Pokémon Galvantula

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe Bisharp hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread.
Now I'm just theorymonning here, but Galvy's ability to lure out defoggers with Sticky Web and potential to facilitate sweeps by slower pokemon seems like it could fill Deoxys-D's role in the Bisharp/Deo-D core on hyper offense teams.

Once Sticky Web is down, Bisharp should have an incredibly easy time sweeping, possibly even letting him invest more in attack (e.g. Adamant over Jolly) or bulk (making it easier to set up a SD).
If they have a Defogger, you can bait them out by laying Sticky Web early and whipping out Bisharp for the easy +2 when you predict the Defog. If they're smart, they'll wait for Bisharp to be out of the picture before defogging the web away, which means you can have a second wallbreaker/slow sweeper out to pressure them into either getting swept by that 'mon or being forced to send out their defogger prematurely. If they wait too long, it'll be too late as the damage has been done. Once the defogger is down, you've hopefully kept Galvantula alive and can find a chance to set up Sticky Web again if they managed to get rid of it. Bonus points if said backup wallbreaker/sweeper can check the defogger (i.e. Mega Mawile vs. Latios, Garchomp vs. Zapdos). Although the only Defogger I can think of that Galvantula doesn't hit hard by himself is Zapdos... not even SpDef Latias likes switching into a Bug Buzz (252 SpA Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Latias: 146-174 (48.3 - 57.6%) -- 48.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery).

In theory, it should play differently from having Deoxys-D as your hazard setter in that the threat isn't the hazard damage racking up, it's getting outright swept by middling speed behemoths that are basically set up as soon/long as Sticky Web is down. And you should play it as such. The point is to pressure your opponent into playing into your hands as you checkmate them-- either Defog and accidentally set up Bisharp or don't and allow -insert threat here- to remain set up. Hyper offense isn't my preferred playstyle, but I might try making a team to see how well (or not at all) this plays out on Showdown for myself.
Has anyone here had success with GalvSharp? Am I drabbling on about this as if it hasn't been done yet? (of course it has, the question is how well that turned/could turn out, and maybe if a niche Galv set could shine here).

I can't believe Bisharp hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread.
Now I'm just theorymonning here, but Galvy's ability to lure out defoggers with Sticky Web and potential to facilitate sweeps by slower pokemon seems like it could fill Deoxys-D's role in the Bisharp/Deo-D core on hyper offense teams.

Once Sticky Web is down, Bisharp should have an incredibly easy time sweeping, possibly even letting him invest more in attack (e.g. Adamant over Jolly) or bulk (making it easier to set up a SD).
If they have a Defogger, you can bait them out by laying Sticky Web early and whipping out Bisharp for the easy +2 when you predict the Defog. If they're smart, they'll wait for Bisharp to be out of the picture before defogging the web away, which means you can have a second wallbreaker/slow sweeper out to pressure them into either getting swept by that 'mon or being forced to send out their defogger prematurely. If they wait too long, it'll be too late as the damage has been done. Once the defogger is down, you've hopefully kept Galvantula alive and can find a chance to set up Sticky Web again if they managed to get rid of it. Bonus points if said backup wallbreaker/sweeper can check the defogger (i.e. Mega Mawile vs. Latios, Garchomp vs. Zapdos). Although the only Defogger I can think of that Galvantula doesn't hit hard by himself is Zapdos... not even SpDef Latias likes switching into a Bug Buzz (252 SpA Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Latias: 146-174 (48.3 - 57.6%) -- 48.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery).

In theory, it should play differently from having Deoxys-D as your hazard setter in that the threat isn't the hazard damage racking up, it's getting outright swept by middling speed behemoths that are basically set up as soon/long as Sticky Web is down. And you should play it as such. The point is to pressure your opponent into playing into your hands as you checkmate them-- either Defog and accidentally set up Bisharp or don't and allow -insert threat here- to remain set up. Hyper offense isn't my preferred playstyle, but I might try making a team to see how well (or not at all) this plays out on Showdown for myself.
Has anyone here had success with GalvSharp? Am I drabbling on about this as if it hasn't been done yet? (of course it has, the question is how well that turned/could turn out, and maybe if a niche Galv set could shine here).
Yep SW Bisharp is a common and brutal combo and I use it semiregularly.

Hey guys, sorry I'm late to the party. I've been testing Galvantula lately and it's been working wonders. I generally let Crobat taunt hazard setters then u-turn out (in the case of Ferrothorn/Forretress, super fang + Brave Bird tends to bring them into KO range for a revenge kill, if not KOing them itself), bring in Galv to lay Sticky Web to lure in a spinner/fogger, then volt switch out.
Once the hazard remover is down, throw sticky web back up and pave the way for slower behemoths like banded Kyurem-B to steamroll what's left of the team.

I must say..I am amazed by Galvantula...its destructive powers are pretty frightening as I once just took it in my team for setting up Sticky Web.
Its SAtk is not really impressive, but as it has Thunder (in combination with Compoundeyes) and Bug Buzz as STAB Moves it can take care of nearly any combination of types. Of course it can't tear down meat bulks like Blissey, but if it could I wouldn't need the rest of the team. Also I found it pretty effective against some Baton Passers and Hazard Setters.

This is my setup for it:

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compoundeyes
EVs: 252 Spd/ 252 SAtk/ 4 HP
Timid Nature

- Sticky Web
- Energy Ball/ Thunder Wave (*)
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz

*=After using Volt Switch for many matches I came to the conclusion, that it was pretty much useless as the enemy either outspeeds Galvantula or takes too less damage to be truly of any use (if Galvantula can outspeed the enemy and it is pretty sure that he will take a lot of damage I prefer to use Thunder or Bug Buzz (or Energy Ball) instead).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)