Gen 7 Kart + Gren + O-Tran Bulky Offense

Hey guys! I kinda made most of this team in my head in the shower, but that doesn't mean its any less fun to make or play with.

I wanted to build around the dual threat of Scarf Kartana and Ash-Greninja, two of the biggest threats in the tier imo, especially because they function as dual breakers and cleaners. This gives you many options for what endgame path you wanna take. I also wanted the team to work to pressure Toxapex, probably the best wall in the tier. Despite not having Volt-Turn on it, I think the team plays pretty good. Without further ado:

The Team: https://pokepast.es/1d4c15b81aad3a45

Teambuilding Process:

Greninja-Ash (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off

As I mentioned at the beginning, I wanted to build around these two. These are the two standard Scarf Kart and Ash-Greninja sets, nothing really unusual about it.

Early game with Greninja you Spike to wear down the switch ins and late game you get the Hydro Pumps and Dark Pulses off for the evolution into Ash-Greninja then you Water Shuriken through the rest of the team. It's very simple, it breaks for itself over the course of the game.

Kartana however, is so disgustingly strong that even with a Scarf set, it beats most of everything save a few mons- Tornadus-T, Zapdos, Mega Scizor, Celesteela, the Mega Latis and the rare Skarmory among them. Specifically for Kartana is why I added the next member of the team. It also really appreciates spikes support from Greninja in achieving those OHKOs and 2HKOs on the grounded bulky staples of the tier (like Toxapex).

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

A +2 Continental Crush absolutely nukes all those of Kartana checks as well as setting up rocks for the team. Rocks also hit all of those Kartana checks at least neutrally and hits Torn-T the by far most common mon of it's checks super-effectively. Landorus-T is just a really good pokemon in SM ( j like in all gens lmao) and this set is pretty standard, so there's not really too much more to explain here either. Landorus-T also scares out Toxapex with the threat of an Earthquake, keeping up the theme of this team.

Heatran @ Power Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Solar Beam

It may seem weird to have a Heatran, a mon that usually invites in Toxapex, on an anti-Toxapex team, but this is a trapper set, designed to trap and eliminate Toxapex, and other bulky waters such as Tapu-Fini and Rotom-Wash with Earth Power and Solar Beam respectively. Usually a Heatran like this would carry Grassium Z, but seeing as the team's Z move was already used up, that's not an option. This isn't an issue though, by replacing Grassium Z with a Power Herb, Heatran has a one time nuke Solar Beam that can OHKO Rotom-W and heavily chunk (59.4 - 69.9% ) Tapu-Fini, Greninja's best non Toxapex, non grass type counter, putting it in range of two hydro pumps/dark pulses from Greninja. With this Heatran you want to force the bulky water to switch into you so you can trap it with Magma Storm then assault it with the correct move, so try to bring it in on things it scares out like bulky grasses. Without Leftovers, Heatran is really easy to wear down, so be careful. Heatran also completes the Fire-Water-Grass core on this team.

-----To the Teambuilder-----

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
Hidden Power: Ice
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

WHAT?? AN ELECTRIC TYPE WITHOUT AN ICE MOVE??? I know, I know, it seems blasphemous, but hear me out; Zapdos fills a key defensive cornerstone on this team. It provides the team with Defog, pressures all of those Kartana checks, and pressures Toxapex. But why Zapdos, you might be saying? Why not Rotom-W, which is a great pivot in its own right, but Zapdos also crucially functions as a counter to all non Swords Dance Kartana sets, something that a lot of teams in the current meta really struggle to do, which is why Kartana is such a menace. Kartana, despite having nearly nonexistent special bulk, can eat a Discharge, so Heat Wave is really needed on this team. Heat Wave also slams Ferrothorn, another roadblock to Greninja's evolution. Defog is needed as it is the only hazard removal on this team. Roost is obviously needed or else Zapdos will fail to continue to check/counter threats like Kartana and Hawlucha throughout the course of a game, especially because of its Stealth Rock weakness. Unfortunately, this doesn't really leave room for Hidden Power Ice, however the ground types that switch in to Zapdos (Garchomp and Landorus-T) are scared out by other mons on the team like Greninja, Kartana and Landorus-T on a double switch. It leaves for some pretty wonky coverage, I know, but this kinda forces you to play more offensively, something you have to do manually with this team, because it lacks Volt-Turn.

Alternatively, you could use Volt Switch over Discharge to keep up momentum, but there's a few issues with that.

1 it doesn't do anything to the ground types switching in, which discharge doesn't do either, but at least you have a 30% chance to Paralyze everything else.

2 it doesn't do much to Toxapex, so it can just recover it off. This means you get to bring in Medicham or Landorus-T in for free though.

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

For the last slot, I really wasn't sure how to finish off the team. I wanted something to help break, while keeping up the anti-Toxapex theme, as well as something that can add pressure onto the Mega Latis, one of the other counters to Kartana that the rest of the team doesn't explicitly cover and Landorus-T and Zapdos can't pressure outside of status. Mega Medicham does this, while also pressuring all the Kartana checks. Mega Medicham has no true counters and it goes a long way to have a mon like this on a team like this, making the best use of the switches you get, because of no Volt-Turn. Mega Medicham also pressures Assault Vest Tangrowth, a major roadblock to both Greninja and Kartana. It also greatly benefits from Spikes support from Greninja.

Honestly, this slot is the most expendable even after the addition of Mega Medicham, I still wasn't sure if it was the right choice for this team.

Weaknesses:

As you can see this team has very little defensive backbone, so something like Ash-Greninja, Mega Alakazam, Scarf Lele and many other strong fast threats will tear through this team, however as the player you should play offensive enough to not let them in and you should be able to revenge kill them will Scarf Kartana.

Please let me know what y'all think of this team and how I can improve it.

Thanks,

Theleedler17

Hi! I'm here to rate your team.

positive points of the team:
You are right: :greninja-ash: and :kartana: are both huge threats in the OU metagame pressuring a lot of balance teams and giving you an edge against offensive teams with speed and priority. Moreover, offensive heatran with solar beam is a really good idea here, allowing you to eliminate bulky steel types and grass types such as :ferrothorn: and surprise bulky waters like :tapu-fini: and :rotom-wash: in order to open a path for :kartana: and :greninja-ash:.

issues:
As you said at the end of your post, the lack of defensive answers to most of the metagame threats is a huge issue: battle bond :greninja: is an absolute monster against you. You will just let it become :greninja-ash: and even if :kartana: can scare him right after, your opponent will just switch it and then come back and clean with water-shuriken.
While :heatran: solar beam is a really good idea, without grassium Z it will not OHKO :tapu-fini: at all...The Z gives it a push and allows :heatran: to get rid of bulky waters without taking extra damages.
Finally :medicham-mega: is not the best answer to :latios-mega: and :latias-mega:, these two mon are faster than :medicham-mega: and can kill you after a few stealth rock damage. Your offensive pressure is more than enough and a defensive mega would be better for sure.

The team I propose:
click me

major changes:
:zapdos:->:scizor-mega:->removing :medicham-mega:: Mega scizor will become your :kartana: answer instead of :zapdos: and has a lot more utility than :medicham-mega:: it adds a psychic resist and a useful u-turn to the team allowing you to pivot between your threats. Furthermore, it goes well with heatran absorbing fire attacks for it and :scizor-mega: can pressure the laties as well.

:sm/scizor-mega:
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- U-turn

Introducing :tapu-bulu:: use it as your :greninja-ash: answer. Its ability grassy surge activates the grassy terrain halving the damage from earthquake and therefore helping heatran against ground types such as :landorus-therian: and :garchomp:. Finally, the grassy terrain will boost your Z solar beam damage destroying :alakazam-mega: and :garchomp: on the switch (many :alakazam-mega: think they can switch into heatran by copying flash fire). Protect is here to scout the move of choice locked pokemon like :kartana: and protean :greninja:.

:sm/tapu-bulu:
Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

- Protect

minor changes:
:landorus-therian:: because the Z move is on :heatran: and removing :zapdos: left you without a defog user, I chose to give the scarf to :landorus-therian:, giving you a better matchup against :tapu-koko: and :medicham-mega:. It completes your volturn core with :scizor-mega:.

:sm/landorus-therian:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 232 Atk / 68 Def / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

- Defog

:kartana:: because I chose :landorus-therian: scarf and want to use the damage boost of the grassy terrain I gave it the choice band. This thing hits incredibly hard. This set is also here to really pressure :toxapex:, something that the scarf wasn't able to do in a short time. In terrain you are sure to 2HKO :zapdos: with leaf blade after stealth rock damage (if you are not scared of static of course).

:sm/kartana:
Kartana @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword

- Smart Strike

:heatran:: gave it the Grassium Z and replaced flash cannon with stealth rock. flash cannon doesn't give you any coverage or advantages because magma storm and earth power can already cover a lot of pokemon

:sm/heatran:
Heatran @ Grassium Z
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam

- Stealth Rock

Hope you will enjoy the team :) and don't hesitate to respond or ask questions!
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- U-turn

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Protect

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam
- Stealth Rock

Kartana @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Defog

Last edited:
Hi! I'm here to rate your team.

positive points of the team:
You are right: :greninja-ash: and :kartana: are both huge threats in the OU metagame pressuring a lot of balance teams and giving you an edge against offensive teams with speed and priority. Moreover, offensive heatran with solar beam is a really good idea here, allowing you to eliminate bulky steel types and grass types such as :ferrothorn: and surprise bulky waters like :tapu-fini: and :rotom-wash: in order to open a path for :kartana: and :greninja-ash:.

issues:
As you said at the end of your post, the lack of defensive answers to most of the metagame threats is a huge issue: battle bond :greninja: is an absolute monster against you. You will just let it become :greninja-ash: and even if :kartana: can scare him right after, your opponent will just switch it and then come back and clean with water-shuriken.
While :heatran: solar beam is a really good idea, without grassium Z it will not OHKO :tapu-fini: at all...The Z gives it a push and allows :heatran: to get rid of bulky waters without taking extra damages.
Finally :medicham-mega: is not the best answer to :latios-mega: and :latias-mega:, these two mon are faster than :medicham-mega: and can kill you after a few stealth rock damage. Your offensive pressure is more than enough and a defensive mega would be better for sure.

The team I propose:
click me

major changes:
:zapdos:->:scizor-mega:->removing :medicham-mega:: Mega scizor will become your :kartana: answer instead of :zapdos: and has a lot more utility than :medicham-mega:: it adds a psychic resist and a useful u-turn to the team allowing you to pivot between your threats. Furthermore, it goes well with heatran absorbing fire attacks for it and :scizor-mega: can pressure the laties as well.

:sm/scizor-mega:
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- U-turn

Introducing :tapu-bulu:: use it as your :greninja-ash: answer. Its ability grassy surge activates the grassy terrain halving the damage from earthquake and therefore helping heatran against ground types such as :landorus-therian: and :garchomp:. Finally, the grassy terrain will boost your Z solar beam damage destroying :alakazam-mega: and :garchomp: on the switch (many :alakazam-mega: think they can switch into heatran by copying flash fire). Protect is here to scout the move of choice locked pokemon like :kartana: and protean :greninja:.

:sm/tapu-bulu:
Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

- Protect

minor changes:
:landorus-therian:: because the Z move is on :heatran: and removing :zapdos: left you without a defog user, I chose to give the scarf to :landorus-therian:, giving you a better matchup against :tapu-koko: and :medicham-mega:. It completes your volturn core with :scizor-mega:.

:sm/landorus-therian:
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

- Defog

:kartana:: because I chose :landorus-therian: scarf and want to use the damage boost of the grassy terrain I gave it the choice band. This thing hits incredibly hard. This set is also here to really pressure :toxapex:, something that the scarf wasn't able to do in a short time. In terrain you are sure to 2HKO :zapdos: with leaf blade after stealth rock damage (if you are not scared of static of course).

:sm/kartana:
Kartana @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword

- Smart Strike

:heatran:: gave it the Grassium Z and replaced flash cannon with stealth rock. flash cannon doesn't give you any coverage or advantages because magma storm and earth power can already cover a lot of pokemon

:sm/heatran:
Heatran @ Grassium Z
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam

- Stealth Rock

Hope you will enjoy the team :) and don't hesitate to respond or ask questions!
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- U-turn

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Protect

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam
- Stealth Rock

Kartana @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Defog
About the Heatran Power Herb vs Z Move, while, yes it doesn’t ohko Tapu Fini, I really don’t feel like that Bloom Doom Solar Beam is needed compared to the benefits of Continental Crush. Tapu Fini takes a massive amount from Power Herb Solar Beam and Magma Storm together, so much so that it no longer works as a Greninja switch in, which is the point of the set. Like I said +2 Continental Crush nukes those Kart checks, save the Mega Latis. I would like to keep Flash Cannon because it makes my Heatran the only thing that can scare out Tapu Lele, something that this Scizor can’t really do because Bullet Punch is blocked by Psychic Terrain. I guess the Lele could just stay in for crit fishing while you keep roosting though. In addition, Mega Scizor is dead to a Tapu Lele that carries HP Fire over Focus Blast, so I think that having that backup, can’t hurt.

Mega Scizor was a mon that I was considering for the team for the last slot, but decided against because it stacks fire weaknesses, putting a lot of pressure on Heatran as the team’s sole fire resistance (Greninja doesn’t really count). However, I can see its talents are needed here.

Tapu Bulu is really a trouble child in my eyes. I really don’t like any set that’s not either banded or SD Z move and I feel like it is overshadowed both offensively and defensively by other grass types. For an offensive grass, I’d just rather use Kartana or Serperior, and for a defensive grass I’d rather use Ferrothorn or Assault Vest Tangrowth. So I am going to say, instead of Tapu Bulu here, let's go with Tapu Fini. This way there isn’t the added pressure of switching into fire moves off of Heatran. It also covers Ash-Greninja and can Defog for the team. Also another thing I kept in mind when building this team was to not make it go in the grass spam direction, so that’s another reason I cut out Bulu.

So at the end of my changes, here’s the team:

https://pokepast.es/8f4eed8f6532fbcd

What do u think about this one??

(PS How do u get the sprites and 3D models into ur article, I've always wondered)

Thanks
-Theleedler17

To introduce a sprite in your post, write :pokemonname: and for the 3D models :gen/pokemonname: (for example :sm/pokemonname:)

Now to your propositions :
I don't understand why you don't want to remove :tapu-fini: immediately in one turn, therefore taking the risk to give it recovery while missing hydropump with :greninja:.
I still think that :tapu-bulu: is the best option here but :tapu-fini: is I think the best alternative since you chose lando Z and didn't have a defog user. However removing :tapu-bulu: let you with a huge weakness to :tapu-koko:...A solution could be to use bulky waters immune to electric attacks like :gastrodon:. I'm not too fond of :gastrodon: because it is very passive-and leaves you without a defog user-but it gives you an heatran switch in and it is a great check to :greninja-ash:.
Because :scizor-mega: is your best answer against tapu lele and you feel that it is too passive against it, you can run knock off instead of u-turn (it kill at +2 and greatly reduce lele's power).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)