BW OU Counting The Hours

Counting The Hours:

So I'm finally "learning" XY, which also means I feel like it's time to retire my last decent BW OU team. This team came to exist a couple of tutoring rounds ago, and it's been relatively successful until now. It's an offensive Rain team with the focus on the sheer power of Specs Tornadus;:

Drown (Politoed) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SAtk / 248 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Encore

Choice Scarf Politoed is, in my opinion, the best set it can run in OU; at least it's not entirely a waste of a spot. In the Rain, its boosted Hydro Pumps are pretty powerful, so it has the potential to put some real pressure on my opponent. Ice Beam is obviously for Dragons and Grass-types and Psychic hits Keldeo and Toxicroak (a big threat otherwise) decently hard. Encore is the filler move, but it's useful to prevent set-up sweepers from setting up.

BitterTaste (Tentacruel) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump

Neliel suggested this to me, and I had to use offensive Tentacruel for a while before I fell in love with it. It's a great lure for the likes of Keldeo, Rotom-W, Gastrodon and Jellicent and stuff that's usually a faster threat, like Landorus-T. Obviously the main job of Tentacruel is to Spin hazards away, and unlike Starmie, who outclasses this set normally, Tentacruel isn't Pursuit weak and can take hits better. Add to that, that he packs quite the surprise value :p
The moveset offers near perfect coverage, with Acid Spray to lower the SDef stat by 2. Giga Drain, Rain Dish and Black Sludge allow for good enough survivability.

TheGoodLife (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Perish Song
- Recover
- U-turn

Celebi tanks the hits from most special attackers, and it's natural bulk and relatively good defensive typing, allows it to take physical hits not to bad either. Psychic is the STAb move of choice and is good versus the likes of Breloom. Recover is here for the obvious longevity; and Perish Song + U-turn + Dugtrio is a pretty nifty move.

Bully (Dugtrio) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Reversal

Mainly used to destroy other weather Pokemon, but with the presence of multiple U-turners in this team, Dugtrio can do a surprise kill almost every battle. It has good offensive synergy with Scizor (who lures out Heatran and Magnezone) and Tornadus (who lures out SDef Jirachi). Everyone knows what Dugtrio is good for, and its job is pretty straightforward. Other then that, he sets up the obligatory Stealth Rocks; often considered the best move in the game. I went with Stone Edge as the last move because Thunderus (and even opposing Tornadus) were a potential threat otherwise.

Pain (Scizor) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Scizor has been the most used pokemon on several occasions, and for good reason. It's just terrific at whatever job it does. Early game has tanks powerful moves such as Draco Meteor and help trap stuff with U-turn + Dugtrio, while healing off damage with Roost; and late game, he makes a more then adequate sweeper with SD + Bullet Punch. Most people don't expect Sword Dance on a U-Turn set, so that's good surprise value.

GiveIntoMe (Tornadus) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Focus Blast
- Tailwind

Tornadus is the boss of the team. Choice Specs Hurricane just hits everything incredibly hard. And whatever it doesn't is taken care of by the rest of the team (mainly Dugtrio). In fact, Hurricane is so powerful, the other moves don't even get used 95% of the time. Nonetheless they are still there for coverage, should the need arise. Focus Blast hits Steel-types and Tyranitar hard, and U-Turn allows for early game scouting (and trapping). Tailwind is a last ditch effort move, should the opponent get something dangerous out.

---

Well that was the team, I hope it was enjoyable.
For threats; this being an offensive team, there are plenty. Scarf Jirachi, offensive Starmie and EB Jolteon could be pretty dangerous because of their Speed, and the coverage they get from their moves. The biggest threat imo is arguably Choice Scarf Landorus-T. I lack a decent Rock resist; and unlike Terrakion, Dugtrio is pretty useless against it. A healthy Politoed or a well-timed Tail Wind are good counter-measures.

Hi there Delko! This is a pretty great rain HO team, and has all the necessary tools to succeed. I feel that bulky water types are difficult for your team to break through e.g. Tentacruel and Jellicent, as you really only have Dugtrio and Tornadus to truly kill them, and they aren't exactly known for longevity. I also see a big issue fighting against Ferrothorn, as again you have nothing but the aforementioned two pokemon to blast it, which is a worry for the team if they are around late game and both those mons are down. If you play well, I do not feel Lando-T is that bad though, simply due to the fact that many of your pokemon can OHKO or 2HKO it with no issue. However, there isn't much to change simply because how well this team functions.

The easiest way to resolve all the previously mentioned issues is to use Offensive SD Scizor, as it can bait in and kill all of the previously mentioned threats between Acrobatics and Superpower, helping you pave a better path for your Tornadus to sweep. It can still switch into 1-2 Draco Meteors and eliminate the threat spamming them, but helps you to shake up a team with strong attacks and great coverage.

Hope I helped!

Scizor @ Flying Gem
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
hey Delko, cool team, looks a lot like BW1 rain teams :o

I think that there are a few weaknesses you need to address though. First of all, it looks like your team is going to have a lot of problems with Jellicent and Ferrothorn. Jellicent just walls most of your team and nothing really likes switching into it, because it can just spread status and wear down your team. You don't have many ways of dealing with it, and your best way is to Acid Spray + Giga Drain it with Tentacruel, which is pretty unreliable, since it's predictable. Ferrothorn also walls a good part of your team and will set up Spikes. Since your spinner can't do much to it, it can stay in against it and continue to set up while you lose health to Leech Seed and Iron Barbs. One change you could consider is making your Tentacruel into the standard SubToxic set. While it doesn't have the same surprise factor as your current set, it allows you to lure in Jellicent and Toxic it so you can wear it down. It also does a bit better against Ferrothorn, giving you the possibility to net a Scald burn on it, and also letting you avoid Leech Seed draining away your health. I'd also give Bug Bite to Scizor instead of U-turn, because it lets you do big damage on Ferrothorn if it tries to 1v1 you while you set up. U-turn is nice and all, but I think on a team like this that has a hard time vs Ferrothorn, you should go for Bug Bite.

Another thing I think has an easy time against your team is Thundurus-T. The standard Double Dancer will beat everything on your team with the right boost, and you can't really switch into it reliably. Celebi really hates taking +2 HP Ices, while the rest will just lose to Thunder(bolt) or HP Ice after an agility. It also gets easy set up against Scizor. I recommend swapping your Celebi for a SubCM Latias. Latias's Speed allows it to do much better against Thundurus-T, since it doesn't outspeed it without Agility and can't do much to it without a NP boost. You can then set up CMs and pose a serious threat to the opponent's team. Latias also means that you do a bit better against Ferrothorn, since it is forced into attacking you, otherwise it's easy for Latias to just set up and sweep. You can also stall out the Gyro Ball PP and set up, and a boosted Latias is one of the most dangerous Pokemon in the metagame.

I think Tailwind isn't really useful on your team, since nothing really benefits from it other than your Tornadus. Most of the time it'll just make you set up fodder for stuff, because you'll be locked into it. Try using Sleep Talk instead, which allows you to take Breloom's Spore. It can also make you net that priority Hurricane thanks to Prankster. You can also try HP Grass, which is nice considering Rotom-W is a threat to your team.

Lastly, I think Gyarados could be somewhat of an issue for your team, especially the SubDD variant. I'd try HP Electric over Psychic on Politoed, since Toxicroak appears to be less of a threat to your team than Gyara, and you need the other moves anyway.

here are the sets:
Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Recover

gl :)

Hi Delko,

This is a really cool offensive Rain Team here. I like the idea of using Dugtrio to remove opposing weather starters and Tornadus checks.

I agree with Brawlfest and Jirachee that bulky waters and Ferrothorn are going to be difficult for to break past. Hydration Vaporeon in particular, although rare, is going to be extremely hard to KO as it has Rest and can Roar Tentacruel out while you Acid Spray/Giga Drain (Giga Drain won't be doing too much to Vaporeon).

To help with bulky waters, I think you can try using an Life Orb Latias set with Draco Meteor, Psyshock, Thunder, and Recover over Celebi. This allows to you power through most bulky waters with Thunder, but also can check electric-types that could be problematic for your team (Thunderus-T, Jolteon) thanks to its great special bulk. Thunder also has a nice 30% paralysis chance which is good for punishing Scarf Jirachi that try to just freely switch-in. Although you lose to Gastrodon, Giga Drain from Tentacruel can take care of the slug.

In addition, I'm going to second Brawlfest's offensive Scizor suggestion. Offensive Scizor allows you to easily remove Ferrothorn/bulky waters, which really helps Tornadus to spam Hurricane more easily.

Hope this helps!

Sets:
Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Recover

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)