Kingambit [QC 0/1]

1671686392201.png

[OVERVIEW]

* Kingambit is undoubtedly a VGC all-star thanks to its high BST, great stat distribution, amazing defensive typing, unique movepool, powerful abilities, and versatility.

* This flexibility makes Kingambit a quality option both to support and dismantle common strategies like Trick Room.

* Kingambit fits easily onto many teams. Its Defiant ability lets it scare off opposing Intimidate users, meaning it pairs well with other physical attackers. Its typing complements many Pokemon well and is able to switch in to absorb attacks easily. Ghost- and Flying- types will return the favor for Kingambit with their respective Fighting and Ground immunities. Pelipper's Drizzle neutralizes Kingambit's Fire weakness, making rain teams a good home for Kingambit.

* In exchange for raw power, Kingambit struggles with its 4x weakness to Fighting as well as its weakness to common coverage types in Fire and Ground. While Terastallizing is an effective method of undercutting this weakness, doing so (and losing out on the otherwise great Dark/Steel typing) is not always in Kingambit's interest.

* Kingambit's low Speed is overall a positive, as it becomes a deadly Trick Room Pokemon while also functioning well against faster teams thanks to STAB Sucker Punch.

[SET]

name: Assault Vest
move 1: Kowtow Cleave
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Iron Head
move 4: Brick Break / Low Kick / Tera Blast
item: Assault Vest
ability: Defiant / Supreme Overlord
nature: Adamant
tera type: Dark / Flying / Water / Fairy
evs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe

* Kowtow Cleave is Kingambit's signature move and is far more reliable damage than any other Dark-type attack. Sucker Punch is Kingambit's main offensive tool, as the priority compensates for Kingambit's low Speed.

* Tera Blast can be used to customize Kingambit's offensive matchups. Only a handful of Pokemon in the meta resist Kingambit's STAB combination, and all of them save opposing Kingambit are weak to Flying.

* Assault Vest, even without any special investment, survives nearly every neutral attack in the meta as well as some super effective ones like Hydreigon's Heat Wave and Sylveon's Fire-type Tera Blast. Kingambit's naturally good physical bulk ensures the same is true on that side, surviving such attacks as Choice Band Garchomp's Earthquake.

* Although Defiant is a helpful ability in keeping teammates safe from Intimidate, Supreme Overlord provides a reliable boost to damage in the late game and should be considered for teams low on physical threats.

* 4 Speed EVs still allow Kingambit to underspeed minimum Speed Armarouge for Trick Room purposes while outspeeding every other uninvested Pokemon with 50 or lower base Speed. Speed can instead be minimized if Kingambit is itself on a Trick Room team.

* Tera Dark is a fine option, both offensively for greatly improving Sucker Punch damage and defensively for removing the Fire and Ground weaknesses. Tera Flying allows Kingambit to turn the tables on Fighting- and Ground- types like Hariyama and Garchomp. Tera Water vastly improves Kingambit's staying power against Armarouge and Torkoal. Tera Fairy performs similarly to Flying with the upside of hitting Dragon- and Dark- types like Hydreigon and Murkrow much harder than it would otherwise.

name: Swords Dance
move 1: Sucker Punch
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Swords Dance
move 4: Protect
item: Life Orb / Sitrus Berry
ability: Defiant
nature: Adamant
tera type: Dark
evs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Swords Dance boosted Sucker Punch deals absurd damage and any Pokemon without notable bulk or a Dark resistance is likely OHKO'd.

* Kingambit performs its role well with most items; Life Orb, Sitrus Berry, Figy Berry, Chople Berry, Weakness Policy, and Safety Goggles are just a few examples.

* Kingambit is quite multifaceted and its moveset, held item, EV spread, and Tera Type can all be adjusted to complement any team.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[username, user ID]]
- Quality checked by: [[username, user ID]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username, user ID]]

Last edited:
Fairy tera should be added imo, Snow did well with it in Liberty Note and i've been seeing it a lot. Also are u sure Sitrus Berry is relevant enough to be mentioned? I have yet to see it. Seen more Weakness Policy than it tbh.

Fairy tera should be added imo, Snow did well with it in Liberty Note and i've been seeing it a lot. Also are u sure Sitrus Berry is relevant enough to be mentioned? I have yet to see it. Seen more Weakness Policy than it tbh.
What's the main upside to it over flying? I saw a bit of usage on pikalytics

Out of the items I mentioned I think life orb and sitrus are the best offensively and defensively but as far as popularity I think I've seen goggles over all but orb actually

What's the main upside to it over flying? I saw a bit of usage on pikalytics

Out of the items I mentioned I think life orb and sitrus are the best offensively and defensively but as far as popularity I think I've seen goggles over all but orb actually
Keeping the Dragon resist is a pretty big deal and since Kingambit normally resists poison and steel its really annoying to predict. + Fairy is just generally a better defensive typing than Flying. Also means that if you run it Terablast hits Garchomp, Hydreigon, Murkrow etc.

Also i think if you want a defensive item on Kingambit it should just be the AV set and that the Swords Dance set should be paired with LO but that could just be me. (Or possibly Black Glasses now i think about it)

Also i think if you want a defensive item on Kingambit it should just be the AV set and that the Swords Dance set should be paired with LO but that could just be me. (Or possibly Black Glasses now i think about it)
It's just a lot like ttar where you can kinda run anything and it's nuts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)