SM OU Doubles OU Team

Introduction

What's up yall! So I've been working on this team for a month or 2 now and I really like where it's come to. This team started off as a Bulky/Hyper Offensive team based off of Aaron "Cybertron" Zheng's San Jose Regional team and then eventually started seeing a bit more changes since PokeBank released.

If you would like to see my first build (the Bulky/Hyper Offensive team), here's the link to it:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/bulky-hyper-offensive-team.3592200/

The Team

Greninja @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Last I saw/knew, Greninja was in the Uber tier... When I checked again, a while back, he was in the OU tier. After seeing this, I immediately started testing with Greninja. With Greninja's high speed, high Atk/SpAtk, and it's decent move pool, Greninja is almost always in the battle first. For my Greninja build, I decided to focus more on it's SpAtk stat. I've seen a lot of people using the Atk stat but i personally like the SpAtk moves, that Greninja can use, a lot more. Scald gets burn, Dark Pulse can flinch, Ice Beam is a strong Ice move to cover dragon types like Garchomp, and i decided to go with HP Grass because of Gastrodon. Because my team is very Water oriented, Gastrodon can really stop my team from doing a lot of damage. For the ability, as much as I'd love to use Ash-Greninja, having the STAB with Protean is just so much better. As for the Assault Vest, it's just to give Greninja a bit more longevity.​

Vaporeon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Muddy Water
So there's been a few people who disagreed with me using Vaporeon and that i should use Tapu Fini instead~ i don't blame them for suggesting me to use Fini but Fini just takes too long to set up for me. Sure it gets more bulk and power when using Calm Mind but it just doesn't work for me. Vaporeon already has the power and has decent defenses so that's why i chose it. From my original build, Vaporeon has gone under a couple of changes. I used to use Hydro Pump (Z-Move) and Protect over Shadow Ball and Muddy Water but because I decided to switch the item from Waterium Z to Choice Specs, I saw no need for Protect. Hydro Pump was switched to Muddy Water because i like that it hits both opposing pokemon and has that accuracy drop chance. Ice Beam and Shadow Ball are just for coverage and Scald is just in case i need that 100% hit~ but most of the time, I've been finding myself using Muddy Water.

Pelipper @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drizzle
Modest Nature
- Tailwind
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Surf
This Pelipper plays as Vaporeons' sidekick but can also put on a lot of pressure on the opponent itself. Hurricane under rain and even Tailwind can get the opponent worried. Scald is used mainly but Surf is the better move only while Vaporeon is out with Pelipper. When Vaporeons life is getting low, I take advantage of its Water Absorb ability and use Surf to deal damage to my opponent while healing Vaporeon.

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
There's really not much to explain about Metagross. Metagross is only used to help deal with Fairy types that my other pokemon can't exactly deal with. Most of the time, Metagross is only used for its Choice Band powered Bullet Punch to deal a lot of damage or KO fairy types like the Tapus.

Togedemaru @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Nuzzle
- Poison Jab
- Spiky Shield
- Reflect
Because my team is weak to Electric types, i needed a pokemon that could help deal with them. I decided to go with Lightning Rod Togedemaru to handle most of the Electric Types i go against. This Togedemaru is built for defensive purposes but can deal some decent damage to the Tapus with Poison Jab. If my opponent uses an Electric type, I'd usually switch Togedemaru in to redirect any possible single targeting electric attacks. I used to have Togedemaru holding a Sitrus Berry but because it didn't heal as much as i needed it to, i decided to switch it with an Iapapa Berry.

Aerodactyl @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Fly
- Tailwind
- Taunt
Aerodactyl has seen a couple changes while i was testing it and this seems to be the best build for me. I used to run Aerodactyl as a Bulky support pokemon then it changed to very offensive, and now it's both offensive and supportive. It supports with Tailwind and stops set-ups with Taunt. It goes offensive with Rock Slide and the Fly (Z-Move). The items I've previously tried were a Sitrus Berry and a Lum Berry. The Sitrus Berry was to heal Aerodactyl but it just wasn't that affective, the Lum Berry actually proved to be somewhat useful, and the Flyinium-Z has proved to be very useful. A Fly Z-Move from Aerodactyl can OHKO threats like Whimsicott and Tapu Bulu.

Conclusion

When it comes to battling and choosing who to start with, i find myself starting with Greninja and Aerodactyl about 95% of the time. Greninja just handles almost everything fairly well and Aerodactyl can stop plays with Taunt or get flinches with Rock Slide. Or if there's something i just really need to kill off, I'll double target into the threatening Pokémon with Greninja and a Z-Move from Aerodactyl. An example of a threatening Pokémon or team would be a Trick Room team with TR setters like P2 and Oranguru. A Fly Z-Move and Dark Pulse can OHKO Oranguru and Taunt is how i deal with P2. I honestly believe that most of the losses i get with this team is because of bad reads but other than that, the team has proven to be fairly solid.

Greninja @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protean
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Vaporeon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Muddy Water

Pelipper @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drizzle
Modest Nature
- Tailwind
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Surf

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

Togedemaru @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Nuzzle
- Poison Jab
- Spiky Shield
- Reflect

Aerodactyl @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Fly
- Tailwind
- Taunt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)