Jumpluff (UU) [GP 2/2]

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
:gs/jumpluff:

[OVERVIEW]

Jumpluff is one of the best support Pokemon in UU, since it is one of the fastest Pokemon in the tier and carries a lot of utility moves. Its access to Encore lets it stop many of the setup sweepers in the tier, like Scyther and Quagsire. Its useful typing also makes it an awesome pivot against a variety of threatening Pokemon. However, its lack of offensive options means that it can be quite passive, and its mediocre bulk means that it cannot take many hits without being forced to use Synthesis, so it can be forced out with some offensive pressure.

[SET]
name: Utility
move 1: Stun Spore
move 2: Encore
move 3: Synthesis / Leech Seed
move 4: Sleep Powder / Reflect / Hidden Power Flying / Leech Seed
item: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Stun Spore is one of the main selling points of Jumpluff, since it helps shut down and threaten a lot of Pokemon that don't like being crippled with status, like Scyther, Nidoqueen, Electabuzz, and Kadabra. Jumpluff's access to Encore, combined with its high Speed, allows it to check a significant portion of the setup sweepers in the tier. One especially notable target is Scyther, which is notoriously difficult to check due to its high Speed and access to Baton Pass. An unboosted Scyther is relatively weak, so Jumpluff can take advantage of this by outspeeding it and locking it into Swords Dance before it can strike Jumpluff down. Even if Scyther anticipates Jumpluff's entry and uses Wing Attack, it is still at risk of being hit by one of Jumpluff's status moves, the threat of which can potentially give Jumpluff the opportunity it needs to recover with Synthesis. Synthesis is also useful to allow Jumpluff to better check defensive Pokemon such as RestTalk Slowbro, which would otherwise be able to wear it down over time. Jumpluff can take advantage of this by using Encore to lock these Pokemon into a move that one of its teammates resists for an easy opportunity to switch in. Leech Seed can be used over Synthesis, as it forces a lot of switches and lets you get Jumpluff's teammates onto the field more easily, on top of chipping down other Pokemon, especially bulky RestTalk users like Slowbro or Slowking. However, losing Synthesis affects its longevity and effectiveness against Scyther. Sleep Powder forces a Pokemon to be used as sleep fodder, provoking more switches and giving your team more momentum; it also works as an effective emergency option if Jumpluff is in a pinch. Reflect lets Jumpluff switch into physical attackers and shut them down more safely with Encore or Stun Spore while staying healthy with Synthesis; it can also be taken advantage of by Jumpluff's teammates. Hidden Power Flying is a nice option to hit Scyther, Bellossom, and Pinsir super effectively so you are able to chip them down, punish the low HP Pokemon that try to recover on Jumpluff, or wear down Pokemon that don't threaten it.

Team Options
========

Spikes support from Pokemon like Qwilfish is crucial for Jumpluff, since it forces a lot of switches and chips away at the opponent's Pokemon. Without Spikes support, Jumpluff fails to do anything against bulkier teams, which can consistently switch between their RestTalk users and waste its utility. Bulky Pokemon like Slowbro, Hypno, and Ampharos can be used as status absorbers, take hits for Jumpluff and spread more status alongside it. Nidoqueen, Granbull, Pinsir, and Quagsire appreciate Jumpluff spreading paralysis, making them outspeed Pokemon they wouldn't be able to otherwise. Thief users like Mr. Mime, Kadabra, and Haunter can steal foes' Leftovers, making them easier to wear down. Jumpluff also appreciates Heal Bell support from Pokemon like Granbull and Chansey so it can be healed of any status ailments when necessary.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Jumpluff can run a RestTalk set, which lets it shrug off status ailments more easily. However, if it uses such a set, it will have a hard time using the proper move at the right moment, making its utility less reliable; it also wants to have the other utility moves over Rest and Sleep Talk. Another option Jumpluff could use is Toxic, which would help it take down Bellossom and force some RestTalk users to use Rest earlier.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Status-Inflicting Moves**: Jumpluff dislikes any status whatsoever due to the fact that losing its Speed or being asleep pretty much nullifies its usefulness. Therefore, any unexpected moves that can inflict status on it will make it really hard for it to get back in action, unless you're running a Heal Bell user.

**RestTalk Users**: Outside of Leech Seed, Jumpluff cannot do much to RestTalk users, since it cannot use Encore to lock them into Sleep Talk and isn't going to do much damage to them if it has Hidden Power Flying. Blastoise in particular can be really annoying, since it can also remove Spikes and nullify the offensive pressure that Jumpluff can create with them. Other examples are Slowbro, Slowking, Hypno, Ampharos, Magneton, and Arcanine. RestTalk users still need to be careful, though, since they can be paralyzed or hit with Encore, the latter making them unable to use Rest.

**Offensive Pressure**: Offensive Pokemon like Nidoqueen, Scyther, Dodrio, and Granbull are dangerous for Jumpluff to switch into or stay in against due to their hard-hitting attacks. However, they must be willing to risk being paralyzed or hit by Sleep Powder if they stay in on Jumpluff, especially if they don't have RestTalk or Heal Bell support. Jumpluff can also reduce its risk when switching into dangerous physical attackers by using Reflect.

**Ice-type Coverage Moves**: A lot of Pokemon run Ice-type coverage moves to cover common Ground- and Flying-type Pokemon in the tier. Because of that, Jumpluff needs to be careful Pokemon like Nidoqueen, Piloswine, Electabuzz, and Magneton.

**Qwilfish**: Qwilfish can inflict heavy damage and poison on Jumpluff with its STAB Sludge Bomb. However, if it has not yet set up Spikes, it should beware of Sleep Powder preventing it from laying them down. In addition, Qwilfish's ability to check many setup sweepers with Haze will be severely impaired if it gets paralyzed by Stun Spore.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[xJoelituh, 241144]]
- Quality checked by: [[Diophantine, 370164], [Earthworm, 15210]]
- Grammar checked by: [[deetah, 297659], [Empress, 175616]]

Last edited by a moderator:

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Jumpluff is one of the most meta-defining Pokemon
I would disagree with this. The most meta-defining Pokemon are Nidoqueen, Granbull, Scyther and Slowbro.

I think that Synthesis is absolutely necessary.

with some solid bulk
I would argue that its bulk is pretty mediocre when compared to the rest of the tier.

threaten a lot of fast Pokemon
It isn't only fast Pokemon that hate paralysis. You even list Nidoqueen (which has pretty average speed).

being really busted on this generation
I would just remove this. Too informal and you explain why it's good anyway.

Leech seed helps both itself and its teammates get additional passive healing and also nullifying the Spikes damage for other Pokemon when switching in.
Also mention how it can chip opponents.

Hidden Power Flying is a nice option to hit Scyther and other Jumpluff super effective and not being a sitting duck against some of them.
I am not sure about the viability of HP Flying. You already deal with Scyther and Jumpluff anyway with status/Encore. Perhaps mention it as an other option.

Hidden Power Flying can be used along side Synthesis to change its role to a more offensive approach with a more powerful healing move.
Offensive Jumpluff is not threatening in the slightest.

Bulky Psychic types, like Slowbro or Hypno also provide a lot of support to Jumpluff since they can sponge off hits for it and get additional healing with Leech Seed.
Why does it help if they are Psychic-type? Surely there are more bulky Pokemon that can also do this that aren't Psychic-type.

Thief users like Mr. Mime, Kadabra and Haunter also help rack up the residual damage this Pokemon can produce with the Spikes helping it.
I know what you mean but I would reword this to say that Thief stops residual recovery or something.

The best it could do is use a Restalker set, with Leech Seed and Encore, which let you shrug off more the status on Jumpluff more plus getting even more obnoxious.
I disagree. When you are sleeping and using Sleep Talk, you lose control over what you can do with Jumpluff. It also loses its ability to spread paralysis which, as you previously mentioned, is one of its main selling points.

doesn't mind the paralysis either,
Doesn't it? It has worse odds against Nidoqueen if it is paralysed and finds it more difficult to heal on "free" turns it generates.

**Dodrio**: Drill Peck 2HKOs Jumpluff which can risk staying in a Stun Spore if given the scenario helping removing one of the key pieces of the opposing team.
Can it risk it? Seems pretty situational since you risk paralysis on Dodrio. You should probably give this more detail.

Let me know when you have made changes or if you have any questions :)

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
I would disagree with this. The most meta-defining Pokemon are Nidoqueen, Granbull, Scyther and Slowbro.
"Jumpluff is one of the best support Pokemon of UU"
I think that Synthesis is absolutely necessary.
Leech Seed still serves its purpose and I don't think it should be listed in OO, because it isn't that bad. Maybe it could be added as an extra slash on move 4?
I would argue that its bulk is pretty mediocre when compared to the rest of the tier.
changed to okay bulk, it still has enough to live SE hits if needed
It isn't only fast Pokemon that hate paralysis. You even list Nidoqueen (which has pretty average speed).
Removed "fast". I was considering everything on the queen range fast enough. But even Sandslash doesn't like being paralyzed so.

I would just remove this. Too informal and you explain why it's good anyway.
Sure
Also mention how it can chip opponents.
how did i miss this

I am not sure about the viability of HP Flying. You already deal with Scyther and Jumpluff anyway with status/Encore.
EW did say HP Flying should be in the main set when I asked him, I personally haven't used it but there aren't many targets for HP Flying anyway, besides Bello, which is a 3hko. I don't know how to actually word it.
Offensive Jumpluff is not threatening in the slightest.
I guess same as above, but it was more so it isnt just spreading status and it can be more proactive.

Why does it help if they are Psychic-type?
"Bulky Psychic types, like Slowbro or Hypno also provide a lot of support, since they can be used as status absorbers, sponge off hits for it and spread more status along side Jumpluff plus they like the additional healing of Leech Seed. " A lot can be drop i suppose.

I know what you mean but I would reword this to say that Thief stops residual recovery or something.
"Thief users like Mr. Mime, Kadabra and Haunter help stop residual recovery from the other Pokemon, racking up the amount of chip dealt."

I disagree. When you are sleeping and using Sleep Talk, you lose control over what you can do with Jumpluff. It also loses its ability to spread paralysis which, as you previously mentioned, is one of its main selling points.
This is a weird one, I asked EW when he suggested the Restalk set and he said that Seeds + Encore seemed better. You mostly are using restalk to get rid of your status if it happens, so you can help still. Maybe I could remove the mention of the other moves because all of Stun, Encore, HP Flying and Leech Seed seem that could work with restalk?

Doesn't it? It has worse odds against Nidoqueen if it is paralysed and finds it more difficult to heal on "free" turns it generates.
I feel like it does mind less than Jumpluff and given the case it can be paralyzed. I worded it like it care less.

Can it risk it? Seems pretty situational since you risk paralysis on Dodrio. You should probably give this more detail.
**Dodrio**: Drill Peck 2HKOs Jumpluff which can risk staying in a Stun Spore if given the scenario or it is Restalker or is carrying Miracle Berry, helping removing one of the key pieces of the opposing team. Jumpluff can't switch in on Dodrio either. --> It could easily be drop, if I didn't mention Scyther, Dodrio can be in the "Offensive pressure" department as well

Last edited:

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Leech Seed still serves its purpose and I don't think it should be listed in OO, because it isn't that bad. Maybe it could be added as an extra slash on move 4?
Leech Seed should definitely be mentioned as a move. It's more important than HP Flying and Sleep Powder.

changed to okay bulk, it still has enough to live SE hits if needed
It's GSC, everything can. I would just mention that it has great speed and utility options.

EW did say HP Flying should be in the main set when I asked him, I personally haven't used it but there aren't many targets for HP Flying anyway, besides Bello, which is a 3hko. I don't know how to actually word it.
I'll speak to him about it. Also it only has a very small chance to 3HKO.

I guess same as above, but it was more so it isnt just spreading status and it can be more proactive.
Can't it do that without HP Flying though?

"Bulky Psychic types, like Slowbro or Hypno also provide a lot of support, since they can be used as status absorbers, sponge off hits for it and spread more status along side Jumpluff plus they like the additional healing of Leech Seed. " A lot can be drop i suppose.
What are you going to say instead though?

This is a weird one, I asked EW when he suggested the Restalk set and he said that Seeds + Encore seemed better. You mostly are using restalk to get rid of your status if it happens, so you can help still. Maybe I could remove the mention of the other moves because all of Stun, Encore, HP Flying and Leech Seed seem that could work with restalk?
I was just thinking that Jumpluff needs as many utility options as it can get, and Rest Talk just restricts what it can do. Just don't let it take obvious Thunder Waves/Toxics/etc or mention that Heal Bell support is nice for it.

I feel like it does mind less than Jumpluff and given the case it can be paralyzed. I worded it like it care less.
Not really an efficient way of dealing with Jumpluff though.

**Dodrio**: Drill Peck 2HKOs Jumpluff which can risk staying in a Stun Spore if given the scenario or it is Restalker or is carrying Miracle Berry, helping removing one of the key pieces of the opposing team. Jumpluff can't switch in on Dodrio either. --> It could easily be drop, if I didn't mention Scyther, Dodrio can be in the "Offensive pressure" department as well
Better, but I would just add this under offensive pressure if you are going to add it.

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
Leech Seed should definitely be mentioned as a move. It's more important than HP Flying and Sleep Powder.
Talked about this on discord and its going on OO now.

It's GSC, everything can. I would just mention that it has great speed and utility options.
Fixed

What are you going to say instead though?
"Bulky Psychic types, like Slowbro or Hypno also provide support, "

I was just thinking that Jumpluff needs as many utility options as it can get, and Rest Talk just restricts what it can do. Just don't let it take obvious Thunder Waves/Toxics/etc or mention that Heal Bell support is nice for it.
Restalks seems very niche but I think it has its place if you can afford to run a Heal Bell user, if you want to care less about status or even used it as sleep fodder. If you can bring it safely on opposing Bello/Jumpluff you can try to Rest up to get rid of your status and be back on track, while still being somewhat useful with Sleep Talk.
"Heal Bell support so it can permits itself get statused." added on Team Options tho.

Not really an efficient way of dealing with Jumpluff though.
Removed it and reorder the C&C a bit

Better, but I would just add this under offensive pressure if you are going to add it.
Removed it as individual and add them as examples on Off. pressure

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
"Bulky Psychic types, like Slowbro or Hypno also provide support, "
What I was trying to get at is that them being Psychic doesn't offer anything, or if it does then you need to specify why. You could say bulkier Pokemon, or walls, or Pokemon which reliably switch into X, or something like that, because other non-Psychic-type Pokemon can do this too.

Restalks seems very niche but I think it has its place if you can afford to run a Heal Bell user, if you want to care less about status or even used it as sleep fodder. If you can bring it safely on opposing Bello/Jumpluff you can try to Rest up to get rid of your status and be back on track, while still being somewhat useful with Sleep Talk.
But if you're running a Heal Bell user, then there's little need for Sleep Talk, since you plan on removing status that way, and there are many better status absorbers in the tier. Rest Talk Jumpluff loses two important utility moves - it's not like Slowbro or Ampharos which only need two attacks to be viable.

Jumpluff dislikes any status whatsoever,
Say why this is specifically rather than just "loses its best traits".

**Offensive pressure**: Once it is revealed, Jumpluff can be forced out more often due to the opponent knowing its there and start attacking it making it unable to it recover health or spread statuses. Pokemon like Scyther, Nidoqueen, Granbull and Dodrio are good examples.
Talk about why it's scared - it's lack of good bulk and its passivity. Also Scyther really hates status to the point where Jumpluff is considered a check to it.

for other Pokemon
teammates*

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
What I was trying to get at is that them being Psychic doesn't offer anything, or if it does then you need to specify why. You could say bulkier Pokemon, or walls, or Pokemon which reliably switch into X, or something like that, because other non-Psychic-type Pokemon can do this too.
"Bulky Pokemon, like Slowbro, Hypno or Ampharos also provide support, since they can be used as status absorbers, sponge off hits for it and spread more status along side Jumpluff plus they like the additional healing of Leech Seed."

But if you're running a Heal Bell user, then there's little need for Sleep Talk, since you plan on removing status that way, and there are many better status absorbers in the tier. Rest Talk Jumpluff loses two important utility moves - it's not like Slowbro or Ampharos which only need two attacks to be viable.
You are not bringing both together, plus the only relevant Heal bell user is Granbull which has a hard time to fit the slot for it, since Chansey doesn't really fit with Jumpluff. This allows more flexibility and I(and EW) feel like that's why Restalks should be mentioned as an OO at least.

Say why this is specifically rather than just "loses its best traits".
fixed

Talk about why it's scared - it's lack of good bulk and its passivity. Also Scyther really hates status to the point where Jumpluff is considered a check to it.
Fixed but Scyther should def stay:
Scyther Wing Attack vs. Jumpluff: 175-206 (49.5 - 58.3%) -- 66.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

teammates*
fixed

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
You are not bringing both together, plus the only relevant Heal bell user is Granbull which has a hard time to fit the slot for it, since Chansey doesn't really fit with Jumpluff. This allows more flexibility and I(and EW) feel like that's why Restalks should be mentioned as an OO at least.
In the post above you said you would be running a heal bell user. You’re fine to mention it in OO but make its drawbacks very clear.
Fixed but Scyther should def stay:
Scyther Wing Attack vs. Jumpluff: 175-206 (49.5 - 58.3%) -- 66.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Yes, Scyther can 2HKO, but it rarely wants to try or it will get paralysed. It can still find use in passing stats, but in most cases it doesn’t want to have status

Once you make these changes you can consider it QC’d 1/2

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
In the post above you said you would be running a heal bell user. You’re fine to mention it in OO but make its drawbacks very clear.
"Other moveset options Jumpluff has is a Restalker set, which let it shrug off more about the status on itself. but if it Rest up it will have a hard time to get the proper move on the right moment, making its utility less usefull, plus it also wants to have the other utility moves over Rest and Sleep Talk."

Yes, Scyther can 2HKO, but it rarely wants to try or it will get paralysed. It can still find use in passing stats, but in most cases it doesn’t want to have status
"due to its lack of good bulk and passivity, forcing it to Synthesis up or make it switch out and unable to spread statuses."

QC 1/2

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Not satisfied with this yet.

**Offensive pressure**: Once it is revealed, Jumpluff can be forced out more often due to the opponent knowing its there and start attacking it, due to its lack of good bulk and passivity, forcing it to Synthesis up or make it switch out and unable to spread statuses, it also disencourages Jumpluff to switch into these because of how frail it is. Pokemon like Nidoqueen, Scyther, Dodrio and Granbull are good examples of this, although the first three dislike getting statused.
(Something like this)
**Offensive pressure**: Due to its lack of good bulk and passivity, offensive Pokemon like Nidoqueen, Scyther, Dodrio and Granbull threaten Jumpluff with hard-hitting attacks, but the former three must be willing to risk being paralysed or hit by Sleep Powder.

Qwilfish and Arcanine also deserve mentions in C&C.

**RestTalk Users**: Jumpluff, outside of Leech seed cannot do much to Restalker Pokemon, since it cannot Encore Sleep Talk and it isn't going to do much damage to them if it has Hidden Power Flying. They still need to be careful, since they can be paralyzed or hit with Encore, making them unable to Rest up.
Give some examples.

stop many of the Setup-Sweepers there are around on the tier, like Scyther, Granbull
Would remove Granbull. If it uses Return on the switch, you don't threaten it like you would against Scyther.

However, it doesn't have many offensive tools, so some pressure can make it not stay-in that turn and scary it out.
Lack of offensive options means that it can be quite passive, and its mediocre bulk means that it cannot take many hits without being forced to use Synthesis, so it can be forced out with some offensive pressure. (or something like that)

like +2 Granbull if it gets a Swords Dance baton passed to it.
Does this matter? Jumpluff's passivity means it isn't doing much to a Granbull unless it uses Curse.

Bellossom is immune to Leech Seed rendering useless one of it's most important moves.
Is it that important if it's not been mentioned in the main set?

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
(Something like this)
**Offensive pressure**: Due to its lack of good bulk and passivity, offensive Pokemon like Nidoqueen, Scyther, Dodrio and Granbull threaten Jumpluff with hard-hitting attacks, but the former three must be willing to risk being paralysed or hit by Sleep Powder.
Done.

Qwilfish and Arcanine also deserve mentions in C&C.
Mentioned Qwilfish as it is own C&C. Arcanine can be in the Restalk, as an example, I don't think it is relevant enough to be on its own category imo.

Give some examples.
Examples are, Slowbro, Slowking, Hypno, Ampharos, Magneton or Arcanine.

Would remove Granbull. If it uses Return on the switch, you don't threaten it like you would against Scyther.
The same could be said about Scyther <_< but okay

Lack of offensive options means that it can be quite passive, and its mediocre bulk means that it cannot take many hits without being forced to use Synthesis, so it can be forced out with some offensive pressure. (or something like that)
Fixed

Does this matter? Jumpluff's passivity means it isn't doing much to a Granbull unless it uses Curse.
It was the only calc I could find out that could work with Reflect, just made it so it is a helpful move for the team: "Reflect works fine for Jumpluff since it provide its teammates a way to handle physical hits better and make them able to switch into the many strong sweepers the tier has."

Is it that important if it's not been mentioned in the main set?
Removed the whole Bellossom as Check if Leech seed isn't in the main set.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
The same could be said about Scyther <_< but okay
No, Scyther is threatened by status, whereas Granbull is not.

strong sweepers the tier has."
Physical*

t was the only calc I could find out that could work with Reflect, just made it so it is a helpful move for the team:
You could talk about the Scyther dynamic, or just it means it has to use Synthesis less which is important because of its low PP, or you could say that it lets it bypass one of its initial weaknesses of low physical bulk

Ok once this is addressed, I finally grant it QC 1/2. Good job

[SET]
name: The Pluff (Utility)
move 3: Synthesis
move 4: Sleep Powder / Reflect / Hidden power Flying
I realise that you had it here before and got rid of it, but Leech Seed is probably worthy of a spot on the main set since it forces switches against Pokemon like Slowbro / Slowking that don't mind status or being locked into things with Encore, which can allow you to spread status further. As for where it should go, I am not too sure. It obviously has to go in slot 3 or 4, but I am unsure where is more appropriate--I guess after Synthesis? Although losing Synthesis is a big hit to your longevity and effectiveness against Scyther.

Also, I think the name should be changed to something other than "The Pluff".
[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Stun Spore is one of the main selling points of Jumpluff since it helps shut down and threaten a lot of Pokemon that don't like being statused, like Scyther, Nidoqueen or oppossing Jumpluff.
Opposing Jumpluff seems like a bad example because I can't imagine a situation where a Jumpluff would switch into another Jumpluff. Maybe go with something like Electabuzz or Kadabra.

Encore helps it a lot, since it can last up to 6 turns, and all setup sweepers need to be careful when facing this Pokemon since they could be rendered useless, also defensive Pokemon need to be careful to not get themselves locked in moves like Reflect, Light Screen or in Rest, making it unable to Sleep Talk.
You absolutely have to mention that it is good because of how fast Jumpluff is here. The duration, while helpful, is a lot less relevant. I would name drop Scyther here for sure since it's probably the hardest Pokemon to check in the whole meta and Jumpluff does it very well. I would also introduce the bit about defensive Pokemon a bit differently. Maybe say that Encore can also be used to generate a safe switch against a bulky Pokemon by encoring them into an attack that a teammate resists instead.

Sleep Powder forces a Pokemon to be used as sleep fodder, provoking more switches and making you get momentum.
Maybe also mention that it works as an effective emergency option against Pokemon that catch it on the switch with an attack.

Hidden Power Flying is a nice option to hit Scyther, Bellossom and other Jumpluff super effective so you are able to chip them down.
I would take out Jumpluff and put in something like Pinsir here. Also, another purpose of HP Flying is to give it an option it can use to punish low HP Pokemon that think they can switch into Jumpluff to recover, and to chip down Pokemon locked into an attack that doesn't threaten Jumpluff.

Team Options
========
Spikes help Jumpluff since it forces a lot of switches and help chip down your opponent's Pokemon, Qwilfish is a great option to fill this role.
I would emphasise this point more. Without Spikes support, Jumpluff can fail to do anything at all against bulkier teams which can simply switch between their RestTalkers.

Bulky Pokemon, like Slowbro, Hypno or Ampharos also provide support, since they can be used as status absorbers, sponge off hits for it and spread more status along side Jumpluff plus they like the additional healing of Leech Seed.
I'd remove this Leech seed mention.

Nidoqueen and Sandslash are two Pokemon that like the paralysis spread that it provides and the Leech Seed support.
I would probably give more examples here. Many other Pokemon can benefit, like Quagsire, Granbull, and Pinsir. I'd also get rid of Leech Seed support from here, it is much less relevant than the paralysis support.

Checks and Counters
===================
**RestTalk Users**: Jumpluff, outside of Leech seed cannot do much to Restalker Pokemon, since it cannot Encore Sleep Talk and it isn't going to do much damage to them if it has Hidden Power Flying. They still need to be careful, since they can be paralyzed or hit with Encore, making them unable to Rest up. Examples are, Slowbro, Slowking, Hypno, Ampharos, Magneton or Arcanine.
Maybe give Blastoise a special mention here because it can remove Spikes as well, which pretty much entirely nullifies any offensive pressure Jumpluff can possibly create.

Maybe reword this a bit, Granbull doesn't like paralysis either although it obviously doesn't care as much as the rest. I would also specifically mention that they are particularly effective if they manage to hit it on the switch.

**Qwilfish**: It can always switch into Jumpluff and set the Spikes up, or hit it with a Super Effective Sludge Bomb which 2HKOs and also has a good chance of poisoning it, nullifying its passive recovery of Leftovers.
Maybe mention that it fears Sleep Powder and prefers not to be paralyzed since it is often a check to setup sweepers for its team.

Last edited:

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
I realise that you had it here before and got rid of it, but Leech Seed is probably worthy of a spot on the main set since it forces switches against Pokemon like Slowbro / Slowking that don't mind status or being locked into things with Encore, which can allow you to spread status further. As for where it should go, I am not too sure. It obviously has to go in slot 3 or 4, but I am unsure where is more appropriate--I guess after Synthesis? Although losing Synthesis is a big hit to your longevity and effectiveness against Scyther.
Leech Seed back on the main set, it's on both slot 3 and 4, mentioned Slowbro and Slowking, also mentioning the drawback of losing Synthesis.

Also, I think the name should be changed to something other than "The Pluff".
Just "Utility" works ig?

Opposing Jumpluff seems like a bad example because I can't imagine a situation where a Jumpluff would switch into another Jumpluff. Maybe go with something like Electabuzz or Kadabra.
:blobwizard:

You absolutely have to mention that it is good because of how fast Jumpluff is here. The duration, while helpful, is a lot less relevant. I would name drop Scyther here for sure since it's probably the hardest Pokemon to check in the whole meta and Jumpluff does it very well. I would also introduce the bit about defensive Pokemon a bit differently. Maybe say that Encore can also be used to generate a safe switch against a bulky Pokemon by encoring them into an attack that a teammate resists instead.
Encore helps it a lot, because of how fast Jumpluff is, and all setup sweepers need to be careful when facing this Pokemon since they could be rendered useless, specially Scyther who is one of the hardest Pokemon to check and hates being Encore into Swords Dance, also defensive Pokemon need to be careful because they could be locked into an attack that a teammate resists.

(Maybe add in the end, "or in a support move?")

Maybe also mention that it works as an effective emergency option against Pokemon that catch it on the switch with an attack.
" also it works as an effective emergency option if Jumpluff is in a pinch. "

I would take out Jumpluff and put in something like Pinsir here. Also, another purpose of HP Flying is to give it an option it can use to punish low HP Pokemon that think they can switch into Jumpluff to recover, and to chip down Pokemon locked into an attack that doesn't threaten Jumpluff.
-Pluff, +Pinsir, and added everything else.

I would emphasise this point more. Without Spikes support, Jumpluff can fail to do anything at all against bulkier teams which can simply switch between their RestTalkers.
", without Spikes support, Jumpluff fails to do anything bulkier teams, who can consistently switch between their Restalkers and waste its utility. "

I'd remove this Leech seed mention.
gone

I would probably give more examples here. Many other Pokemon can benefit, like Quagsire, Granbull, and Pinsir. I'd also get rid of Leech Seed support from here, it is much less relevant than the paralysis support.
"Nidoqueen, Granbull, Pinsir and Quagsire are Pokemon that love the paralysis spread it provides, making them outspeed Pokemon they won't do otherwise. "

Maybe give Blastoise a special mention here because it can remove Spikes as well, which pretty much entirely nullifies any offensive pressure Jumpluff can possibly create.
"Blastoise in particular, can be really annoying, since it can also remove the Spikes and nullify the offensive pressure that Jumpluff can create with them. Other examples are, Slowbro, Slowking, Hypno, Ampharos, Magneton or Arcanine."

Maybe reword this a bit, Granbull doesn't like paralysis either although it obviously doesn't care as much as the rest. I would also specifically mention that they are particularly effective if they manage to hit it on the switch.
"Due to its lack of good bulk and passivity, offensive Pokemon like Nidoqueen, Scyther, Dodrio, and Granbull threaten Jumpluff with hard-hitting attacks and are particularly effective if they manage to hit it on the switch, but they all must be willing to risk being paralyzed or hit by Sleep Powder if they decide to stay in afterwards. "
How's this?

Maybe mention that it fears Sleep Powder and prefers not to be paralyzed since it is often a check to setup sweepers for its team.
"It is scared of being asleep or paralyzed despite all that, because it is often a check to setup sweepers for its team."

Encore helps it a lot, because of how fast Jumpluff is, and all setup sweepers need to be careful when facing this Pokemon since they could be rendered useless, specially Scyther who is one of the hardest Pokemon to check and hates being Encore into Swords Dance, also defensive Pokemon need to be careful because they could be locked into an attack that a teammate resists. Synthesis allows Jumpluff to heal itself and make its longevity improve.
Just going to directly suggest sentences here, I hope you don't mind:

"Jumpluff's access to Encore, combined with its high speed, allows it to check a significant portion of the setup sweepers in the tier. One especially notable target is Scyther, which is notoriously difficult to check due to its high Speed and access to Baton Pass. Scyther without a Swords Dance boost is relatively weak, so Jumpluff can take advantage of this by outspeeding it and locking it into the move before it can strike Jumpluff down. Even if Scyther anticipates Jumpluff's entry and uses Wing Attack, it is still at risk of being hit by one of Jumpluff's status moves, the threat of which can potentially give Jumpluff the opportunity it needs to recover with Synthesis. Synthesis is also useful to allow Jumpluff to better check defensive Pokemon such as RestTalk Slowbro which would otherwise be able to wear it down over time. Jumpluff can then also use Encore to lock them into a move that a teammate resists for an easy switch-in opportunity."

Let me know if you would rather do your own rewrite.

Leech seed could be used over Synthesis, which would help both itself and its teammates get additional passive healing and also nullifying the Spikes damage for the other teammates when switching in on top of chipping down the other Pokemon, specially on bulky Restalker ones, like Slowbro and Slowking.
I think this is a little too optimistic about Leech Seed. What you want to say basically is that it forces switches and gets your teammates in easier.

Team Options
========
Spikes help Jumpluff
Very minor thing but maybe change it from "help" to "are crucial for".

This didn't get changed yet. Maybe drop "the former three" for "they" then add ", especially if they don't have RestTalk or Heal Bell support." and add the part about hitting on the switch.

**Qwilfish**: It can always switch into Jumpluff and set the Spikes up, or hit it with a Super Effective Sludge Bomb which 2HKOs and also has a good chance of poisoning it, nullifying its passive recovery of Leftovers. It is scared of being asleep or paralyzed despite all that, because it is often a check to setup sweepers for its team.
I think this one needs a bit of a rewrite. It would not be a good idea to switch Qwilfish into Jumpluff early on, especially before you have set up Spikes. If you have already set up Spikes, it is probably okay (but you do risk running into Blastoise or Graveler). The bit you have written about setup sweepers is good though.

This will be QC 2/2 once implemented.

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
Just going to directly suggest sentences here, I hope you don't mind:

"Jumpluff's access to Encore, combined with its high speed, allows it to check a significant portion of the setup sweepers in the tier. One especially notable target is Scyther, which is notoriously difficult to check due to its high Speed and access to Baton Pass. Scyther without a Swords Dance boost is relatively weak, so Jumpluff can take advantage of this by outspeeding it and locking it into the move before it can strike Jumpluff down. Even if Scyther anticipates Jumpluff's entry and uses Wing Attack, it is still at risk of being hit by one of Jumpluff's status moves, the threat of which can potentially give Jumpluff the opportunity it needs to recover with Synthesis. Synthesis is also useful to allow Jumpluff to better check defensive Pokemon such as RestTalk Slowbro which would otherwise be able to wear it down over time. Jumpluff can then also use Encore to lock them into a move that a teammate resists for an easy switch-in opportunity."

Let me know if you would rather do your own rewrite.
Yours is much better than what I could explain, so I went with it.

I think this is a little too optimistic about Leech Seed. What you want to say basically is that it forces switches and gets your teammates in easier.
Leech seed could be used over Synthesis, which forces a lot of switches and lets you get your teammates into the field easier, on top of chipping down other Pokemon, specially bulky Restalker ones, like Slowbro or Slowking. However, losing Synthesis affects its longevity and effectivenss against Scyther.

Very minor thing but maybe change it from "help" to "are crucial for".
fixed

This didn't get changed yet. Maybe drop "the former three" for "they" then add ", especially if they don't have RestTalk or Heal Bell support." and add the part about hitting on the switch.
"**Offensive pressure**: Due to its lack of good bulk and passivity, offensive Pokemon like Nidoqueen, Scyther, Dodrio and Granbull threaten Jumpluff with hard-hitting attacks, specially on the switch in, which could cause force it to Synthesis or pivot to something else, but they must be willing to risk being paralysed or hit by Sleep Powder, especially if they don't have RestTalk or Heal Bell support. "

I think this one needs a bit of a rewrite. It would not be a good idea to switch Qwilfish into Jumpluff early on, especially before you have set up Spikes. If you have already set up Spikes, it is probably okay (but you do risk running into Blastoise or Graveler). The bit you have written about setup sweepers is good though.
"Qwilfish can inflict heavy damage and poison on Jumpluff with its STAB Sludge Bomb. However, if it has not yet set up Spikes, it should beware of Sleep Powder preventing it from laying them down. In addition, Qwilfish's ability to check many setup sweepers with Haze will be severely impaired if it gets paralyzed by Stun Spore. "

QC 2/2 ! \o/

deetah

Delicate as silk
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Add Remove Comments (AC) = Add Comma (RC) = Remove Comma (AH) = Add Hyphen (AP) = Add Period (SC) = Semicolon

GP 1/2

shinxstamp.gif

[OVERVIEW]

Jumpluff is one of the best support Pokemon of in UU, since it is one of the fastest Pokemon in the tier and carries a lot of utility moves. Its access to Encore, (RC) lets it stop many of the Setup-Sweepers there are around on setup sweepers in the tier, like Scyther or and Quagsire. Also, it's an awesome pivot to some threating Pokemon due to its great typing, making it able to switch-in switch in on them. However, its lack of offensive options means that it can be quite passive, and its mediocre bulk means that it cannot take many hits without being forced to use Synthesis, so it can be forced out with some offensive pressure.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Stun Spore is one of the main selling points of Jumpluff, (AC) since it helps shut down and threaten a lot of Pokemon that don't like being statused, like Scyther, Nidoqueen, Electabuzz, (AC) or and Kadabra. Jumpluff's access to Encore, combined with its high Speed, allows it to check a significant portion of the setup sweepers in the tier. One especially notable target is Scyther, which is notoriously difficult to check due to its high Speed and access to Baton Pass. Scyther without a Swords Dance boost is relatively weak, so Jumpluff can take advantage of this by outspeeding it and locking it into the move before it can strike Jumpluff down. Even if Scyther anticipates Jumpluff's entry and uses Wing Attack, it is still at risk of being hit by one of Jumpluff's status moves, the threat of which can potentially give Jumpluff the opportunity it needs to recover with Synthesis. Synthesis is also useful to allow Jumpluff to better check defensive Pokemon such as RestTalk Slowbro, (AC) which would otherwise be able to wear it down over time. Jumpluff can then also use Encore to lock them into a move that a teammate resists for an easy switch-in opportunity. Leech Seed could can be used over Synthesis, which as it forces a lot of switches and lets you get your Jumpluff's teammates into the field easier, on top of chipping down other Pokemon, especially bulky Restalker ones RestTalk users, (RC) like Slowbro or Slowking. However, losing Synthesis affects its longevity and effectivenss effectiveness against Scyther. Sleep Powder forces a Pokemon to be used as sleep fodder, provoking more switches and making you get momentum; (SC) it also it works as an effective emergency option if Jumpluff is in a pinch. Reflect works fine for Jumpluff, (AC) since it provides its teammates a way to handle physical hits better and makes them able to switch into the many strong physical sweepers the tier has, also making it able to tank more hits meaning it will need to use Synthesis less, which is great due to the low PP of Synthesis. Hidden Power Flying is a nice option to hit Scyther, Bellossom, (AC) and Pinsir super effectively so you are able to chip them down, punish the low HP Pokemon that try to recover on Jumpluff, (AC) or wear down Pokemon that don't threaten it.

Team Options
========

Spikes are support from Pokemon like Qwilfish is crucial for Jumpluff, (AC) since it forces a lot of switches, chipping down the opponent's Pokemon. and help chip down your opponent's Pokemon, Qwilfish is a great option to fill this role, Without Spikes support, Jumpluff fails to do anything against bulkier teams, who which can consistently switch between their Restalkers RestTalk Pokemon and waste its utility. Bulky Pokemon, (RC) like Slowbro, Hypno, (AC) or and Ampharos also provide support, since they can be used as status absorbers, sponge off absorbing hits for it and spreading more status along side alongside Jumpluff. Nidoqueen, Granbull, Pinsir, (AC) and Quagsire are Pokemon that love the paralysis spread it provides appreciate Jumpluff spreading paralysis, making them outspeed Pokemon they won't do wouldn't be able to otherwise. Thief users like Mr. Mime, Kadabra, (AC) and Haunter help stop residual recovery from the other Pokemon, racking up the amount of chip dealt. It Jumpluff also appreciates Heal Bell support so it can permits itself get statused be healed of any status ailments when necessary. (Perhaps give some examples of teammates that can provide Heal Bell support)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Other moveset options Jumpluff has is a Restalker RestTalk set, which lets it shrug off more about the status on itself status ailments more easily. but if it Rest up However, if it uses Rest it will have a hard time to get the using the proper move on at the right moment, making its utility less usefull plus useful; it also wants to have the other utility moves over Rest and Sleep Talk. Another option it could use Toxic, which would help it take down Bellossom and force some Restalk RestTalk users to Rest up earlier. Other than these, Jumpluff doesn't have many other extra options.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Status-(AH)Inflicting Moves**: Jumpluff dislikes any status whatsoever due to the fact that losing its Speed or being asleep pretty much nullifies its usefulness. Therefore, any unexpected moves that could afflict status on it will make it really hard for it to get back in action, unless you're running a Heal Bell user.

**RestTalk Users**: Jumpluff, outside of Leech Seed, (AC) cannot do much to Restalker RestTalk Pokemon, since it cannot Encore their Sleep Talk and it isn't going to do much damage to them if it has Hidden Power Flying. They still need to be careful, since they can be paralyzed or hit with Encore, making them unable to Rest up. Blastoise in particular, (RC) can be really annoying, since it can also remove the Spikes and nullify the offensive pressure that Jumpluff can create with them. Other examples are, (RC) Slowbro, Slowking, Hypno, Ampharos, Magneton, (AC) or and Arcanine.

**Offensive Pressure**: Due to its lack of good bulk and passivity, offensive Pokemon like Nidoqueen, Scyther, Dodrio, (AC) and Granbull threaten Jumpluff with hard-hitting attacks, especially on the switch in, which could cause force it to use Synthesis or pivot to something else, (RC) (AP). but However, they must be willing to risk being paralysed paralyzed or hit by Sleep Powder, especially if they don't have RestTalk or Heal Bell support.

**Anything with Ice-type Coverage Moves**: A lot of Pokemon run Ice-type coverage moves mainly due to the omni presence of omnipresent Ground-(AH) Type Pokemon and Flying-(AH)types Pokemon in the tier. Because of that, Jumpluff still needs to be careful with those, examples are Pokemon like Nidoqueen, Piloswine, Electabuzz, (AC) and Magneton, as they are prime examples.

**Qwilfish**: Qwilfish can inflict heavy damage and poison on Jumpluff with its STAB Sludge Bomb. However, if it has not yet set up Spikes, it should beware of Sleep Powder preventing it from laying them down. In addition, Qwilfish's ability to check many setup sweepers with Haze will be severely impaired if it gets paralyzed by Stun Spore.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

Last edited:

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
Add Remove Comments (AC) = Add Comma (RC) = Remove Comma (AH) = Add Hyphen (AP) = Add Period (SC) = Semicolon

GP 1/2

View attachment 198525

[OVERVIEW]

Jumpluff is one of the best support Pokemon of in UU, since it is one of the fastest Pokemon in the tier and carries a lot of utility moves. Its access to Encore, (RC) lets it stop many of the Setup-Sweepers there are around on setup sweepers in the tier, like Scyther or and Quagsire. Also, it's an awesome pivot to some threating Pokemon due to its great typing, making it able to switch-in switch in on them. However, its lack of offensive options means that it can be quite passive, and its mediocre bulk means that it cannot take many hits without being forced to use Synthesis, so it can be forced out with some offensive pressure.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Stun Spore is one of the main selling points of Jumpluff, (AC) since it helps shut down and threaten a lot of Pokemon that don't like being statused, like Scyther, Nidoqueen, Electabuzz, (AC) or and Kadabra. Jumpluff's access to Encore, combined with its high Speed, allows it to check a significant portion of the setup sweepers in the tier. One especially notable target is Scyther, which is notoriously difficult to check due to its high Speed and access to Baton Pass. Scyther without a Swords Dance boost is relatively weak, so Jumpluff can take advantage of this by outspeeding it and locking it into the move before it can strike Jumpluff down. Even if Scyther anticipates Jumpluff's entry and uses Wing Attack, it is still at risk of being hit by one of Jumpluff's status moves, the threat of which can potentially give Jumpluff the opportunity it needs to recover with Synthesis. Synthesis is also useful to allow Jumpluff to better check defensive Pokemon such as RestTalk Slowbro, (AC) which would otherwise be able to wear it down over time. Jumpluff can then also use Encore to lock them into a move that a teammate resists for an easy switch-in opportunity. Leech Seed could can be used over Synthesis, which as it forces a lot of switches and lets you get your Jumpluff's teammates into the field easier, on top of chipping down other Pokemon, especially bulky Restalker ones RestTalk users, (RC) like Slowbro or Slowking. However, losing Synthesis affects its longevity and effectivenss effectiveness against Scyther. Sleep Powder forces a Pokemon to be used as sleep fodder, provoking more switches and making you get momentum; (SC) it also it works as an effective emergency option if Jumpluff is in a pinch. Reflect works fine for Jumpluff, (AC) since it provides its teammates a way to handle physical hits better and makes them able to switch into the many strong physical sweepers the tier has, also making it able to tank more hits meaning it will need to use Synthesis less, which is great due to the low PP of Synthesis. Hidden Power Flying is a nice option to hit Scyther, Bellossom, (AC) and Pinsir super effectively so you are able to chip them down, punish the low HP Pokemon that try to recover on Jumpluff, (AC) or wear down Pokemon that don't threaten it.

Team Options
========

Spikes are support from Pokemon like Qwilfish is crucial for Jumpluff, (AC) since it forces a lot of switches, chipping down the opponent's Pokemon. and help chip down your opponent's Pokemon, Qwilfish is a great option to fill this role, Without Spikes support, Jumpluff fails to do anything against bulkier teams, who which can consistently switch between their Restalkers RestTalk Pokemon and waste its utility. Bulky Pokemon, (RC) like Slowbro, Hypno, (AC) or and Ampharos also provide support, since they can be used as status absorbers, sponge off absorbing hits for it and spreading more status along side alongside Jumpluff. Nidoqueen, Granbull, Pinsir, (AC) and Quagsire are Pokemon that love the paralysis spread it provides appreciate Jumpluff spreading paralysis, making them outspeed Pokemon they won't do wouldn't be able to otherwise. Thief users like Mr. Mime, Kadabra, (AC) and Haunter help stop residual recovery from the other Pokemon, racking up the amount of chip dealt. It Jumpluff also appreciates Heal Bell support so it can permits itself get statused be healed of any status ailments when necessary. (Perhaps give some examples of teammates that can provide Heal Bell support)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Other moveset options Jumpluff has is a Restalker RestTalk set, which lets it shrug off more about the status on itself status ailments more easily. but if it Rest up However, if it uses Rest it will have a hard time to get the using the proper move on at the right moment, making its utility less usefull plus useful; it also wants to have the other utility moves over Rest and Sleep Talk. Another option it could use Toxic, which would help it take down Bellossom and force some Restalk RestTalk users to Rest up earlier. Other than these, Jumpluff doesn't have many other extra options.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Status-(AH)Inflicting Moves**: Jumpluff dislikes any status whatsoever due to the fact that losing its Speed or being asleep pretty much nullifies its usefulness. Therefore, any unexpected moves that could afflict status on it will make it really hard for it to get back in action, unless you're running a Heal Bell user.

**RestTalk Users**: Jumpluff, outside of Leech Seed, (AC) cannot do much to Restalker RestTalk Pokemon, since it cannot Encore their Sleep Talk and it isn't going to do much damage to them if it has Hidden Power Flying. They still need to be careful, since they can be paralyzed or hit with Encore, making them unable to Rest up. Blastoise in particular, (RC) can be really annoying, since it can also remove the Spikes and nullify the offensive pressure that Jumpluff can create with them. Other examples are, (RC) Slowbro, Slowking, Hypno, Ampharos, Magneton, (AC) or and Arcanine.

**Offensive Pressure**: Due to its lack of good bulk and passivity, offensive Pokemon like Nidoqueen, Scyther, Dodrio, (AC) and Granbull threaten Jumpluff with hard-hitting attacks, especially on the switch in, which could cause force it to use Synthesis or pivot to something else, (RC) (AP). but However, they must be willing to risk being paralysed paralyzed or hit by Sleep Powder, especially if they don't have RestTalk or Heal Bell support.

**Anything with Ice-type Coverage Moves**: A lot of Pokemon run Ice-type coverage moves mainly due to the omni presence of omnipresent Ground-(AH) Type Pokemon and Flying-(AH)types Pokemon in the tier. Because of that, Jumpluff still needs to be careful with those, examples are Pokemon like Nidoqueen, Piloswine, Electabuzz, (AC) and Magneton, as they are prime examples.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]
Bop, done, thanks !

GP 1/2!

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
add remove comment
[OVERVIEW]

Jumpluff is one of the best support Pokemon in UU, since it is one of the fastest Pokemon in the tier and carries a lot of utility moves. Its access to Encore lets it stop many of the setup sweepers in the tier, like Scyther and Quagsire. Also, it's an awesome pivot to some threating threatening Pokemon due to its great typing, making it able allowing it to (subjective change) to switch in on them. However, its lack of offensive options means that it can be quite passive, and its mediocre bulk means that it cannot take many hits without being forced to use Synthesis, so it can be forced out with some offensive pressure.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Stun Spore is one of the main selling points of Jumpluff, since it helps shut down and threaten a lot of Pokemon that don't like being statused crippled with status (subjective change), like Scyther, Nidoqueen, Electabuzz, and Kadabra. Jumpluff's access to Encore, combined with its high Speed, allows it to check a significant portion of the setup sweepers in the tier. One especially notable target is Scyther, which is notoriously notably (notorious = notable for a negative reason. If you think that Scyther is known negatively in this regard, I'll allow it, but I don't think that's the case.) difficult to check due to its high Speed and access to Baton Pass. An unboosted Scyther without a Swords Dance boost (wordiness) is relatively weak, so Jumpluff can take advantage of this by outspeeding it and locking it into the move Swords Dance before it can strike Jumpluff down. Even if Scyther anticipates Jumpluff's entry and uses Wing Attack, it is still at risk of being hit by one of Jumpluff's status moves, the threat of which can potentially give Jumpluff the opportunity it needs to recover with Synthesis. Synthesis is also useful to allow Jumpluff to better check defensive Pokemon such as RestTalk Slowbro, which would otherwise be able to wear it down over time. Jumpluff can then use Encore to lock them the foe into a move that a teammate resists for an easy switch-in opportunity. Leech Seed can be used over Synthesis, as it forces a lot of switches and lets you get Jumpluff's teammates into onto the field easier more easily, on top of chipping down other Pokemon, especially particularly (subjective change; I think "particularly" is the better word choice, but it's your call) bulky RestTalk users like Slowbro or Slowking. However, losing Synthesis affects its longevity and effectiveness against Scyther. Sleep Powder forces a Pokemon to be used as sleep fodder, provoking more switches and making you get giving your team more (subjective change; phrasing) momentum; it also works as an effective emergency option if Jumpluff is in a pinch. Reflect works fine for Jumpluff, since it the move provides its teammates a way to handle physical hits better and make them able to switch into the many strong physical sweepers the tier has, also making it has; Reflect also helps Jumpluff able to (phrasing) tank more hits, (AC) meaning it will need to use Synthesis less, which is great due to the low PP of Synthesis. Hidden Power Flying is a nice option to hit Scyther, Bellossom, and Pinsir super effectively so you are able to chip them down (Is this necessary?), punish the low HP Pokemon that try to recover on Jumpluff, or wear down Pokemon that don't threaten it.

Team Options
========

Spikes support from Pokemon like Qwilfish is crucial for Jumpluff, since it forces a lot of switches, chipping down and chips away at (subjective change) the opponent's Pokemon. Without Spikes support, Jumpluff fails to do anything against bulkier teams, which can consistently switch between their RestTalk Pokemon users and waste its utility. Bulky Pokemon like Slowbro, Hypno, and Ampharos also provide support, since they can be used as status absorbers, absorbing take hits for it Jumpluff, and spreading more status alongside Jumpluff it. Nidoqueen, Granbull, Pinsir, and Quagsire are Pokemon that appreciate Jumpluff spreading paralysis, making them outspeed Pokemon they wouldn't be able to otherwise. Thief users like Mr. Mime, Kadabra, and Haunter help stop residual recovery from the other Pokemon, racking up the amount of chip dealt (It's not clear that Thief is used to steal Leftovers, and doing so does not directly increase chip damage. I would say something like "...can steal foes' Leftovers, making them easier to wear down."). Jumpluff also appreciates Heal Bell support from Pokemon like Granbull and Chansey so it can be healed of any status ailments when necessary, like Granbull or Chansey.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Other moveset options Jumpluff has is can run (phrasing) a RestTalk set, which lets it shrug off status ailments more easily. However, if it uses Rest such a set, (Sleep Talk also contributes to this set's unreliability) it will have a hard time using the proper move at the right moment, making its utility less useful reliable (word choice; also, I'm not sure if it's necessary to include "making its utility less [word]". I would take it out to cut down on wordiness, but this is not a required change, so you can do what you wish.); it also wants to have the other utility moves over Rest and Sleep Talk. Another option it Jumpluff could use Toxic, which would help it take down Bellossom and force some RestTalk users to use Rest up earlier. Other than these, Jumpluff doesn't have many other extra options. (If the section ends here, then this is implied)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Status-Inflicting Moves**: Jumpluff dislikes any status whatsoever due to the fact that losing its Speed or being asleep pretty much nullifies its usefulness. Therefore, any unexpected moves that could afflict status on it will make it really hard for it to get back in action, unless you're running a Heal Bell user.

**RestTalk Users**: Jumpluff, outside Outside of Leech Seed, Jumpluff cannot do much to RestTalk Pokemon users, since it cannot use Encore their to lock them into Sleep Talk and it isn't going to do much damage to them if it has Hidden Power Flying. They still need to be careful, since they can be paralyzed or hit with Encore, making them unable to Rest up. Blastoise in particular can be really annoying, since it can also remove the Spikes and nullify the offensive pressure that Jumpluff can create with them. Other examples are Slowbro, Slowking, Hypno, Ampharos, Magneton, and Arcanine. RestTalk users still need to be careful, though, since they can be paralyzed or hit with Encore, the latter making them unable to use Rest. (Moving that sentence to the end makes the paragraph flow in a better sequence)

**Offensive Pressure**: Due to its lack of good bulk and passivity, offensive Pokemon like Nidoqueen, Scyther, Dodrio, and Granbull threaten Jumpluff with hard-hitting attacks, especially on the switch in, which could cause force it to use Synthesis or pivot to something else a teammate (subjective change). However, they must be willing to risk being paralyzed or hit by Sleep Powder, especially if they don't have RestTalk or Heal Bell support.

**Ice-type Coverage Moves**: A lot of Pokemon run Ice-type coverage moves mainly due to the omnipresent omnipresence of Ground- and Flying-types Pokemon (use either "Flying-types" or "Flying-type Pokemon"; it's up to you as to which one to use) in the tier. Because of that, Jumpluff still needs to be careful Pokemon like Nidoqueen, Piloswine, Electabuzz, and Magneton,, as they are prime examples Magneton.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[deetah, 297659], [, ]]
GP 2/2

Last edited:

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
add remove comment
[OVERVIEW]

Jumpluff is one of the best support Pokemon in UU, since it is one of the fastest Pokemon in the tier and carries a lot of utility moves. Its access to Encore lets it stop many of the setup sweepers in the tier, like Scyther and Quagsire. Also, it's an awesome pivot to some threating threatening Pokemon due to its great typing, making it able allowing it to (subjective change) to switch in on them. However, its lack of offensive options means that it can be quite passive, and its mediocre bulk means that it cannot take many hits without being forced to use Synthesis, so it can be forced out with some offensive pressure.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Stun Spore is one of the main selling points of Jumpluff, since it helps shut down and threaten a lot of Pokemon that don't like being statused crippled with status (subjective change), like Scyther, Nidoqueen, Electabuzz, and Kadabra. Jumpluff's access to Encore, combined with its high Speed, allows it to check a significant portion of the setup sweepers in the tier. One especially notable target is Scyther, which is notoriously notably (notorious = notable for a negative reason. If you think that Scyther is known negatively in this regard, I'll allow it, but I don't think that's the case.) difficult to check due to its high Speed and access to Baton Pass. An unboosted Scyther without a Swords Dance boost (wordiness) is relatively weak, so Jumpluff can take advantage of this by outspeeding it and locking it into the move Swords Dance before it can strike Jumpluff down. Even if Scyther anticipates Jumpluff's entry and uses Wing Attack, it is still at risk of being hit by one of Jumpluff's status moves, the threat of which can potentially give Jumpluff the opportunity it needs to recover with Synthesis. Synthesis is also useful to allow Jumpluff to better check defensive Pokemon such as RestTalk Slowbro, which would otherwise be able to wear it down over time. Jumpluff can then use Encore to lock them the foe into a move that a teammate resists for an easy switch-in opportunity. Leech Seed can be used over Synthesis, as it forces a lot of switches and lets you get Jumpluff's teammates into onto the field easier more easily, on top of chipping down other Pokemon, especially particularly (subjective change; I think "particularly" is the better word choice, but it's your call) bulky RestTalk users like Slowbro or Slowking. However, losing Synthesis affects its longevity and effectiveness against Scyther. Sleep Powder forces a Pokemon to be used as sleep fodder, provoking more switches and making you get giving your team more (subjective change; phrasing) momentum; it also works as an effective emergency option if Jumpluff is in a pinch. Reflect works fine for Jumpluff, since it the move provides its teammates a way to handle physical hits better and make them able to switch into the many strong physical sweepers the tier has, also making it has; Reflect also helps Jumpluff able to (phrasing) tank more hits, (AC) meaning it will need to use Synthesis less, which is great due to the low PP of Synthesis. Hidden Power Flying is a nice option to hit Scyther, Bellossom, and Pinsir super effectively so you are able to chip them down (Is this necessary?), punish the low HP Pokemon that try to recover on Jumpluff, or wear down Pokemon that don't threaten it.

Team Options
========

Spikes support from Pokemon like Qwilfish is crucial for Jumpluff, since it forces a lot of switches, chipping down and chips away at (subjective change) the opponent's Pokemon. Without Spikes support, Jumpluff fails to do anything against bulkier teams, which can consistently switch between their RestTalk Pokemon users and waste its utility. Bulky Pokemon like Slowbro, Hypno, and Ampharos also provide support, since they can be used as status absorbers, absorbing take hits for it Jumpluff, and spreading more status alongside Jumpluff it. Nidoqueen, Granbull, Pinsir, and Quagsire are Pokemon that appreciate Jumpluff spreading paralysis, making them outspeed Pokemon they wouldn't be able to otherwise. Thief users like Mr. Mime, Kadabra, and Haunter help stop residual recovery from the other Pokemon, racking up the amount of chip dealt (It's not clear that Thief is used to steal Leftovers, and doing so does not directly increase chip damage. I would say something like "...can steal foes' Leftovers, making them easier to wear down."). Jumpluff also appreciates Heal Bell support from Pokemon like Granbull and Chansey so it can be healed of any status ailments when necessary, like Granbull or Chansey.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Other moveset options Jumpluff has is can run (phrasing) a RestTalk set, which lets it shrug off status ailments more easily. However, if it uses Rest such a set, (Sleep Talk also contributes to this set's unreliability) it will have a hard time using the proper move at the right moment, making its utility less useful reliable (word choice; also, I'm not sure if it's necessary to include "making its utility less [word]". I would take it out to cut down on wordiness, but this is not a required change, so you can do what you wish.); it also wants to have the other utility moves over Rest and Sleep Talk. Another option it Jumpluff could use Toxic, which would help it take down Bellossom and force some RestTalk users to use Rest up earlier. Other than these, Jumpluff doesn't have many other extra options. (If the section ends here, then this is implied)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Status-Inflicting Moves**: Jumpluff dislikes any status whatsoever due to the fact that losing its Speed or being asleep pretty much nullifies its usefulness. Therefore, any unexpected moves that could afflict status on it will make it really hard for it to get back in action, unless you're running a Heal Bell user.

**RestTalk Users**: Jumpluff, outside Outside of Leech Seed, Jumpluff cannot do much to RestTalk Pokemon users, since it cannot use Encore their to lock them into Sleep Talk and it isn't going to do much damage to them if it has Hidden Power Flying. They still need to be careful, since they can be paralyzed or hit with Encore, making them unable to Rest up. Blastoise in particular can be really annoying, since it can also remove the Spikes and nullify the offensive pressure that Jumpluff can create with them. Other examples are Slowbro, Slowking, Hypno, Ampharos, Magneton, and Arcanine. RestTalk users still need to be careful, though, since they can be paralyzed or hit with Encore, the latter making them unable to use Rest. (Moving that sentence to the end makes the paragraph flow in a better sequence)

**Offensive Pressure**: Due to its lack of good bulk and passivity, offensive Pokemon like Nidoqueen, Scyther, Dodrio, and Granbull threaten Jumpluff with hard-hitting attacks, especially on the switch in, which could cause force it to use Synthesis or pivot to something else a teammate (subjective change). However, they must be willing to risk being paralyzed or hit by Sleep Powder, especially if they don't have RestTalk or Heal Bell support.

**Ice-type Coverage Moves**: A lot of Pokemon run Ice-type coverage moves mainly due to the omnipresent omnipresence of Ground- and Flying-types Pokemon (use either "Flying-types" or "Flying-type Pokemon"; it's up to you as to which one to use) in the tier. Because of that, Jumpluff still needs to be careful Pokemon like Nidoqueen, Piloswine, Electabuzz, and Magneton,, as they are prime examples Magneton.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[deetah, 297659], [, ]]
GP 2/2
Implemented, thanks!

GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)