SS OU Feedback on First Competitive Team

Hi all, first time trying competitive pokemon, and trying to build a team. While I'm still learning the format I like some of these choices quite a bit and others I'm less attached to. Please feel free to be critical and provide honest thoughts of the team.

Gastrodon-East @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 200 SpA / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Scald
- Earth Power

With the prevalence of water-type tanks and sweepers, Gastrodon seems like a no-brainer and has really impressed as a bruiser thus far. Adding another burn-chance in a meta so heavy on attack-based sweepers seems valuable and the ice coverage against Dragopult has been important. Have considered running protect in place of ice beam but then a little concerned about the team's ability to take down dragon type sweepers in one hit.

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 Spe
- Crunch
- Protect
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch

The aim of this was to fit an intimidate into the team, and also potentially provide fake out pressure against attack heavy teams. I am somewhat underwhelmed thus far, but when Scrafty gets rolling with Drain punch and can tank his way through a team, he has done quite well. Would consider another intimidator but Gyarados lacks some synergy with Gastrodon and fire-type Arcanine seems unnecessary.

Braviary (M) @ Mago Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
- Tailwind
- Protect

One of two Tailwind openers on the team, Braviary doubles as an additional threat, as well as bringing substantial Dynamax potential with MAx Airstream and Knuckle boosting substantial threats. To be honest I've been somewhat underwhelmed and could see Corviknight being a useful replacement here while also providing some bulk and similar typing, while also discouraging intimidate.

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Overheat

Rotom in some form seems like an obvious as an electric type who also uses will-o-wisp in such an attack-centric meta. Heat provides important coverage against steel, particularly against Duraludon, Corviknight and Excadrill. I've considered a Grass Approach to provide a little more Gastrodon Coverage, but lacking substantial fire coverage, this seems like a better choice.

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tailwind
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball

Whimsicott seems to be the most common opener alongside Grimmsnarl, it's reliable speed control has been invaluable for a team that isn't that fast in and of itself, and I've switched back and forth between Taunt and Helping Hand. Moonblast provides some defense against special attackers, particularly Dragopult, and Energy Ball is one of the few reliable ways to take down an opposing Gastrodon.

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play

Thus far this has typically been one of the openers for the team, providing immediate protection to set up one of the others to come in and clean up. Grimmsnarl seems like a good choice in general, but I'm not sure that he fits this team, as it's already pretty bulky, and this spot may be better served with a pure sweeper or some counter to specific strategies like trick room. Considerations include Hydreigon, Dragopult, Darmanitan (Gorilla Tactics), Excadrill (Mold Breaker), Duraludon. Open to suggestions for this spot

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)