move4: Water Pulse
evs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD

why this set should be on smogon:
-walls many pokemon
-takes advantage of it's ability
-doesn't have a true "counter"
-provides good coverage with two moves
-has a 40% confusion rate which can give time to set up more
-no other pokemon can pull this off (clefabe doesn't get serene grace, which makes it significantly a worse option)

evs:
-bold 252/200 makes sure +1 Gyarados can never OHKO Jirachi with earthquake
-has a chance to survive fire blast from timid choice scarf heatran
-is never 2HKOd by heatwave from physically defensive zapdos (has a very small chance without leftovers, never with leftovers)
-can still 2HKO Gyarados with charge beam (even without the SpA boost)

team support:
-anyone who can set up toxic spikes, because cosmic power can stall well. tentecruel can spin rocks, turning many 1HKOs on jirachi into 2HKOs (with +0, which will almost never happen anyway). tentecruel even takes fire and fighting which trouble jirachi, while jirachi takes psychic, but they both share a ground weakness.
-sleep support is great if it can get you to +2 on defenses, which pretty much bags the win.
-something to get rid of swampert. roserade makes a great candidate because it can also set up TSpikes.

thanks in advance!

Toxic spikes should be bolded, italicized, and everything else. Here's why:

Jirachi +6 Water Pulse
vs. 24/232 Bold Blissey : 17% - 20.1%

With no SpA investment, you need 7-9 water pulses just to take down Blissey (5-6 with sandstorm). It is not very likely that you will get enough confusion-hax to beat down Blissey, never mind the fact that you only have 16 water pulses.

Make a note that, unlike physical Jirachi, burn doesn't cripple you.

My problem with this is that Calm Mind accomplishes this but faster and with higher base power moves, which provide it with a unique ability to beat down even Blissey (provided you get some Psychic/Flash Cannon SpDef drops). It lacks the +def function, but Jirachi has good natural bulk anyway. It relies on confusion and weak moves to do what CM already does.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm gonna go ahead and say no to this set. There's way too much stuff that comes in and manhandles this set with powerful super-effective attacks. Stuff like any Heatran, EQ from Tyranitar/Dragonite/anything vaguely powerful, strong Fighting-type attacks, Infernape, etc. It also has very, very little power even if it manages to set up all the way and not get CH'd. Utterly walled by all grass-types, can't touch Blissey or Snorlax adequately, etc. Also, against bulky stat uppers like Crocune, DDnite, DD Kingdra, Cursetar, Cursepert, etc, you need to deal with the fact that in order to survive their attacks you need to boost your defenses, but to deal reasonable damage, you need to boost your offense, and you can't even do the whole "offense-boosting" thing against ground-types. Doesn't really work for me.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
At first I thought this set had some merit...but the damage output is just too low. The reason Cosmic Power worked on deoe was that it had taunt to stop setups and status and could pressure stall, but this jirachi is just setup bait. To put the damage output in perspective, a +6 water pulse will never OHKO a 100% lucario...and lucario is one of the more fragile sweepers in OU. So you're going to have trouble setting this up even against offensive teams, though if it does manage to set up it will probably bring an offensive team down easily. Still, it is clearly a total deadweight against stall teams, as the opponent will just spin your rocks or setup hazards and then phaze jirachi.

So yeah maybe there is a niche for beating on offensive teams, but it is so useless against slower teams that i can't see it being horribly useful (at least for laddering).

breh

強いだね
I'm no OU expert, but is there any reason that you're running Water Pulse? Sure it's good for hax, but why not just run psychic? This way, you have a reliable stab and can actually do something to pokemon (though I admit it leaves a lot to be desired against DDtar, but I'm not really too sure about how common it is which is used on 25% of T-tars as of june, not to mention other setup sweepers. And breloom; you should be running a bit more speed to at the very least outspeed max speed).

For this to be a set, you must provide some reasoning as to why it should be used in place of calm mind... I.E. notable KOs it dodges with the extra defense

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Apart from what other C&Cers pointed out, this set was rejected by QC less than a week ago if I recall correctly.

I'm gonna go ahead and lock this topic. Thanks for this attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)