move 2: Light Screen
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Spirit Break
item: Light Clay
ability: Prankster
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Atk

[SET COMMENTS]
Grimmsnarl finds usage in Hyper Offense teams thanks to it's ability Prankster in combination with utility moves such as dual screens and Taunt. Grimmsnarl's access to Prankster, helping differentiate it from other screens user such as Alolan Ninetales, and it's serviceable bulk allows it to almost always set up Reflect and/or Light Screen multiple times throughout a game, supporting it's teammates by opening more opportunities for them to setup and sweep. Prankster Taunt prevents passive Pokemon, such as non-Iron Head Corviknight and Skarmory from defogging in front of Grimmsnarl, while also preventing status moves, such as Thunder Wave or Toxic, that would otherwise cripple a Pokemon's sweeping potential if caught on the switch in addition to preventing opposing Pokemon from setting up. Spirit Break prevents Grimmsnarl from being completely passive, and threatens Dark-types such as Mandibuzz that are immune to Prankster. Spirit Break in combination with Taunt is also able to slowly whittle down Pokemon such as Hippowdon and Clefable, as they are unable to use recovery moves, helping it's teammates to sweep more easily late game.

Grimmsnarl is usable almost exclusively on Hyper Offense teams, which appreciate Grimmsnarl's ability to setup screens consistently throughout the game. Try preserving Grimmsnarls health early game so it is able to set up screens multiple times throughout the game. Teammates such as Rillaboom and Hawlucha appreciate the screen support Grimmsnarl offers as they become significantly harder to revenge kill underneath them. Dragon Dance Dragapult appreciates the screens support while also being able to spinblock. Entry hazard setters such as Necrozma, Focus Sash Excadrill, and Mew fit well on the Hyper Offense teams that Grimmsnarl finds itself on. Urshifu is able to bypass screens thanks to Wicked Blow, so Choice Scarf Togekiss makes a good teammate, along with it's ability to potentially cripple a Pokemon with Trick and sweep late game with Air Slash. Grimmsnarl struggles against offensive Fairy-types such as Calm Mind Clefable so teammates such as Scizor and Excadrill are appreciated for it's ability to threaten them out.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Urushifu, 522724]]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
AMcheck
(Comments in purple)

[SET]
name: Screens
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Spirit Break
item: Light Clay
ability: Prankster
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Atk

[SET COMMENTS]
Grimmsnarl finds usage in Hyper Offense teams thanks to it's ability Prankster in combination with utility moves such as dual screens and Taunt. Grimmsnarl's access to Prankster and it's serviceable bulk allows it to almost always set up Reflect and/or Light Screen multiple times throughout a game, supporting it's teammates by opening more opportunities for them to setup and sweep. (I would mention how Grimmsnarl faces competition from Alohan Ninetales, but mention what makes Grimm stand out with access to Prankster, Taunt, and better bulk) Prankster Taunt prevents passive Pokemon, such as non-Iron Head Corviknight and Skarmory from defogging in front of Grimmsnarl, while also preventing status moves, such as Thunder Wave or Toxic, that would otherwise cripple a Pokemon's sweeping potential if caught on the switch in addition to preventing opposing Pokemon from setting up. Spirit Break prevents Grimmsnarl from being completely passive, and threatens Dark-types such as Mandibuzz that are immune to Prankster. Spirit Break in combination with Taunt is also able to slowly whittle down Pokemon such as Hippowdon, as they are unable to use recovery moves, helping it's teammates to sweep more easily late game.

Grimmsnarl is usable almost exclusively on Hyper Offense teams, which appreciate Grimmsnarl's ability to setup screens consistently throughout the game. Try preserving Grimmsnarls health early game so it is able to set up screens multiple times throughout the game. Teammates such as Rillaboom and Hawlucha appreciate the screen support Grimmsnarl offers as they become significantly harder to revenge kill underneath them. Dragon Dance Dragapult appreciates the screens support while also being able to spinblock. (I'm not sure what the relevance of being able to spin block is for. No entry hazards have even been mentioned so far, and as far as I'm aware Screens Offense teams only use Stealth Rock, so the ability to block Spin to me isn't important to mention) Stealth Rock users such as Necrozma and Focus Sash Excadrill fit well on the Hyper Offense teams that Grimmsnarl finds itself on. (Excadrill's ability to check Fairy-types is also noteworthy) Grimmsnarl struggles against offensive Fairy-types such as Calm Mind Clefable so teammates such as Scizor are appreciated for it's ability to threaten them out and pivot with U-turn into Grimmsnarl to set up screens (I don't think U-turn Scizor is worth mentioning, as the Scizor most commonly seen on these teams is SD)

(I think mentioning Urshifu's ability to somewhat bypass Screens thanks to Wicked Blow needs to be mentioned, as well as good checks to Urshifu. Defog also removes Screens, so Bisharp could be a good team mate to benefit from that)

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[username1, userid1]]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]
This looks good, nice job :toast:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I'm going to defer on the EV spread and nature to the second person checking this as I do not have firsthand experience constructing Grimmsnarl sets, but the rest is pretty straightforward.

Spirit Break in combination with Taunt is also able to slowly whittle down Pokemon such as Hippowdon, as they are unable to use recovery moves, helping it's teammates to sweep more easily late game.
Mention forcing chip Clefable here, too. HO loves both of these Pokemon weakened, even if it is just 25-50% (which is very possible with Light Screen up as Clefable enters). Enough for something like DD Dragapult or SD Hawlucha to have a field day afterwards.

Stealth Rock users such as Necrozma and Focus Sash Excadrill fit well on the Hyper Offense teams that Grimmsnarl finds itself on.
I would mention Mew here, too. It has seen a decent amount of usage on HO teams as a lead and dual screens appreciates Spikes as well as a lot of people try to switch to stall the turns. Spikes punish this strategy.

rest is fine, 1/2

This description does not include and explanation of the recommended ev and nature combo. Why jolly max spe/hp? People also often run adamant with 92HP for this set as well as careful

Urushifu

Banned deucer.
I think running max speed is best to win taunt speed ties in mirrors and Grimmsnarl isn't really used for it's attack prowess especially with the drop off of Mandibuzz so maximizing it's ability to set up screens multiple times is preffered

Grimmsnarl is immune to Prankster moves (on account of being a Dark type), so either you'll move first with Prankster or you'll be immune to Taunt, so that the speed doesn't matter. The only time this will make a difference is if you want to use Taunt before another Prankster mon (not Grimmsnarl or any other Dark) manages to get off any screens, but I'd say that's a pretty limited use. I'd personally go with more attack or bulk, unless you have something you want to outspeed and hit with Spirit Break.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)