Approved Improving disconnect screens

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
One thing that has always bothered me about Showdown is how any and all chat textboxes are disabled and cleared upon being disconnected. I can honestly say I've had hundreds of messages that I've had to type out all over again because of this.

What I suggest to fix this is disabling disconnected users from only sending messages after the disconnection popup, so that way they can at least copy and paste the message they were typing out before reloading.

One thing that has always bothered me about Showdown is how any and all chat textboxes are disabled and cleared upon being disconnected. I can honestly say I've had hundreds of messages that I've had to type out all over again because of this.

What I suggest to fix this is disabling disconnected users from only sending messages after the disconnection popup, so that way they can at least copy and paste the message they were typing out before reloading.
I second this; I find myself disconnecting fairly often when it wasn't my intention, and I not only sometimes miss unread messages/leave messages unattended, but anything that I had typed up essentially went away once I disconnect. With the disconnection menu, by making it so that it only disables users from sending messages, we're essentially able to save any text related thing that we need to keep note of so we don't lose it/have to mistype it.

Another thing is that when you disconnect and reconnect, the message list in a room doesn't go too far back in comparison to when you first join that room in that situation. Why is this necessary to point out? Well, as an avid mafia player in the Mafia room on PS, I find it challenging to copy and paste lynch orders since under Universal Backup (the mafia bot that HoeenHero and jumbowhales coded for script), that information isn't saved, so we can't go back and copy paste. I know that this is highly situational, but the same suggestion/proposition still applies; if we are able to access text related mechanics under disconnection, it would make our lives a little bit easier so that we don’t have to resort to asking other people for copy pastes of any messages, prolonging everything.

Fully agreed. Typing messages, especially things like explanations, answers to a game's game (specifically scavengers), thought processes (tier rooms, set explanations, mafia) or a question (trivia) are incredibly frustrating to lose when you disconnect for even a millisecond too long. Unless there's a deep reason why this is hard to do, I think this is nothing but beneficial

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
A detail I'd like to suggest for implementing this would be to change the placeholder text to something along the lines of "You are disconnected and cannot chat", so if you do NOT already have a chat message typed out you can still see that message in that location. I would do this but I have enough to do currently sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)