Doubles OM Mega Thread

"Now, in Doubles"
Have you ever been playing your favorite metagame and thought "Man, why is there not a Doubles version of this?" or are you a Doubles player who was browsing the forums and thought "I wish that ___ had a Doubles version!" Well, in this thread we may discuss the Doubles metagame of all of your favorite metagames! This thread is purely for Doubles discussion of Other Metagames, so do not discuss the singles version please! To keep this thread from becoming cluttered, it will also have some rules.

Rules:
  • Only discuss Doubles metagames, do not discuss Singles metagames, go to the respective threads for that.
  • Be sure to include what metagame you're talking about, as there are many being discussed at once! This means to tag people's post you're replying too to ensure we all know how this is running.
  • Be sure to follow the metagame specific rules, should Pure Power be banned there, it will be banned in Doubles as well.
  • Standard Other Metagame Rules and Doubles rules apply!
  • Moderator note: Suicude Cup is currently only available in a Doubles format. Please do not discuss it here, discuss it in its own thread.
approved by The Eevee General and Arcticblast

EV

Banned deucer.
Now that weather isn't permanent, Doubles STABmons shouldn't be as crazy as last gen with Specs Water Spout Keldeo. I still see it being pretty powerful, though, so thank god for Mega Venusaur and Water Absorb Jellicent.

Also, I don't know if it's possible, but even more Fake Outs!

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Smogon Triples Doubles imo

But honestly, any meta would really be fun in doubles. Aka Averagemons, AAA, 350 Cup, BH (which is at piccolo's), AAA, STABmons, and AAA.

We need it. Stall will reign supreme.
As a Smogon Doubles player I wish you the best of luck using stall with four Pokemon on the field

Hint: it doesn't happen in Smogon Doubles, it isn't possible

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Metagamiate in doubles... oh god... All dem Hyper Voices...

Seriously tho, the vast majority of the metas will be great in doubles (well, maybe not triples, but you can't win 'em all)

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Oh god I've just imagined Hackmons in doubles. SO MANY THINGS WITH TR AND TAILWIND

and finally a more users of Quick/Wide Guard that I can use (if it is ever made a thing).

Almost Any Ability: Surf-spam with Storm Drain team, Lava Plume with Flash Fire team (I guess), even more Discharge-abuse teams, completely random Swift Swimmers/Sand Rushers/Chlorophyl, arbitrary choice of weather setter (no more suffering through Politoed and Ninetails!), much more difficulty overall telling whether any given team is a rain abuse team or not (Protean means ANY Pokemon can STAB-abuse weather so long as it as Water/Thunder/Hurricane/Weather Ball [Actually, what happens when Protean meets Weather Ball-in-weather anyway?] or Fire/Solarbeam/Weather Ball/Growth/Synthesis etc), Earthquake spam abusing Levitate on everything, Aerilated Boomburst being combined with Telepathy on anything you like, Petal Blizzard alongside any Pokemon you care to name (Because you gave it Sap Sipper).... other stuff I might say later...

Metagamiate: The only thing I have to add that hasn't been said is the very silly, dumb thing of having Water Absorb Lanturn Soak Noivern. I doubt it would be in any way practical though.

STABmons: Suddenly every random Rock type has Wide Guard and every random Fighting type has Quick Guard and Mat Block. Every Fairy Type has Crafty Shield (Screw all you Pranksters), Rage Powder on every random Bug type, Follow Me on every random Normal type (And the Eeveelutions, and, not that anybody cares, on Talonflame, among others), Tailwind on every Flying type (Not many additions there) and Trick Room on every Psychic type (Most of them don't care), Powder on every random Bug type (Yeah it's in Singles too, but it would be a lot more relevant blocking a Heat Wave while your buddy is free to work), Land's Wrath on every Ground type (Who needs immunity to Earthquake?), and probably bunches of other things I'm not thinking of specifically relevant to Doubles.

Hackmons Dark Void = ghiysdghbidghj

Electrify Volt Absorb Deoxys-S (or a Prankster Ground-type) + random Lightning Rod

Last edited:
Doubles STABmons: Entrainment Huge Power Azumarill/Diggersby or, if you want to make your attacker Slaking/Regigigas, Skill Swap Medicham with Mega Stone*. And don't forget Dark Void Sableye (possibly with Wide Lens). Sleep clause *facepalm*

Doubles AAA: One word. Weather. Also, abuse of Volt Absorb with Discharge, or other multi-target moves.

*Not a good idea, slow and frail

Last edited:
I think there should be a balanced hackmons doubles with a battle spot-esque format where you carry 6 and pick 4 pokemon and limit one of each ability.
Mold breaker deoxys speed dark void would definitely get out hand , make everyone carry magic coat and not make the game fun so I would suggest an immediate ban or suspect test.
There are so many other fun abilites to use in doubles ( ability -filter holding weakness policy with friend guard support, aerielate explosion with telepathy support), Powder move would finally be viable, follow me wide/quick guard on any pokemon, and many other ideas those are just examples. It would be a fun and unpredictable meta and I would play it more than bh singles because it just feels old now and flooded with stall.

Last edited:

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We've been playing Doubles Almost Any Ability on another server with a group of DOU regulars and have been having alot of fun. In addition to the normal AAA banlist, we have also banned Justified, Anger Point, Normalize, Serene Grace and Truant. When a pokemon megas, it will have its usual mega ability, however it can carry any ability in its base form.

Reasons for these being Justified + Beat Up is now almost impossible to see coming, and pretty game breaking from what we found. Anger Point is the same as you can now hit something that resists Ice with your own Frost Breath for a free +12 Atk boost while still attacking that turn. Normalize was an issue as trapping is still possible with Mega Gengar, however it can carry Normalize and Skill Swap pre mega, as can a partner. We found this to be too much of an issue. Truant Falls into this as Truant Trapping was shown to be very unfair. Serene Grace was removed after one of the already tier 1 mons, Lando-T, started being able to spam 60% flinch rate spread moves.

We're till testing some things (possible ban of cresselia for these reasons http://gyazo.com/def9b4f9e4f3c08ebcce8e5323260dfc), Gale Wings and dropping the ability limit to one of each ability per team. Sleep Clause may also be looked at.

Also got Doubles Balanced Hackmons going if anyone is interested. Both metas are playable via challenge here: http://aqua.psim.us/doubles

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)