Gen 3 Fun With Hitmontop

Building process:
After looking at vapicuno's archetype thread, I decided that I wanted to build a SkarmBliss + Dugtrio Stall.
1611173616850.png
+
1611173626903.png
+
1611173641113.png

I thought that Suicune would make a nice addition since it helps with T-tar, Flygon, Mence, and others.
+
1611173735775.png

I realized that I was weak to Starmie and Gengar if Blissey went down, so I added Jirachi. Wish support is always helpful!
+
1611173828983.png

Finally, I checked for weaknesses. Physical Tar variants and Heracross threaten this style most if Dugtrio is down. I also noticed that I had no way to remove Spikes. The solution to this was Hitmontop. While Hitmontop is no way top-tier (or even mid-tier), I find that it patches up some of the weaknesses.
+
1611174107329.png

1611174307953.png

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drill Peck
- Protect
- Roar
- Spikes

Skarm is the physical wall in the SkarmBliss combo. The EVs maximize that with 8 EVs in Speed make sure that I win the eventual Roar-off. Drill Peck for Hera and others. Protect for scouting and lefties. Roar to phaze set-up and to check for Magneton/Electrics. Spikes is spikes.

1611174534188.png

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Def / 112 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast
- Toxic

Blissey is the special counterpart to Skarmory. The EVs in Special Attack guarantee the OHKO on max SpDef Forretress after a spike. Fire Blast is for Forretress and to catch Metagross switch-ins without risking duggie. Thunderbolt hits shit like Starmie super-effectively and does neutral damage to Zapdos without wasting Fire Blasts. Toxic is to deter set-up mons. Soft-boiled is for recovery.

1611174904843.png

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Aerial Ace
- Sunny Day

Duggie traps stuff. Adamant and CB are for addition power which it so desperately needs (I felt Jolly was too weak). EQ for STAB. HP Bug for Celebi and the occasional Claydol. AA is for my dad Heracross. Sunny Day is to remove sand after Tar is gone. It has not been used yet, thus I will likely replace it.

1611175159074.png

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Ice Beam

Suicune is the token bulky water. Speed is for CB tar and the rest goes into physical bulk. Surf is for STAB. CM is to apply pressure to opposing defensive teams. Rest is for recovery. Ice Beam hits Mence, Flygon, and others.

1611175685939.png

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Ice Punch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Wish
- Protect

Jirachi is another special wall if Blissey goes down. The Defense EVs are to live CB Mence's EQ. Ice Punch is for Mence and Flygon. HP Grass is for Swampert as this team doesn't have a great way to deal with it. Wish is great in general as Skarm and Hitmontop lack a recovery move and could prevent Suicune from having to Rest. Protect is to ensure Jirachi gets its Wish and to scout.

1611176274729.png

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Atk / 196 Def
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Rapid Spin
- Brick Break
- Counter

Hitmontop compresses the roles of CB Tar counter, Heracross counter, and Rapid Spinner. Intimidate lowers the opposing Pokémon's attack, decreasing physical damage taken in a similar manner to Lando-T in later generations, though Hitmontop is way worse. The Attack EVs are required to KOing Heracross after a Spike with HP Flying. The rest goes into HP and Defense to increase its mediocre physical bulk. HP Flying hits Heracross and Breloom. Rapid Spin removes Spikes. Brick Break is for STAB against Ttar. Counter catches things like Lax and Metagross off guard.

While Hitmontop is certainly nowhere near as good as the other members of the team, it certainly has a niche on Dugtrio Stall builds; however, this should be taken with a grain of salt as I am only a tyro to ADV. Hopefully players who are actually good at the tier can test it more thoroughly. Though they probably have since it has an analysis on the site. I unfortunately did not save any replays to showcase Hitmontop.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drill Peck
- Protect
- Roar
- Spikes

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Def / 112 SpA
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast
- Toxic

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Aerial Ace
- Sunny Day

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Ice Punch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Wish
- Protect

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Ice Beam

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Atk / 196 Def
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Rapid Spin
- Brick Break
- Counter

Attachments

Hi, I have a few suggestions for your team that I think would help here,
I have a few suggestions for this team:
1. :skarmory:
Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
So here you should definitely use specially defensive skarmory, sp def allows skarm to tank hydro pumps from pert, tbolts from mag, etc. I would also use toxic protect rather then drill peck here due to you having a dugtrio for heracross and hitmontop switching in to non fighting moves!
2. :jirachi:
I don't think your rachi needs hp grass here. You have cune for offensive perts as well as skarm and bliss. For this reason I would use fire punch or maybe body slam here instead.
3. :hitmontop:
similar to skarmory I'm unsure if you need hp flying here, especially if you have fire punch rachi for hera once dug goes down, since you don't have pursuit here I think hp ghost would a good replacement here so you can chip down gar for a spin.
Overall: I really like the team and are looking forward to future hitmontop builds, good work!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)