Gen 1 Dragonair (UU Mini) [QC 2/2] [GP 1/1]

pac

pay 5000, gg?
is a Contributor Alumnus
dragonair.png

DRAGONAIR WOO YEAH

[OVERVIEW]

Although Dragonair isn't fully evolved, it is still able to scrounge itself a niche in RBY UU because of its access to the deadly combination of Agility and Wrap. Thanks to RBY Wrap mechanics, Dragonair can immobilize Pokemon and deal large amounts of chip damage. Dragonair's access to Agility allows it to outspeed every unboosted Pokemon and use Wrap freely until it misses or runs out of PP. This allows it to act as a deadly setup sweeper in certain scenarios, or to weaken the opposing team to the point where its teammates, such as Dugtrio and Persian, can finish the job. Additionally, Dragonair is really good at gaining information about the opposing team because it is often best dealt with by switching between Pokemon to PP stall Wrap. This simplifies the endgame because you are less likely to be surprised by an unexpected threat.

However, Dragonair faces a few key problems. It notably competes with its fully evolved counterpart Dragonite, which has better stats and a Ground-type immunity. On the flip side, Dragonite's Flying typing causes it to take extra damage from Ice-type attacks when compared to Dragonair. While both Dragonite and Dragonair are in OHKO range from Articuno's Blizzard, Dragonair is able to survive a few notable Blizzards from the likes of Tentacruel, Vaporeon, and Omastar. This means that Dragonair can set up on more Pokemon than Dragonite, while also taking less punishment than Dragonite would from an unfortunate Wrap miss. However, while it does take less damage than Dragonite, Dragonair still takes heavy damage from Ice-type attacks, which is unfortunate in a tier dominated by the likes of Tentacruel and Articuno. In addition to these flaws, Dragonair also struggles in certain matchups against Pokemon that either resist or are immune to Wrap, such as Omastar, Aerodactyl, and Haunter. Haunter is especially a problem for Dragonair, as it takes mediocre damage from Blizzard and Thunderbolt while being immune to both Hyper Beam and Wrap. Also, Dragonair's stats are a fair bit lower than the tier staples, causing it to struggle offensively and defensively without AgiliWrap. Overall, while Dragonair has the potential to win games and is certainly a viable Pokemon, it is a niche threat due to its lack of defensive utility and competition with Dragonite. Ergo, Dragonair is typically used alongside Dragonite.

[SET]
name: AgiliWrap
move 1: Agility
move 2: Wrap
move 3: Blizzard
move 4: Hyper Beam

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This set allows Dragonair to play to its biggest strength in Agility + Wrap. Due to its ability to stop the opponent from using a move for the turn, Wrap acts as a pivot move, allowing Dragonair to apply offensive pressure and allow its teammates to switch in freely. Agility allows Dragonair to outspeed and threaten Pokemon such as Kadabra and Dugtrio and act as a win condition when paired with Wrap. Agility also allows Dragonair to ignore the Speed drop from paralysis, although it does not appreciate taking paralysis due to the fact that it decreases the consistency of Wrap. After setting up Agility and using Wrap, the game is simplified to a few key options that allow the Dragonair user to dictate the course of the game. The opponent can stay in on Dragonair with a singular Pokemon as Dragonair threatens to KO it after enough Wrap damage, with the goal being to capitalize on a miss in order to stop the sweep. Alternatively, the opponent can swap between multiple Pokemon in order to spread out the damage and PP stall the Dragonair user. After Dragonair has been removed from the field, perhaps due to it missing a Wrap and crumbling to a choice Blizzard or Thunder Wave, the chip damage and information obtained from Wrap will usually enable a fast sweeper to come in and close out the game. Notable Pokemon for this role include Persian, Dugtrio, Dodrio, and Kadabra. Blizzard and Hyper Beam provide decent coverage that only falters against the likes of Omastar and Haunter. Notably, Hyper Beam is able to KO the likes of Hypno and Tentacruel at around one-third of their health, which is reasonably achievable due to the large amount of chip damage that Wrap provides. This allows Dragonair to remain a threat even after it has been inflicted with paralysis or poison.

Due to how linear Dragonair's strategy is, it is rare to find it using other moves. Thunder Wave and Body Slam can both be used to spread paralysis, t's difficult to fit either into the set due to Dragonair's need for the coverage of Blizzard and the damage of Hyper Beam. These moves can be used on the same turn the foe would use Toxic to cripple Dragonair in order to land a surprise paralysis on a potentially key Pokemon. However, these options are typically better suited for use on Dragonite, as it is able to take advantage of them more effectively due to its higher stats. Thunderbolt is a usable option to decrease Dragonair's weakness versus the occasional Omastar, but like Thunder Wave and Body Slam, it can be difficult to fit into the set, partly due to it still dealing mediocre damage against Omastar.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[pacattacc, 520967]]
- Quality checked by: [[Volk, 530877], [phoopes, 96315]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Muk, 33374 ]]

Last edited:

5Dots

Chairs
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Not a QCer, but:
This allows it to act as a deadly setup sweeper in certain scenarios, or give it the opportunity to weaken the opposing team to the point where it can then be swept by a teammate such as Persian or Dugtrio.
Maybe requote the “it can then...Dugtrio.” to “its teammates, such as Dugtrio and Persian, can finish the job”? I thought for a moment that its teammates will sweep Dragonair after all the wrap work lol.

Reactions: pac

pac

pay 5000, gg?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Not a QCer, but:

Maybe requote the “it can then...Dugtrio.” to “its teammates, such as Dugtrio and Persian, can finish the job”? I thought for a moment that its teammates will sweep Dragonair after all the wrap work lol.
Yeah fair enough, went ahead and implemented.

Volk

Demonstrably alive.
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I am going to summon phoopes, Shellnuts, and Volk
Hi.

This is pretty good. You're getting better at these.

Due to the mechanics regarding RBY Wrap, Dragonair is able to outspeed and stun a variety of opposing Pokemon so as to do large amounts of chip damage over time.
Cleaned up wordiness:
"Due to the mechanics of Wrap in RBY, Dragonair can immobilize Pokemon and deal large amounts of chip damage."
I removed the mention of outspeeding and saved it for the next sentence. See below:

Typically, the counterplay to these strategies is to switch in faster Pokemon that threaten the Wrap user out. However, Dragonair's access to Agility allows it to bypass this, and it is then able to chip freely away at the opposing Pokemon and do large swaths of damage.
The first sentence here is unnecessary.
"Dragonair's access to Agility allows it to outspeed every Pokemon and use Wrap freely until it misses or runs out of PP." Or something like that.

This allows it to act as a deadly setup sweeper in certain scenarios, or give it the opportunity to weaken the opposing team to the point where its teammates, such as Dugtrio and Persian, can finish the job.
Additionally, because Dragonair is often best dealt with through PP stall, it is really good at getting the user a lot of information about the opposing team. This makes identifying your own best sweeper much easier.

It notably has to face competition with its fully evolved counterpart in Dragonite, who has overall better stats, as well as a Ground-type immunity due to its Flying-typing.
More wordiness:
"It notably competes with its fully evolved counterpart Dragonite, which has overall better stats and a Ground-type immunity due to its Flying-type."

On the flip side, Dragonite's Flying-typing is both a blessing and a curse, as it causes it to take extra damage from Ice-type attacks when compared to Dragonair.
Examples please! Dragonair survives every Blizzard in the tier except from Articuno and Dewgong. Dragonite drops to most of these, at least sometimes. These include Tentacruel, Gyarados, Omastar, and Vaporeon, among others I'm sure.

This means that, on an unlucky Wrap miss or two, Dragonair takes less punishment than Dragonite would.
This also means that Dragonair can actually set up on more things than Dragonite.

leaves something to be desired
I hate this phrase in analyses. It is overused and conveys no meaningful information.

Also, its damage output leaves something to be desired compared to other notable offensive threats, which can cause it to struggle when compared to other Pokemon at times.
It may be worth explicitly stating that Dragonair's stats are just not quite on the level of most UU Pokemon. It takes a lot of damage from most moves, has underwhelming speed, and is somewhat weak offensively (84 Base Attack is actually not terrible, but nothing incredible), even if you ignore Wrap.

Overall, while Dragonair has the potential to win games and is certainly a viable Pokemon, it is a niche threat due to the weak points it can open up on your team as well as the competition it faces with Dragonite.
Instead of "the weak points it can open up," I'd say something more like "its lack of defensive utility." You should also make it clear at some point that Dragonair is usually used with Dragonite. Granted, you can actually kind of get away with just Dragonair, but I think it is fair to say that Dragonair will be taking a backseat to its flying father in most (though not all) cases.

Wrap acts as a pivot move, due to its ability to stop the opponent from using a move for the turn, so Dragonair is able to apply offensive pressure through its ability to allow various threats to switch in for less retribution than normal.
Wordiness:
"Due to its ability to stop the opponent from using a move for the turn, Wrap acts as a pivot move, allowing Dragonair to apply offensive pressure and allow its teammates to switch in freely."

Agility allows Dragonair to ignore the speed drop from paralysis, outspeed and threaten threats such as Kadabra with decent damage, and act as a win condition when paired with Wrap.
Kind of weird to specifically and exclusively mention Kadabra here. You may also want to considering adding a few sentences concerning exactly how APT transpires and what opponents might due to handle it, like waiting for a miss or switching around to PP stall. If not earlier, this is a good point to mention the information gap APT creates. Also mention specifically what kind of stuff Dragonair can try to set up on. While you address it a little in the Introduction, you may want to reiterate what you do when you are done with APT (for whatever reason), assuming you don't win outright. This mainly involves arranging sweeps. Finally, paralysis is still a bit of an issue for Dragonair even if Agility helps. Generally, Thunder Wave users are not who you want to set up on.

Blizzard and Hyper Beam act as your attacking moves, notably finishing off foes after sizable chip damage has been done through Wrap.
The two moves offer surprisingly good coverage, only really missing Omastar and I guess Haunter. And this Hyper Beam is nothing to scoff at by the way: Dragonair Hyper Beam vs. Hypno: 120-142 (32.1 - 38%) -- 96.9% chance to 3HKO.

While Thunder Wave and Body Slam can both possibly be used to spread paralysis, it finds difficulty fitting into the set due to your need for the coverage in Blizzard and the damage of Hyper Beam.
I would agree with this, put I would be a little less dismissive. I think Thunder Wave especially has some untapped usefulness.

Also, Haunter should really be mentioned somewhere in this analysis.

That'll be all for now. I think this analysis can afford to be a fair deal longer. I debated for a while if a Mini Analysis was appropriate or not. I am not totally sure if the Mini was the call, but I currently think it is okay. Regardless, this is a reasonably viable Pokemon and it could use a fair bit more detail. Let me know when this is all implemented. Cheers.

Volk

Demonstrably alive.
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hello.

Additionally, because Dragonair is often best dealt with by stalling its Wrap PP, it is really good at gaining information about the opposing team.
I'd be slightly more clear here, mainly just mention that PP stall implies rapid switching, which is where the information comes from.

This allows you to plan your endgame strategy more effectively, as you are less likely to be surprised by an unexpected threat.
Rather than "plan your endgame strategy..." I'd say "simplifies endgames" or something like that.

On the flip side, Dragonite's Flying-typing is both a blessing and a curse, as it causes it to take extra damage from Ice-type attacks when compared to Dragonair.
"Blessing and a curse" is redundant with "on the flip side."

While at full health both Dragonite and Dragonair are in OHKO range from Articuno's Blizzards, Dragonair is able to survive a few notable Blizzards from the likes of Tentacruel, Vaporeon, and Omastar. This means that, on an unlucky Wrap miss or two, Dragonair takes less punishment than Dragonite would, while also allowing it to set up on more Pokemon than Dragonite. However, while it does take less damage than Dragonite, Dragonair still has to deal with extreme damage from Ice-type attacks, which is unfortunate in a tier dominated by the likes of Tentacruel and Articuno.
This information is all 100% fine, I'd just restructure it slightly. Describe setting up before the reduced punishment, for example. And I'd back down "extreme" damage to "heavy" damage.

Typically, Dragonair is used alongside Dragonite due to this.
"As such, Dragonair is typically used alongside Dragonite."

Agility allows Dragonair to outspeed and threaten threats such as Kadabra and Dugtrio with decent damage, and act as a win condition when paired with Wrap.
Replace "threats" with "Pokemon."

Agility also allows Dragonair to ignore the speed drop from paralysis, although it does not appreciate taking Paralysis due to the fact that it decreases the consistency of its Wrap sweeps.
I think you can remove "sweeps," as Wrap as a whole is less effective after paralysis. Also, paralysis is lower case now.

The opponent can stay in on Dragonair with a singular pokemon as Dragonair threatens to KO it after enough Wrap damage, with the goal being to capitilise on a miss in order to stop the sweep, or the opponent can swap between multiple pokemon in order to spread out the damage and PP stall the Dragonair user.
"Capitalize." Coincidentally, capitalize "Pokemon."

After Dragonair has been removed from the field, perhaps due to it missing a Wrap and crumbling to a choice Blizzard or Thunder Wave, the typical approach is to then bring in a fast sweeper that can heavily take advantage of the chip damage provided from Dragonair.
I'd transition a bit better here. Something like "The chip damage and information obtained from Wrap will usually enable a fast sweeper to come in and close out the game."

Blizzard and Hyper Beam act as your attacking moves, providing decent coverage that only falters against the likes of Omastar and Haunter, while also dealing decent damage.
You can probably cut the "while also dealing decent damage" part.

Notably, Hyper Beam is able to KO the likes of Hypno and Tentacruel at around one-third of their health, which is reasonably achievable to reach due to the large amount of chip damage that Wrap provides.
This also keeps Dragonair from being totally dead weight once it is is paralyzed, poisoned, burned, etc.

While Thunder Wave and Body Slam can both be used to spread paralysis, it finds difficulty fitting into the set due to your need for the coverage in Blizzard and the damage of Hyper Beam.
I think Thunder Wave has a degree of surprise value. Most people will probably use Blizzard or Toxic immediately, so the "free turn" could potentially be spent on snagging a key paralysis.

That's it for now. Tag upon implementation and that'll probably be a QC. Cheers!

edit: QC 1/2!

Last edited:

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sup

Dragonair's access to Agility allows it to outspeed every Pokemon
Being pedantic, but I'd say every "unboosted" Pokemon.

As such, Dragonair is typically used alongside Dragonite.
I'd put something in here to describe why. ..."used alongside Dragonite as a second AgiliWrap threat", perhaps? That's how I typically use my Nairs anyway. Like I'll save it as a last 'mon so the opponent isn't expecting it since they've presumably already dealt with my Dragonite. I think the greater details are best saved for the set comments but I'd add that little detail at the end of the overview.

Yeah after looking at set comments, there's no real explanation on how to play Dragonair alongside Dragonite, even though in the overview you say that's how it's normally used. I get that this is supposed to be a mini, but adding some information about that would be very helpful I think. And making it its own little paragraph would make it easy to remove should Dragonite get banned. Things to include here would be:

• not needing to run the exact same set on Dragonite as Dragonair. You could, but I typically replace Hyper Beam with Thunder Wave on Dragonite for better paralysis spreading
  • bringing one out early game to set up and get chip on your opponent to start. Once it's dealt with, your opponent is "fooled" into thinking that they've dealt with AgiliWrap and thus might be more willing to sac their Haunter or something. Then, you bring out your second AgiliWrapper late-game (possibly as a lastmon) to finish the job
  • possibly moving the stuff that Nair can set up on but Nite can't due to Blizzard damage rolls to this section
---

That's what I got so far. In my opinion this miiiight have to get changed to a full if Nite is banned but we'll see I guess

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Amchecking this to help it along. You don't have to implement it unless a GP member tells you to.
Add
Remove
Comments
(AC) = Add Comma
(RC) = Remove Comma
(RH) = Dehyphenate

[OVERVIEW]

Although Dragonair isn't fully evolved, it is still able to scrounge itself a niche in RBY UU because of its access to the deadly combination of Agility and Wrap. Due to the mechanics of Wrap in RBY Thanks to RBY Wrap mechanics, (Less words, same point, and removes negative connotation behind "due". This helps Dragonair, so it's positive.) Dragonair can immobilize Pokemon and deal large amounts of chip damage. Dragonair's access to Agility allows it to outspeed every unboosted Pokemon and use Wrap freely until it misses or runs out of PP. This allows it to act as a deadly setup sweeper in certain scenarios, or give it the opportunity to weaken the opposing team to the point where its teammates, such as Dugtrio and Persian, can finish the job. Additionally, Dragonair is really good at gaining information about the opposing team because it is often best dealt with by switching between Pokemon to PP stall Wrap. This simplifies the endgame, (RC) because you are less likely to be surprised by an unexpected threat. (I am not sure if this line is redundant/fluff or not. Benefit of the doubt here.)

However, Dragonair faces a few key problems. It notably competes with its fully evolved counterpart Dragonite, which has overall better stats and a Ground-type immunity due to its Flying-type. On the flip side, Dragonite's Flying-typing (RH) causes it to take extra damage from Ice-type attacks when compared to Dragonair. While at full health both Dragonite and Dragonair are in OHKO range from Articuno's Blizzards, Dragonair is able to survive a few notable Blizzards from the likes of Tentacruel, Vaporeon, and Omastar. (Restructured to a comparison sentence, as prior to this it made no sense and seemed to be unfinished) This means that Dragonair is able to set up on more Pokemon than Dragonite, while also allowing it to take takes less punishment than Dragonite would from an unfortunate Wrap miss. However, while it does take less damage than Dragonite, Dragonair still has to deal with takes (less words, same point) heavy damage from Ice-type attacks, which is unfortunate in a tier dominated by the likes of Tentacruel and Articuno. In addition to these flaws, Dragonair also struggles in certain matchups against Pokemon that either resist or are immune to Wrap, such as Omastar, Aerodactyl, and Haunter. Haunter is especially a problem for Dragonair, as it takes mediocre damage from Blizzard and Thunderbolt, and is while being immune to both Hyper Beam and Wrap. Also, Dragonair's damage output and bulk is a fair amount less than other notable threats due to its subpar stats compared to the rest of the tier, which can cause it to struggle when compared to other Pokemon at times. Also, Dragonair's stats are a fair bit lower than the tier staples, causing it to struggle offensively and defensively without AgiliWrap. (Less words, same point) Overall, while Dragonair has the potential to win games and is certainly a viable Pokemon, it is a niche threat due to its lack of defensive utility and its competition with Dragonite. As such Ergo, Dragonair is typically used alongside Dragonite.

[SET]
name: Agility + Wrap (We can use AgiliWrap fwiw)

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This set allows Dragonair to play to its biggest strength in Agility + Wrap. Due to its ability to stop the opponent from using a move for the turn, Wrap acts as a pivot move, allowing Dragonair to apply offensive pressure and allow its teammates to switch in freely. Agility allows Dragonair to outspeed and threaten Pokemon such as Kadabra and Dugtrio with decent damage, ("threaten" implies this sufficiently imo) and act as a win condition when paired with Wrap. Agility also allows Dragonair to ignore the Speed drop from paralysis, although it does not appreciate taking paralysis due to the fact that it decreases the consistency of its Wrap. After setting up Agility and using Wrap, the game is simplified to a few key options that allow the Dragonair user to dictate the course of the game. The opponent can stay in on Dragonair with a singular Pokemon as Dragonair threatens to KO it after enough Wrap damage, with the goal being to capitalize on a miss in order to stop the sweep. Alternatively, or the opponent can swap between multiple Pokemon in order to spread out the damage and PP stall the Dragonair user. After Dragonair has been removed from the field, perhaps due to it missing a Wrap and crumbling to a choice Blizzard or Thunder Wave, the chip damage and information obtained from Wrap will usually enable a fast sweeper to come in and close out the game. Notable Pokemon for this role include Persian, Dugtrio, Dodrio, and Kadabra. Blizzard and Hyper Beam act as your attacking moves, providing provide decent coverage that only falters against the likes of Omastar and Haunter. Notably, Hyper Beam is able to KO the likes of Hypno and Tentacruel at around one-third of their health, which is reasonably achievable to reach due to the large amount of chip damage that Wrap provides. This also allows for Dragonair to still be a threat, even after it has been inflicted with statuses such as paralysis or poison.

Due to how linear Dragonair's strategy is, it is rare to find it using other moves. While Thunder Wave and Body Slam can both be used to spread paralysis, it finds difficulty fitting into it's difficult to fit into the set due to your Dragonair's need for the coverage in Blizzard and the damage of Hyper Beam. These moves can be used on the same turn the foe would use Toxic to cripple Dragonair, (RC) in order to land a surprise paralysis on a potentially key Pokemon. However, these options are typically better suited for use on Dragonite, as it is able to take advantage of them better due to its increased stats compared to Dragonair. Thunderbolt is a usable option to decrease Dragonair's weakness versus the occasional Omastar, but like Thunder Wave and Body Slam, (AC) it can be difficult to fit into its set. (you should explain why, namely how it can't kill oma fast enough)

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

• Love
Changes in bold, GP 1/1
View attachment 344653
DRAGONAIR WOO YEAH

[OVERVIEW]

Although Dragonair isn't fully evolved, it is still able to scrounge itself a niche in RBY UU because of its access to the deadly combination of Agility and Wrap. Thanks to RBY Wrap mechanics, Dragonair can immobilize Pokemon and deal large amounts of chip damage. Dragonair's access to Agility allows it to outspeed every unboosted Pokemon and use Wrap freely until it misses or runs out of PP. This allows it to act as a deadly setup sweeper in certain scenarios, or give it the opportunity to weaken the opposing team to the point where its teammates, such as Dugtrio and Persian, can finish the job. Additionally, Dragonair is really good at gaining information about the opposing team because it is often best dealt with by switching between Pokemon to PP stall Wrap. This simplifies the endgame because you are less likely to be surprised by an unexpected threat.

However, Dragonair faces a few key problems. It notably competes with its fully evolved counterpart Dragonite, which has overall better stats and a Ground-type immunity due to its Flying-type. On the flip side, Dragonite's Flying typing causes it to take extra damage from Ice-type attacks when compared to Dragonair. While both Dragonite and Dragonair are in OHKO range from Articuno's Blizzard, Dragonair is able to survive a few notable Blizzards from the likes of Tentacruel, Vaporeon, and Omastar. This means that Dragonair can set up on more Pokemon than Dragonite can, while also allowing it to take takes taking less punishment than Dragonite would from an unfortunate Wrap miss. However, while it does take less damage than Dragonite, Dragonair still takes heavy damage from Ice-type attacks, which is unfortunate in a tier dominated by the likes of Tentacruel and Articuno. In addition to these flaws, Dragonair also struggles in certain matchups against Pokemon that either resist or are immune to Wrap, such as Omastar, Aerodactyl, and Haunter. Haunter is especially a problem for Dragonair, as it takes mediocre damage from Blizzard and Thunderbolt while being immune to both Hyper Beam and Wrap. Also, Dragonair's stats are a fair bit lower than the tier staples, causing it to struggle offensively and defensively without AgiliWrap. Overall, while Dragonair has the potential to win games and is certainly a viable Pokemon, it is a niche threat due to its lack of defensive utility and competition with Dragonite. Ergo, Dragonair is typically used alongside Dragonite.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This set allows Dragonair to play to its biggest strength in Agility + Wrap. Due to its ability to stop the opponent from using a move for the turn, Wrap acts as a pivot move, allowing Dragonair to apply offensive pressure and allow its teammates to switch in freely. Agility allows Dragonair to outspeed and threaten Pokemon such as Kadabra and Dugtrio and act as a win condition when paired with Wrap. Agility also allows Dragonair to ignore the Speed drop from paralysis, although it does not appreciate taking paralysis due to the fact that it decreases the consistency of Wrap. After setting up Agility and using Wrap, the game is simplified to a few key options that allow the Dragonair user to dictate the course of the game. The opponent can stay in on Dragonair with a singular Pokemon as Dragonair threatens to KO it after enough Wrap damage, with the goal being to capitalize on a miss in order to stop the sweep. Alternatively, the opponent can swap between multiple Pokemon in order to spread out the damage and PP stall the Dragonair user. After Dragonair has been removed from the field, perhaps due to it missing a Wrap and crumbling to a choice Blizzard or Thunder Wave, the chip damage and information obtained from Wrap will usually enable a fast sweeper to come in and close out the game. Notable Pokemon for this role include Persian, Dugtrio, Dodrio, and Kadabra. Blizzard and Hyper Beam provide decent coverage that only falters against the likes of Omastar and Haunter. Notably, Hyper Beam is able to KO the likes of Hypno and Tentacruel at around one-third of their health, which is reasonably achievable to reach due to the large amount of chip damage that Wrap provides. This also allows for Dragonair to still be remain a threat, (RC) even after it has been inflicted with statuses such as paralysis or poison.

Due to how linear Dragonair's strategy is, it is rare to find it using other moves. While Thunder Wave and Body Slam can both be used to spread paralysis, though it's difficult to fit either into the set due to Dragonair's need for the coverage of Blizzard and the damage of Hyper Beam. These moves can be used on the same turn the foe would use Toxic to cripple Dragonair in order to land a surprise paralysis on a potentially key Pokemon. However, these options are typically better suited for use on Dragonite, as it is able to take advantage of them more effectively due to its higher stats compared to Dragonair. Thunderbolt is a usable option to decrease Dragonair's weakness versus the occasional Omastar, but like Thunder Wave and Body Slam, it can be difficult to fit into the set, partly due to it still dealing mediocre damage against Omastar.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ]]

pac

pay 5000, gg?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Changes in bold, GP 1/1
View attachment 344653
DRAGONAIR WOO YEAH

[OVERVIEW]

Although Dragonair isn't fully evolved, it is still able to scrounge itself a niche in RBY UU because of its access to the deadly combination of Agility and Wrap. Thanks to RBY Wrap mechanics, Dragonair can immobilize Pokemon and deal large amounts of chip damage. Dragonair's access to Agility allows it to outspeed every unboosted Pokemon and use Wrap freely until it misses or runs out of PP. This allows it to act as a deadly setup sweeper in certain scenarios, or give it the opportunity to weaken the opposing team to the point where its teammates, such as Dugtrio and Persian, can finish the job. Additionally, Dragonair is really good at gaining information about the opposing team because it is often best dealt with by switching between Pokemon to PP stall Wrap. This simplifies the endgame because you are less likely to be surprised by an unexpected threat.

However, Dragonair faces a few key problems. It notably competes with its fully evolved counterpart Dragonite, which has overall better stats and a Ground-type immunity due to its Flying-type. On the flip side, Dragonite's Flying typing causes it to take extra damage from Ice-type attacks when compared to Dragonair. While both Dragonite and Dragonair are in OHKO range from Articuno's Blizzard, Dragonair is able to survive a few notable Blizzards from the likes of Tentacruel, Vaporeon, and Omastar. This means that Dragonair can set up on more Pokemon than Dragonite can, while also allowing it to take takes taking less punishment than Dragonite would from an unfortunate Wrap miss. However, while it does take less damage than Dragonite, Dragonair still takes heavy damage from Ice-type attacks, which is unfortunate in a tier dominated by the likes of Tentacruel and Articuno. In addition to these flaws, Dragonair also struggles in certain matchups against Pokemon that either resist or are immune to Wrap, such as Omastar, Aerodactyl, and Haunter. Haunter is especially a problem for Dragonair, as it takes mediocre damage from Blizzard and Thunderbolt while being immune to both Hyper Beam and Wrap. Also, Dragonair's stats are a fair bit lower than the tier staples, causing it to struggle offensively and defensively without AgiliWrap. Overall, while Dragonair has the potential to win games and is certainly a viable Pokemon, it is a niche threat due to its lack of defensive utility and competition with Dragonite. Ergo, Dragonair is typically used alongside Dragonite.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This set allows Dragonair to play to its biggest strength in Agility + Wrap. Due to its ability to stop the opponent from using a move for the turn, Wrap acts as a pivot move, allowing Dragonair to apply offensive pressure and allow its teammates to switch in freely. Agility allows Dragonair to outspeed and threaten Pokemon such as Kadabra and Dugtrio and act as a win condition when paired with Wrap. Agility also allows Dragonair to ignore the Speed drop from paralysis, although it does not appreciate taking paralysis due to the fact that it decreases the consistency of Wrap. After setting up Agility and using Wrap, the game is simplified to a few key options that allow the Dragonair user to dictate the course of the game. The opponent can stay in on Dragonair with a singular Pokemon as Dragonair threatens to KO it after enough Wrap damage, with the goal being to capitalize on a miss in order to stop the sweep. Alternatively, the opponent can swap between multiple Pokemon in order to spread out the damage and PP stall the Dragonair user. After Dragonair has been removed from the field, perhaps due to it missing a Wrap and crumbling to a choice Blizzard or Thunder Wave, the chip damage and information obtained from Wrap will usually enable a fast sweeper to come in and close out the game. Notable Pokemon for this role include Persian, Dugtrio, Dodrio, and Kadabra. Blizzard and Hyper Beam provide decent coverage that only falters against the likes of Omastar and Haunter. Notably, Hyper Beam is able to KO the likes of Hypno and Tentacruel at around one-third of their health, which is reasonably achievable to reach due to the large amount of chip damage that Wrap provides. This also allows for Dragonair to still be remain a threat, (RC) even after it has been inflicted with statuses such as paralysis or poison.

Due to how linear Dragonair's strategy is, it is rare to find it using other moves. While Thunder Wave and Body Slam can both be used to spread paralysis, though it's difficult to fit either into the set due to Dragonair's need for the coverage of Blizzard and the damage of Hyper Beam. These moves can be used on the same turn the foe would use Toxic to cripple Dragonair in order to land a surprise paralysis on a potentially key Pokemon. However, these options are typically better suited for use on Dragonite, as it is able to take advantage of them more effectively due to its higher stats compared to Dragonair. Thunderbolt is a usable option to decrease Dragonair's weakness versus the occasional Omastar, but like Thunder Wave and Body Slam, it can be difficult to fit into the set, partly due to it still dealing mediocre damage against Omastar.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ]]
Implemented this! This should be ready for upload!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)