SM RU Demigods (featuring DD + Z Zydog)

Sometimes, even the most powerful of beings that lurk in the Ubers tier start off small. As it so happens, RU contains two such mons, one of which is the crux of this team. This will be my second team in which I wish to explain my odd set choices, as I feel they require explanation. I also consider this to be a learning experience, as I don't fully understand why the norm is, well, the norm. So let's get into it.

Zygarde-10% @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance

I don't know how this set isn't on the Smogon analysis page yet, because it is a surprisingly effective wincon. Even at 10% of its power, Zygarde is a powerful adversary that shouldn't be underestimated. After setting up a single Dragon Dance, it can outpace common Scarfers such as Flygon, Tyrantrum, and Gardevoir. Thousand Arrows is its move of choice, hitting pretty much anything for a hefty chunk of damage. Extreme Speed allows it to circumvent Sucker Punch users such as Honchkrow and the occasional Toxicroak. Everything else is struck down or at least severely wounded by Devastating Drake.

Another fun fact is that even with its mushy defenses, Zygarde can switch into an unboosted STAB move from Salazzle, threatening her out so it can set up. I admit that there's a lot of risk involved in such a tactic, but considering the rest of my team, it's probably my best option right now. Speaking of which...

Phyllis (Blastoise-Mega) (F) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

This time, we're getting into the controversial sets early. On the surface, Phyllis is the standard offensive hazard control variant of Mega Blastoise. Her main cannon packs a hefty punch, with Dark Pulse dissuading spinblockers and Ice Beam catching Grass types like Roserade and Shaymin on the switch. However, while most Mega Blastoise go STABless, Phyllis prefers her Water Pulse to more effectively deal with Nidoqueen and Donphan. And here's where I explain my thinking behind this.

See, to my understanding, the reason Mega Blastoise runs Aura Sphere is for mons such as Registeel, Umbreon, and Porygon 2. The problem is that those mons are specially defensive, anyway. They'll take a hefty chunk from Aura Sphere, sure, but there's nothing stopping them from messing with Mega Blastoise back (more on that later). Meanwhile, having strong water STAB means that Phyllis can switch in while Nidoqueen or Donphan set up their hazards, then she can bop them before they lay waste to her. This is especially true about Nidoqueen, who can easily drop Mega Blastoise with a Sheer Force-boosted Thunderbolt before it gets a chance to spin. A STABless non-Mega Launcher boosted Ice Beam isn't going to prevent that.

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash

Shaymin is the second demigod of the team, playing a similar role that its Sky Form plays in Ubers (thought it's arguably more effective here). With Natural Cure, Shaymin can absorb status without fear of lasting consequences. The SubSeed combo along with its solid Speed tier deters set up from the likes of Snorlax, and Seed Flare packs a powerful punch. For opposing Grass types, Shaymin borrows some power from its Sky Form with Air Slash. This also comes in handy against Fighting types, namely Virizion and Toxicroak.

Izanami (Mandibuzz) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 Spe
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Foul Play

Another variation on a typical Smogon set (though it could be outdated), Izanami serves as defensive support. She's able to tank most physical blows, and while it's not as impressive, her Special Defense isn't anything to sneeze at, either. She can Taunt more passive mons, preventing them from pulling any sort of shenanigans, though she has to be wary of Florges and Nidoqueen. Instead of Toxic, she utilizes Brave Bird to improve the matchup against Fighting types. Foul Play allows her to punish strong Physical attackers, namely Metagross and Alolan Marowak.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

The most powerful of the the Titan Trio (at least by tier standards), Registeel stands with Mandibuzz as the second defensive sponge and resident Stealth Rocker. With its Calm nature and max Special Defense investment, it can tank most super effective blows. Remember how I said that Mega Blastoise's Aura Sphere doesn't cut it against Registeel? This is what I mean. Registeel can easily take one Aura Sphere and put Mega Blastoise on a timer with Toxic. Protect allows it to scout for Choiced enemies and stall out the Toxic timer, and Seismic Toss deals a nice chunk of damage, as well as prevent Registeel from being Taunt bait.

Melior (Gardevoir) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Trick
- Healing Wish

The last mon on the team, but usually the first on the front lines. The fairy who watches the Sparrowhawk is as vigilant as she is speedy. With her Scarf, she can outpace fast threats such as Noivern, Salazzle, and Swellow, striking them down with her STAB. Once all speedy threats are dealt with (or if there are none), she can Trick her Choice Scarf onto more passive mons like Registeel, Bronzong, and Milotic, thus preventing them from doing their jobs correctly. As a last resort, she can sacrifice herself with Healing Wish, revitalizing anyone who might've been heavily wounded in the battle. Her Trace ability is especially handy against Sun teams, either setting off Drought first to rob the opponent of the Heat Rock boost or stealing the opponent's Chlorophyl and taking advantage of the sun herself.

The biggest threat to this team would have to be Salazzle, as no one can switch into it safely. Sun teams also pose a problem, as the only recourse I currently have is the aforementioned Gardevoir. As always, help and advice is always appreciated, and I hope I've adequately explained where I'm coming from.

Importable version of the team

Cerulean Gaze

Banned deucer.
Hi, nice team you have there! I think some possible improvements I would suggest is to switch Scarf Gardevoir into a Specs Variant for increased damage output and make Shaymin scarfed so you still have a form of speed control. Running Healing Wish on Scarf Shaymin would also work nicely as you can fully recover DD Zyg which is your wincon.

Hi, nice team you have there! I think some possible improvements I would suggest is to switch Scarf Gardevoir into a Specs Variant for increased damage output and make Shaymin scarfed so you still have a form of speed control. Running Healing Wish on Scarf Shaymin would also work nicely as you can fully recover DD Zyg which is your wincon.
I apologize, but I'm not sure how that's gonna help my Salazzle switch-in problem.

Run Earth Power on Scarf Shaymin. A simple but effective set of Seed Flare, Air Slash, Earth Power, and Healing Wish can lure Salazzle and KO it.
The problem is that Scarf Gardevoir already does that with Psyshock, and neither Gardevoir or Shaymin can safely switch into a Sludge Wave or Acid Downpour. As I stated before, Zygarde can tank one Sludge Wave or Fire Blast if it's unboosted, but otherwise, not much can switch into Salazzle when it's already on the field. And nothing besides Shaymin likes being badly poisoned, but again, Shaymin runs the risk of switching into a Sludge Wave.

Cerulean Gaze

Banned deucer.
The problem is that Scarf Gardevoir already does that with Psyshock, and neither Gardevoir or Shaymin can safely switch into a Sludge Wave or Acid Downpour. As I stated before, Zygarde can tank one Sludge Wave or Fire Blast if it's unboosted, but otherwise, not much can switch into Salazzle when it's already on the field. And nothing besides Shaymin likes being badly poisoned, but again, Shaymin runs the risk of switching into a Sludge Wave.
I guess you have a point, one way to proactively deal with this is to invest on your Blastoise and make it Specially Defensive so you can tank at least one Sludge Wave and proceed to KO in return.

One thing that I can say is that when Zygarde get banned I used a set like that of Zygarde 10% with Groundium Z and it sweeped anything, he has got a crazy potential but a horrible bulk, sadly :(

Yo, I would also like to play RU and I would like to give you a hand on the set up of the team.

I hope you will appreciate my changes.

• Weaknesses:

>>> it could be a difficult wallbreaker to manage, especially if he were to use the Z after dancing.

In minor way insert also
and

• Major Changes:

>>>

You need some revenge-kill weaknesses listed.
The best set I propose is Band.
With 2 priority.
I think it has a good synergy with a spinner and a possible defogger.
As if that were not enough, Garde can use HW to make him recover important HP.

• Minor Changes:

(move change)

Deog >>> Taunt
It offers better support for Golisopod n Zygarde10% and leads to a better hazard control even against Toxic Spikes.

• New Threats:

Absolutely destructive since it could destroy your team as it has no revenue.
U should force on the entrances once the rocks are in the field and eventually carry in range or of Garde or Golisopod.

HO teams create a lot of pressure on your BO, you should use Zygarde with caution and maybe spin the Weebs, with particular care to Linoone.

• Conclusion

The team is excellent against what the current metagame offers, you have several ways of sweep given by an excellent defensive core 'cause wanted to make targeted changes without losing the team's look you pointed out to me.
Btw, I tried to fill the weaknesses that he presents in the current metagame, always considering a very solid approach, without over-naturalizing the playstyle you imposed on me.

I hope you enjoyed it.

Your Step​

Yo, I would also like to play RU and I would like to give you a hand on the set up of the team.

I hope you will appreciate my changes.

• Weaknesses:
>>> it could be a difficult wallbreaker to manage, especially if he were to use the Z after dancing.

In minor way insert also
and

• Major Changes:
>>>

You need some revenge-kill weaknesses listed.
The best set I propose is Band.
With 2 priority.
I think it has a good synergy with a spinner and a possible defogger.
As if that were not enough, Garde can use HW to make him recover important HP.

• Minor Changes:
(move change)

Deog >>> Taunt
It offers better support for Golisopod n Zygarde10% and leads to a better hazard control even against Toxic Spikes.

• New Threats:

Absolutely destructive since it could destroy your team as it has no revenue.
U should force on the entrances once the rocks are in the field and eventually carry in range or of Garde or Golisopod.

HO teams create a lot of pressure on your BO, you should use Zygarde with caution and maybe spin the Weebs, with particular care to Linoone.

• Conclusion
The team is excellent against what the current metagame offers, you have several ways of sweep given by an excellent defensive core 'cause wanted to make targeted changes without losing the team's look you pointed out to me.
Btw, I tried to fill the weaknesses that he presents in the current metagame, always considering a very solid approach, without over-naturalizing the playstyle you imposed on me.

I hope you enjoyed it.

Your Step​
I must admit, I am surprised someone else dug up this thread. I'm grateful for the feedback, though I'm not entirely sold on the recommendations.

Banded Golisopod with First Impression doesn't really sound all that smart. You're locking yourself into a move that you can only use once, meaning you have to switch out after you use it. That's a good way to lose momentum. You mentioned that this was for Virizion, which I'll admit is tricky for my setup. However, I've found Virizion is not the biggest threat for me.

Mandibuzz can tank most of Virizion's moves, barring a Swords Dance-boosted Continental Crush. And even then, it's easily revenge killed by Gardevior. Metagross is another mon you listed as a threat, but I haven't had much trouble taking it down with Mandibuzz's Foul Play. I will agree that my team has trouble with Salazzle, though. That thing is very hard to switch into.

I will also concede that sun teams have given me a lot of trouble. I waste a lot of momentum trying to stall out the sun while they hammer away at my guys. Webs have also been a bit of a problem, but it's not as severe.

Also, I already have Mega Blastoise as my spinner. Having Mandibuzz give up the utility of Taunt for Defog is just overkill on the hazard control.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)