Battle Spot Gyarados

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[SET]
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Bounce / Ice Fang
move 4: Earthquake / Power Whip
item: Wacan Berry / Life Orb / Mystic Water
ability: Intimidate
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
This Gyarados focuses on sweeping, with Dragon Dance allowing it to outspeed even fast foes such as Dragapult. With Bounce, Gyarados makes an extremely effective user of Dynamax, being able to boost its Speed with Max Airstream and hit Grass-types such as Rillaboom and Ferrothorn hard. Earthquake gives Gyarados a way to hit Toxapex and make itself even bulkier once Dynamaxed thanks to Max Quake's Special Defense boost. Ice Fang can be used as a more reliable way to hit Grass- and Dragon-types while not Dynamaxed, and the hail provided by Max Hailstorm can be useful for getting rid of Focus Sashes from the likes of Dragapult. Power Whip is also an option for hitting Rotom-W and other bulky Water-types fairly hard, at the cost of having no coverage for Toxapex.

Wacan Berry is an excellent item for Gyarados, allowing it to Dynamax and take less than 50% damage from Choice Scarf Rotom-A's Thunderbolt, ensuring they won't stop your sweep. Life Orb is the best choice for giving Gyarados the extra power to sweep, but if it's already in use by another team member, type boosting items such as Mystic Water can still allow Gyarados to sweep late-game. Lum Berry is also an option, guarding Gyarados once from status moves which would otherwise stop a sweep. Intimidate is usually preferred to help Gyarados set up, and it can potentially stop sweeps from powerful physical attackers in a pinch. However, Moxie gives Gyarados new sweeping opportunities, especially when paired with Max Airstream while Dynamaxed, giving Gyarados the same boosts Dragon Dance would without the need to spend a turn setting up.

Even with Power Whip, Choice Scarf Rotom-W is a primary revenge killer of Gyarados, and attackers that use Electric-type attacks in general such as Rotom-H and Duraludon can prevent Gyarados from setting up effectively, so having Ground-types as teammates is highly recommended. Excadrill and Mamoswine are fantastic offensive choices, and Hippowdon is a good defensive choice that can set up Stealth Rock to get rid of Focus Sashes that stop Gyarados's sweep. Grass-types such as Rillaboom and Ferrothorn are also good choices for resisting Rotom-W's Hydro Pump, in case they aren't Choiced or Dynamaxed.

[SET]
name: All-out Attacker
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Bounce
move 3: Power Whip
move 4: Earthquake / Crunch / Ice Fang
item: Choice Band / Sharp Beak / Life Orb
ability: Moxie

[SET COMMENTS]
This Gyarados set takes full advantage of Dynamax and Moxie to attempt a sweep without using a turn to set up, while also giving it good early-game power. Waterfall is a great move to throw out without Dynamaxing, but Bounce should usually only be used when attempting to sweep with Gyarados after a Dynamax or to stall out opposing Dynamax, since the extra turn it takes to use can otherwise be taken advantage of. Power Whip provides great coverage for bulky Water-types such as Rotom-W and Quagsire, two Pokemon that would otherwise give Gyarados problems. Earthquake is a useful option for Toxapex and Duraludon, Crunch hits Dragapult the hardest, and Ice Fang gives good back up coverage against Rillaboom and Dragapult when not Dynamaxed, in additon to summoning Hail while Dynamaxed to get rid of Focus Sashes. Choice Band is the preferred item, giving Gyarados plenty of power without setting up, which is key for getting a Moxie boost before Dynamaxing. However, if Choice Band is already used up, or your team needs to switch moves after the Dynamax, Life Orb is still a great option that gives Gyarados plenty of power, while Sharp Beak boosts Max Airstream.

This Gyarados in particular needs support against Electric-type attacks, so Ground-types such as Excadrill (notable for using Mold Breaker to OHKO Rotom formes), Mamoswine, and Hippowdon are good choices, especially since all three are capable of setting up Stealth Rock. Grass-types such as Rillaboom and Ferrothorn are also notable for resisitng Rotom-W's Hydro Pump. Paralysis support is also helpful for giving Gyarados more chances to activate Moxie. Ferrothorn and Rotom-H are particularly good choices for this, but a riskier option in Cramorant can also be used as a more disruptive alternative. Grimmsnarl is also a fantastic user of Thunder Wave thanks to access to Prankster, just note that it can't paralyze Dark-types such as Hydreigon.

Last edited:

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
In the second sentence of the first set it sounds like you're referring to Excadrill as a Grass-type, I'm not sure if that's supposed to be a different Pokemon or just awkward wording.

In my experience though most Gyarados have been Moxie so far, so I don't know if we should recommend Intimidate as the preferred since both seem equally valid. Also Lum Berry has been a solid pick to shrug off stray status moves, if not slashed I think it's worth mentioning real quick.

I am less sure we need a second set for an all-out attacker though since both sets mostly do the same thing, I find that setting DD isn't always ideal even on those sets so in those situations it ends up playing the same as an all-out attacker. Maybe wait to see what other people think before doing anything else with the second set though. QC 1/2

EDIT:
In a little more testing I think I'm fine with two sets after all, just that I think DD needs to be Intimidate and 4 Attacks should be Moxie.

Last edited:
Agree with Ika that Wacan is worth considering, on DD. During dyna volt from scarf rotom-a against wacan gyara does ~35%, it can force them into bad positions when they end up switching out into something they don't want in against a boosted gyara.

I think having two sets is fine. AOA's ability to utilise CB, focusing on Moxie and having a few different attack options (pwhip+eq as a duo, crunch) separate it enough for me.
Echoing Psynergy, was the Excadrill mentioned in that line on set1 supposed to be Ferrothorn?
Other than that, it's good so QC2/2 with the exca wording sorted and wacan added (if you agree it's worth mentioning)

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I implemented all the checks! Honestly I have no idea why Excadrill was mentioned there, that was totally supposed to be Ferrothorn rofl. Also, I can't beleive I forgot about Wacan Berry, I made that the first slash since most DDers seem to have that on cart, and LO is often taken up by Mimikyu anyways.

Anyways, this is ready for grammar checks now!

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
remove additions (comments)

[SET]
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Bounce / Ice Fang
move 4: Earthquake / Power Whip
item: Wacan Berry / Life Orb / Mystic Water
ability: Intimidate

[SET COMMENTS]
This Gyarados focuses on sweeping, with Dragon Dance allowing it to outspeed even fast foes such as Dragapult. With Bounce, Gyarados makes an extremely effective user of Dynamax, being able to boost its Speed with Max Airstream and hit Grass-types such as Rillaboom and Ferrothorn hard. Earthquake gives Gyarados a way to hit Toxapex, (remove comma) and make itself even bulkier while under once Dynamaxed thanks to Max Quake's Special Defense boost. (maybe a subjective change, I hesitated over this for a while bc I thought it should express that the boosts persist not just under Dynamax but afterwards as well. If you don't like these changes, feel free to ignore.) Ice Fang can be used as a more reliable way to hit Grass-types and Dragon-types while not Dynamaxed, and the hail provided by Max Hailstorm brings can be useful for getting rid of Focus Sashes from the likes of Dragapult. Power Whip is also an option for hitting Rotom-W and other bulky Water-types fairly hard, at the cost of having no coverage for Toxapex.

Wacan Berry is an excellent item for Gyarados, allowing it to Dynamax and take less than 50% damage from Choice Scarf Rotom forme's Rotom-A's Thunderbolt, ensuring they won't stop your sweep. (I believe Rotom-A is the preference for when you're discussing "any" forme and it sounds a bit nicer here) Life Orb is the best choice for giving Gyarados the extra power to sweep, but if it's already in use by another team memeber, type boosting items such as Mystic Water can still allow Gyarados to sweep late-game(add hyphen). Lum Berry is also an option, guarding Gyarados once from status moves once which would otherwise stop a sweep. Intimidate is usually preferred to help Gyarados set up, and it can potentially stop sweeps from powerful physical attackers in a pinch. However, Moxie gives Gyarados new sweeping opperunities opportunities, especially when paired with Max Airstream while Dynamaxed, giving Gyarados the same boosts Dragon Dance would without the need to spend a turn setting up.

Even with Power Whip, Choice Scarf Rotom-W is a primary revenge killer of Gyarados, and attackers that use Electric-type attacks in general such as Rotom-H and Duraludon can prevent Gyarados from setting up effectively, so having Ground-types as teammates is highly reccomended recommended. Excadrill and Mamoswine are fantastic offensive choices, and Hippowdon is also a good defensive choice that can set up Stealth Rock to get rid of Focus Sashes that stop Gyarados's sweep. Grass-types such as Rillaboom and Ferrothorn are also good choices for resisting Rotom-W's Hydro Pump, in case they aren't Choiced or Dynamaxed.

[SET]
name: All-out Attacker
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Bounce
move 3: Power Whip
move 4: Earthquake / Crunch / Ice Fang
item: Choice Band / Sharp Beak / Life Orb
ability: Moxie

[SET COMMENTS]
This Gyarados set takes full advantage of Dynamax and Moxie to attempt a sweep without using a turn to set up, while also giving Gyarados it good early-game(add hyphen) power. Waterfall is a great move to throw out without Dynamaxing, but Bounce should usually only be used when attempting to sweep with Gyarados after a Dynamax or to stall out opposing Dynamax, since the extra turn it takes to use otherwise can otherwise be taken advantage of. Power Whip is provides great coverage for bulky Water-types such as Rotom-W and Quagsire, two Pokemon that would otherwise give Gyarados problems. Earthquake provides useful coverage is a useful option for Toxapex and Duraludon, Crunch hits Dragapult the hardest, and Ice Fang gives good back up coverage against Rillaboom and Dragapult when not Dynamaxed, in additon to summoning Hail while Dynamaxed to get rid of Focus Sashes. (Because Power Whip is listed as a consistent move and Earthquake is a slashed option on slot 4, I wanted to make these sentences reflect that Power Whip is considered more important, which I think the wording made ambiguous before.) Choice Band is the preferred item, giving Gyarados plenty of power without setting up, which is key for early game usage and getting a Moxie boost before Dynamaxing. (I think this sentence is okay w/o the mention of "early-game usage" but if you wanna keep it in remember to add the hyphen.) However, if Choice Band is already used up, or your team needs to switch moves after the Dynamax, Life Orb is still a great option that gives Gyarados plenty of power, while Sharp Beak boosts Max Airstream.

This Gyarados in particular needs support against Electric-type attacks, so Ground-types such as Excadrill (notable for using Mold Breaker to OHKO Rotom formes), Mamoswine, and Hippowdon are good choices, especially since all 3 three are capable of setting up Stealth Rock. Grass-types such as Rillaboom and Ferrothorn are also notable for resisitng Rotom-W's Hydro Pump. Paralysis support is also helpful for giving Gyarados more chances to set up activate Moxie. Ferrothorn and Rotom-H are particularly good choices for this, but a riskier option in Cramorant can also be used as a more disruptive alternative. Grimmsnarl is also a fantastic user of Thunder Wave thanks to access to Prankster, just note that it can't paralyze Dark-types such as Hydreigon.

Made a couple comments about more subjective changes that I recommended but don't think are necessary, so feel free to use or ignore those as you see fit. Good work! GP 1/1.

contrib_gp.png

Last edited:

Theorymon

Thanks Mafeking, finally had a chance to implement your checks!

Psynergy if you want you can upload this, go ahead and do that now! Otherwise, I'm gonna leave it sitting for a day in that case to give you a chance to make the "last QC check" during upload so to speak :P

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Somehow I didn't catch the tag for this (or maybe I just missed it), almost a week late but Gyarados has been uploaded!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)