LC Igglybuff

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
[OVERVIEW]
At first glance, Igglybuff has a gargantuan HP stat and a wide movepool. However, all of its other stats are extremely poor, and it lacks enough unique utility options to distinguish itself at all from Spritzee. In a metagame dominated by Fighting-types such as Timburr, Mienfoo, and Croagunk, not having that key Fighting-type resistance due to its Normal typing is brutal for Igglybuff, and its abysmal defensive stats are just another reason why Igglybuff is fully outclassed by Spritzee. Igglybuff does sport Competitive and Fire Blast, but these traits are not enough to warrant its use whatsoever when its overall stats and movepool are just abysmal.

[SET]
name: Wish + Protect
move 1: Wish
move 2: Protect
move 3: Hyper Voice
move 4: Fire Blast / Psychic
item: Eviolite
ability: Competitive
nature: Calm
evs: 196 HP / 116 SpA / 196 SpD
ivs: 0 Atk

[SET COMMENTS]
Igglybuff's best strategy is to utilize its absurd HP stat and access to Wish to chip away at the opposition. Igglybuff can attempt to switch into Defog users such as Vullaby to obtain Special Attack boosts from Competitive; however, Igglybuff is just so poor offensively, it's hard to capitalize on those Special Attack boosts. Overall, Little Cup has way better Wish passers such as Spritzee and Lickitung that are more capable of fulfilling this role.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Aaronboyer, 239454]]
- Quality checked by: [[Fiend, 108173], [Nineage, 195129]]
- Grammar checked by: [[frostration, 447027]]

Last edited:

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
  • "gapingly" is an adverb that makes me uncomfortable, please remove it
  • The comparison in the first sentence is weird - it implies Spritzee gets all of those moves, which it doesn't. Instead, focus on the fact that its movepool doesn't have much to set it apart from Spritzee (without giving examples) while its stats are appallingly bad.
  • Mention explicitly in the second sentence that it doesn't have a Fighting resistance because of its additional Normal typing.
  • Instead of focusing just on the Spritzee connection, I'd rework this to focus on the reasons Igglybuff can't abuse its movepool, period (bad stats and typing), and then at the end list a few defensive and offensive mons that outclass it.

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Remove the second sentence - other Pokemon do this
  • Add a sentence about how Competitive sets it apart a little bit..but the effect is hard to abuse because of its poor spa stat
This is NOT 1/2, tag me when you implement and ill look back over before I stamp.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
While Igglybuff at first glance has a wide movepool and a gargantuan HP stat, it lacks enough unique utility options to distinguish itself at all from Spritzee and its stats are incredibly poor.
I would restructure this to emphasise the terrible stats (besides hp), and then state its lack of a niche.

Igglybuff does sport Competitive and Fire Blast, but these traits are not enough to warrant its use whatsoever when its overall stats and movepool are just abysmal, leaving it outclassed by Pokemon such as Lickitung, Drowzee, and the aforementioned Spritzee.
I don't really like how this implies Lickitung and Drowzee are somewhat close to Spritzee in terms of viability. I really don't feel this comparison is even needed however.

[SET COMMENTS]
Good.

QC: 1/2

Nineage i'm tagging you to give this another look over for 2/2.

9 edit: will do this when this check is implemented

Last edited by a moderator:

frostration

i probably have a headache
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]
At first glance, Igglybuff has a gargantuan HP stat and a wide movepool. However, all of its other stats are extremely poor, and it lacks enough unique utility options to distinguish itself at all from Spritzee. In a metagame dominated by Fighting-types such as Timburr, Mienfoo, and Croagunk, not having that key Fighting-type resistance due to its Normal typing is brutal for Igglybuff, and its abysmal defensive stats are just another reason why Igglybuff is fully outclassed by Spritzee. Igglybuff does sport Competitive and Fire Blast, but these traits are not enough to warrant its use whatsoever when its overall stats and movepool are just abysmal.

[SET]
name: Wish + Protect
move 1: Wish
move 2: Protect
move 3: Hyper Voice
move 4: Fire Blast / Psychic
item: Eviolite
ability: Competitive
nature: Calm
evs: 196 HP / 116 SpA / 196 SpD
ivs: 0 Atk

[SET COMMENTS]
Igglybuff's best attempt strategy is to utilize its absurd HP stat and access to Wish to chip away at the opposition. Igglybuff can attempt to switch into Defog users such as Vullaby to obtain Special Attack boosts from Competitive; however, Igglybuff is just so poor offensively, its it's [it's = it is (think of the apostrophe as the dot of the missing "i"), its = possession] hard to capitalize on those Special Attack boosts. Overall, Little Cup has way better Wish passers such as Spritzee and Lickitung that are more capable of fulfilling this role.
GP 1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)