Hail Discussion Thread- UU Edition

(I missed the already existing thread on hail, delete if needs be mods)

Now that hail is finally separated from the main culprits behind the success of rain and sand, it can finally flourish. This thread is for the discussion of Hail, it's place in the metagame, and the Pokemon that can make use of it. After looking through the usage stats, a few key players stood out to me at the higher end of the list;

HP: 90 Att: 92 Def: 75 SpAtt: 92 SpDef: 85 Spe: 60

An integral part of any hail team, Abomasnow brings permanent hail. With moderate bulk and decent offensive prowess to boot, Abomasnow can function in a variety of roles.

HP: 125 Att: 130 Def: 90 SpAtt: 130 SpDef: 90 Spe: 95
It wouldn't be a discussion about UU without mentioning Kyurem, a Pokemon especially at home in hail. Whether it's abusing STAB Blizzard coming off of it's monstrous Special Attack stat, or stalling with it's impressive bulk and the latent damage provided by the weather.

HP: 110 Att: 130 Def: 80 SpAtt: 70 SpDef: 60 Spe: 80
A powerful physical attacker with moderate speed to boot, Mamoswine can act as a great member of a hail team with it's immunity to hail damage and boosted evasion from Snow Cloak. It can also make use of STAB blizzard if you wanted to go mixed, and pairs well with it's primary Ground typing.

HP: 70 Att: 80 Def: 70 SpAtt: 80 SpDef: 70 Spe: 110
A staple of hail teams in the last generation, Froslass is once again an effective member of a hail team with its ability to both lay down spikes and block rapid spin, amongst other uses like taunting and paralysing the opponent, or firing off (You guessed it) STAB Blizzards.

HP: 110 Att: 80 Def: 90 SpAtt: 95 SpDef: 90 Spe: 65
The venerable face of hail stall in the fourth generation, Walrein returns as potent as ever in the new generation. A combination of it's excellent bulk, Ice Body, Substitute and Protect makes Walrein a true nightmare to overcome without a super effective STAB attack in your arsenal.

So, what do think of hail and it's place in fifth generation UU? Do you think it will become the dominant weather in the metagame, or will it be overshadowed by other weather types despite their reliance on pre-evolutions? Will aggressive teams be the way to go, or will stalling be the order of the day?

I would definitely mention Walrein in the list as he was the primary abuser in 4th gen.

I think that what makes Hail a lesser weather condition is that it provides no boosts whatsoever except for 100% accurate Blizzard. I mean, yes hitting 120 base power Ice attacks without fail is amazing, but Hail itself doesn't provide support, unlike Sandstorm which boosts special defenses.

If Hail plays a major role in the UU metagame, I think it will be as a stalling team, sort of like it was last generation.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
There is already a hail discussion thread here in the UU forums, it's just on the second page...

I would definitely mention Walrein in the list as he was the primary abuser in 4th gen.

I think that what makes Hail a lesser weather condition is that it provides no boosts whatsoever except for 100% accurate Blizzard. I mean, yes hitting 120 base power Ice attacks without fail is amazing, but Hail itself doesn't provide support, unlike Sandstorm which boosts special defenses.

If Hail plays a major role in the UU metagame, I think it will be as a stalling team, sort of like it was last generation.
Will do, I thought I was missing something big from last gen =P

There is already a hail discussion thread here in the UU forums, it's just on the second page...
Apologies, I checked through the second page but obviously looked over it. Mods are free to lock this if they deem appropriate.

What about the much-hyped Rotom-F with STAB blizzardbeam?

Edit: Boltblizzard....

Edit 2: also mention non-ice types that synergize well or help hail's weaknesses, like the Nidos (queen is for hazard support, king to abuse blizzard better), hitmontop for spinning and a good fighting type, the new ice-body regice, and maybe some fire type like Victini or Arcanine?

What about the much-hyped Rotom-F with STAB blizzardbeam?

Edit: Boltblizzard....

Edit 2: also mention non-ice types that synergize well or help hail's weaknesses, like the Nidos (queen is for hazard support, king to abuse blizzard better), hitmontop for spinning and a good fighting type, the new ice-body regice, and maybe some fire type like Victini or Arcanine?
A few Pokémon that can add some diversity to a Hail team without stacking Ice-types would be: Sigilyph, Mandibuzz, and the all-too-forgotten Clefable, who have abilities that negate Hail damage. Unfortunately, Ice Body Regice isn't released, either. I suggest in the future posters re-direct to the original Hail discussion thread, too(I can't believe this hasn't been locked yet).

Couldn't Vanilluxe be mentioned as a canidate in a hail stall team as it has recovery in ice body and a blizzard with 110 special attack it that's higher than all the other members. Vanilluxe's stats are not to shabby at 71 / 95 / 85 / 110 / 95 / 79 which give it decent bulk. Also Mysterious Trainer has a point that sigilyph, mandibuzz, and clefable could work on this team.

HP: 125 Att: 130 Def: 90 SpAtt: 130 SpDef: 90 Spe: 95
It wouldn't be a discussion about UU without mentioning Kyurem, a Pokemon especially at home in hail. Whether it's abusing STAB Blizzard coming off of it's monstrous Special Attack stat, or stalling with it's impressive bulk and the latent damage provided by the weather.

PLEASE BAN TO BL

I apologize for the bump, but has anyone found Glaceon to be of use in a role similar to Stallrein? It has access to SubProtect + Ice Body, and it trades Electric and Grass weaknesses for Fire and Steel. Oh, it is also capable of hitting pretty hard with even uninvested Blizzard.

They both have the fighting+rock, so that's a moot point. Surf is more useful for the steels that resist Toxic, though.

I apologize for the bump, but has anyone found Glaceon to be of use in a role similar to Stallrein? It has access to SubProtect + Ice Body, and it trades Electric and Grass weaknesses for Fire and Steel. Oh, it is also capable of hitting pretty hard with even uninvested Blizzard.
Similar, but inferior in terms of bulk and typing. I guess if you really need that more powerful Blizzard or a staller that isn't weak to Electric-type moves, but still.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)