Monotype Help with Rock Mono (Peak ~17xx)

Introduction

Welcome to my new Rate My Maou’s Team. Most credit for the team rather goes to him than me since he enjoys teambuilding more and I tend to just toss in the ideas of things I want to have but he said he’s to lazy to post our teams so I shall do it.
Rock is one of my favourite types to play on mono ladder and I’ve found some success with this team (peak ~17xx) but considering all the weaknesses rock has, many games remain difficult. I’m posting here to hopefully get some new input in how to improve the team and ease at least some of the matchups.

Teambuilding Process
In a nutshell, the conclusion we reached is that rock needs at least 7 mons to comfortably go into most matchups but since that doesn’t work, let's try our best with what’s available.

Although sand is usually more associated with ground teams, rock heavily profits as well. As sandsetter, tyrannitar was the first pick of the team, additionally sporting a great movepool, good atk and great defences.

Considering all of rock’s weaknesses, most of the team is dedicated to patch them up. Mega-Diancie is the chosen answer to fighting types, also successfully threating dragon, dark and poison teams.

The next glaring weakness are steel types. Magnet-pull golem is crucial to eliminate key threats such as celesteela, excadrill, ferrothorn and scizor.

The list of weaknesses continues with water and storm drain cradily is the perfect answer to many water sweepers, especially mega-swmapert which otherwise may tear the team apart.

Depending on the movepool, nihiliego can check many different things. Here it functions as the only special STAB rock attacker, threatenin several flying types. Sludgewave as secondary STAB allows to eliminate many fairies and grass types including the dangerous Tapu Bulu.

While steel is a pretty hopeless matchup, fighting coverage at least gives a slight chance to score a few wins. Furthermore, terrakion is essential in beating normal teams and rock mirrors.

The lack of speed to effectively sweep types such as fighting and the inability to deal with certain setup mons such as kommo-o led to the inclusion of webs shuckle. Although I thought of all my teammates as essential, one had to be removed and the choice fell on cradily. Nihiliego received grass knot and tbolt to better deal with water and ground types.

The Team

big boi (Tyranitar)
@ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream

EVs: 248 HP / 122 Atk / 136 SpD / 4 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Pursuit

- Avalanche

- Fire Blast

- Stone Edge​

Tyrranitar functions as sand setter and special wall of the team. By running pursuit and stone edge, it is capable of heavily punishing many defoggers such as latios, zapdos and mantine. Max hp and 136 sp.def EVs allow to survive 1 focus blast from LO landorus or Charizard y after stealth rock and hit back with either avalanche or stone edge. Fireblast punishes ferrothorn as well as the occasional greedy steel player. 4 speed EVs allow to outspeed neutral celesteela.

the beautiful one (Diancie-Mega)
@ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Naive Nature

- Diamond Storm

- Earth Power

- Moonblast

- Psychic​

The diancie set is pretty straight forward. Moonblast in combination with earth power OHKOs everything on fighting after sashes are broken. Diamond storm functions as secondary STAB and has the nice side effect of boosting defense, making it possible to simply stay in against certain switch ins if a lucky boost occurred as well as to not be completely walled by chansey. Psychic was chosen over hp fire to ease the poison and grass match ups, giving an extra move to wear down venusaur.

OH BABY (Golem-Alola)
@ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull

EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Fire Punch

- Earthquake

- Thunder Punch

- Stealth Rock​

A-golem is probably one of the most crucial members of any rock team. Magnet pull allows to trap and in many cases eliminate pesky steel types, running both earthquake and fire punch to successfully eliminate ferrothorn (grass), scizor (bug), cobalion (fighting), heatran and klefki (fairy). With 132 speed EVs golem is able to outspeed and kill neutral celesteelas. Air balloon allows to trap and eliminate excadrill. A jolly firium-z might be more favourable to outspeed and OHKO m-scizor before it u-turns out but I’d have to test that first.

jellyfish jelly (Nihilego)
@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Power Gem

- Sludge Wave

- Grass Knot

- Thunderbolt​

Nihilego functions as scarfer and cleaner of the team. Once ferrothorn is eliminated, nihilego can run through grass almost by itself. The scarf is necessary to outspeed scarf bulu as well as dangerous set up sweepers such as Charizard X. If webs are up, it also successfully eliminates threats such as m-swampert. Initially, I was running dazzling gleam for an easy time against dragon and fighting but after the removal of cradily, nihilego had to take over several of its roles. Grass knot can also take out weakened hippowdon/seismitoad and 2HKO gastrodon while surviving 1 earth power from it.

goof ball (Terrakion)
@ Rockium Z
Ability: Justified

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Substitute

- Close Combat

- Stone Edge

- Taunt​

At this point, the normal matchup was still a nightmare and terrakion’s fighting STAB is exactly what it takes to break through it. Furthermore, close combat can break through mons such as empoleon or heatran which otherwise may severely threaten the team. We opted against a scarf set, to give terrakion more versatility. Z-stone edge can score Kos which might otherwise not be possible (and will actually hit the opponent which is an otherwise constant struggle with rock moves). Taunt allows to pressure and force out more defensive pokemon such as toxapex, mandibuzz and porygon2. Although originally running earthquake, substitute was chosen for a better matchup against ditto. Since sticky webs do not apply to it, facing an opposing scarf terrakion is one of the worst things that can happen as rock has almost no viable checks for scarfed close combat.

Playdoh (Shuckle)
@ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

Impish Nature

- Sticky Web

- Encore

- Toxic

- Knock Off​

Shuckle provides the essential sticky webs to win vs fighting and ease many other match ups such as bug, steel, water and psychic. With cradily being removed, I needed at least one toxic user and shuckle was the best choice for it, allowing to wear down pokemon such as rotom-w and slowbro. Encore punishes greedy set up mons or traps others in overall unfavourable attacks, forcing a switch. Knock off prevents shuckle from being full taunt bait and removes dangerous items such as eviolites or dittos scarf. Mental herb allows to at least set webs or strike back with encore against taunt leads such as deoxys-s, aerodactyl and cobalion.

Key Threats

M-Scizor

Scizor is probably the most dangerous pokemon for any rock team as +2 bullet punch OHKOs pretty much anything rock may can come up with. While the banded scizor often seen on bug teams is not too much of a problem as it can be trapped by golem, m-scizor may bail out with uturn if webs aren’t laid out yet. Furthermore, my current golem set cannot OHKO any remotely defensive scizor set, relying on additional chip damage.

Ditto

Previously, if ditto managed to copy terrakion, the game was basically over as it outsped and killed any of my mons with a single hit. After switching to substitute as well as adding knock off shuckle, I have at least two potential answers, although both are certainly not optimal.

Azumarill

If Azu gets the chance to click belly drum, the game is basically decided. It is important not to set webs vs fairy so that golem and ttar stay slower and can OHKO azu on its set up turn after the belly drum. On the other hand, terrakion and nihilego can OHKO it while being faster if it attempts to set up vs them.

Rain sweepers

Without sticky webs or if nihilego falls, rain teams may simply sweep the whole rock team. This applies especially to m-swampert but also kingdra and priority attackers such as crawdaunt.

Conclusion

Thanks to those who read this far! If you have any suggestions on how to have an easier time in certain matchups without compromising any others, I would greatly appreciate that. While the steel matchup is the most difficult one, I think it is ok to not focus on it too much and instead just be as successful as possible against other types. Nonetheless, if you have additional ideas on how to annoy steel, that would be nice as well.
big boi (Tyranitar) @ Assault Vest

EVs: 248 HP / 122 Atk / 136 SpD / 4 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Pursuit

- Avalanche

- Fire Blast

- Stone Edge

the beautiful one (Diancie-Mega) @ Diancite

Naive Nature

- Diamond Storm

- Earth Power

- Moonblast

- Psychic

OH BABY (Golem-Alola) @ Air Balloon

EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Fire Punch

- Earthquake

- Thunder Punch

- Stealth Rock

jellyfish jelly (Nihilego) @ Choice Scarf

Timid Nature

- Power Gem

- Sludge Wave

- Grass Knot

- Thunderbolt

goof ball (Terrakion) @ Rockium Z

Jolly Nature

- Substitute

- Close Combat

- Stone Edge

- Taunt

Playdoh (Shuckle) @ Mental Herb

Impish Nature

- Sticky Web

- Encore

- Toxic

- Knock Off

Reactions: Lu
Hi Saezu , I see you've reached the 1700 with this team! Nice to see people laddering with lesser used types. Your team could use improvements though however!

First off, I would add Cradily, your team could use a Water immunity to freely switch into Water type attacks as Water is one of the most used types on the ladder and one of the hardest MU's for Rock. Cradily is also a great Azumarill check as it can outspeed with very little investment assuming webs are up and get rid of Belly Drum Azumarill. Cradily will also get a boosted Giga Drain after it takes a water attack punishing any switch in vs Water. Cradily also has great utility in Toxic can put a timer on any switch ins. Cradily can also utilize Mirror Coat which deals double the damage back to Special Attackers. Max HP along with near Max Defense along with a Bold nature allows you to take Physical attacks better. With Sand up, Cradily will also get a natural +1 SpD boost.

Secondly, Alolan Golem should run a Choice Band over Air Balloon so it can trap and OHKO Mega Scizor with Fire Punch and OHKO Celesteela after rocks with Wild Charge, it also picks up the OHKO on Ferrothorn as well with Fire Punch and do significantly more damage to other threats you trap. Running Wild Charge is better than Thunder Punch based off base power alone, and Stone Edge is necessary Rock STAB and should be ran so it can OHKO Bulky Variants of Volcarona and can outspeed and OHKO Armaldo as it tries to Rapid Spin away your entry hazards. Your current Alolan Golem spread allows it to get out-sped by many Pokemon it should trap and get rid of such as Skarmory, faster variants of Celesteela which has been a recent trend on Steel HO, Bulky Variants of Scizor speed creeping 200 speed, and others. Alolan Golem should be ran with Max Speed and Max Attack with a Jolly nature, to be as strong as fast as possible.

Additionally, I feel as if Hidden Power Fire provides more for your team on Mega Diancie over Psychic as it can clean up certain Pokemon on Steel such as Ferrothorn , Skarmory , Celesteela and can even hit Mega Scizor upon switch-in.

Stealth Rock should be ran in place of Toxic on Shuckle as it is a great rocks setter for Offensive Rock, and already holds one form of entry hazards in Sticky Web. Shuckle's role on Rock is to get up entry hazards to support the rest of the team so this is ideal.

Since you're choosing to run Assault Vest Tyranitar, Assault Vest Tyranitar should be ran with a full Max HP and Max SpD with a Sassy nature, so it can sponge special hits to its full potential. Having Crunch over Avalanche gives you a far better advantage vs the Psychic MU, and is a very spammable attack vs other types. I can see why you chose to run Avalanche as it surprises Landorus , Gliscor , and Garchomp. However even then Ice Beam would be your choice of move there.

Lastly, Choice Scarf Terrakion is a better option than Choice Scarf Nihilego due to Terrakion's more powerful STAB moves and better Speed tier. Being able to speed tie with Choice Scarf Keldeo, and Choice Scarf Infernape which can rip through Rock is valuable. It can also revenge kill Mega Lopunny and make the Normal MU significantly easier, as well as out-speeding and revenge killing +1 Mega Sharpedo which Choice Scarf Nihilego cannot do. Also with Choice scarf you also outspeed opposing Scarf Ditto and cannot get revenge killed by it since Sticky Webs are up.

Those were a lot of major changes although I hope my input was helpful , good luck with the team!

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Golem-Alola @ Choice Band
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Impish Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Knock Off

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Toxic
- Mirror Coat

Edit : If Mega Venusaur and Toxapex become a huge issue consider using this Choice Band Tyranitar set over Assault Vest as it has better wall breaking potential. Banded Stone Edge guaranteed 2HKO's both of them after rocks

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Punch / Earthquake
- Pursuit

Last edited:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Hi Saezu. Interesting team, I just have a suggestion on another possible way to run the team.

There is another way to run Nihilego. Since Splashbrutha changed Terrakion to Choice Scarf Nihilego is free to run better sets. One of these would be 4 Attacks with Expert Belt or a Life Orb. Instead of Cradily, this will allow you to nail the Water-type Pokemon found outside Water teams, without devoting an entire team slot to Cradily, which drains momentum for an offensive team. Cradily is good but not worth throwing away many matchups so facing. Even with Cradily Water still has a great matchup against the team.

Nihilego @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The reason I chose Expert Belt is so Nihilego would not wear itself down too quickly, but still, have boosted power behind its supereffective attacks. Sludge Wave is a fairly easy choice; it nails big threats to the team being Azumarill, Tapu Bulu, and Tapu Koko while also being its most powerful neutral attack. Grass Knot mainly allows Nihilego to hit Ground and Water-types such as Hippowdon, (Mega) Swampert, Gastrodon, and Seismitoad for sizeable damage, while Thunderbolt nails threats such as Mantine and Celesteela. Finally, HP Ice allows Nihilego to do more damage to Ground teams being able to threaten Garchomp, Gliscor, and Landorus. In tandem with Grass Knot and HP Ice Nihilego can hit all Ground-type Pokemon for supereffective damage bar Excadrill and Mega Steelix.

Overall by doing this, it can be an offensive way to check Water- and Ground-types. This is just another option over Cradily in case you wanted to keep your team fully Hyper Offensive.

edit: also ur tyranitars ev spread was fine

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice at both of you! I will try some of the things both of you suggested although I am more in favor of maroon's tips which allow me to keep nihilego. I'll probably try the jolly golem too. Splashbrutha's changes were a few too many for my taste, especially since it was just the sample team and I'd rather have at least 1 or 2 surprises on my team.

Regarding ditto, it should be noted that it is immune to webs as the speed drop applies before impostering and is then removed. Hence scarf terra only raises my chances to a 50/50 speed tie.

A remaining question is how to reliably eliminate sand rush exca since it could just flee from terrakion and kill everything else?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)