SM OU heel and toe 1&2

heel and toe 1&2

by Ronneberg

:Clefable:;:Tapu Fini: / :Latias-Mega: / :Gliscor: / :Celesteela: / :Magnezone: / :Ferrothorn:

This team is an artist's interpretation of the advanced USM post Toxapex meta and can be viably used on the ladder, in tournaments, and in wifi battles.

The team is very recovery focused and aims squarely at teams relying on hazards and status to wear opposing teams down, as well as teams lacking enough sticking potential of their own, making it very good against a majority of teams and very reliable. It takes a lot of know-how to use properly and I wouldn't recommend it to inexperienced players who still need to learn the game and/or the meta. This team is tailored for experienced players trying to expand upon their experience with a seam-welded, meta-relevant team. It is quite customizable, being able to adapt to certain matchups and alter its strengths and weaknesses a bit, making it flexible and unpredictable.

the team:

original.gif

Clefable @ Leftovers

Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

- Calm Mind

Clefable was well known for its reliability and consistency ever since XY and it's really a beautiful thing to see how it blooms in the current meta. Magic Guard is a tremendously utile ability which makes it very difficult for most teams to wear Clefable down over time, it has a lot of great matchups and is a very reliable user of the move Stealth Rock. This set compresses hazard access and breaking ability into one set, which helps the team by opening up a move slot for Ferrothorn and in a stall matchup. Minimum Speed ensures that Ferrothorn can't force it out with Gyro Ball while not cutting into its effectiveness, as it rarely relies upon its speed. Having offensive Fairy type coverage also helps in getting rid of offensive threats, such as Mega Medicham, Mega Lopunny, Kommo-O, Ash-Greninja, and Kyurem-B.

tumblr_oadmfzFnpl1r8sc3ro2_500.gif

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Psychic
- Draco Meteor

- Defog

Mega Latias has proven itself to be not only viable in OU, but a big part of its current meta. Being a Mega Pokemon and of Psychic typing always meant competing primarily with Mega Latios and Mega Alakazam, the former being not as consistent as itself and the latter outclassing it for a long time. However, that's changed and it shows why, as it brings far more to the table than being a big Psychic type beater, it has a multitude of flexibly applicable coverage options, immediate recovery and respectable natural bulk, access to Defog, and a multitude of defensive synergy, all of which Mega Alakazam lacks. This set lets it reliably check threats like Keldeo and Kommo-O, Draco Meteor is rarely seen on Mega Latias, but it can lure in Dragon types expecting a harmless set, proceeding to get rid of a major threat to the team. Also, Psychic into Draco Meteor lets it 2HKO specially defensive Kommo-O.

tenor-4.gif

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

- Swords Dance

Gliscor has been rising in popularity due to the fact that people started to notice just how good it was at sustaining itself all while packing both offensive and defensive utility, which not a lot of Pokemon can realistically do. Because it is immune to status due to it being poisoned at all times, it renders a lot of defensive Pokemon helpless, which leads to very straight forward gameplans, which you can abuse; it is very difficult to get rid of without access to super-effective moves. However, while it may be very bulky when properly invested, it is by no means slow and a base 95 Speed is nothing to be ashamed of. Knock Off was picked over Facade because it severely improves its early-game effectiveness and helps wearing down tough to crack foes considering how much likes to come in on Gliscor but doesn't want to get hit by Knock Off. Knock Off also grants neutral coverage in tandem with Earthquake, really helping to push trough an opposing last stand.

c1b.gif

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

- Protect

Celesteela compresses quite a lot of nieche defensive utility that Ferrothorn struggles to, helping to deal with heavy hitting Psychic types such as Tapu Lele and Mega Alakazam as it is neither weak to Fighting type coverage, nor 4x weak to Fire type coverage. It can also effectively check most Landorus-T variants, helping to get off pressure off of Gliscor, as it isn't weak to Hidden Power Ice. All that in addition to its glaring offensive presence opposing Fairy types like Clefable, the Tapus, and Mega Diancie helps dealing with many offensive cores and much defensive glue, and its Fire type coverage lets it completely body Pokemon like Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Kartana. After Beast Boost it is even capable of wrestling down Magnezone.

AcclaimedSilentGartersnake-small.gif

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magnezone is and has been great ever since the introduction of abilities in generation three (Magneton in gen3, you get it). Magnet Pull is a very dangerous ability, enabling it to achieve some pretty wacky stuff, it can kill non Choice Scarf Kartana and Choice Scarf Kartana locked into the wrong move, Mega Scizor has to rely upon its U-turn, Ferrothorn can't do much against it, and Skarmory and Celesteela get messed up by it, those are all dominating matchups against SM's premier threats. It can also abuse Volt Switch with its ability, ensuring damage on Heatran, Magearna, and Jirachi. Flash Cannon is also a pretty underestimated coverage move, netting neutral hits against Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Garchomp, all are Ground types kind of pressured to switch into its Volt Switches. It can even revenge kill an opposing choice-locked Magnezone with Hidden Power Fire.

imgproxy-compressor.gif

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

- Leech Seed

Ferrothorn compresses crucial defensive utility, such as being a Water resist. It also helps checking Fairy types once Celesteela gets taken down or said Fairy type is capable of also dealing with Celesteela. It is also a good surefire check to Tapu Koko. Outsourcing Stealth Rocks onto Clefable means that the team has access to Spikes, which is simply magnificent as it makes wearing down grounded foes that much easier. Power Whip is the preferred coverage option as it allows it primarily to reliably hurt Rotom-W. Thunder Wave lets it optimally capitalize upon free turns, it cripples defensive Pokemon that can't afford losing turns to damage and offensive Pokemon relying upon their speed in order to evade damage, making Ferrothorn way more diversily threatening than one might assume.

adaptations and alterations:

:Clefable:;:Tapu Fini: / :Latias-Mega: / :Ferrothorn:

Changing Clefable to Tapu Fini leads to some re-structuring in the team and severely improves the matchup against Ash-Greninja while losing the access to Spikes. It also worsens the endgame matchup against Clefable.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Taunt

Latias-Mega (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Reflect Type
- Calm Mind

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

- Leech Seed

:Magnezone:

As the team has no Z-move user, Magnezone makes up a fine candidate. Sacrificing the Choice Scarf and Volt Switch has its big downsides, you lose speed control and momentum, but gain power output.

Magnezone @ Electrium Z / Steelium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

- Hidden Power [Fire]

Last edited:
Good team!
I couldn't find any flaws or pokemon that this team particularly struggles with.
Then you haven‘t tried it out, the team struggles with Magnezone, Volcarona, Mega Medicham, Mega Mawile and Kyurem-Black. The matchup is never an instant loss, but it‘s quite tough.

Nice team :)

Something you could do to ease your matchup w/ LO kyu, magnezone, and volcarona, would be run an AV ttar instead. looking at the OU speed tiers resource, I can't see much benefit of the scarf [correct me if I'm wrong] aside from outspeeding 300-speed volcarona, and a few fliers. but i believe av allows it to check those anyway, and can tank a focus blast or +1 bugium from offensive volc if needed.

Also, just a little nitpick, your clef has only a 12% chance to 2HKO ferro with flamethrower. Fire blast has a guaranteed chance, and better power agast all steels, but the accururacy drop may not be preferred.

Unfortunately, medicham just murders your team aside from clef, not sure what to be done here, you would probably have to change some mons. if they play well theres not much you can do.

ash gren might be something you need to watch out for as it shreds this team if ferro is worn down.

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Savage Spin-Out (175 BP) vs. 224 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 284-336 (71.5 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Focus Blast vs. 224 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 212-252 (53.4 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 192-226 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- 47.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Magnezone Corkscrew Crash (160 BP) vs. 224 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 186-218 (46.8 - 54.9%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 201-237 (60.1 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Latias: 296-350 (81.3 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

PsyducksChili

Banned deucer.
Hi! Love this team, I’ll be sure to use it soon, but I’d def run facade on SD Glisc. Also Volcarona pretty much 6-0s this. I’d recommend a clear smog Gastrodon, to stop things like DD Zard X, which also kinda clicks buttons against this team.
Gastrodon (Gastrodon-East) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Shiny: Yes
Sassy Nature
- Clear Smog
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover

also love the skarm gif lol

Last edited:

PsyducksChili

Banned deucer.
Hi! Love this team, I’ll be sure to use it soon, but I’d def run facade on SD Glisc. Also Volcarona pretty much 6-0s this. I’d recommend a clear smog Gastrodon, to stop things like DD Zard X, which also kinda clicks buttons against this team.
Sassy Nature
- Clear Smog
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover

[\SPOILER]
Maybe a Medi counter too. I think Z Giga Kartana also does pretty well, so I def recommend fire punch on TTar to be able to kill it

Sassy Nature
- Clear Smog
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover

There's literally a TTar and sorta a Clefable for Zard X.
TTar also hits Volc.
What are you talkign about

Sassy Nature
- Clear Smog
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover

volcarona literally 360 no scopes gastrodon at +1 with giga drain, as most sets do, unless ur running psychium z, and volc is already listed as a threat

PsyducksChili

Banned deucer.
There's literally a TTar and sorta a Clefable for Zard X.
TTar also hits Volc.
What are you talkign about
Scarfed TTar doesn’t outspeed 1+ Volc. Z Bug kills.

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Savage Spin-Out (175 BP) vs. 40 HP / 48 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 560-660 (159.5 - 188%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Same with Zard, eq has a very high chance to kill

+1 252 Atk Charizard-Mega-X Earthquake vs. 40 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 302-356 (86 - 101.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Clef isnt unaware
Flare Blitz at 1+ can 2HKO, moonblast however, only does 37%-44%

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 336-396 (85.2 - 100.5%) -- 6.3%
chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

I don’t know what YOU’RE talking about, my guy.
Also, did you know that Clefable and Tyranitar aren’t invincible and can die throughout the battle?

I don’t really have anything against what you’re saying, but I’d def recommend testing a team before you say it has absolutely NO flaws

Last edited:
you list zone as a threat but gliscor in itself forces it out. max spd barely touches it unless u drop a corkscrew on it. the most amount of trouble it can give u is if they bring the rare hp ice. most zone run hp fire anyway to drop locked kart or ferro, so u dont have much of a problem there. honestly im not even sure what skarmory is here to accomplish bc it basically gets rocks up and gets forced out by any special attacker ever. tbh i'd drop scarf ttar because honestly im not sure it does anything. change scarf to lefties or something, drop crunch for rocks. scarf ttar barely breaks 300 speed, and just gets insta revenged by medicham or bug z volc. lastly i'd put scarf lando in, eq/uturn/explosion/defog. you need an extra defogger in case lati goes down, and it autoloses to any ice/ice coverage mon. explosion could be a last ditch effort for blanket checking medi or kyub

Thank you to anyone who commented on my RMT, as I was quite surprised by the amount of report I'd receive. Now just a couple things.
Shoutouts to UHX, as his advice to replace Tyranitar's Choice Scarf with an Assault Vest was honestly quite a good idea, this was also the first change I have made to the team:

1. Choice Scarf -> Assault Vest on Tyranitar

Now, I wasn't entirely happy with Clefable's moveset, Flamethrower didn't really do enough as the team already has amazing ways of dealing with Ferrothorn. I've decided to swap it out for Moonblast, so that it can check Mega Medicham, Ash-Greninja, Kyurem-Black, Kommo-O, etc. way better and that went really well. I've also decided to go for a minimum Spe setup, as that helps with Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball tremendously and won't cut into its effectiveness.

2. Flamethrower -> Moonblast on Clefable

Thunderbolt on Mega Latias didn't really do much for me except hitting some stuff super effectively, which wasn't really needed here, I've swapped out the move for Draco Meteor, although this change could end up not being finite.

3. Thunderbolt -> Draco Meteor on Mega Latias

you list zone as a threat but gliscor in itself forces it out. max spd barely touches it unless u drop a corkscrew on it. the most amount of trouble it can give u is if they bring the rare hp ice. most zone run hp fire anyway to drop locked kart or ferro, so u dont have much of a problem there. honestly im not even sure what skarmory is here to accomplish bc it basically gets rocks up and gets forced out by any special attacker ever.
Yes you're right, but the set I was running wasn't a max. SpD set, it was the set provided by Smogon as I just needed a spread as placeholder, however, as I've said, that one is not quite bulky enough to reliably work against Specs Magnezone, which can also trap Skarmory and Ferrothorn (the reason why it will KEEP being listed as a threat). I've changed exactly that and went for a fatter spread, the moveset hasn't been changed.

4. Smogon spread -> fatter spread on Gliscor

Speaking of Skarmory, I've changed its item from Rocky Helmet to Shed Shell in order to aggressively get up rocks against Magnezone early game, which severely helped with a Magnezone matchup.

5. Rocky Helmet -> Shed Shell on Skarmory

Last but not least I've given Ferrothorn Leftovers over the pinch berry, as that provided a more consistent influx of recovery and lowered the punishment of a Knock Off.

6. Iapapa Berry -> Leftovers on Ferrothorn

All changes mentioned are going to be implemented into the original RMT post.

Reactions: UHX

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)