like Nasty Plot Togekiss or Shift Gear Magearna, but watch out for Magearna's Thunderbolt, which has a 30% chance to 2HKO Toxapex. It can wall Primarina very well, but if one is found to have Psychic, switch out and let Regenerator restore HP.
0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lycanroc: 150-176 (51.5 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 102-120 (33.5 - 39.4%) -- 19.7% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery (best move in a Volcarona set without Psychic)
252 SpA Slowbro-Galar Shell Side Arm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 45-54 (14.8 - 17.7%) -- possible 9HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Comfey @ Big Root
Ability: Triage
EVs: 68 HP / 220 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draining Kiss
- Giga Drain
- Aromatherapy
- Leech Seed
This may seem surprising, but Comfey proved to be a very valuable addition to the team as it checked a lot of pokemon and restored lots of HP in the progress with Triage-boosted moves such as Draining Kiss and Giga Drain. I preferred Aromatherapy to Calm Mind as it helps my main attackers to function better. Calm Mind doesn't make too much of a difference to this pokemon, as it is better as a support pokemon which can heal lots of HP every turn. 220 Speed EVs lets it set Leech Seed and Aromatherapy first against many opponents, and the 68 HP EVs gives it more bulk and more HP restored from the Big Root.
252 SpA Triage Comfey Draining Kiss vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 264-312 (81.2 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (81.4 - 96.2% recovered)
252 SpA Triage Comfey Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Seismitoad: 304-360 (73.4 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (62.5 - 74% recovered)
252 SpA Triage Comfey Draining Kiss vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 232-276 (65.5 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (71.6 - 85.1% recovered)

Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Libero
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch
Ever since Cinderace gained the Libero ability, its usage has skyrocketed. STAB U-Turn deals good damage and provides momentum into a better equipped pokemon. Cinderace can overcome many opponents with its unpredictability and ability to change its weaknesses and resistances each turn. You could switch Sucker Punch for Zen Headbutt, to deal with Toxapex. I recommend using this pokemon as the centre of the team, pivoting out to Comfey if it has a status condition, or Dragapult so it can pivot back in when the time is right. Keep this pokemon alive, as it can hit hard with STAB-boosted moves against pokemon that your remaining teammates can't deal with.
252+ Atk Libero Cinderace High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 648-764 (179.5 - 211.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Libero Cinderace Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Aegislash-Blade: 402-474 (154 - 181.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Cinderace Pyro Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 283-334 (90.9 - 107.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO (wow)

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Body Press
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
Ferrothorn is the team's hazard layer, and helps Excadrill and Dragapult KO after Spikes damage (Cinderace doesn't need much help lol). Ferrothorn usually comes up against Mew, another hazard layer. In this case, let Mew waste a turn taunting while you Knock Off, and then switch out into Excadrill to Rapid Spin and rid any Stealth Rocks set up by Mew. Alternatively, you could lay all three layers of spikes because Mew has nothing really to counter Ferrothorn, and then switch to Excadrill to Rapid Spin. Body Press allows Ferrothorn's gargantuan Defense (boosted in EVs and Nature) do damage and force switch outs on pokemon like Weavile. I opted for Iron Head in the final slot, as it deals with tanky pokemon like Clefable. But thats not all. If you see a Urshifu Rapid-Strike, predict switch in on a Surging Strikes. It does little damage, and Urshifu gets Rocky Helmet + Iron Barbs recoil thrice.
252+ Def Ferrothorn Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 360-424 (105.5 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Def Ferrothorn Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Weavile: 548-648 (195 - 230.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Ferrothorn Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Clefable: 212-252 (53.8 - 63.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance​
This is a pretty typical Excadrill set, and is here as a Toxapex checker as well as a pretty powerful pokemon in general. It can OHKO lots of pokemon, especially after spikes damage, and can clear up teams with a max Speed and 252 Attack-boosted EQ. It can set up too, and after a Swords Dance and Rapid Spin it can easily cut through teams. Its Mold Breaker allows it to hit Rotom-H and -W, as well as stop Cinderace from getting Libero STAB. A pretty useful pokemon overall, and one that clears up some gaps in the team.
252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Clefable: 348-410 (88.3 - 104%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 282-332 (90.6 - 106.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Wash: 318-374 (104.9 - 123.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Dragapult @ Spell Tag
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
The final member of the team, Dragapult, is not in the spotlight, more hiding in the shadows (cringy pun intended). It is great for clearing up teams alongside Excadrill and has a Spell Tag-boosted Hex for Ghost STAB. I was thinking of Fire Blast instead of U-Turn to prevent a possible Excadrill sweep, but decided that Cinderace could take care of that. Dragapult can provide momentum like Cinderace with U-Turn, and can switch out after its Sp.Atk is exhausted by a Draco Meteor. Will-O-Wisp really hurts Alola-Marowak and Urshifu, with the former then being OHKOed after a burn and the latter 2HKOing everything at +1 Attack.
252+ SpA Spell Tag Dragapult Hex (130 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Marowak-Alola: 558-656 (172.7 - 203%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Urshifu: 292-345 (85.6 - 101.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
252+ SpA Spell Tag Dragapult Hex (65 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Alakazam: 242-288 (96.4 - 114.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
Team Usage Tips
  • Don't let Magearna set up on you. It can sweep through the team after a Shift Gear and Calm Mind. Switch in to Toxapex and Haze immediately.
  • +1 Speed Excadrill is pretty worrying, but Ferrothorn can handle it with a Body Press.​
  • When playing against defensive teams, start with Ferrothorn to lay down max Spikes, and then switch in to Cinderace to KO as many pokemon as possible (but don't keep attacking until Cinderace is knocked out, as it may be useful later on.​
  • Toxapex can slowly whittle down pokemon who can't KO it after a Recover, with Toxic. This is very useful in a 1v1 or against offensive teams.​
  • Status may be problematic, but don't switch into Comfey in an unfavourable situation.​
Threats

As I said above, if Magearna gets to set up it can be very dangerous, but otherwise it is no problem. Excadrill, Cinderace and Ferrothorn deal with no stat boost Magearna very well, but only the latter can attempt to stop a boosted Magearna.

Similarly to Magearna, Rillaboom can threaten the team after a Swords Dance. Cinderace deals with it well, though, even after a +2 in Attack (that's why I keep saying to keep Cinderace alive).

An Excadrill in sand can outspeed the whole team and can either OHKO or 2HKO most of the team (barring Ferrothorn). To counter this, 2HKO Excadrill with a Body Slam from Ferrothorn.

And finally, the devil himself, Azumarill after a Belly Drum can obliterate this team if not handled properly. Toxapex has a 63% chance to not be OHKOed by Knock Off, Azumarill's strongest move against it, so if Azumarill is switched in go to Toxapex immediately and Haze. If this fails, sacrifice Cinderace (who Sucker Punches) and then send out Comfey, who will Giga Drain and finish it off.

PokePaste and Credits
Here's the PokePaste:
Code:
https://pokepast.es/e389e8782c393370
Massive thanks to TheMoneyMeister who reviewed my team on Showdown. I hope you enjoyed reading and hopefully will use this team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)