ORAS LC goons n goblins

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead

hey i just lost in lc open and wanted to do something quick to show off a team that im really happy with and one of the few good lc teams ive ever made. this is also my 1k but i deleted quite a few posts so it really isnt that big of a milestone or even my true 1k but whatever. i made this team specifically to beat levi, which it did do in game 1, but it also had success in testing and on ladder which is why i felt like writing this up. while most people dont really feel like lc is that competive or that great of a metagame ive actually really enjoyed playing it the past few weeks since its all about offense and the games are done quickly and a majority of them are quite fun. once i get more time i hope that i can play and get into lc more, but for now all i really have is this rmt.
* * goons n goblins
corphish @ eviolite | adaptability
adamant | 12 hp / 196 atk / 76 def / 156 spe
swords dance / aqua jet / crabhammer / aerial ace

this team started because i felt a lot of teams are fairly weak to phish as well as it being an incredibly strong wallbreaker. sd is standard on most sets and i find it to be the superior move compared to dragon dance for boosting. jet and hammer provide solid stab moves with crabhammer being 200bp after adap allow phish to power through resists really easily. for the final move i considered a lot of options but i feel like aerial ace is the best fit for this team. aerial ace lures in things like cottonee / foongus that like to switch in on corphish after / on the swords dance since they usually wall the standard dual stab / knock off set that most people choose to run. aerial ace synergises well with the rest of the team since knock off from cotton removes opposing foongus eviolite which allows a +2 ace to take it out.​
* * hands up
cottonee @ eviolite | prankster
timid | 36 hp / 40 def / 144 spa / 40 spd / 232 spe
dazzling gleam / hidden power [fighting] / encore / knock off

cottonee was the next mon i added in order to help with grass types like foongus and removes its eviolite in order for corphish to clean up. knock off is also just really helpful in lc as it removes eviolites from annoying pokemon to the team like ponyta and larvesta which come in on cottonee. I went with a more offensive set in order to better deal with pawniard which at +2 could prove a menace to the rest of the team. cottonee also provides a solid water type switch in for mons like chinchou and corphish. encore helps vs set up mons like sd fletch and other moves that can't threaten cottonee like stealth rock from something like ferroseed or onix, it also lets it encore moves like psychic from abra in order to let vullaby set up or an ice move for corphish to set up on.​

* * atom bomb
magnemite @ berry juice | sturdy
modest | 36 def / 236 spa / 236 spe
volt switch / flash cannon / recycle / endure

i really needed something to check flying types at this point since a well played fletch can easily beat the rest of my team. sturdy juice mag seemed like the best check since it can check most variants of fletch since overheat just brings it down to sturdy and it can just volt switch out. endure helps it in case rocks are up / its been worn down from acrobatics or u-turn in a previous switch in. volt switch is very useful for picking up momentum on things like porygon and mienfoo that switch in, while flash cannon provides a useful secondary stab that is used to beat things like cm spritzee and cottonee. it also prevents diglett from revenging killing it if sturdy is still intact and its a non-sash diglett, though that can still be prevented if berry juice hasnt been used up either.​
originally on this team i had a magnet pull set in order to trap steel types for a corphish sweep late game, but that just left me wide open to getting swept by an overheat fletch which made me switch to this mag set and a fast hp fighting cottonee. at this point im not sure if magnemite is even the right choice for this slot so any suggestions about this would be helpful.​

* * pump it up
drilbur @ berry juice | mold breaker
jolly | 36 hp / 76 atk / 36 def / 76 spd / 212 spe
earthquake / poison jab / rapid spin / stealth rock

at this point i needed a rocker and with 3/3 mons affected by spikes and rocks i decided that i also wanted some form of hazard control. drilbur fit in really well for this team as its able to get up rocks and spin away hazards easily since berry juice lets it come back to health in most games for free. eq is its strongest stab move and gets solid damage off on a majority of the tier since with mold breaker even levitators can't dodge the eq. poison jab was a suggestion from star since it helps drilbur lure in cottonee which can encore or memento vs corphish in order to make its set up useless.​

* * tequila
mienfoo @ choice scarf | regenerator
adamant | 236 atk / 36 spd / 236 spe
high jump kick / knock off / drain punch | stone edge / u-turn

i added mienfoo as a cleaner since the rest of the team cleans up very nicely for a scarf mienfoo sweep in most games. adamant high jump kick deals a ton of damage even to resists and its usually whats clicked in the end game for a mienfoo sweep. knock off is standard in order to hit ghosts types like gastly and remove eviolites from pokemon like spritzee and cottonee that want to switch in early game. the third move is usually a toss up. drain punch is another useful tool for lategame cleaning when you don't want to risk a miss due to high jump kicks less than perfect accuracy and the fact it takes away 50% of your health every time you miss or jump into a protect. another option is stone edge to deal with things like ponyta and larvesta that switch in fishing for flame body burns. u-turn is the final move that helps pick up momentum early game as well as get mienfoo health back through regenerator.​

* * body rock
vullaby @ berry juice | weak armor
modest | 116 hp / 240 spa / 120 spe
nasty plot / dark pulse / air slash / heat wave

the last mon i added to the team was vullaby as a strong wallbreaker and set up mon. i feel like this vullaby set isnt used at much which is a travesty since its so good. special vullaby is really nice at luring in physical walls. dark pulse and air slash are standard stabs that have great coverage in lc missing out on things like pawniard which is heat by heat wave anyway. weak armor is key to this set as it gives vullaby a speed boost for every physical boost it takes allowing it to outspeed things like abra and mienfoo and hitting them with air slash or dark pulse. heat wave is there to hit ferroseed and pawniard, and kill them for an easier corphish sweep late game.​
threat list
ponyta and larvesta are the biggest threats to the team since the water resist is a corphish that doesnt really want to take a wisp. in the game vs levi [ http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-lc-191156 ] i managed to handle the ponyta by knocking off its eivolite then hitting it with magnemite and vullaby, but it would have been a bigger threat had it retained its eviolite or had magnemites sturdy been broken.

a well played fletch-dig is also really annoying for the team since the only way i have of checking fletch is mag, and a u-turn to dug + correct prediction on the endure play means that mag can go out of commission really quickly.

im sure there are a few other things, but these are the biggest issues i had when i was testing the team.

import & shoutouts
not going to do too many shoutouts since i did quite a few on my last rmt, but huge shoutouts to ZoroDark and Sken for helping me through the early rounds of open as well as Heysup for playing a shit ton of test games in he past two weeks. :toast: also sorry if the formatting got a little messed up, not everything looks the same on a phone. .
goons n goblins (Corphish) @ Eviolite
Ability: Adaptability
Level: 5
EVs: 12 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- Aerial Ace

hands up (Cottonee) @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 36 HP / 40 Def / 144 SpA / 40 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Encore
- Knock Off

atom bomb (Magnemite) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Recycle
- Endure

pump it up (Drilbur) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 76 Atk / 36 Def / 76 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

tequila (Mienfoo) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- U-turn

body rock (Vullaby) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 116 HP / 240 SpA / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)