Gen 1 Golbat (UU Mini Analysis) [QC 2/2] [GP 1/1]

pac

pay 5000, gg?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Golbat.png

[OVERVIEW]

Golbat, just like in Mt. Moon, is not going to be doing much more than annoying your opponent most of the time. It is a terrible Pokemon due to its bad movepool, mediocre stats, and weak typing. Golbat has two main gimmicks that let it somewhat stand out from other Pokemon. It is the only Flying-type to also have access to Confuse Ray, and it has access to Screech, which lowers the opponent's defense by two stages and thus allows Golbat to threaten a potential KO on an already weakened Pokemon. The issue is that the opponent can simply switch to something else to reset the Defense drop before they get hit. Golbat's other utilities, such as its Earthquake immunity and outspeeding Dragonite with Toxic, are mitigated, since better Pokemon have these same traits, such as Dodrio and Aerodactyl. Golbat should never be considered for a competitive UU team.

[SET]
name: Utility Screech
move 1: Confuse Ray
move 2: Double-Edge
move 3: Screech
move 4: Toxic

[SET COMMENTS]

This set aims to make the best of the variety of effects and conditions that Golbat can inflict on the foe. Due to Golbat's horrendously barren movepool, there is not much to choose from. Double-Edge is used to profit from Screech's Defense drops, allowing its damage to be more threatening. This forces the foe to switch, or take potentially heavy damage from Double-Edge. Golbat's base 90 Speed allows it to outspeed Dragonite and use Toxic, stopping Dragonite from stealing games with AgiliWrap sweeps. Confuse Ray is used to provide Golbat opportunities to set up Screech, especially in situations against paralyzed Pokemon. Confuse Ray is also useful in decreasing the foe's Wrap consistency, which is important due to Tentacruel's Toxic immunity, as well as being decent interruption.

Hyper Beam can be used instead of Double-Edge to profit off of the extra damage that Screech provides, although the opposing Pokemon can simply switch out and force Golbat to recharge. However, a previously set-up Substitute, if used instead of Toxic, can help mitigate this situation. Be warned, however, that replacing Toxic opens your team up to a Dragonite weakness. Substitute can also be used to reduce the need for prediction, allowing Golbat to scout and potentially even get additional opportunities to set up. Finally, Mega Drain can be another alternative to Toxic, as it helps 4HKO Omastar and 3HKO the rare Golem, which Golbat otherwise cannot accomplish.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Pacattacc, 520967]]
- Quality checked by: [[Plague von Karma, 236353], [phoopes, 96315]]
- Grammar checked by: [[name, id]]

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
OOs aren't a thing in the Mini format, it can just be a second paragraph in the analysis. All moves in those paragraphs also shouldn't be in the main set. I get why you went for it, but you should try to keep to the main format.

Its main gimmick, setting up Screech, is easily avoidable the majority of the time.
I'd argue Golbat's main gimmicks is being the only Flying-type (and as such the only Ground-immune Poison-type) with Confuse Ray access, which is absolutely notable. I guess it's also the only one to get Mega Drain too, but lmfao that's not dealing much. Definitely tweak this though, it's Golbat's strongest point...as feeble as it may be.

move 4: Substitute/Toxic
What's Substitute actually doing here? From what you're saying, you use it to set up Screech, but it seems more as though you'd set it up when they switch so you can rinse and repeat. I'm not sure whether this would be better than Toxic, though?

Hyper Beam is used to profit off of the extra damage that Screech provides, although the opposing pokemon can simply switch out and force Golbat into a recharge scenario. This still allows you to force a switch in certain scenarios, so it can still be worth it.
In this case, shouldn't Double-Edge be the first option? Hell, maybe Hyper Beam should be in the 4th slot considering it's your only attacking option. It just seems like a really iffy set.

The entire OO paragraph should be reworked with what I said in mind. You should mention Mega Drain in the paragraph for chipping Golem and Omastar.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
and it has access to Screech which allows its damage to be somewhat threatening in certain scenarios. The issue is that Screech is easily avoidable the majority of the time.
Be more specific on the "certain scenarios", as it's vague in its current state. I'm assuming that forcing switches and allowing Hyper Beam to deal tolerable damage are what you're on about, so note those.

Golbat's other utilities, such as its Earthquake immunity and outspeeding Dragonite with Toxic, are mitigated since many other top tier Pokemon have these same traits, such as Dodrio and Dugtrio.
This implies Dugtrio is immune to Earthquake. Remove that, and then go on to talk about other "faster than Dragonite with Toxic" mons like Persian and said Dugtrio.

this still allows you to force a switch in certain scenarios, so it can still be worth it.
Replace with "this forces the opponent to either switch or take potentially heavy damage from Double-Edge". It's more definitive and gets across what situation you're pushing on the opponent.

Confuse Ray is used to provide Golbat opportunities to setup Screech, especially in situations against paralyzed or asleep Pokemon.
Are you sure that's the only use? It can decrease Wrap's consistency, which I'd say is a nice deal against Tentacruel due to its Toxic immunity. Outside of that, it's just nice interruption.

Substitute can also be used to provide additional situations for setting up.
"Substitute can also be used to reduce the need for prediction, allowing Golbat to scout and potentially even get additional opportunities to set up."

Mega Drain can also be used, as it helps Golbat damage Omastar and the rare Golem more effectively.
  • Golbat Mega Drain vs. Omastar: 91-108 (26.5 - 31.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO (13 - 15.2% recovered)
  • Golbat Mega Drain vs. Golem: 142-168 (39.1 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (20.1 - 23.7% recovered)
Cite the calcs for this so it's more objective.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Confuse Ray is used to provide Golbat opportunities to setup Screech, especially in situations against paralyzed or asleep Pokemon.
Why confuse a sleeping Pokemon? Or are you trying to say to use Screech against a sleeping Pokemon? I wouldn't even do it there, to be honest.

Outside of that, I think I'll let the next QCer run through it.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
and it has access to Screech which allows its damage to be more threatening against weakened Pokemon. The issue is that Screech is easily avoidable the majority of the time.
I think this could made worded a little more clearly. What I think you're going for is that Screech allows it to do more damage due to the defense drop and potentially KO an already weakened Pokemon, with the issue being that the opponent can simply switch out to nullify this strategy. So maybe something like, "...and it has access to Screech, which halves the opponent's defense and thus allows Golbat to threaten a potential KO on an already weakened Pokemon. The issue is that the opponent can simply switch to something else to reset the defense drop before they get hit."

Also in your other options paragraph, I think it would be helpful to say what move you're replacing for Substitute or Mega Drain. I'm assuming Toxic, since the whole gimmick behind Golbat is Confuse Ray -> Screech -> Double Edge/Hyper Beam, but I think it would be helpful to the reader to know exactly what you're replacing.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you're willing to risk the extra Dragonite weakness, there are other moves you can run over Toxic. Hyper Beam can be used to profit off of the extra damage that Screech provides, more than the weaker Double-Edge, although the opposing pokemon can simply switch out and force Golbat into a recharge scenario. However, a previously set up Substitute, if run, can help mitigate this situation. Substitute can also be used to reduce the need for prediction, allowing Golbat to scout and potentially even get additional opportunities to set up. Mega Drain can also be used, as it helps 4HKOs Omastar and 3HKOs the rare Golem, which Golbat otherwise struggles to accomplish.
I'm going to switch up the order of some sentences here if you don't mind.

"Hyper Beam can be used instead of Double Edge to profit off of the extra damage that Screech provides, although the opposing Pokemon can simply switch out and force Golbat into a recharge scenario. However, a previously set up Substitute, if used instead of Toxic, can help mitigate this situation. Be warned however that replacing Toxic opens your team up to a Dragonite weakness. Substitute can also be used to reduce the need for prediction, allowing Golbat to scout and potentially even get additional opportunities to set up. Finally, Mega Drain can be another alternative to Toxic, as it helps 4HKOs Omastar and 3HKOs the rare Golem, which Golbat otherwise cannot accomplish."

QC 2/2

• Love
Reactions: pac

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
[OVERVIEW]

Golbat, just like in Mt. (space) Moon, is not going to be doing much more than annoying your opponent most of the time. It is a terrible Pokemon, (RC) due to its bad movepool, mediocre stats, and weak typing. Golbat has two main gimmicks that let it somewhat stand out from other Pokemon. It is the only Flying type-type (AH) to also have access to Confuse Ray, and it has access to Screech, which halves the opponent's defenselowers the foe's Defense by two stages and thus allows Golbat to threaten a potential KO on an already weakened Pokemon. The issue is that the opponent can simply switch to something else to reset the dDefense drop before they get hit. Golbat's other utilities, such as its Earthquake immunity and outspeeding Dragonite with Toxic, are mitigated, (AC) since better Pokemon have these same traits, such as Dodrio and Aerodactyl. Golbat should never be considered for a competitive UU team.

[SET]
name: Utility Screech
move 1: Confuse Ray
move 2: Double-Edge
move 3: Screech
move 4: Toxic

[SET COMMENTS]

This set aims to make the best of the variety of effects and conditions that Golbat can inflict on the fopponent. Due to Golbat's horrendously barren movepool, there is not much to choose from. Double-Edge is used to profit from Screech's dDefense drops, allowing its damage to be more threatening. This forces the opponent to switch,foe to switch or take potentially heavy damage from Double-Edge. Golbat's 90 base sbase 90 Speed allows it to outspeed a Dragonite and use Toxic, stopping Dragonite from stealing games with AgiliWrap sweeps. Confuse Ray is used to provide Golbat opportunities to set (space) up Screech, especially in situations against paralyzed Pokemon. Confuse Ray is also useful in decreasing the opponent's wfoe's Wrap consistency, which is important due to Tentacruel's tToxic immunity, as well as just being decent interruption.

Hyper Beam can be used instead of Double Edge-Edge (AH) to profit off of the extra damage that Screech provides, although the opposing Pokemon can simply switch out and force Golbat into a recharge scenario. However, a previously set up-up (AH) Substitute, if used instead of Toxic, can help mitigate this situation. Be warned, (AC) however, (AC) that replacing Toxic opens your team up to a Dragonite weakness. Substitute can also be used to reduce the need for prediction, allowing Golbat to scout and potentially even get additional opportunities to set up. Finally, Mega Drain can be another alternative to Toxic, as it helps 4HKOs Omastar and 3HKOs the rare Golem, which Golbat otherwise cannot accomplish.
GP 1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)