Gen 5 Jynx Offense [WON SMOGON CLASSIC FINALS]

Since I'm out of stour, I figured I'd RMT the team that I got the majority of my qualifying points from in BW. I was inspired to build this team after taking a closer look at what jynx can do, and the capabilities rain has with excadrill in the new era of BW.

NICKI MINAJ (Jynx) @ Leftovers
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam
- Substitute
- Lovely Kiss

I figured Jynx had a lot of potential in the rain ditto in BW as it has a sleep move, it heals 18.75% per turn, and it has one of the best mono attacking STABs in BW OU. Although Jynx doesn't have all of the merit that toxicroak has, it separates itself with deadly BW sleep and using mons like jellicent, rotom-w, gastrodon, and politoed as set-up fodder more easily than toxicroak can. Named after the queen, ofc.

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Encore
- Toxic

Politoed is necessary on any rain team, and scarf toed is my favorite set as Politoed's rain boosted surfs are pretty powerful despite its mediocre special attack, and encore is great to stop 'mons like subCM Rachi, Gliscor, or Reuniclus from setting up. It also has a neat speed tier, just outspeeding everything relevant at neutral speed. I opted for toxic as Jellicent/Gastro can be problematic for this team, and it's generally an initial undisputed switch-in to scarf toed.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Ice Punch

Azumarill is a cool rain abuser that destroys most offensive pokemon with rain boosted aqua jets. Waterfall has no trouble breaking pokemon like rotom-w or ferrothorn with a bit of softening. Azumarill is good because weatherless teams rarely have enough offensive water resists to take on azu ajet + scarftoed, and also because sand teams generally falter to azumarill. Double-edge can be used over superpower to hit fat toed, gastrodon, or gyarados, but superpower is generally preferred as the team has trouble with ferrothorn. One can even opt to use fling with iron ball>Superpower or IP, as it allows azu to do 90% to Jellicent. This is pretty gimmicky, but still, azu doesn't really need a choice band to hit hard as hell with waterfall. The lack of strong priority will hurt vs weatherless offense, though.

Latios @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Sleep Talk
- Surf
- Psyshock

Latios is crucial to the team as an offensive water resists and one of the best offensive Breloom checks one could use. Draco nukes a significant amount of the tier, and surf lets Latios do massive damage to common resistances like rachi. Latios also softens ttar, allowing Jynx and Politoed more breathing room. You can use hp fighting on latios to nuke ttar harder and provide some offensive pressure to Ferrothorn, but it's hard to give up rain-boosted surfs, and rolling hp fighting on sleep talk isn't optimal.

Jhene Aiko (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Thunder
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

A check to Latios and a rocker was necessary, so Jirachi fit the role perfectly. Thunder is really useful for paralyzing things, mostly helping Jynx set up, as Jynx can set up 12 subs in a row. Iron head helps Jirachi beat things like Reuniclus, and gain gradual lefties recovery. U-turn was chosen as my last slot because I don't like wish rachi without protect, and I felt as if the team didn't need Jirachi to heal anyway, but rather to take advantage of momentum and status things.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Excadrill was perfect for the last slot as it provides hazard control, an electric immunity, and a way to punish sand teams for setting their weather up. Sand teams tend to have nothing reliable to counter this behemoth, and excadrill also does surprisingly well vs rain stall. Air balloon allows it to set up on things like land-t or chomp, and is essential to maximize the match-up vs sand. It also turns subtox gliscor into complete set-up fodder. I've also used frustration on this to hit rotom-w as hard as possible, but I think the team fares well vs rotom-w, and being able to flinch and do more damage to Skarm/Land-t is more important imo.

Import:
NICKI MINAJ (Jynx) @ Leftovers
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam
- Substitute
- Lovely Kiss

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Encore
- Toxic

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Ice Punch

Latios @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sleep Talk
- Surf
- Psyshock

Jhene Aiko (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Thunder
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

When using this team, be sure to play carefully around Ferrothorn, as it walls the majority of the team. Paralyzing it makes it complete set-up fodder for Jynx, and teams rarely have a different initial switch-in to rachi, so be weary of this. If ferrothorn lacks a secondary STAB outside of gyro ball, it also loses to jynx, as it will get PP stalled by substitute. Otherwise, not too many things are super-threatening; sand balance can be difficult if they have Rotom-w or skarm, paired with something like gastro/jellicent, but the MU isn't that bad.

Replay: (smogon classic finals) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5ou-180701

S/o Afrabs, Wolfpack, Blunder, Soulwind, Anti, Sweep, Tesung, PDC, TDK, Teal, Finch, Shake, Alan, Dodmen, Kiyo, Amir, ABR, Scythe, SG, llamas, Posho, Rozes, Get Backer, Cosine, Cicada, Boudouche, Reymedy, Mcmeghan, Kevin, BP Deniss, FLCL, Tom Bus, Isa, BKC, CBB, Reiku, Tony Flygon, Ben gay, Sken, and any1 else I may be forgetting :P

And of course, shotuouts to Faji the great.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)