Gen 1 Dodrio (UU) [QC 2/2] [GP 2/2] [DONE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
:rb/dodrio:
This is from a draft that was kept prior to the launch of the RBY UU Analysis Project.

[OVERVIEW]

Dodrio is a decently fast threat in RBY UU, notably Speed tying with Tentacruel and Raichu, and possesses great STAB options in Body Slam and Drill Peck. These traits and its amazing Attack stat make for powerful and frequent critical hits; the resulting 19.53% chance makes it a very volatile threat that's difficult for most Pokemon to switch into consistently. Dodrio can further boost its Speed and make up for Speed drops from paralysis through Agility, which has the added bonus of making it more difficult to pin down with Wrap. Its typing is also notable for its immunity to Earthquake and paralysis from Body Slam. These qualities make Dodrio a solid revenge killer and late-game sweeper on offensive teams.

However, Dodrio's defenses are extremely poor, making it very easy to OHKO and heavily damaged by even neutral hits. Worse still, it lacks coverage moves, leaving it stonewalled by Rock-types like Golem and Omastar. Dodrio is a common target for paralysis due to its Speed and fragility too, making it very easy to neuter. As a result, getting Dodrio into the fray can be a difficult task without support from Wrap or smart double-switching.

[SET]
name: Physical Sweeper
move 1: Body Slam
move 2: Drill Peck
move 3: Hyper Beam
move 4: Agility / Toxic

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Body Slam allows Dodrio to spread paralysis while hitting quite hard, 2HKOing fragile threats like Dugtrio and Kadabra. Drill Peck complements this excellently, 2HKOing Haunter, Tangela, and Venusaur, though in Tangela's case Dodrio may have to take Stun Spore to KO it. Dodrio's Hyper Beam is extremely strong, KOing even bulkier threats like Tentacruel and Hypno after a Body Slam on the switch. Finally, Agility is put in the last slot to allow Dodrio to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame. Should it be forced to take paralysis, Dodrio can also use Agility to ignore the Speed drop from it. Toxic is a notable alternate option for threatening Dragonite, forcing it to take more damage than it deals with Wrap. However, using it can be difficult, as it leaves Dodrio open to a potential hit, which can be risky given its fragile nature. As such, using it when anticipating a switch is recommended.

Dodrio, as mentioned before, is extremely frail and dislikes paralysis, so it shouldn't be brought into a game early except as a lead. Lead Dodrio can be used to threaten Tentacruel and Kadabra right out of the gate, usually putting them into range for Dugtrio to KO them after Dodrio goes down. This can be huge, as Pokemon like Tentacruel and Hypno otherwise put immense pressure on teams throughout a game. However, this often means sacrificing Dodrio, which may not be favorable in the long-term. Generally, outside of the lead slot, Dodrio should play a hit-and-run playstyle before cleaning up late-game. Dodrio's two main points of entry are opposing Earthquakes and revenge killing. Its Hyper Beam is notably likely to finish off threats dented by a teammate's Explosion. Dodrio's immunity to Earthquake is especially helpful for double-switching out to Electric-types, reducing risk, and maintaining momentum. This immunity can also be utilized alongside Haunter, with its immunity to Normal-type attacks forming a small immunity core. However, repeatedly switching between them can lead to an early KO with a good prediction from the opponent. Dodrio is also good for taking advantage of threats in a passive state, such as foes using Rest, where it can set up with Agility, outspeed every Pokemon in the tier, and tear the opposing team apart with its immediate offensive presence. Furthermore, Dodrio can set up against Dugtrio or weakened physical attackers like Kangaskhan and Persian, as it forces them out with its powerful offensive capabilities. On top of that, forcing these attackers out isn't even required, as Dodrio will gladly take a hit if it means KOing the opposing Pokemon and potentially ending the game outright.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Dodrio's movepool doesn't leave much in the way of options. Substitute can allow Dodrio to take a bigger hit than it should, but it is limited in utility, as it doesn't block status in RBY. It also doesn't play to the hit-and-run playstyle Dodrio should be employing, fails to stop it from being forced out by Rock-types that resist its STAB moves, and makes it easier to revenge kill due to the move's HP cost.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Rock-types**: Dodrio gets completely walled by Golem and Omastar, as it lacks any attack that can deal even neutral damage. In return, they 2HKO Dodrio with Rock Slide and Blizzard, respectively.

**Articuno**: Articuno's bulk tends to allow it to take enough hits from Dodrio before it OHKOes with Blizzard. In addition, if Articuno uses Agility, Dodrio can't touch it at all unless Blizzard misses.

**Dewgong and Vaporeon**: Both of these Pokemon beat Dodrio one-on-one but take heavy damage in the process. Dewgong can outright OHKO Dodrio with Blizzard, and Vaporeon can survive a Body Slam and subsequent Hyper Beam to KO Dodrio with Blizzard if it has taken any prior damage, dealing a maximum of 92.2%.

**Electabuzz and Raichu**: Both of these threats can either paralyze Dodrio or 2HKO it with Thunderbolt; should Dodrio have taken any chip damage, it will be KOed outright. However, neither can switch in safely due to Body Slam's power and paralysis chance. Plus, even if they switch in on Drill Peck, Hyper Beam has a good chance to KO afterwards. Raichu tends to have even more trouble switching in than Electabuzz because it only Speed ties Dodrio, making the matchup very inconsistent.

**Dragonite**: Dragonite takes Body Slam and Drill Peck very well at full health, unless Dodrio lands a critical hit, and can then paralyze it with Thunder Wave. If Dragonite has already used Agility, it can also use Wrap until Blizzard can KO Dodrio.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Plague von Karma, 236353], [phoopes, 96315]]
- Quality checked by: [[Shellnuts, 491544], [Volk, 530877]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429], [Estronic, 240732]]

Last edited:

Volk

Demonstrably alive.
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Okay, some suggestions before I QC this thing:

Grammar Changes:

Dodrio is an extremely fast threat in RBY UU
Dodrio isn't extremely fast. It's outpaced by 4 significant mons and speed ties another 2. This barely puts Dodrio in the top third.

These blend together with its amazing Attack stat to make for very powerful critical hits
"make for powerful and frequent critical hits"

bolstered by a solid 19.53% chance
This part of the sentence just doesn't flow at all. Either cut it or put it in parentheses after "frequent" or something.

which makes it difficult to pin down with Wrap as a bonus.
Either replace "a bonus" with "well" or rephrase to like "which has the added bonus of making it more difficult to pin down with Wrap." I just don't like the phrasing for some reason.

terrifying Earthquake
I think "terrifying" is unnecessary.

, as well as paralysis from Body Slam
Cut the comma and replace "as well as" with "and."

taking mortal damage from even neutral hits.
The word "mortal" is a tad misleading, as it implies "fatal." To my knowledge, outside of some Explosions, no physical hit can OHKO Dodrio without a critical hit.

compliments
"complements"

The latter can notably be applied after an Explosion to finish off a dented threat, as Dodrio’s Hyper Beam is likely enough to close it out.
Not really sure how common this is and the sentence is a bit confusing. Kind of a weird sentence.

Dodrio's immunity to Earthquake is especially helpful for double-switching into Electric-types like Electabuzz, reducing risk and maintaining an advantageous game state.
This is kind of confusing. I'd prefer "double-switiching out to Electric-types..." Also not sure if I'd recommend a team with Dodrio and Electabuzz. Sounds pretty bad and ridiculously weak to Golem.

such as on Recover turns or Pokemon that have used Rest
"such as when the opposing Pokemon is using Recover or Rest."

Overall, Dodrio's offensive prowess is no joke, but so is its fragility: playing to this is pivotal to its success in the late-game.
"but neither is its fragility..." and "understanding this is pivotal..."

Meta Changes:

Dodrio is also a common target for paralysis due to its Speed and fragility, largely incapacitating it and diminishing its threat level.
Dodrio does carry Agility for this purpose, so I'm not sure if I'd go as far as saying Dodrio is "largely incapacitated." I'd change this to something less dramatic or just cut that part.

Dodrio, as mentioned before, is extremely frail and dislikes paralysis, so it shouldn't be brought into a game early.
Dodrio does actually have some relevance in the lead meta, believe it or not. I wouldn't make such a sweeping statement in this case.

Toxic is also a notable option for threatening Wrap users like Dragonite, forcing them to take more damage than they deal. However, using this can be difficult, as it leaves Dodrio open to a potential hit for the turn, which can be risky given its fragile nature. As such, using this when anticipating a switch is recommended.
I think Toxic should be considered for the main set, possibly slashed with Agility or Body Slam. It's pretty important to keep Dragonite off your back, especially if you plan on using Dodrio in the early to midgame. Without Toxic, I wouldn't recommend sending Dodrio out until Dragonite is at least in Dodrio's KO range. Also, you need not say "Wrap users like Dragonite." Dragonite is the only target for this move. Tentacruel is immune and Tangela and Pinsir aren't likely to stay in in the face of a Drill Peck.

**Dugtrio**: Being faster and possessing Rock Slide, Dugtrio is a valid way to dispatch Dodrio with a 2HKO or OHKO with a critical hit. However, Dugtrio's fragility means it can't safely switch in, and with Agility, Dodrio is significantly more likely to win.
Dugtrio doesn't 2HKO Dodrio with Rock Slide. The move is a 3HKO normally and a 2HKO with a critical hit. Moreover, I wouldn't consider Dugtrio a Dodrio check. Dugtrio can't switch in, loses the 1v1, and sometime even loses when Dodrio switches in to it (thanks to EQ). I'd cut this entirely. Dugtrio just isn't a Dodrio check.

**Haunter**: Haunter is capable of switching in on Dodrio’s Body Slam or Hyper Beam while threatening with a 2HKO from Thunderbolt or an Explosion trade. However, it really doesn’t want to take a Drill Peck if it’s switching in, as it’s slower and 2HKOed almost every time.
Not really seeing how Haunter is a counter to Dodrio either. Drill Peck is usually more spammable than Body Slam because of this Pokemon, so switching in is going to be quite difficult. Moreover, Haunter straight loses the 1v1 in most cases. I'd probably cut this too.

As far as other checks and counters go, maybe consider adding Vaporeon and Dewgong? They both win the straight 1v1 and Dewgong can even switch in in some cases because Blizzard is a clean OHKO.

So, that's all I have for now. I'm sure I'll identify some new stuff later. I'll let you know after you implement some of these changes and then QC shortly after that. Cheers!

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
All excellent points as always. On the note of Toxic, I was a little shaky due to it being a bit specific, but since we had it in the set compendium anyway I've put it in.

As far as other checks and counters go, maybe consider adding Vaporeon and Dewgong? They both win the straight 1v1 and Dewgong can even switch in in some cases because Blizzard is a clean OHKO.
Vaporeon can't OHKO Dodrio with Blizzard, it misses by a hair: 92.2% max, with a very variable damage roll. If Dodrio has taken any amount of damage, it's golden though.

Everything else was implemented.

Shellnuts

Rustiest Player Around
is a Community Contributor
Some suggestions before QC'ing

Dodrio is also a good option for taking advantage of threats in a passive state, such as when the opposing Pokemon is using Recover or Rest. This can allow it to set up Agility and win the game from there should the field be cleared for an assault.
Two things, first of all, the only Pokemon which uses Recover is Kadabra and while it can be good to trade a Kadabra for paralysis on Dodrio in some situations, it is better if the Kadabra is paralyzed since then you can avoid potential paralysis or crit Psychics OHKOing Dodrio. Second, Dodrio doesn't need to use Agility when coming in on a recovering/resting Pokemon, it functions very well as a wall-breaker to just smash through the opposing team since everything barring Rock-types don't really want to switch into Dodrio, and even though they can try to threaten the Dodrio back with an Electric-type, Ice-type, a healthy Dragonite, Kangaskhan, Gyarados, or—since the Dodrio has not used Agility—Persian; common Pokemon such as Tentacruel, Hypno, Vaporeon, and Dugtrio can keep them from doing too much damage in return.

Some checks I think are worth mentioning:
Dragonite: A full health Dragonite can come in on a non-crit Body-Slam or Drill Peck, paralyze the Dodrio with Thunder Wave (while it can't use Agility to ignore the speed drop since Dragonite is slower), and Wrap it into Blizzard range.

Kangaskhan and Gyarados: While these two Pokemon definitely don't enjoy going into Dodrio, at full health they can come in on Dodrio. If Dodrio uses Agility at all (either as they come in or while they are on the field) then Gyarados and Kangaskhan should 2HKO Dodrio while surviving 2 non-crit Body Slams, and if the Dodrio does not Agility and just spams Body Slam, Gyarados and Kangaskhan will be able to do enough damage to Dodrio to bring it into KO range of every Pokemon which outspeeds Dodrio such as Dugtrio, Kadabra, Electabuzz, and Persian. As a revenge-killer, the situation is the exact same as if Dodrio used Agility as they came in, they take 2 non-crit Body Slams and KO Dodrio back.

Volk

Demonstrably alive.
**Kangaskhan and Gyarados**: While they can't come in on Dodrio at all outside of full health, they are still threats. Body Slam fails to 2HKO while they win the interaction overall, KOing Dodrio in prolonged interactions, especially if they come in on Agility, as it's a lost opportunity for damage. So long as Body Slam does not land a critical hit, these two Pokemon win against Dodrio with decent consistency.
Neither of these deserve to be mentioned. Being able to win a flat 1v1 isn't enough to merit a mention in my opinion, especially when Dodrio packs such a high critical hit rate. Dragonite is a little iffy too, but it at least has Thunder Wave. Seriously, if Kangaskhan and Gyarados count as Dodrio checks, then Vaporeon is a Hypno check and Tentacruel is a Dugtrio check. Don't go down that road. Cut these two from checks and counters.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Neither of these deserve to be mentioned. Being able to win a flat 1v1 isn't enough to merit a mention in my opinion, especially when Dodrio packs such a high critical hit rate. Dragonite is a little iffy too, but it at least has Thunder Wave. Seriously, if Kangaskhan and Gyarados count as Dodrio checks, then Vaporeon is a Hypno check and Tentacruel is a Dugtrio check. Don't go down that road. Cut these two from checks and counters.
Cut it for now, though I know this has been a point of contention.

Reactions: Eve

Volk

Demonstrably alive.
Just a few quick changes and I think I'm prepared to QC this:

Dodrio is a decently fast threat in RBY UU, notably speed tieing with Tentacruel and Raichu, while possessing great STAB options in Body Slam and Drill Peck.
Replace "while possessing" with "and possesses."

that's difficult for some Pokemon to switch into consistently
Replace "some" with "several."

leaving it stonewalled by Pokemon like Golem.
"... leaving it stonewalled by Rock-type Pokemon like Golem and Omastar."

Drill Peck complements this excellently, 2HKOing Tangela and Venusaur, though in Tangela’s case it may have to take Stun Spore to do it.
You should mention Haunter in here somehow. Without Drill Peck, Dodrio can't touch Haunter. With Drill Peck, Dodrio can 2HKO.

forcing them to take more damage than they deal.
"...forcing it to..."

Dodrio, as mentioned before, is extremely frail and dislikes paralysis, so it shouldn't be brought into a game early unless it's as a lead. It can be used in this regard to threaten Tentacruel out of the gate; however, against Pokemon like Kadabra, it's often forced out right away.
This is my fault, I should have been more clear. First, Dodrio is pretty uncommon (though still relevant) as a lead, so note that. Second, Dodrio isn't really forced out by anything at the start, at least among the most common leads. Hyper Beam is a clean OHKO on Kadabra, so Kadabra is not likely to stay in. If you are leading Dodrio, your goal is usually to do as much damage as possible and probably just faint. Even though Dodrio is liable to lose against basically every lead in a 1v1 (besides like Haunter and Venusaur, neither of which are overly popular), its ability to put massively important Pokemon like Tentacruel, Hypno, and/or Kadabra into Dugtrio range right away (or just KO them if it happens to get really lucky) is fairly useful. I'm not sure to what extent you want to explore this, however; Dodrio lead isn't super popular and hasn't been tested too rigorously. I think it deserves some kind of mention though, even if I'm not sure of the best way to explain it or place to put it. Message the Discord if any of this doesn't make sense.

Dodrio is also a good option for taking advantage of threats in a passive state, such as when the opposing Pokemon is using Rest. This can allow it to begin tearing the team apart, utilizing its immediate offensive and force damage onto the opposing team.
These are also good potential opportunities for Dodrio to get an Agility off. Dodrio is good at scaring out a lot of Pokemon so it can sometimes get Agilities off basically for free. Dugtrio can also be decent set up fodder for Dodrio, as Hyper Beam can OHKO (more or less guaranteed if Dugtrio has sustained say a Wrap or two) and Dugtrio can't really do anything besides Rock Slide, which is only really scary with a critical hit, or like Sand Attack I guess, but nobody runs that. Agility Dodrio is absolutely terrifying in some endgames. It's basically the hardest hitting physical Pokemon in the game, and it now it's faster than literally everything.

**Golem and Omastar**
Kind of a dumb note on my part, but should this just say Rock-type Pokemon? I know these two are basically the only ones you'll ever see, but technically every Rock-type can wall out Dodrio. Might just be a nitpick and I'm not sure if it matters. Your call.

Volk

Demonstrably alive.
Final notes:

However, this often means sacrificing Dodrio in the process, which isn't favorable in the long-term.
Change "isn't" to "may not." People wouldn't use it if it was always unfavorable.

This can allow it to set up Agility and/or begin tearing the team apart, utilizing its immediate offensive presence and force damage onto the opposing team. It should be noted that after an Agility, Dodrio outspeeds every threat in the tier.
Change "force" to "forcing" and change "every threat" to "every Pokemon."

Implement this and that's a QC 2/2! Cheers!

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
AM GP :)
Add Remove Comment
(AC)/(RC): Add/Remove Comma
(RA)
: Replace curly apostrophe with '

[OVERVIEW]

Dodrio is a decently fast threat in RBY UU, notably speed tieing with Speed tying Tentacruel and Raichu, and possesses great STAB options in Body Slam and Drill Peck. These blend together with traits and its amazing Attack stat to make for powerful and frequent critical hits. This hits; the resulting 19.53% chance makes for it a very volatile threat that's difficult for several many (you could also do "most") Pokemon to switch into consistently. Furthermore, Dodrio can further boost its Speed and make up for Speed drops from paralysis (capitalization) through Agility, which has the added bonus of making it more difficult to pin down with Wrap. Its typing is also notable for its immunity to Earthquake and paralysis from Body Slam. Thanks to these qualities, Dodrio can function as a solid revenge-killer These qualities make Dodrio a solid revenge killer and late-game sweeper on offensive teams.

However, there’s a lot of problems on Dodrio’s end that prevent it from being seen as a top tier threat. Looking at the elephant in the room, we can see that Dodrio’s defenses are extremely poor. This fragility makes Dodrio a very easy Pokemon to OHKO, taking heavy damge from Dodrio's defenses are extremely poor, making it very easy to OHKO and heavily damaged by even neutral hits. Dodrio also lacks coverage outside of its STABs, It also lacks coverage moves, leaving it stonewalled by Rock-type Pokemon like Golem and Omastar. Dodrio is also a common target for paralysis due to its Speed and fragility, making it very easy to counter. neuter. (also possible: "Dodrio is often a target for paralysis that makes it very easy to counter due to its reliance on Speed." or something like that) As a result, getting Dodrio into the fray can be a difficult task without support from Wrap or smart double-switching. However, should a player be willing to build around supporting Dodrio, it can really shine, mowing down teams once they’ve been sufficiently softened up.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Body Slam allows Dodrio to spread paralysis while hitting quite hard, 2HKOing fragile threats like Dugtrio and Kadabra. Drill Peck complements this it excellently, 2HKOing Haunter, Tangela(AC), and Venusaur, though in Tangela(RA)'s case it Dodrio may have to take Stun Spore to do KO it. Dodrio's Hyper Beam is extremely strong coming from Dodrio, KOing even bulkier threats like Tentacruel and Hypno after a Body Slam on switch-in. the switch in. Agility is put in the last slot to allow Dodrio to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame. Should it be forced to take paralysis, Dodrio is also capable of using can also use Agility to ignore the Speed (capitalization) drop from it. Toxic is a notable alternate option for threatening Dragonite, forcing it to take more damage than it deals with Wrap. However, using this it can be difficult, as it leaves Dodrio open to a potential hit for the turn, which can be risky given its fragile nature. As such, using this it when anticipating a switch is recommended.

Dodrio, as mentioned before, is extremely frail and dislikes paralysis, so it shouldn't be brought into a game early unless it's except as a lead. Lead Dodrio can be used to threaten Tentacruel and Kadabra right out of the gate, usually putting them into range for Dugtrio to KO them after it Dodrio goes down. This can be huge, as Pokemon like Tentacruel and Hypno otherwise put immense pressure on teams throughout a game. However, this often means sacrificing Dodrio in the process, which may not be favorable in the long-term. Generally, outside (RC) of the lead slot, Dodrio should play a hit-and-run playstyle before cleaning up in the late-game should be the central goal. Dodrio's two main points of entry are coming in on Earthquake, or when revenge killing. Dodrio's revenge killing prowess can notably be applied after a teammate's Explosion to finish off a dented threat, as Dodrio’s Hyper Beam will likely close it out. opposing Earthquakes and revenge killing. Its Hyper Beam is notably likely to finish off threats dented by a teammate's Explosion. Dodrio's immunity to Earthquake is especially helpful for double-switching out to Electric-types, reducing risk and maintaining an advantageous game state. momentum. (I imagine this is adequate?) This immunity can also be utilized (American spelling) alongside Haunter, with its immunity to Normal-type attacks forming a small immunity core. However, repeatedly doing this switching between them can lead to an early KO with a good prediction from the opponent. Dodrio is also a good option good for taking advantage of threats in a passive state, such as when the opposing Pokemon is using Rest. This can allow it to set up Agility and/or begin tearing the team apart, utilizing its immediate offensive presence and forcing damage onto the opposing team. It should be noted that after an Agility, Dodrio outspeeds every Pokemon in the tier. Overall, Dodrio's offensive prowess is no joke, but neither is its fragility: understanding this is pivotal to its success in the late-game. foes using Rest, able to set up an Agility and outspeed every Pokemon in the tier or tear the opposing team apart with its immediate offensive presence. (make sure this checks out content-wise)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Dodrio's movepool doesn't leave much in the way of options (RC) but they do exist. Substitute can potentially allow Dodrio to take a bigger hit than it should, but is limited since it doesn't block status in RBY (RC) using it at the wrong time can be dangerous. (I imagine this is adequate because, with analysis info, using it at the wrong time shouldn't be a concern? but double check content-wise) It also doesn't play to the hit-and-run playstyle Dodrio should be employing, as it’s easily forced out by Pokemon that resist its STABs, and taking unnecessary damage makes it easier to revenge-kill, especially when spending HP on Substitute. doesn't stop it from being forced out by Rock-types that resist its STAB moves, and makes it easier to revenge kill thanks the move's HP cost. (nothing resists normal/flying besides Rock-types, right?)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Rock-types**: Dodrio gets completely walled by Golem and Omastar, as it lacks any attack that can deal even neutral damage. In return, they 2HKO Dodrio with Rock Slide and Blizzard, respectively.

**Articuno**: Articuno's bulk tends to allow it to take enough hits from Dodrio to OHKO before it OHKOes with Blizzard. In addition, after an if Articuno uses Agility, Dodrio can't touch it at all unless Blizzard misses.

**Dewgong and Vaporeon**: Both of these Pokemon can win a head-to-head with Dodrio, albeit while taking beat Dodrio one-on-one, but take heavy damage in the process. Dewgong can do this in a similar fashion, only it can outright OHKO Dodrio with Blizzard. Blizzard, and Vaporeon can survive a Body Slam and subsequent Hyper Beam from Dodrio, and can KO it to KO Dodrio with Blizzard if it's taken any amount of damage prior, prior damage, dealing a maximum of 92.2%.

**Electabuzz and Raichu**: Both of these threats can either paralyze Dodrio or 2HKO it with Thunderbolt; should Dodrio have taken any amount of chip damage, it will be KO’d KOed outright. However, switching in is anything but safe neither can switch in safely due to Body Slam(AA)'s power and paralysis chance. Plus, even if they switch in on Drill Peck, Hyper Beam has a good chance to KO afterwards. Raichu tends to have even more trouble switching in compared to Electabuzz, due to it being equal to Dodrio in Speed, than Electabuzz because it only Speed ties Dodrio, making the matchup very inconsistent.

**Dragonite**: Dragonite takes Body Slam and Drill Peck very well at full health(AC), unless Dodrio lands a critical hit, and can then try to paralyze it with Thunder Wave. Should it Dragonite have used Agility, it can also Wrap Dodrio into Blizzard range, KOing it. use Wrap until Blizzard can KO Dodrio.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hello gen1 my old friend

Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC)
/(RC): Add/Remove Comma
[OVERVIEW]

Dodrio is a decently fast threat in RBY UU, notably Speed tying Tentacruel and Raichu, and possesses great STAB options in Body Slam and Drill Peck. These traits and its amazing Attack stat make for powerful and frequent critical hits; the resulting 19.53% chance makes it a very volatile threat that's difficult for most Pokemon to switch into consistently. Furthermore (RC) Dodrio can further boost its Speed and make up for Speed drops from paralysis through Agility, which has the added bonus of making it more difficult to pin down with Wrap. Its typing is also notable for its immunity to Earthquake and paralysis from Body Slam. These qualities make Dodrio a solid revenge killer and late-game sweeper on offensive teams.

However, Dodrio's defenses are extremely poor, making it very easy to OHKO and heavily damaged by even neutral hits. It also lacks coverage moves, leaving it stonewalled by Rock-type Pokemon like Golem and Omastar. Dodrio is also a common target for paralysis due to its Speed and fragility, making it very easy to neuter. As a result, getting Dodrio into the fray can be a difficult task without support from Wrap or smart double-switching.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Body Slam allows Dodrio to spread paralysis while hitting quite hard, 2HKOing fragile threats like Dugtrio and Kadabra. Drill Peck complements it excellently, 2HKOing Haunter, Tangela, and Venusaur, though in Tangela's case Dodrio may have to take Stun Spore to KO it. Dodrio's Hyper Beam is extremely strong, KOing even bulkier threats like Tentacruel and Hypno after a Body Slam on the switch in. Agility is put in the last slot to allow Dodrio to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame. Should it be forced to take paralysis, Dodrio can also use Agility to ignore the Speed drop from it. Toxic is a notable alternate option for threatening Dragonite, forcing it to take more damage than it deals with Wrap. However, using it can be difficult, as it leaves Dodrio open to a potential hit, which can be risky given its fragile nature. As such, using it when anticipating a switch is recommended.

Dodrio, as mentioned before, is extremely frail and dislikes paralysis, so it shouldn't be brought into a game early except as a lead. Lead Dodrio can be used to threaten Tentacruel and Kadabra right out of the gate, usually putting them into range for Dugtrio to KO them after Dodrio goes down. This can be huge, as Pokemon like Tentacruel and Hypno otherwise put immense pressure on teams throughout a game. However, this often means sacrificing Dodrio, which may not be favorable in the long-term. Generally, outside of the lead slot, Dodrio should play a hit-and-run playstyle before cleaning up in the late-game. Dodrio's two main points of entry are opposing Earthquakes and revenge killing. Its Hyper Beam is notably likely to finish off threats dented by a teammate's Explosion. Dodrio's immunity to Earthquake is especially helpful for double-switching out to Electric-types, reducing risk(AC), and maintaining momentum. This immunity can also be utilized alongside Haunter, with its immunity to Normal-type attacks forming a small immunity core. However, repeatedly switching between them can lead to an early KO with a good prediction from the opponent. Dodrio is also good for taking advantage of threats in a passive state, such as foes using Rest, able to where it can set up an Agility, outspeed every Pokemon in the tier(AC), and tear the opposing team apart with its immediate offensive presence. Furthermore, Dodrio can set up against Dugtrio or weakened physical attackers like Kangaskhan and Persian, as it forces them out with its powerful offensive capabilities. On top of that, forcing these attackers out isn't a requirement, even required, as Dodrio will gladly take a hit if it means KOing the opposing Pokemon and potentially ending the game outright.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Dodrio's movepool doesn't leave much in the way of options. Substitute can allow Dodrio to take a bigger hit than it should, but is limited in utility, as it doesn't block status in RBY. It also doesn't play to the hit-and-run playstyle Dodrio should be employing, fails to stop it from being forced out by Rock-types that resist its STAB moves, and makes it easier to revenge kill due to the move's HP cost.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Articuno**: Articuno's bulk tends to allow it to take enough hits from Dodrio before it OHKOes with Blizzard. In addition, if Articuno uses Agility, Dodrio can't touch it at all unless Blizzard misses.

**Dewgong and Vaporeon**: Both of these Pokemon beat Dodrio one-on-one (RC) but take heavy damage in the process. Dewgong can outright OHKO Dodrio with Blizzard, and Vaporeon can survive a Body Slam and subsequent Hyper Beam to KO Dodrio with Blizzard if it's taken any prior damage, dealing a maximum of 92.2%.

**Electabuzz and Raichu**: Both of these threats can either paralyze Dodrio or 2HKO it with Thunderbolt; should Dodrio have taken any chip damage, it will be KOed outright. However, neither can switch in safely due to Body Slam's power and paralysis chance. Plus, even if they switch in on Drill Peck, Hyper Beam has a good chance to KO afterwards. Raichu tends to have even more trouble switching in than Electabuzz because it only Speed ties Dodrio, making the matchup very inconsistent.

**Dragonite**: Dragonite takes Body Slam and Drill Peck very well at full health, unless Dodrio lands a critical hit, and can then paralyze it with Thunder Wave. Should Dragonite have used Agility, it can also use Wrap until Blizzard can KO Dodrio.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429], [, ]]

GP 1/2

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
add remove (comments)
[OVERVIEW]

Dodrio is a decently fast threat in RBY UU, notably Speed tying with Tentacruel and Raichu, and possesses great STAB options in Body Slam and Drill Peck. These traits and its amazing Attack stat make for powerful and frequent critical hits; the resulting 19.53% chance makes it a very volatile threat that's difficult for most Pokemon to switch into consistently. Dodrio can further boost its Speed and make up for Speed drops from paralysis through Agility, which has the added bonus of making it more difficult to pin down with Wrap. Its typing is also notable for its immunity to Earthquake and paralysis from Body Slam. These qualities make Dodrio a solid revenge killer and late-game sweeper on offensive teams.

However, Dodrio's defenses are extremely poor, making it very easy to OHKO and heavily damaged by even neutral hits. Worse still, it lacks coverage moves, leaving it stonewalled by Rock-type Pokemon Rock-types (for consistency since you use "-types" in this analysis the most) like Golem and Omastar. Dodrio is a common target for paralysis due to its Speed and fragility too, making it very easy to neuter. As a result, getting Dodrio into the fray can be a difficult task without support from Wrap or smart double-switching.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Body Slam allows Dodrio to spread paralysis while hitting quite hard, 2HKOing fragile threats like Dugtrio and Kadabra. Drill Peck complements this excellently, 2HKOing Haunter, Tangela, and Venusaur, though in Tangela's case Dodrio may have to take Stun Spore to KO it. Dodrio's Hyper Beam is extremely strong, KOing even bulkier threats like Tentacruel and Hypno after a Body Slam on the switch in. Finally, Agility is put in the last slot to allow Dodrio to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame. Should it be forced to take paralysis, Dodrio can also use Agility to ignore the Speed drop from it. Toxic is a notable alternate option for threatening Dragonite, forcing it to take more damage than it deals with Wrap. However, using it can be difficult, as it leaves Dodrio open to a potential hit, which can be risky given its fragile nature. As such, using it when anticipating a switch is recommended.

Dodrio, as mentioned before, is extremely frail and dislikes paralysis, so it shouldn't be brought into a game early except as a lead. Lead Dodrio can be used to threaten Tentacruel and Kadabra right out of the gate, usually putting them into range for Dugtrio to KO them after Dodrio goes down. This can be huge, as Pokemon like Tentacruel and Hypno otherwise put immense pressure on teams throughout a game. However, this often means sacrificing Dodrio, which may not be favorable in the long-term. Generally, outside of the lead slot, Dodrio should play a hit-and-run playstyle before cleaning up in the late-game. Dodrio's two main points of entry are opposing Earthquakes and revenge killing. Its Hyper Beam is notably likely to finish off threats dented by a teammate's Explosion. Dodrio's immunity to Earthquake is especially helpful for double-switching out to Electric-types, reducing risk, and maintaining momentum. This immunity can also be utilized alongside Haunter, with its immunity to Normal-type attacks forming a small immunity core. However, repeatedly switching between them can lead to an early KO with a good prediction from the opponent. Dodrio is also good for taking advantage of threats in a passive state, such as foes using Rest, where it can set up an with Agility, outspeed every Pokemon in the tier, and tear the opposing team apart with its immediate offensive presence. Furthermore, Dodrio can set up against Dugtrio or weakened physical attackers like Kangaskhan and Persian, as it forces them out with its powerful offensive capabilities. On top of that, forcing these attackers out isn't even required, as Dodrio will gladly take a hit if it means KOing the opposing Pokemon and potentially ending the game outright.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Dodrio's movepool doesn't leave much in the way of options. Substitute can allow Dodrio to take a bigger hit than it should, but it is limited in utility, as it doesn't block status in RBY. It also doesn't play to the hit-and-run playstyle Dodrio should be employing, fails to stop it from being forced out by Rock-types that resist its STAB moves, and makes it easier to revenge kill due to the move's HP cost.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Dewgong and Vaporeon**: Both of these Pokemon beat Dodrio one-on-one but take heavy damage in the process. Dewgong can outright OHKO Dodrio with Blizzard, and Vaporeon can survive a Body Slam and subsequent Hyper Beam to KO Dodrio with Blizzard if it's it has taken any prior damage, dealing a maximum of 92.2%.

**Dragonite**: Dragonite takes Body Slam and Drill Peck very well at full health, unless Dodrio lands a critical hit, and can then paralyze it with Thunder Wave. Should If Dragonite have had already used Agility, it can also use Wrap until Blizzard can KO Dodrio.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429], [, ]]
2/2 :blobthumbsup:
Estronic-GP-small.gif

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
did u know poliwhirl was a mascot once
Implemented the check, with one diff after discussing on Discord a touch;
**Dragonite**: Dragonite takes Body Slam and Drill Peck very well at full health, unless Dodrio lands a critical hit, and can then paralyze it with Thunder Wave. Should If Dragonite have had already used Agility, it can also use Wrap until Blizzard can KO Dodrio.
The "had" was made "has" to preserve the present tense.

This should now be ready for upload!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)