Gen 5 Gen5 UU - Guess Who's Back

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
So sometime during late BW/early BW2 I began to diversify the tiers I played in hopes of gaining somewhat respectable placements in every tier, and I began that diversification with UU (probably Ubers if I'm honest, but I can't entirely remember so). This is the team I used the most by far, and it got me to a peak of somewhere between 30-35th on the ladder with the old rating system (not the broken one that you could get over 3k with like 15 wins lol). Keep in mind this team is outdated in the sense Chandelure is banned from UU (lol banning Chandelure and not Victini), so it isn't usable in anything outside of a roomtour that pulls a #freechandy. But I still wanted to show the team since it brought me great success.

DISCLAIMER: This is not the exact team; some EV spreads/minor moveset changes were made by me in the last year just to touch up the team a bit in ways I feel made sense.

1517850857860.png

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Overheat / Trick
- Energy Ball

So Chandelure was a real menacing Pokemon back in BW UU due to its unrivaled ability to break teams on the special attacking side of the spectrum; backed by 145 Special Attack and a dual STAB largely unresisted by the meta, and you can see why the poor guy was tested and banned. Snorlax and Porygon-2 being the only real defensive switch-ins make spamming STAB moves really easy, and make breaking opposing teams no hassle. Fire Blast and Shadow Ball are obvious choices - two STAB moves that are easy to spam - but the other two moveslots are a bit unorthodox in some respect. Energy Ball is run to catch people trying to use Swampert or other defensive Ground-types as a switch-in (OHKOs Swampert as opposed to Shadow Ball being a 3HKO, and this is if Swampert is physically defensive). Overheat was largely used a meme option, and looking back at it I seriously believe it to have been a wasted moveslot, but it does force some switch-ins to be a bit more careful given it simply hits harder than Fire Blast. Trick is an entirely viable option over Overheat, and is likely the better one given it cripples Porygon-2 and Snorlax switch-ins.

1517851363623.png

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion

Bronzong was a pretty nice option defensively in BW UU, blanket-checking special attackers such as Raikou, and providing a solid answer to Flygon/Ground-types as a whole. Stealth Rock is always a necessity on a team, I needed a Stealth Rock user, so Bronzong was a good addition in that regard as well. Stealth Rock support is also really crucial given it allows for my wallbreakers to break teams apart more easily. Explosion is a good option in the last slot, because in some games Bronzong is simply not too useful, and getting off good damage on a threat may prove to be crucial in actually giving me a chance to win. Toxic is well, Toxic. Good last option.

1517851642327.png

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight
- Scald
- Roar

Ah, Blastoise. Honestly a meme Pokemon, but provides a few important roles for the team, so I can't really knock it all that much. For anyone that isn't aware of some basics in BW UU, hazard control was largely non-existent; no Defog removal and mostly garbage spinners plagued the tier, so finding a good way to remove hazards proved daunting at times. I went with Blastoise to fill this void, because it gave me a check to things like Darmanitan, Victini (yes Bolt Strike hurts), and Suicune. Now, why Foresight? In this tier, there are a good amount of viable Ghost-types, such as Sableye, Mismagius, and Cofagrigus, so spinning would be pretty difficult otherwise. Foresight gives me a way to actually get a spin off against most teams.

1517851870165.png

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower

I love Honchkrow. It is really threatening to most teams given its typing allows it to dismantle most defensive cores pretty easily. The goal of this team was basically to set up a mop-up for Honchkrow in the late-game by breaking with Chandelure and Mienshao. Once defensive Pokemon are eliminated/weakened, Honchkrow finds it easy to murder through the enemy team and sweep with Moxie boosts. Honchkrow also helps alleviate some problems with Victini since it can trap it with Pursuit, or bop it with Sucker Punch. Standard moveset - dual STAB with Superpower to hit anything brave enough to resist my STABs.

1517852091766.png

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Given hazards were really strong in BW UU, it only makes sense for me to use both Stealth Rock and Spikes on the same team. Roserade provides another good blanket check to special attackers in the tier, checking Raikou, Suicune, and even Virizion. There's really not a whole lot say about what Roserade does; set up Spikes, stay alive with Synthesis, and hit things with STAB Sludge Bomb or Giga Drain. Also, Roserade should not feel forced-out by an opposing Zapdos if it's defensive; you can waste some Roosts pretty easily from most defensive Zapdos variants.

1517852275445.png

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace

Another wallbreaker, another Choice Scarfer. Mienshao provides many important things to the team, with the most obvious being it synergizes well with Honchkrow, being able to help break defensive Pokemon like Milotic apart. U-Turn support is crucial for this team, allowing safer switch-ins for Honchkrow and Chandelure. As I was teambuilding and practicing with the team, Heracross was giving me some issues. I originally had HP Ice > Aerial Ace to help with the Flygon matchup, but switched to Aerial Ace when I realized Heracross was a much bigger problem for the team.

Anyhow, this is the team. I wish I had an SS of the peak, but it was awhile ago and not gonna lie I didn't know how to screenshot my computer screen when I was like, 13/14 lol. Oh well. Hope anyone that sees this enjoys the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)