move 2: Yawn
move 3: Whirlwind / Slack Off
move 4: Stealth Rock
item: Figy Berry / Sitrus Berry / Mental Herb
ability: Sand Stream
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Hippowdon is a great Stealth Rock setter, status spreader and physical wall, able to take on Mimikyu, physical Dragapult, and Excadrill well due to its natural bulk. Earthquake is Hippowdon's STAB move, hitting Pokemon such as Excadrill and Tyranitar hard. Yawn forces switches from opposing Pokemon and spreads chip damage on the opposing team with Stealth Rock and sand. Whirlwind has a similar function to Yawn, except it also prevents opposing Substitute and is preferred when Misty Terrain is in play. Keep in mind, though, that Whirlwind does not work against Dynamaxed Pokemon. Slack Off gives Hippowdon defensive longevity against physical attackers and allows it to be a continued menace throughout a battle. The last move is generally Stealth Rock, which breaks Focus Sashes and does significant damage to Pokemon such as Galarian Darmanitan, Gyarados, and Togekiss. Rock Tomb is another option that can hit Ground-immune Pokemon and is a form of speed control.

Maximum HP and Defense investment with an Impish nature gives Hippowdon the most possible bulk versus physical attackers. Sitrus Berry and Figy Berry can be used for more longevity so that Hippowdon can take multiple hits. Mental Herb is also a commonly used item on Hippowdon that allows it to use Yawn or Whirlwind in front of Taunt users. Alternatively, Hippowdon can run Smooth Rock on sand teams or Rocky Helmet with Slack Off. Hippowdon works well with powerful setup sweepers like Gyarados and Excadrill behind it. Fire-types like Rotom-H, Arcanine, and Charizard can also work well, since they take advantage of Corviknight, which might otherwise invalidate this set with Taunt.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Ika Ika Musume, 165529]]
- Quality checked by: [[Psynergy, 248085], [Theorymon, 29010]]
- Grammar checked by: [[A Cake Wearing A Hat, 388157]]

Last edited by a moderator:

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Personally I'm not sure if we need to slash both Sitrus and Figy what with the latter being nerfed, but I've got no issues with it being mentioned in the set. Just a nitpick to make the slashes on the set look less cluttered.

Also probably should mention Whirlwind somewhere, though make sure to note it doesn't work against Dynamax Pokemon. Rock Tomb could probably use a mention as well to force most Pokemon to eat the Speed loss and prevent them from snowballing Speed. Ice Fang also feels like its lost a bit of its niche with the lack of 4x Ice-weak Pokemon in this meta but hitting Dragons has some merit so I wouldn't remove it unless someone else feels the same.

Otherwise Hippo does Hippo things, QC 1/2

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For the Charizard mention. I'd replace it with "Fire-types like Rotom-H, Arcanine, and Charizard", since Charizard, while certainly better than expected, isn't the only Fire-type teammate you see with Hippowdon! I'd also remove the Figy Berry slash just because I think Pokemon haivng 4 item slashes is currently discouraged, though the mention should stay.

I'd probably put Rock Tomb in front of Ice Fang just because I think the speed control is more useful, but I do think Ice Fang needs to stay a slash in because Hydreigon is a bastard lol.

Only other two nitpicks I have are: I'd remove the "decent" mention, because frankly Hippowdon is still really good, better than decent :P. Also, since a lot of people new to BSS probably don't get what's so standard about Hippowdon, I'd probably change the set name to something that refernces Yawn in some way.

Otherwise, QC Appproved 2/2!

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Add remove comments
[SET] Bulky Yawn Support
name: Standard Bulky Yawn Support
move 1: Earthquake

[SET COMMENTS]
Hippowdon is a great Stealth Rock setter, status spreader and physical wall in the tier, (keep comma) being able to take on Mimikyu, Physical physical (don't capitalize "physical" or "special" unless saying the exact phrase "Special Attack" to refer to the stat) Dragapult, (AC, there should be a comma in between the last two items in a list) and Excadrill well due to its natural bulk. Earthquake is Hippowdon's mandatory stab STAB move, hitting Pokemon such as Excadrill and Tyranitar hard. Yawn forces switches from opposing pokemon Pokemon (always capitalize Pokemon) and spreads chip damage on the opposing team with Stealth Rocks (NEVER include an s at the end of Stealth Rock. That is not the move's name. Same goes for Sticky Web.) Rock and Sand (don't capitalize weathers) sand. Whirlwind has a similar function to Yawn, (AC) except it also prevents opposing Substitute and is preferred when Misty Terrain is in play. Keep in mind, (AC) though, (AC) that Whirlwind does not work against Dynamaxed Pokemon. Slack Off gives Hippowdon defensive longevity against physical attackers and allows it to be a continued menace throughout a battle. The last move is generally Stealth Rocks Rock, (AC, always have a comma before "which") which breaks sashes Focus Sashes and does significant chip damage to Pokemon such as (unless these are the ONLY examples, always include this li'l budder before listing out mons.) Galarian Darmanitan, Gyarados, (AC) and Togekiss. Rock Tomb is another option that can hit flyers (flyers isn't a term) Ground-immume Pokemon and is a form of speed control.

In terms of EVs, Max HP, Max Defence (use American spelling, this is not a valid sentence structure) Maximum HP and Defense investment with an Impish nature gives Hippowdon the most possible bulk versus physical attackers. Sitrus Berry and Figy Berry can are be used for more longevity so that Hippowdon can eat take multiple hits. Mental Herb is also a commonly used item on Hippowdon that allows it to yawn or whirlwind in front of taunters (use proper move capitalization, "taunters" is not a term) use Yawn or Whirlwind in front of Taunt users. Alternatively, Hippowdon can run Smooth Rock on Sand sand teams or Rocky Helmet with Slack Off. Hippowdon works well with hard set-up from pokemon ("hard" set-up is not a valid term, use "setup" with no space and no hyphen when referring to setup sweepers, setup opportunities, setup moves, et cetera) powerful setup sweepers like Gyarados and Excadrill behind it. Fire-types like Rotom-H, Arcanine, and Charizard can also work well, (AC, put a comma before "as" or "since" if it means because, always, no exceptions) since they take advantage of Corviknight, (AC) which might otherwise taunt and invalidate this set with Taunt.

Please use the official implementation method at spo.ink/gpvideo

Given the number of analyses you have in this section, I would request that you thoroughly read this check's comments and go through the rest of your analyses carefully and in detail to fix similar mistakes to those made in this one on your own. If you do this, your analyses will get through GP significantly more quickly. Please notify me if you do this to your analyses and I will personally prioritize GP checking your work.

GP 1/1

Add remove comments
[SET] Bulky Yawn Support
name: Standard Bulky Yawn Support
move 1: Earthquake

[SET COMMENTS]
Hippowdon is a great Stealth Rock setter, status spreader and physical wall in the tier, (keep comma) being able to take on Mimikyu, Physical physical (don't capitalize "physical" or "special" unless saying the exact phrase "Special Attack" to refer to the stat) Dragapult, (AC, there should be a comma in between the last two items in a list) and Excadrill well due to its natural bulk. Earthquake is Hippowdon's mandatory stab STAB move, hitting Pokemon such as Excadrill and Tyranitar hard. Yawn forces switches from opposing pokemon Pokemon (always capitalize Pokemon) and spreads chip damage on the opposing team with Stealth Rocks (NEVER include an s at the end of Stealth Rock. That is not the move's name. Same goes for Sticky Web.) Rock and Sand (don't capitalize weathers) sand. Whirlwind has a similar function to Yawn, (AC) except it also prevents opposing Substitute and is preferred when Misty Terrain is in play. Keep in mind, (AC) though, (AC) that Whirlwind does not work against Dynamaxed Pokemon. Slack Off gives Hippowdon defensive longevity against physical attackers and allows it to be a continued menace throughout a battle. The last move is generally Stealth Rocks Rock, (AC, always have a comma before "which") which breaks sashes Focus Sashes and does significant chip damage to Pokemon such as (unless these are the ONLY examples, always include this li'l budder before listing out mons.) Galarian Darmanitan, Gyarados, (AC) and Togekiss. Rock Tomb is another option that can hit flyers (flyers isn't a term) Ground-immume Pokemon and is a form of speed control.

In terms of EVs, Max HP, Max Defence (use American spelling, this is not a valid sentence structure) Maximum HP and Defense investment with an Impish nature gives Hippowdon the most possible bulk versus physical attackers. Sitrus Berry and Figy Berry can are be used for more longevity so that Hippowdon can eat take multiple hits. Mental Herb is also a commonly used item on Hippowdon that allows it to yawn or whirlwind in front of taunters (use proper move capitalization, "taunters" is not a term) use Yawn or Whirlwind in front of Taunt users. Alternatively, Hippowdon can run Smooth Rock on Sand sand teams or Rocky Helmet with Slack Off. Hippowdon works well with hard set-up from pokemon ("hard" set-up is not a valid term, use "setup" with no space and no hyphen when referring to setup sweepers, setup opportunities, setup moves, et cetera) powerful setup sweepers like Gyarados and Excadrill behind it. Fire-types like Rotom-H, Arcanine, and Charizard can also work well, (AC, put a comma before "as" or "since" if it means because, always, no exceptions) since they take advantage of Corviknight, (AC) which might otherwise taunt and invalidate this set with Taunt.

Please use the official implementation method at spo.ink/gpvideo

Given the number of analyses you have in this section, I would request that you thoroughly read this check's comments and go through the rest of your analyses carefully and in detail to fix similar mistakes to those made in this one on your own. If you do this, your analyses will get through GP significantly more quickly. Please notify me if you do this to your analyses and I will personally prioritize GP checking your work.

GP 1/1
I will implement this and will happily review other threads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)