Gen 4 DPP OU: Rate my team

https://pokepast.es/bbd99b429f28f59d

I saw some sample teams and i was astonished as how many hits could take those teams, i wanted to try something more offensive
imagen_2023-02-24_160057584.png
imagen_2023-02-24_160119737.png
imagen_2023-02-24_160136619.png

-Azelf is there to set rocks up and quickly die, the only leads that give me trouble are another azelfs or aerodactyl, thunder wave is a bit of a filler move,it helps with pokemon that resist explosion or can setup, now that i am looking at it's Ev spread i realise that i could change t-wave with an special attack and invest on spatk but also the extra hp helps with some slower leads like swampert while the sash is good in case i find myself on with scarf Ttar or something of that kind

-Scizor acts a bit like a safety net for my team, it scares out ttar and helps me with things like scarf rotom or latias in general, also for some reason people just stay in when with their fragile pokemon after rocks chipping and just get half of their team eaten by bullet punch for no reason, not a lot to say with him, switch in the draco meteor or outrage and hit them hard with u turn or bullet punch, the other two moves get barely used since whenever i know there is a magnezone i click u turn trying to bait it, i guess pursuit is good for gengar and superpower can come in clutch against lucario and other steels

-Magnezone is mainly there to trap steels and blow up when there are no steels left, flash canon works nice on a cheeky ttar trying to shrug off a tbolt or hp fire, another good use of flash canon is when clefable tries to stall you, the spdef drops really can come in clutch, another thing that this is good for is scarf rotom, it may not knock it out on two tbolts but it can wear it down to the point where a good placed bullet punch takes good care of it

-Dragonite was the principal idea behind this team, it fills the role of being a big, meaty nuke button, i started laddering with this team and the higher i get the harder it becomes to use outrage, not like it has become useless or anything, ESpeed for something like a Ddance gyarados or Swords dance lucario, Earthquake has become the move that i click the most, it just deals a ton of damage to very big threats like metagross or tyranitar with the downside of being a free switch in for a lot of the pokemon that are paired with them, ice punch is good against hippowdown and not much more, i mean i know that it can be used more and in better ways, i just didn't

-Gengar just tears everything with it's ghost stab, sludge bomb is there for breelom and some ghost resists
energy ball annoys ttar and for some reason always gets swampert, i guess they like to stay in or something, thunderbolt is there to punish gyarados for trying to get a dragon dance and some steels that expect focus blast just to end up fried by a specs tbolt

-Finally Gyarados, this slot in my team is one that i have been toying with, at first i just slapped a u turn body slam jirachi set and it worked kind of fine but i think having a set up sweeper just ends up being better most of the time, a single dragon dance forces the enemy to reveal me their scarf or do something else, also it has a good amount of bulk for all the damage that it can dish out, definitely gets its job done

Thanks for your time :D

Last edited by a moderator:

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Hi Träumend 7 welcome to Smogon! I am locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least three lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and look at Team Showcase to see the detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions, and I will be happy to unlock this. Also, feel free to PM me if you need help or have any question. Have a nice day!

To PM someone on Smogon, go over their name on any of their post. It will display a little pop-up with a summary of their profile. Then, hit the "Start conversation" button and you will be able to write a PM just like you write a regular thread.

Why did you choose this Pokemon?
What do the EV spreads do and why do you have it?
What are all 4 moves for?

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Updated and unlocked thank you for sending me your updated description, I'll give a rate sometime tomorrow!

Edit this post because I don't want to flood the thread:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Quick Rate:

Too much choice users, can be overwhelming to handle, I personally aim to have a maximum of 3 choice users (4 can be overkill especially if none of the users have trick to alleviate the prediction / switching.

Azelfs set looks good, I would say to go with Fire Blast > Thunder Wave for common Steel leads such as Bronzong and Metagross.

Run this set, EVs are given to outspeed most leads with max positive base 100 such as Flygon, Jirachi and Zapdos. It also allows you to take a Scarf Crunch from Tyranitar.

:azelf:
Azelf @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 184 HP / 188 Def / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Taunt
- Fire Blast

Dragonite I would go with a Dragon Dance set instead of CB, it gives you more freedom and this set specifically can threaten a lot of teams and give you free reign when it comes to getting statused and not constantly switching into Stealth Rock damage.

:dragonite:
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

With Gyarados I would either go with Wacan Berry or Lum, double Lum in general works well but also to utilize Wacan which will allow you to survive weaker electric type moves like Thunderbolt from Latias at full health. Try to play around with your EVs and take out some speed (8 HP EVs and 16 Special Defense EVs) allows Gyarados survive Choice Scarf Rotom Thunderbolt without Stealth Rock in the way.

Lastly with Gengar, I'm not a fan of the Choice Specs set I would consider going with a Life Orb Substitute set. Reason is that Shadow Ball / Focus Blast combo hits everything neutrally and to take advantage of the opposition it's best to Substitute rather than under / overpredict which allows you ease to use the set which Choice Specs does not. Pain Split is to regain your health from common Sandstorm spam / Life Orb constant damage.

:gengar:
Gengar @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Thank you for reaching out, and I hope some of my suggestions are helpful.

Last edited:
Hi! I thought AndViet gave you some good ideas to go off of, but I wanted to explore something you mentioned: just balls to the wall offense. I think there’s definitely a way to do this in dpp, so let’s start w that.

The standard HO in this style is azelf lead w a set very similar to one AndViet gave, Dragon dance Dragonite, Dragon dance Gyarados, Dragon Dance Tyranitar, Agility Metagross, and a filler, typically something fast like gar you have here. Here’s an example high level game where sakito uses exactly that and keeps tempo https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-670049

I think we can explore other directions though. The mag idea you have is very interesting one, as it allows you to change your sets (should you use tar, it can use Dragon dance w ice punch to handle gliscor and Breloom in one slot, gar can use subsplit like AndViet said), but I think if we want to make something cool, we should replace it. Teams like these really need a good rotom Thunderbolt switch in, as they can just fall apart to it late game if it revenges Gengar or Gyara. So let’s replace it w something like this:

Gliscor @ Yache Berry
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Thunder Fang
- Ice Fang

This still hits Skarm hard w +2 thunderfang but also gives you an electric switch in, a luke check, and a good late game sweeper.

Now without zone (and honestly, even w zone), Jirachi looks like it could be a pain. I think gar is a bit of a weak spot and could be replace to keep up pace. A good replacement that still keeps the spirit of anti Skarm is trick + iron ball meta

Metagross @ Iron Ball
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Trick

I think w these changes, you’re in good position. One final change would be to try out dd tar over Scizor, but I think sciz can work on this version of the team.

In summary, here’s another version you could try (Ironcially, here’s another high level replay using a very similar team from kristyl https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-673213)

Azelf @ Lum Berry
EVs: 176 HP / 196 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Taunt

Gliscor @ Yache Berry
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Thunder Fang
- Ice Fang

Metagross @ Iron Ball
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Trick

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Gyarados @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 8 HP / 232 Atk / 16 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

Just one more comment on team pace. Even though the mons are bulky doesn’t mean the teamdoesn’t play extremely fast. Explosion and setting up forces you opponent to react to you, and if you can handle that, you’ll win a lot of games w this style

hope this was helpful!

I saw some sample teams and i was astonished as how many hits could take those teams, i wanted to try something more offensive
View attachment 494599View attachment 494600View attachment 494601

-Azelf is there to set rocks up and quickly die, the only leads that give me trouble are another azelfs or aerodactyl, thunder wave is a bit of a filler move,it helps with pokemon that resist explosion or can setup, now that i am looking at it's Ev spread i realise that i could change t-wave with an special attack and invest on spatk but also the extra hp helps with some slower leads like swampert while the sash is good in case i find myself on with scarf Ttar or something of that kind

-Scizor acts a bit like a safety net for my team, it scares out ttar and helps me with things like scarf rotom or latias in general, also for some reason people just stay in when with their fragile pokemon after rocks chipping and just get half of their team eaten by bullet punch for no reason, not a lot to say with him, switch in the draco meteor or outrage and hit them hard with u turn or bullet punch, the other two moves get barely used since whenever i know there is a magnezone i click u turn trying to bait it, i guess pursuit is good for gengar and superpower can come in clutch against lucario and other steels

-Magnezone is mainly there to trap steels and blow up when there are no steels left, flash canon works nice on a cheeky ttar trying to shrug off a tbolt or hp fire, another good use of flash canon is when clefable tries to stall you, the spdef drops really can come in clutch, another thing that this is good for is scarf rotom, it may not knock it out on two tbolts but it can wear it down to the point where a good placed bullet punch takes good care of it

-Dragonite was the principal idea behind this team, it fills the role of being a big, meaty nuke button, i started laddering with this team and the higher i get the harder it becomes to use outrage, not like it has become useless or anything, ESpeed for something like a Ddance gyarados or Swords dance lucario, Earthquake has become the move that i click the most, it just deals a ton of damage to very big threats like metagross or tyranitar with the downside of being a free switch in for a lot of the pokemon that are paired with them, ice punch is good against hippowdown and not much more, i mean i know that it can be used more and in better ways, i just didn't

-Gengar just tears everything with it's ghost stab, sludge bomb is there for breelom and some ghost resists
energy ball annoys ttar and for some reason always gets swampert, i guess they like to stay in or something, thunderbolt is there to punish gyarados for trying to get a dragon dance and some steels that expect focus blast just to end up fried by a specs tbolt

-Finally Gyarados, this slot in my team is one that i have been toying with, at first i just slapped a u turn body slam jirachi set and it worked kind of fine but i think having a set up sweeper just ends up being better most of the time, a single dragon dance forces the enemy to reveal me their scarf or do something else, also it has a good amount of bulk for all the damage that it can dish out, definitely gets its job done

One glaring problem for me - try giving that Dragonite dragon dance and lum berry for outrage. If you aren't going to give it dance then at least give it assault vest to synergize with its natural bulk. Otherwise your team looks great, mostly.

View attachment 494599View attachment 494600View attachment 494601

i think u should go LO gengar. i love the idea of bandnite on stuff like this to bluff and revenge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)