BSS Ho-Oh

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ho-Oh @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Level: 50
EVs: 220 HP / 236 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain

Assault Vest Ho-Oh with Giga Drain may seem extremely odd, but this is actually a very standard set in Battle Stadium Singles! With an Assault Vest, Ho-Oh becomes an insanely bulky Dynamax user, letting it take on massive special threats such as Yveltal, Xerneas, and Calyrex-S. If you manage to keep Stealth Rock off the field, a healthy Ho-Oh can even Dynamax to survive Choice Specs Kyogre's Water Spout! Giga Drain ensures that Ho-Oh isn't walled by Quagsire and lets it blast Seismitoad as well. This EV spread gives Ho-Oh a good amount of bulk while outspeeding some slower threats that may invest in speed, such as Celesteela. However, if you want to outspeed Dracovish, you'll need at least 236 Speed EVs. While Stealth Rock won't appear in every match, preparing for it makes Ho-Oh far more deadly, so be sure to pack some teammates with that in mind. Taunt Tapu Fini is an excellent response to bulkier entry hazard setters. Dracovish also effectively scares out many Stealth Rock setters, with the big exception of Ferrothorn. Extra checks to Kyogre, such as Eternatus and specially defensive Ferrothorn, should also be considered.

Last edited by a moderator:

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry for taking so long on this, Pokemon Legends has me hooked. This is ready for a check now at least, but I also have a few things on mind!

- The EV Spread isn't set in stone. This is actually the spread used to win Battle Stadium Singles 2 seasons ago! It seems like Ho-Oh does the same stuff in the new metagame, but I'm not entirely sure what speed bench mark 44 Spe hits beyond "outspeeds some fast Adamant TTar, fast Modest Celesteela", which are decent benchmarks but its a bit faster than it needs to be for that? Regardless, I actually have plenty of room left, so I'd like to mention some extra speed benchmarks, such as 236 Speed EVs to outspeed Dracovish at minimum!

- I wonder if I should mention any more restricted teammates than Eternatus or not... Zekrom and Zacian are pretty decent fits for example, and that might be a good oppertunity to warn players about using Wild Charge on Ho-Oh teams (blame Ditto lmao)

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Not an expert on Ho-Oh but I think if you can fit something about the Dracovish benchmark in there then I think it's worth the mention, just because being auto-forced to switch Ho-Oh out against a Dracovish every time is awkward.

The Wild Charge Zacian warning might be a bit out there to mention though it is a bit funny to think about that being a valid concern. Probably worth noting it though if you mention Zacian as a teammate, though Zacian feels like such a generic teammate answer that maybe it's kind of assumed that it's a good teammate for almost anything.

Unsure if chemcoop has the time to add anything but otherwise I'd say this is worth QC 1/1.

Theorymon

Sorry for the wait! This is now ready for GP! I decided not to mention Zacian as a teammate, just because Zacian is more of the kind of mon you're going to base stuff around helping, rather than the ther way around (and Zacian goes good with almost everything lol).

dex

10 wolf, 3 shepherd, 1 sheep, led leopard
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
GP Check
blue = add
red = delete
green = comments

Ho-Oh @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Level: 50
EVs: 220 HP / 236 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain

Ho-Oh with Assault Vest and Assault Vest Ho-Oh with Giga Drain may seem extremely odd, but this is actually a very standard set in Battle Stadium Singles! With an Assault Vest, Ho-Oh becomes an insanely bulky Dynamax user of Dynamax, letting it take on massive special threats such as Yveltal, Xerneas, and Calyrex-S. If you manage to keep Stealth Rock off the field, a healthy Ho-Oh can even Dynamax to survive Choice Specs Kyogre's Water Spout! Giga Drain ensures that Ho-Oh won't be isn't walled by Quagsire and blasts lets it blast Seismitoad as well. This EV spread gives Ho-Oh a good amount of bulk while outspeeding some slower threats that may invest in speed, such as Celesteela. However, if you want to outspeed Dracovish, you'll need at least 236 Speed EVs. While Stealth Rock won't appear in every match, preparing for it makes Ho-Oh far more deadly, so be sure to pack some teammates with that in mind. Taunt Tapu Fini is an excellent response thanks to Taunt against to bulkier entry hazard setters. Dracovish also effectively scares out many Stealth Rock setters, (add comma) with the big exception of Ferrothorn. Also consider some extra Extra checks to Kyogre, such as Eternatus and specially defensive Ferrothorn, (add comma) should also be considered.

stag stamp.gif

1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)