-Stomping Tantrum
-Stone Edge
-Substitute
-Swords Dance
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder Wave

New Ability

Stalwart
-Ignores the effects of opposing Pokemon's Abilities and moves that draw in moves.

New Moves

Steel Beam (Steel Type | Special | 140 Power | 100% Accuracy | 8 PP)
-User loses 50% of Max HP. Hits adjacent Pokemon.

Duraludon is a Pokemon with a strange typing that semi-conflicts with itself trading some resistances for neutrals such as being a Steel-type not resistant to Fairy, Ice, or Dragon and a Dragon-type not resistant to Fire. But these neutral spreads on top of many resistances it may have make it stand out from other defensive Steel-types like Corviknight or Ferrothorn. It's raw bulk on the physical side allows it to soft check many things or at the very least be an alternative switch in. On the opposite side of the spectrum Duraludon is also a Pokemon that isn't going to be forcing any situations where it can win the game due to it's ability to not boost effectively nor does it have the same exact tools to wallbreak. What it can provide is access is a Stealth Rocks who can at least deal damage to Mandibuzz and Rotom-W and decent neutral coverage all around. On top of that it can be a solution to Gyarados sets that aren't running Earthquake. If the opponent doesn't carry a huge Specially Defensive wall or Steel-type then Draco Meteor is also a free little drawback move since Flash Cannon can threaten Fairy-types switching in anyway. A Choice Specs set could also work but will struggle versus any Steel-Type because it lacks good coverage to hit it.

Duraludon is not a Pokemon who will use Dynamax in order to close out the game but the bulk gain and little bit extra fire power makes it nice as a responsive dynamaxer even living Dynamax Earthquake from Gyarados. Most of the time it's only used for directly answering threats and too live hits which doesn't give it too much dynamax potential. If you are using the Choice Specs set dynamaxing could possibly help to finish off and secure kills if the opponent's team has been weakened enough.

Potential Movesets

Duraludon @ Leftovers
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Stealth Rock

Duraludon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
How is the Gigantamax looking?
The Gigantamax turns your Dragon-moves into Spite which seems very narrow in application. I couldn't think of many times you would want to use it unless you were trying to Spite someones Recover/Roost. You probably just want to stick with Dragon since the -1 Attack could help let it tank some extra hits but ultimately I think they are both gonna be niche.

The Gigantamax turns your Dragon-moves into Spite which seems very narrow in application. I couldn't think of many times you would want to use it unless you were trying to Spite someones Recover/Roost. You probably just want to stick with Dragon since the -1 Attack could help let it tank some extra hits but ultimately I think they are both gonna be niche.
I think it could work well enough in a doubles situation, pairing it with a defensive force like Pressure Corviknight which could then set up Dual Screens

I've been using Shuca+Body Press with some Defense investment to nail cocky Excadrills. Duraludon has base 115 Defense, and Body Press is also Duraludon's only good means of pressuring Ferro, which it can switch into repeatedly but can't touch with its normal coverage. Definitely puts in work.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
If this one gets Parabolic Charge for recovery as coveragee then its Hidden ability will be very usefull.
Also Magnet Rise will be a blessing. Charge Beam?
Its a special cannon with 85 speed, with light screen and trick room usable.

Its abilities Light and Heavy Metal aren't worth talking, Magic Armor or Multiscale would fit in more but maybe we wiill get more dragon/steel in future.

If G-max gets buffed to reduce pp to 1 point of a oponents move then it will rock the floor.

State it's fast? Vacum wave or maybe a increased punching move?

In Doubles, Stalwart Duraludon may have a serious niche when going up against a duo like Indeedee w/ Follow Me and a Trick Room setter. Not saying it'd be good, but still...out speeding threats like that is nice.

If Duraludon learned any fire type moves it would be even better, coverage like flamethrower would help it plenty, but most steel types especially Ferro just comes in easy.
Yeah but for some reason Dragapult got all the fire moves ... and all the special moves while we're at it. I was going through my TMs yesterday and looking at these guys and their offensive stats are such a shame. Duraludon has an awesome physical move pool and Dragapult has an amazing special move pool but their stats are backwards for it (Also can someone explain why Dragapult can learn Dragon Claw but not Shadow Claw?). I can't tell if GF is just trolling or what with some of these Gen 8 pokemon.

I'm not really that good at competitive but if I was going to use Duraludon I think I might use it as a sort of "jack-of-all trades" lead with Snarl, Breaking Swipe, Stealth Rocks and then maybe a hail Mary move like Steel Beam or Draco Meteor. You can set up rocks or and/or punish a switch-in or lead with an annoying offensive stat drop. It's just too bad it can't pivot or rapid spin ...

It might be useful to run Body Press (should do more than Brick Break since it has better defense than attack) for Ferrothorn. Let Ferrothorn set up all its hazards while you whittle it down with Body Press and then bring in a Heavy Boots hazard remover once Ferrothorn has been eliminated.

The fact this thing has very good Def and SpA, acceptable Spe, and a Dialga-like typing is very, very interesting.
But really I can't get past its 50 SpD.

Why did GF need to cripple a very interesting Pokémon with such a curse? We obtained a 70/115 physically defensive Dragon, and a 70/50 specially crapping Steel at the same time... Inverting Atk and SpD could have turned this thing into the ultimate tank imo, with dual STAB/Thunderbolt/Rocks

The fact this thing has very good Def and SpA, acceptable Spe, and a Dialga-like typing is very, very interesting.
But really I can't get past its 50 SpD.

Why did GF need to cripple a very interesting Pokémon with such a curse? We obtained a 70/115 physically defensive Dragon, and a 70/50 specially crapping Steel at the same time... Inverting Atk and SpD could have turned this thing into the ultimate tank imo, with dual STAB/Thunderbolt/Rocks
Because of its lore

I've been using this guy a lot in BSS/Galar Beginning rooms with this set.

Duraludon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Stalwart
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 236 SpD
Bold Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Dragon Tail / Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

TBH the EV investment is kind of arbitrary and I have been playing with it on a daily basis. But with the massive investment + Assault Vest to bring this guys SpD up to something respectable, he can act as a very effective tank. Given this guy has no reliable recovery or major utility outside of Rocks, Assault Vest seems perfect for him. Also his base SpA is so high, even without investment its enough to chip away at the hyper offensive teams that are going around.
This guy can take on any of the offensive waters in the game, in particularly the godlike D-Max Gyara set everyone is using. The main offensive weakness of the set is fighting/ground STAB's coming from he likes of Hawlucha, but if D-Max is utilised its possible to weather even these with 1-2 Defense boosts from Steelspikes. Its for this reason that I believe D-Max is far superior to the G-Max version of the mon. Non-STAB Fighting/Ground moves are still scary but still mostly 2-3 HKO's, even from G-Daramanitan. I'm not sure, but it feels like to me that Stalwart disables Gorilla Tactics. I was amazed how little damage I took from G-Darm's EQ in a fight earlier. Maybe someone can confirm this?
Moveset wise he doesnt have many options to vary. I was using Draco Meteor for easy 1-2HKO on Dragapult (depending on his set), but have been trying Dragon Tail to push out some of the boosters that have been showing up more recently like Cloyster and Polteageist.

The biggest issue of this set that it is totally impudent against another tank/wall that has recovery. Toxapex, G-Corsla etc. can just wear it down with ease.

I've been using this guy a lot in BSS/Galar Beginning rooms with this set.

Duraludon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Stalwart
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 236 SpD
Bold Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Dragon Tail / Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

TBH the EV investment is kind of arbitrary and I have been playing with it on a daily basis. But with the massive investment + Assault Vest to bring this guys SpD up to something respectable, he can act as a very effective tank. Given this guy has no reliable recovery or major utility outside of Rocks, Assault Vest seems perfect for him. Also his base SpA is so high, even without investment its enough to chip away at the hyper offensive teams that are going around.
This guy can take on any of the offensive waters in the game, in particularly the godlike D-Max Gyara set everyone is using. The main offensive weakness of the set is fighting/ground STAB's coming from he likes of Hawlucha, but if D-Max is utilised its possible to weather even these with 1-2 Defense boosts from Steelspikes. Its for this reason that I believe D-Max is far superior to the G-Max version of the mon. Non-STAB Fighting/Ground moves are still scary but still mostly 2-3 HKO's, even from G-Daramanitan. I'm not sure, but it feels like to me that Stalwart disables Gorilla Tactics. I was amazed how little damage I took from G-Darm's EQ in a fight earlier. Maybe someone can confirm this?
Moveset wise he doesnt have many options to vary. I was using Draco Meteor for easy 1-2HKO on Dragapult (depending on his set), but have been trying Dragon Tail to push out some of the boosters that have been showing up more recently like Cloyster and Polteageist.

The biggest issue of this set that it is totally impudent against another tank/wall that has recovery. Toxapex, G-Corsla etc. can just wear it down with ease.
How often do you notice yourself making use of Assault Vest? I've been running Dragon Tail, Stealth Rocks, and Thunder Wave to help set up for my ParaFlinch Togekiss. I've thought about changing it up and adding Vest, but I feel like Kommo-o would be a better D-Tail Assault Vest user.

How often do you notice yourself making use of Assault Vest? I've been running Dragon Tail, Stealth Rocks, and Thunder Wave to help set up for my ParaFlinch Togekiss. I've thought about changing it up and adding Vest, but I feel like Kommo-o would be a better D-Tail Assault Vest user.
Honestly pretty frequently. Being able to take on Dragapult somewhat reliably is handy. Also i think theres an element of surprise factor, since i think most people would expect to crush Duraludon with any strong neutral SpAtk. Also there are very few SpAtkers in the meta atm that utilize Earth Power and or Focus Blast/Aura sphere, which increases his longevity against specially offensive mons.

A lot of people seem to take issue with that to which is understandable. However, I found a way to bypass it. And so far, it enjoys proving people wrong about it not being deserving of OU status. I use assault vest with a stat spread of 196 stamina, 252 special attacks, and either 60 to speed or special defense for additional bulk. And so far, it demolishes Dragapult and Barraskewda.

A lot of people seem to take issue with that to which is understandable. However, I found a way to bypass it. And so far, it enjoys proving people wrong about it not being deserving of OU status. I use assault vest with a stat spread of 196 stamina, 252 special attacks, and either 60 to speed or special defense for additional bulk. And so far, it demolishes Dragapult and Barraskewda.
I completely agree! It also trumps Gyarados, poses a threat to Charizard with Assault vest. Definitely helps I’ve been using him a lot recently. Love it!

Dual screens stealth rock has been a fun set I've been using in UU and I think it definitely needs a mention. Good typing and speed lets it set up easily against a lot and steel beam hits extremely hard and can prevent setup/defog pretty easily. Not sure if an offensive spread or a max hp spread would be better but this is what I've been using.

Duraludon @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Steel Beam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)