Gen 1 Hero in a Half Shell, Turtle Power! (OU)

:rg/blastoise:
Blastoise
- Surf
- Blizzard
- Counter
- Body Slam

This team starts with what is admittedly a pretty unusual pick for RBY OU. Blastoise packs solid stats, notably outspeeding Cloyster along with having the ability to easily pressure it with Body Slam. Its Defense alongsite Counter means Tauros is in for a pretty nasty surprise if it attempts to Body Slam the big tortoise. Blastoise takes little from Blizzard and is only 5HKO'd by Tauro's Earthquake. Tauros also takes decent damage from Surf. Compared to Poliwrath, Blastoise takes Thunderbolts and especially Psychics betters and doesn't speed tie Cloyster.

:rg/starmie:
Starmie
EVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

Of course, Blastoise is pretty difficult to justify compared to Starmie, so I decided to use both. Starmie is the lead for the team. Blastoise takes some of the pressure off choosing a moveset for Starmie by already carrying a water STAB. Thunderbolt/Blizzard covers both Starmie and Exeggutor while doing acceptable damage to Rhydon.

:rg/exeggutor:
Exeggutor
- Double-Edge
- Psychic
- Explosion
- Sleep Powder

Running two Water pokemon obviously comes with a big weakness to Thunderbolt and Exeggutor is on the team to mitigate that weakness. A Psychic resistance and sleep gives it a decent edge against its Ground counterparts. I could honestly replace Exeggutor with Rhydon or Golem, as Exeggutor can struggle against dedicated Electric-types such as Jolteon and Zapdos.

:rg/tauros:
Tauros
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Blizzard
- Hyper Beam

Obligatory Tauros is obligatory. Moving on.

:rb/chansey:
Chansey
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
- Defense Curl
- Softboiled

Pretty standard Seismic Toss set. I had decided to run Defense Curl on this chansey because the team already has a Sleeper and a Counter user. Defense Curl can extend its longevity against Lax better than Reflect and possibly stall out Body Slam PP.

:rb/snorlax:
Snorlax
-Body Slam
-Earthquake
-Reflect
-Rest

Standard physical Snorlax. I don't remember why I didn't choose to run Harden over Reflect on this one. Anyway, it's a Big 3, so I shouldn't have to go super in depth on this one.

Sabelette

from the river to the sea
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Some thoughts:

1. EQ Lax was probably a good choice with how hard Gengar crushes both your Water-types. I think Psychic on lead Mie to help not get obliterated by Gengars making funny predicts seems helpful.
2. You badly need more paralysis options if you're going to lead Starmie; it will almost certainly get slept in most games, leaving you with nothing but a (really bad) Chansey to try to spread para.
3. Your team is horrifically weak to Zapdos. Like, I cannot overstate enough how hard Zapdos 6-0's this, especially with no Stun Spore on Eggy to even try to paralyze + boom it.
4. Coming back to the Chansey set - Defense Curl does not "extend your longevity" versus Snorlax. You can't possibly switch into it if you use Dcurl, and paralysis means this Chansey is worthless against literally anything. It's also just not needed with Reflect Lax already on the team - it would be better to have some form of offense to help with Zapdos. You can run BoltBeam if you want, I think Toss is also valid to help with opposing lead Jynx and Psychics in general, and your Eggy should already stop SurfBolt Starmie.

With that here's some suggestions without removing the Blastoise (which is the obvious fix). Changes bolded. Ultimately though I think Toise is just too much of a drag down for this team since once the Mie gets slept you have a bad Water + 4 vs 5-6 good Pokemon on the opposing side.

:rg/blastoise:
Blastoise
- Surf
- Blizzard
- Counter
- Body Slam

:rg/starmie:
Starmie
- Blizzard
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

:rg/exeggutor:
Exeggutor
- Stun Spore
- Psychic
- Explosion
- Sleep Powder

:rg/tauros:
Tauros
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Blizzard
- Hyper Beam

:rb/chansey:
Chansey
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt / Seismic Toss
- Softboiled

:rb/snorlax:
Snorlax
-Body Slam
-Earthquake
-Reflect
-Rest

In my opinion, you need to replace Eggy with Rhydon/Golem and change Chanseys set to Sing Chansey as this team gets mauled by Zapdos so unbelievably hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)