Gen 2 Dunsparce (NU) [QC 2/2] [GP 1/1]

This analysis was QCed by ReeceHughes prior to being posted here.

[SET]
name: Glare + Curse
move 1: Glare
move 2: Curse
move 3: Return / Headbutt
move 4: Rest
item: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]
This set takes advantage of Dunsparce's substantial bulk and Glare to almost inevitably leave the foe immobilized by paralysis as Dunsparce repeatedly heals with Rest, giving Dunsparce the opportunity to attack or set up with Curse from a healthy position. Dunsparce is often overlooked in favor of Wigglytuff, which boasts a superior movepool. However, Dunsparce can reliably paralyze Ground-types such as Graveler and Pupitar, which Wigglytuff can only accomplish by using Body Slam. This can be crucial in creating a favorable situation for a sweep, as Graveler and Pupitar are major problems for Curse Normal-types; Graveler can relatively freely remove Spikes with Rapid Spin or use Explosion against them, and Pupitar often runs Screech to deal with them.

Dunsparce pairs very well with Pokemon that can take advantage of paralysis. Some of the most effective examples include Substitute Kingler and Primeape. Powerful Rock-types such as Sudowoodo, Graveler, and Pupitar can also take advantage of paralysis, especially if Pineco has put Spikes up. Teammates such as Kingler, Primeape, and Dugtrio are also useful for dealing with opposing Rock-types and Magnemite. This synergy is amplified by Dunsparce paralyzing these foes such that its teammates can set up with Substitute.

[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Return
move 2: Thunder
move 3: Pursuit
move 4: Glare / Hidden Power Water / Rest

[SET COMMENTS]
This set attempts to make use of Dunsparce's access to Pursuit in order to trap Xatu and the occasional Gastly. Thunder 2HKOes Xatu and has a decent chance of inflicting paralysis, which can allow Dunsparce to finish it off with Pursuit if it flees. As a fourth move, Dunsparce can use Glare to paralyze anything other than Gastly. Hidden Power Water is another potential option to eliminate Graveler and deal heavy damage to Pupitar, two Pokemon that would otherwise entirely wall it. Rest is also an option, although Dunsparce is unlikely to find an opportunity to safely burn sleep turns, except against more passive teams.

Teammates that especially appreciate Xatu being removed, such as Swords Dance or Belly Drum Lickitung, Kingler, Arbok, Hitmonlee, and Primeape, are good choices alongside this Dunsparce set. This Dunsparce set is particularly bad against Magnemite, so teammates such as Dugtrio, Pupitar, Ninetales, and Rapidash are recommended.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Earthworm, 15210]]
- Quality checked by: [[ReeceHughes, 508601], [cherryb0ng, 421511]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429]]

Last edited:
I don't know if I am knowledgeable enough for a QC on a pokemon I literally used once.
Dunsparce is often overlooked for Wigglytuff, which boasts a largely superior movepool. However, Dunsparce has nearly equivalent bulk and access to Glare, which can be used to paralyze Ground-types that are immune to Wigglytuff's Thunder Wave. This can be crucial in creating a favorable situation for a sweep, as Graveler and Pupitar are major problems for Curse Normal-types; Graveler can relatively freely remove Spikes with Rapid Spin or use Explosion against them and Pupitar often runs Screech to deal with them.
Doesn't Wigglytuff use Body Slam as well? In any case I don't see how paralysing the rare Graveler makes it that much better for Dunsparce, since its moveset usually includes something like Curse and Explosion or Counter (and it does have access to Roar). I suppose it assists in countering Pupitar but you should explain that the situation is still technically in the favor of a Curse Graveler if not first taken care of or considerably weakened.

In the first teammates section you could mention that both Kingler and Primeape fair very well against Rock types, epecially the latter, and the fact that Primeape can even threaten Magnemite. Maybe Dugtrio is also a good check to rock and steel types in that regard, or a Water type like Octilerry.

Same goes for the second section. The second set still can't handle Magnemite so you should mention something that specifically counters it/walls it.

I don't know if I am knowledgeable enough for a QC on a pokemon I literally used once.

Doesn't Wigglytuff use Body Slam as well? In any case I don't see how paralysing the rare Graveler makes it that much better for Dunsparce, since its moveset usually includes something like Curse and Explosion or Counter (and it does have access to Roar). I suppose it assists in countering Pupitar but you should explain that the situation is still technically in the favor of a Curse Graveler if not first taken care of or considerably weakened.
Yes, that is a good point. I have reorganised that paragraph a bit. Graveler usually doesn't run Curse, even though it could in theory. It doesn't have access to Roar.

In the first teammates section you could mention that both Kingler and Primeape fair very well against Rock types, epecially the latter, and the fact that Primeape can even threaten Magnemite. Maybe Dugtrio is also a good check to rock and steel types in that regard, or a Water type like Octilerry.

Same goes for the second section. The second set still can't handle Magnemite so you should mention something that specifically counters it/walls it.
I have made changes accordingly. Let me know if there is anything else to improve on before this goes to GP.

Alas my knowledge of OU has made me stupid.

I like it. And I'd say QC 2/2 is done if you don't have any doubts or want me to look into something specific. I read your point on the discord that dunsparce technically checks special attackers decently well offensively so that doesn't need to e included. Earthworm

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC): Add Comma

[SET]
name: Glare Curser (i don't think "Curser" is a thing. "Glare + Curse" is an option, more general stuff like "Glare Sweeper", other stuff too)
move 1: Glare
move 2: Curse
move 3: Return / Headbutt
move 4: Rest

[SET COMMENTS]
This set takes advantage of Dunsparce's substantial bulk and access to Glare in order to create a situation where the foe will nearly inevitably become Glare to inevitably leave the foe immobilized by paralysis as Dunsparce repeatedly heals with Rest, giving Dunsparce the opportunity to attack or set up Curse boosts with Curse from a healthy position.

Dunsparce is often overlooked for in favor of Wigglytuff, which boasts a superior movepool. One of the differentiating aspects between the two is Dunsparce's ability to However, Dunsparce can reliably paralyze Ground-types such as Graveler and Pupitar, which Wigglytuff can only accomplish by using Body Slam. This can be crucial in creating a favorable situation for a sweep, as Graveler and Pupitar are major problems for Curse Normal-types; Graveler can relatively freely remove Spikes with Rapid Spin or use Explosion against them, (AC) and Pupitar often runs Screech to deal with them.

Dunsparce pairs very well with Pokemon that can take advantage of paralysis. Some of the most effective Pokemon at taking advantage of paralysis examples include Substitute Kingler and Primeape. Powerful Rock-types such as Sudowoodo, Graveler, and Pupitar can also take advantage of paralysis, especially if Spikes have been put up by Pineco. Pineco has put Spikes up. Teammates such as Kingler, Primeape, and Dugtrio are also useful for dealing with opposing Rock-types and Magnemite. This synergy is amplified by Dunsparce's ability to paralyze Dunsparce paralyzing these foes such that its teammates can set up with Substitute.

[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Return
move 2: Thunder
move 3: Pursuit
move 4: Glare / Hidden Power Water / Rest

[SET COMMENTS]
This set attempts to make use of Dunsparce's access to Pursuit in order to Pursuit (feel free to tinker around w this and other condensing) trap Xatu and the occasional Gastly. Thunder 2HKOes Xatu and has a decent chance of inflicting paralysis, which can allow Dunsparce to finish it off with Pursuit if it flees. As a fourth move, Dunsparce can use Hidden Power Water to eliminate Graveler and deal heavy damage to Pupitar, two Pokemon that would otherwise entirely wall it. Glare is another potential option that allows Dunsparce to inflict paralysis on to paralyze anything other than Gastly. Rest is also an option, although it Dunsparce is unlikely to be able to find an opportunity to safely burn sleep turns, except against more passive teams.

Teammates that especially appreciate Xatu being removed, such as Swords Dance or Belly Drum Lickitung, Kingler, Arbok, Hitmonlee, and Primeape, are good choices alongside this Dunsparce set. This Dunsparce set is particularly bad against Magnemite, so teammates such as Dugtrio, Pupitar, Ninetales, and Rapidash are recommended.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Earthworm, 15210]]
- Quality checked by: [[ReeceHughes, 508601], [cherryb0ng, 421511]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429]]

pyra.gif
1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)