How to get a friend to stop smoking

I dont really give a shit what they do in their spare time and I've gotten passed out drunk a few times myself but this friend of mine is smoking one pack-two packs a day (sometimes more) and I'm starting to get worried, I've talked to him about and he keeps telling me he'll quit when he's done with class/ gets time off work/ next semester etc. He's always been a lad of his vices but this is pretty out there even for him. I know it's his life and all but I'd rather not see my friends deteriorate from excess drug use.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You can't, unless he wants to quit on his own no one can convince him. That's the thing with smoking, we know it's bad, we know it'll definitely lead to some sort of terminal illness or having a short breath or whatever, but we still do it anyway.

My advice would be to let it go honestly, but if you really wanna keep at it then i suggest instead of getting him to quit, get him to reduce the amount he smokes. Give him alternatives, the two best alternatives I found were juul and phix, look them up. They're way better than vaping cuz they're smaller, need much less maintenance (just charging it and buying flavour capsules), cheaper, and deliver a better effect that's closer to actual cigs. It might not make him quit outright but can help reduce the cig consumption.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Literally nothing you can do will make him quit, but you can try to turn him on to vaping instead. Same nicotine hit but infinitely better than smoking for your health.

Echoing what avocado said above, you can't really make them quit and bugging them about it constantly is not going to help either. Idk how close you are with them, just let them know that they're overdoing it and that they should reduce the intake. Ideally, the concern you're showing will get them to lower the intake because that's much less of an ask than asking to quit outright.

Most of my friends that smoke always talk about wanting to quit but just don't/can't but the majority have succeeded in lowering their intake overtime after a point where they were smoking a ton.

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Like others have said, you can't pester someone about it too frequently. However, it might be a good idea to ask them when an appropriate time in the future would be to talk about again. If they are interested in quitting, this page might be helpful:

https://www.cancer.org/healthy/stay...ciding-to-quit-smoking-and-making-a-plan.html

To summarize, if someone is interested in quitting, it's important they set a quit date, usually within a month. Close to before that day, they should get rid of all their cigarettes, ashtrays, lighters, and whatever else is related to smoking from their house and car. I would highly recommend an over-the-counter nicotine replacement product to help with cravings, like a gum or patch. There are specific instructions on how to use these products on the packaging. Social support is important. Physical substitutes like carrots or toothpicks might help as well. Also, more social support.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
really though if someone gets into smoking you already know theyre dumb as a bag of bricks so theres no real point in trying to convince them especially not with well reasoned points

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah you pretty much have been given the answer you don't want, and that there is little, next to nothing, that you can actually do that will make them quit. You can help and that is it.

I found the only way I would even consider quitting myself would be if I had my own weed to smoke in place of a cig. Of course it's not as easy to get hold of for some people (even I struggle because I lack the money), but if you can say have a few drags of a spliff instead of sparking another (BAN ME PLEASE) then that's a way forward for myself. Why feel choked with a rattling headache because of the toxic fumes when I could just smoke a joint and feel absolutely great instead?

One thing that makes me want to quit is I sometimes get codeine pills from chemist/boots and they have a strong effect on the body and how it lets things run smoothly, having had a cigarette just before I felt tight and trapped. The pill would alleviate any pain from the (BAN ME PLEASE) and so when I am on those tablets I don't really like smoking at all. They're cheap behind the counter stuff you can try for him if that's an option you for.

When it comes to encouraging someone to quit smoking you have to be very careful not to have an opposite effect and end up discouraging. It is important to reflect on the best way to act with who is on this journey, understanding that it is a dependence both chemical and psychological.
It can be therapeutic support or physical, collective, social and even religious activities. New environments can also make the process much easier.

Usually those who are quitting smoking face two phases. The first, in the initial three months, is to overcome abstinence, which can even be treated with medication. The second, which runs from the 4th to the 12th month, places the smoker to the test. At this point, he will have to face stressful situations and problems without resorting to cigarette as before.

Interestingly enough, when I began taking antidepressants, it killed my nicotine addiction. Even when I stopped the medication, I no longer had the addiction. I rarely ever smoke these days. And I pretty much never ever have an urge to. My peak was around 5 to 7 cigs a day. I'm honestly happy that quitting was relatively easy and that I don't have smoking in my life anymore because it doesn't look good to the outside world.

Just my two cents.

Politely ask how they feel about their smoking habit. If they seem negative about it, politely ask if if they want to quit. If they don't want to quit, there is nothing you can do and at that point you're really just a controlling friend if you keep pushing.

If they want to quit, ask how you can help. In the end, they're the ones calling the shots.

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As a fellow smoker, I think all you can do is express your worries about his habit seriously. This should be enough to make your friend feel guilty whenever they smoke, and hopefully they'll stop it.
I did try quitting and had long periods of time when I didn't smoke at all (a few months), but that was due to me being done with the health effects of smoking. It's very hard to quit in my country, as cigarettes are sold individually everywhere (making them super cheap) and 90% of my friends are smokers, but I do wish you good luck :blobthumbsup:

Also i wanna mention that you stop telling him to quit cuz it gets really annoying. Thing with smokers is they smoke cuz it feels good and they like it, they wont stop when someone tells them to, they'll stop once they stop liking it
This is so accurate

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You could complain about how they smell terrible instead of ever mentioning their habit, cause smokers smell horrible

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)