Metagame Cross Evolution

Have you done the tiering survey?

• Yes

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • I'll do it later

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm asking the community for their most annoying sets. I haven't found anything truly heinous yet but this one can grind some gears.

Slaking (Tinkatuff) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Truant
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough/Thunder Wave
- Skill Swap
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Great to lead with. You can probably run a more defensive spread. 135/135/75/85/92/88 base stats. Skill swap truant is hilarious. Please share your nasty ideas.
You Want Annoying? I gotchu

1680662795166.png

Clodsire (Dunsparce) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Coil
- Earthquake

walls everything, refuses to elaborate, sweeps with coil

I'm asking the community for their most annoying sets. I haven't found anything truly heinous yet but this one can grind some gears.

Jolly Nature
- Skill Swap
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Great to lead with. You can probably run a more defensive spread. 135/135/75/85/92/88 base stats. Skill swap truant is hilarious. Please share your nasty ideas.
Clodsire (Bronzor) @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Fighting/Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Body Press
- Toxic
- Iron Defense
- Recover

Refuses to die, boots up to about 950 defence, sweeps with Body Press.

You Want Annoying? I gotchu

View attachment 505305
Tera Type: Normal
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Coil
- Earthquake

walls everything, refuses to elaborate, sweeps with coil
Yeah mine would be this but but with Tera Poison, Rocky Helmet, and 252 HP/4+ Def/244 Spd/8 Spe.

Aside from this, though, I think the Prankster Destiny Bond set I shared would be very annoying.

I'm bad but here's a couple fun mons I guess.

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 10.37.08 PM.png

:sv/cetoddle:
Breloom (Cetoddle) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Mach Punch
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Technician Ice Shard and Mach Punch make Cetoddle a really good revenge killer / maybe sweeper, and it's no longer weak to rocks. Ice is good for the ground/flyings. I don't think Belly Drum is worth it since setting up is hard and you're still walled by Unaware shit (and Tsareena dudes)

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 10.40.00 PM.png

:sv/sliggoo:
Hatterene (Sliggoo) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
Tera Type: Steel / Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Stored Power
- Nuzzle

This gets broken a lot by coil dunsparce variants and stuff, but good bulk, great typing, setup+magic bounce are really nice traits to have. Maybe there's a better variant of this?

Last edited:

Jolly Nature
- Skill Swap
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

You want annoying stuff, eh? Then let me share the Dunsparce I used on my Clodzor team:

:sv/Dunsparce: :Glimmora:
Glimmsparce
Typing: Normal
Stats: 135/90/118/90/86/71

Glimmora (Dunsparce) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Corrosion
Tera Type: Ghost
Impish Nature
- Mortal Spin
- Toxic
- Spikes/Stealth Rock/Toxic Spikes
- Roost

Wanna spread Toxic with impunity? Steel Types or Tera Poison Clodsparce feeling safe against said Toxic attempts? Want to punish Steel Types for Spinblocking? Say no more, Corrosion is here to help! (*Yes, Steel Types still block Mortal Spin. But Toxic puts them into an awkward position.)
Corrosion Glimmsparce is just a pain to deal with if the receiving end doesn't have Poison Heal or plain old Gholdengo. Turns out, giving a Corrosion mon recovery makes it pretty annoying. Even Magic Bounce can get harassed with Mortal Spin.
However, annoying as it may be, it is a pretty passive mon.

DosDogs

I like Cross Evolution
is a Pre-Contributor

Jolly Nature
- Skill Swap
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Dark Koopatrol came up with a stench pop bomb set.
:sv/tandemaus: :muk:
Muk (Tandemaus) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Stench
Jolly Nature
- Population Bomb
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Beat Up
One of his posts has the team he made for (I think its on the end of page 5)
You want annoying stuff, eh? Then let me share the Dunsparce I used on my Clodzor team:

:sv/Dunsparce: :Glimmora:
Glimmsparce
Typing: Normal
Stats: 135/90/118/90/86/71

Glimmora (Dunsparce) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Corrosion
Impish Nature
- Mortal Spin
- Toxic
- Spikes/Stealth Rock/Toxic Spikes
- Roost

Wanna spread Toxic with impunity? Steel Types or Tera Poison Clodsparce feeling safe against said Toxic attempts? Want to punish Steel Types for Spinblocking? Say no more, Corrosion is here to help! (*Yes, Steel Types still block Mortal Spin. But Toxic puts them into an awkward position.)
Corrosion Glimmsparce is just a pain to deal with if the receiving end doesn't have Poison Heal or plain old Gholdengo. Turns out, giving a Corrosion mon recovery makes it pretty annoying. Even Magic Bounce can get harassed with Mortal Spin.
However, annoying as it may be, it is a pretty passive mon.
I hate this thing, I went up against one at you have to kill it fast if you want to use your bulky mons, but it just dies to hyper offence.
One more mon I wanted to share here that I have been using to counter the moths and Clodzong(before it sets up), could also deal with that Glimmora there too.
:sv/primeape: :meowscarada:
Meowscarada (Primeape) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Poison
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Trick
- Flower Trick

Last edited:
Okay, I just need to gush here after an intense match on the ladder that I somehow pulled back after a spectacularly disastrous misclick.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9crossevolution-1836671060

I mean, they did let me set up with no care in the world, but my interest in Clodzor turned into outright adoration, after the weight it had pulled there. (That feeling when the Unaware wall beats Tera Fairy Tinksharp, lmao)
On a more serious tone, Clodzor actually has its merits beyond just being a stonewall to Stored Power users. It acts in a similar way to Clodsparce, but with the benefit of a Toxic immunity right off the bat, while shoring up its Defense more quickly. The drawback is having to rely on Body Press as the attacking move, but Toxic at least somewhat helps against Ghosts...unless they are immune to Toxic. It's probably not as reliable or splashable as Clodsparce, but this allows a Dunsparce base for something else.

:sv/bronzor: :Clodsire:
Clodzor
Typing: Steel/Psychic
Stats: 132/54/101/44/161/28

Clodsire (Bronzor) @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Fighting/Poison
Calm Nature
- Body Press
- Toxic
- Iron Defense
- Recover

The set, as mentioned, is just standard Clodsparce stuff, but with IronPress instead of Coil and Body Slam/EQ.
I chose Tera Fighting to add more bite to Body Press and resist incoming Dark moves (Hey there, Tinksharp), but Tera Poison works if you want to keep the Toxic immunity.
What a great addition to some of the most annoying sets. I tried both clodsparce and clodzor but this one for me is easier to pilot. Switch in on boomburst and start setting up.

Special attackers have a huge issue right now. Either try to punch through unaware with big damage from the get go and get walled by frost scales. Try to set up through frost scales, get walled by unaware. I guess we can say the same thing for hound and fluffy but I haven't seen good set for it yet.

You're probably going to never encounter this on ladder, but here's something that hard-walls it: https://pokepast.es/72b33c093d4582dd. Now, don't get me wrong, this absolutely sucks, but I found it funny and this was the best I could come up with.

If, however, you run Bitter Blade instead, there's actually a pretty common set that hard-walls it: https://pokepast.es/fb052df781519859. Ironically, this also gets walled by itself, but I think that's what usually run - though I'm not quite sure about this as I've never actually used it myself.

If you run pretty much any other move, though, you might get walled, but at least you'll be able to deal damage. (Crabhammer is still perfectly fine though.)

Anyway, now for a completely unrelated set I wanted to share here: https://pokepast.es/74b75e539d4c5f5e! Basically, it's a Prankster crevo but it has priority Destiny Bond. Maybe you'll catch your opponent off guard? You could also change the base and some of the moves to make this work a bit better, such as giving it a non-status move so that Destiny Bond effectively lasts for 2 turns. Be warned, though, if the base is Stage 1, it'll have to use Morgrem as an evolution if it wants to set screens. The once exception is Ralts, but that's just a worse Kirlia.

EDIT: Taunt could also be good on this.
Great idea, thanks for pointing it out. I ended up going a different direction, same idea.

Grafaiai (Maschiff) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Roar
- Destiny Bond
- Knock Off
- Parting Shot

Roar for negative priority to guarantee the 2 turn destiny bond. Knock off when they switch, parting shot to bring in your favorite set up sweeper or breaker in. If you have hazards up the amount of switches this thing forces is ridiculous. Its bulk isn't as great as I would like but it's very fun to bring in on a set up sweeper and assert your dominance.

Don't really know if someone mentioned these sets but I find them to be pretty fun. I'm new to this OM so if you have any suggestion, feel free to let me know.

Ceruledge (Murkrow) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Night Slash
- Shadow Claw
- Close Combat

This mon is stupidly fast. It has good defensive typing and decent bulk so setting up is quite easy. The STABs are kind of bad so it is not really the best sweeper. Not sure what Tera type I should use because I'm not really used to the meta.

Meowscarada (Fraxure) @ Choice Band
Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Bug
Jolly Nature
- First Impression
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Outrage

This is the first idea I had so I find it kind of special to me. On low ladder it is pretty good but later on it is just an ok revenge killer due to the abundace of Hippopotas. Maybe I should change something about this set?

Hydreigon (Haunter) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Bomb

This set feels a little bit boring to me mostly because the ability stay the same. I still have fun using this, tho, for it feels like Gengar in AAA. I don't really know how to break Chansey with this mon, especially the Chansey and Skeledirge one.

Last edited:
I have seen nobody use or talk about this mon aside from myself, and I am absolutely in love with using it. Topped at top twenty (one) on ladder with it as the all-star of my team

1680755928982.png

1680755186598.png

espathra (Girafarig) @ Mirror Herb
Ability: Opportunist
Tera Type: Dark / Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spa
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Roost
- Tera Blast

Oh, is that a QD mon? Here, I'll steal double your boosts then sweep your team
Swords Dance? Physical Tera Blast at +4.
Pick your poison for tera, I use dark to beat opposing girafmoths in a stored power attrition battle. Fighting is great too, OHKOs anything that's immune/bulky enough to live Stored Power

Last edited:
Oh boy, time for a team analysis of sorts! considering that I peaked at #8 on the ladder with this team, I thought it would be a good resource for anyone who wants to build in cross evolution!
Screenshot 2023-04-05 6.49.42 PM.png

:sv/crabrawler: :sv/ceruledge:
Ceruledge (Crabrawler) @ Focus Sash
82/157/97/52/107/103
Ability: Weak Armor
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Claw
- Night Slash

The star of the show, at least in my opinion. I made a forum post above, so rather than repeat what I said there, I'll link that Here

:sv/hippopotas: :sv/gyarados:
143/187/102/83/122/33
Gyarados (Hippopotas) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Alright, so heres where the new information comes in. I Really Like This Set, as it isn't just a wall, its a wall that dishes out some of the hardest damage without ANY investment. Slack Off And Rocks are a give, and EQ is good overall damage. You may ask, why ice fang? The answer is fairly simple. opposing hippodoses, as well as vivillon evos that gain flying type. Do not Tera this mon, it gains nothing from it

:sv/dunsparce: :sv/clodsire:
175/100/85/85/140/50
Tera Type: Poison
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Coil
- Earthquake

This Mon, Holy Shit This Mon is funny as fuck. You know all those stored power sweepers and stat boost mons. Bro goes NO. In all seriousness, I feel this is a required mon on any team right now. It just walls too much to not include. you can put the 4 speed evs into attack or defense, i just put them into speed to outspeed other clodsparces.

:sv/miraidon:
Miraidon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hadron Engine
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Electro Drift
- Draco Meteor

Its More or less just a miraidon. This is likely getting banned, but to simplify what it does, its a fast hard hitting mon with the ability to pivot with volt switch. don't spam your electric moves until the opposing ground types are removed.

:sv/quaxwell: :sv/tsareena:
90/165/115/75/110/75
Tsareena (Quaxwell) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Queenly Majesty
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn
- Liquidation
- Roost

This really isn't anything that special, just a bulky spinner with recovery, u-turn, and the ability to hit back decently hard with liquidation. I dont really know about the tera I chose, though this doesn't tera too much.

:sv/girafarig: :sv/frosmoth:
110/120/90/170/125/130
Frosmoth (Girafarig) @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Scales
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Stored Power
- Substitute
- Dazzling Gleam

There is a very good reason why this is more than likely getting banned, and that is because holy shit stored power ice scales and quiver dance can die in a fire. this is part of the reason why clodsparce is a required mon, and i've almost ran tera dark on clod to deny stored power. Basically, click quiver dance, sub if you need to, and then stored power until you die or a dark type comes in, in that case dazzling gleam the mf.

So theres my very basic team analysis, feel free to DM on showdown when I am online for help with building cross evo!

https://pokepast.es/1071faa7abcd75e2

Last edited:
:sv/girafarig: :sv/frosmoth:
110/120/90/170/125/130
Frosmoth (Girafarig) @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Scales
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Stored Power
- Substitute
- Dazzling Gleam

There is a very good reason why this is more than likely getting banned, and that is because holy shit stored power ice scales and quiver dance can die in a fire. this is part of the reason why clodsparce is a required mon, and i've almost ran tera dark on clod to deny stored power. Basically, click quiver dance, sub if you need to, and then stored power until you die or a dark type comes in, in that case dazzling gleam the mf.
Clodsparce is actually pretty outclassed when it comes to countering this set, though Girafarig does have options to blow over better counters.

I have seen nobody use or talk about this mon aside from myself, and I am absolutely in love with using it. Topped at top twenty (one) on ladder with it as the all-star of my team

View attachment 505681

View attachment 505677
espathra (Girafarig) @ Mirror Herb
Ability: Opportunist
Tera Type: Dark / Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spa
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Roost
- Tera Blast

Oh, is that a QD mon? Here, I'll steal double your boosts then sweep your team
Swords Dance? Physical Tera Blast at +4.
Pick your poison for tera, I use dark to beat opposing girafmoths in a stored power attrition battle. Fighting is great too, OHKOs anything that's immune/bulky enough to live Stored Power
You should reinvest those 31 Attack IVs considering that SD/DD stealing is relevant

Before anything else, please welcome anaconja back to the council!

Girafarig, Ice Scales, and Miraidon are now quickbanned!
:sv/girafarig::sv/frosmoth::sv/miraidon:
This was the second banslate of the generation, addressing the main problematic Pokemon that have arisen as during the first week of Cross Evolution's time on the ladder. This slate was made primarily to address Girafarig, Ice Scales, and Miraidon. Last Respects and Rage Fist were also included in this slate, as they were requested early on. As with last time, a >50% threshold excluding abstention was required for a ban.

anaconjaDosDogsin the hillsPQRDGsmellslikememeZuldaarACTION
GirafarigBANDNBBANDNBBANBAN4-2-0 BAN
Ice ScalesBANBANBANBANABSDNB4-1-1 BAN
MiraidonABSBANDNBBANBANBAN4-1-1 BAN
Rage FistDNBDNBDNBDNBDNBDNB0-6-0 NO ACTION
Last RespectsDNBBANDNBBANDNBBAN3-3-0 NO ACTION

Reasonings:
Girafarig has been a dominant force, warping the entire metagame around it. In particular, its Frosmoth Stored Power sets elicited the use of highly specific and oftentimes suboptimal checks in order to beat it, and even then those checks could even fail to check the specific sets they were tailored to due to Girafarig's versatility. On top of this, it wasn't even a guarantee that Girafarig was even running Frosmoth or Stored Power to begin with, as it has a laundry list of potential evos it can pick and choose from due to its well-distributed stats and good movepool. Its base typing is already fairly decent, but Girafarig also stands out as an excellent user of Tera, as both its offensive and defensive potentials synergize well with several Tera-types, adding an additional element of unpredictability to an already oppressive Pokemon. Due to its power and set variability, Girafarig is now banned.
Ice Scales was deemed broken in the previous generation, and it will be banned this gen for largely the same reasons; the mechanic of halving all special damage is uniquely punishing especially on Frosmoth, and enables broken setup to a generally unhealthy degree.
Miraidon's usage is generally a bit lower compared to Girafarig and Ice Scales, but this should not detract from its qualities that make it extremely difficult to deal with in the current meta. 135 is generally a fairly good speed tier, and the few Pokemon that do outspeed are generally ill-equipped to deal with Miraidon or are simply KO'd by its Choice Scarf variant. While 135 SpA is not spectacular at first glance, Hadron Engine not only powers up its Electro Drift, it also grants it an effective 197 base SpA courtesy of the 1.33x stat boost. This, in combination with Miraidon's unique STAB combination, makes it nearly impossible to switch into, as even the bulkiest special walls in Dunsparce-Clodsire and Chansey evos are already nearly 2HKO'd by Electro Drift before Tera. Draco Meteor covers the Ground-types that like to switch into it, and aside from relatively niche AV sets that are prone to being worn down, nothing save for Ice Scales users can safely stomach Miraidon's absurd level of power.
The council was mostly unanimous in allowing Rage Fist, as it isn't particularly broken or oppressive in Cross Evolution. However, Last Respects was a split vote that ultimately resulted in a no-ban; concerns related to Basculegion and Basculin-White were brought up, but ultimately the council saw no reason to ban a move that is not currently broken.

To reiterate: Girafarig, Ice Scales, and Miraidon are now banned from Cross Evolution. Tagging Kris to implement, and thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Tsareena (Bisharp) @ Leftovers
Ability: Queenly Majesty
Tera Type: Flying
Careful Nature
- Night Slash
- Acupressure
- Substitute
- Synthesis

85/205/150/70/120/80

This thing is a demon. Immune to psychic, toxic, prankster moves, and priority, and after a tera it can completely wall things like dunsparce + clodsire who run eq/toxic/coil/roost. Night slash is a great move because it has no immunities and a high crit chance to help break though some fat mons. Works best with screens and the EV’s can definitely be tinkered with, I went full SpD to help prevent weak special moves from breaking the sub.

Thanks for the new bans!

However, this is just my opinion:

The game has become somewhat stagnant. No one is able to be too creative because the same obviously powerful mons are being used constantly to cross-evolve into. Gyarados, Clodsire, Noivern etc. And the same mons are being used because they have the highest BST, Girafarig (banned now), Stantler, Dunsparce, Primeape, Bisharp etc. I literally don't come across a team that doesn't utilise at least 50% of these mons I've mentioned. There is SO MUCH possibility in this meta, so many options, so much creativity to be explored, but nothing comes close to being as good as the main few mons that lead the meta and so no one tries too hard.

And I expect there to be mons that are used more, it's inevitable, but when the meta gets to be this predictable and the only way to beat said mons is to use the same ones or same variants of cross-evolutions, the meta becomes boring to me. You could find counters, yes indeed, but when you are finding these counters specifically to take on the same threats, those threats to me, become centralising.

Don't get me wrong, I know we can't just get rid of mons to make the meta more fun and truly explore the many options we have, but I do think something should be done? I don't know what though haha The meta is just becoming less fun every time I play it :(

I remember this happening before when this meta came out and I think I said the same thing then as well! Please do explain to me why my opinion is incorrect here, I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts!
:)

I'm confused, can you please clarify whether Frosmoth or just Ice Scales that is banned and edit the original post to reflect this?
Apologies for that, Frosmoth was a typo. Ice Scales was banned and the main post currently reflects this.

Also I got a question, how do you make a Pokemon's tera type the same one as its original type? I wanted to use tera dragon Fraxure but during the battle it turns to its Cross Evo's type :/
Known bug, you need to import/export and then save in the builder to set the Tera-type to an evo's primary type.

DosDogs

I like Cross Evolution
is a Pre-Contributor
Thanks for the new bans!

The game has become somewhat stagnant. No one is able to be too creative because the same obviously powerful mons are being used constantly to cross-evolve into. Gyarados, Clodsire, Noivern etc. And the same mons are being used because they have the highest BST, Girafarig (banned now), Stantler, Dunsparce, Primeape, Bisharp etc. I literally don't come across a team that doesn't utilise at least 50% of these mons I've mentioned. There is SO MUCH possibility in this meta, so many options, so much creativity to be explored, but nothing comes close to being as good as the main few mons that lead the meta and so no one tries too hard.

And I expect there to be mons that are used more, it's inevitable, but when the meta gets to be this predictable and the only way to beat said mons is to use the same ones or same variants of cross-evolutions, the meta becomes boring to me. You could find counters, yes indeed, but when you are finding these counters specifically to take on the same threats, those threats to me, become centralising.

Don't get me wrong, I know we can't just get rid of mons to make the meta more fun and truly explore the many options we have, but I do think something should be done? I don't know what though haha The meta is just becoming less fun every time I play it :(

I remember this happening before when this meta came out and I think I said the same thing then as well! Please do explain to me why my opinion is incorrect here, I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts!
CE's meta has always been a centralized meta(or so I've heard, and looking back at past gens I can see that) and minimal ban lists, this gen will probably have a sizable ban list in contrast to past gens. Yes there are some super strong bases but thats just how the meta is rn, the meta will also change drastically after DLC drop and will change some more after Home drop. A big part of that is how the month is also young and the meta hasn't developed fully, so after a week or so people will find counters to those mons, there has already been some of that with the giraffe and such. Give it some time and we will see if anything pops out as truly broken.

Thanks for the new bans!

personally get another normal type cant go wrong with that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)