VGC Help with team composition

Hey guys, I've been trying to set up a balanced team for VCG while using my 2nd-fav Pokemon: Umbreon, and I was hoping if you guys would please help me with this

So right now I've come to this:

Umbreon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp.Def
Nature: Impish
Ability: Synchronize
Moveset:
- Wish
- Yawn
- Foul Play
- Protect

Description: The idea is to be able to take hits while inducing sleep status on the main hazard. It can also OHKO Atk boosters with Foul Play and it's very surprising sometimes. Still, I would love to have Reflect or Light Screen with this Pokemon, that'd be really OP.

Tyranitar @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Def
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Sand Stream
Moveset:
- Crunch
- Stone edge
- Earthquake
- Fire fang

Description: This one's Umbreon best partner. I always throw him with Umbreon for the damage output. It's really good to face the Indeedee+Hattarene combo, Dragapults, etc. But it struggles against Duraludon. I don't take fully advantage from Sandstorm, since I have not Sand Rush Pokemon in my team, so it's mainly for the Sp.Def bonus and hitting those Focus Sash Whimsicotts after a Fire Fang. Fire Fang also covers Ferrothorn and it's a not-so-common move to see, it usually caughts my oponents off guard. I still think there's lot of room for improvement, since I don't really see a special synergy with Umbreon. This is the Pokemon I usually dynamax.

Lucario @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Justified
Moveset:
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

Description: I just love Lucario, it's not so bulky nor the fastest, but it delivers nice Close Combat-OHKO to some steel or dark Pokemon, and gives me type coverage for Fairies (I had a lot of issues with them). Once again, I think a lot of space for improvement with this one, since I don't really see the synergy with Umbreon either. Well at least it doesn't get damaged with the sandstorm. Still, the fairy coverage it's pretty good.

Dracovish @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Ability: Strong Jaw
Moveset:
- Fishious Rend
- Crunch
- Psychic Fang
- Ice Fang

Description: I think this one is pretty standart. What I don't like about it it's that I don't have Tailwind in my team so I'm stuck with Choice Scarf on this one. I think I could replace it with Hydreigon. But that would just increase my Fighting Weakness, which is evident by now with so many Dark Pokemon. Also there are lots of Gastrodons and not a good amount of grass moves.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Speed
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
Moveset:
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball

Description: I think the hardest to take advantage is this one. I'm not really sure what to do with it. I've been thinking in Sitrus Berry 252 HP/ 252 Def build, giving him Reflect and Light Screen instead of Volt Switch and Shadow Ball. To make me tankier, it's really good with Tyranitar in that matter. I really want it in my team, but I just don't know how to get the most value out of it.

Dragapult @ Choice Band
EVs 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Ability: Infiltrator
Moveset:
- Phantom strike
- Dragon darts
- Steel Wing
- U-Turn

Description: Yet another physical attacker. It adds no more coverage than I have, but I don't know if it's better to have this one or Lucario for that matter. Also it's the only Ghost type that I can change into if I can read a fighting (which is a main hazard of my team) move. I think this pokemon is great but it's not awesome, I don't know, his moveset can't convince me.

Overall weakness: Gastrodon, Duraludon, Fairy types.

Other Pokemon I've considered:

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Ability: Disguise
Moveset:
- Wood Hammer
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Substitute/Protect

Description: I'm currently thinking in changing my Dracovish with this one. Yet another Ghost type to change into a read fighting move, and Disguise it's an awesome ability to have. I just like the concept of this Pokemon. I'd add it with Wood Hammer to get rid of all those annoying Gastrodons out there. But still, would be maybe a wasted move.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Speed
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
Moveset:
- Dark Pulse
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Focus Blast

Description: I also like the concept of Hydreigon. I've considered to add it instead of maybe Dragapult. The "pros" with this one is the Sp.Atk coverage (since my team is mainly physical) and it's speed. The "cons" is the type coverage (which i don't really need with my other pokemon) and yet another fighting and fairy weakness pokemon.
and my all-time favorite:

Scrafty @ Sitrus Berry/Chople Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Nature: Impish
Ability: Shed Skin/Intimidate
Moveset:
- Drain Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

Description: I just love Scrafty, he's my all-time favorite pokemon, but it doesn't convince me competively speaking. He's pretty tanky but enhances my weakness to Fighting. Yes, he may be thought as a defensive-attacker, but that role may be covered with Tyranitar, which I think "plays" better in the current meta. The only thing I think Scrafty has that none other in my current team is the Intimidate Ability, but still it's very situational and only good against Atk teams. And maybe Arcanine is better

Could you please help me with this team? I'd really love to see Umbreon a little more. But I think I lack the synergy, and Yawn isn't the best move I've seen. Actually, maybe even Sleep Powder is better, idk. I love the bulky-atker nature of Tyranitar with the team, but I also struggle with Rhyperior in that matter that's why I think offensive rotom is better in my case

Thank you in advance! :)

Last edited:
I do have a few suggestions:
First, I would change your Mimikyu's moveset to Shadow Claw, Shadow Sneak, Play Rough, and swords dance. I use this on mine to make it easy to set up without being hit too badly, sometimes I can pull of two swords dances before being hit. After even one, Mimikyu hits like a truck, and if you give it 252 speed EVs as well as attack, there aren't a lot of steel types that can thwart you, and your only problem is a fast ghost type.

Scrafty could make do with fake out I think, but your current moveset works. Taunt would come in handy with Scrafty to prevent him from taking a lot of damage.

As for Umbreon, I think that the moveset works. Umbreon isn't one of the top competitive Pokemon, but it definitely isn't bad. It's really tanky, and it can be good, especially with wish. I would swap foul play with a powerful psychic move like psychic, since your biggest threat will be fighting types, as not many bugs are used in competitive formats like VCG.

Hope this helps, I'd love to battle you on Showdown! (A8 the gr8 is my user)

TTar gets Fire Punch so Fang is obsolete. What's w/ 4HP/252 Def. It should be the opposite, as 252 HP is better for virtually all mons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)