Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
OP stolen from DTC
Approved by frog user, macle
Run by superior users Lord Alphose and Mambo

Survival of the Fittest

What is This?

Welcome to Little Cup's Survival of the Fittest. In this interactive project, there are two teams pitted against each other. You have to try to figure out which team has a better chance of winning against the other team. There are multiple factors you should consider when trying to figure out which team has a better chance of winning, including but not limited to weaknesses to opposing Pokemon, ease in prediction, and dependency on luck factors.

This will also work like a "Battle of the Week" of sorts. While the rounds are taking place, people may nominate players to battle against each other with one of the two teams. Post which player you would like to see battle in this thread, but that post must have other content otherwise it is null and void. If you do not have a chance to make a post with sufficient content, you may VM me or Mambo with your nomination. A week after the last set of teams was posted, a poll that will last two days will be put up with the nominated players. After that ends, the two teams will battle and then the cycle will repeat.

Point System

There will be a point system involved in this. Whoever has the most points whenever I decide to close or suspend this project wins. If you win, you will earn a spot in the Hall of Fame. There may be some other goodies down the line for you as well, including but not limited to a date with Rowan.

How to get points:
  • Predict which team is going to win right.
  • Be one of the battlers and win the battle.
  • Win the subjective "master debater" award.

All of those reward you one point each.

If you consistently get jipped out of points because of luck, deal with it.

Master Debater Award

Whoever makes the most convincing arguments in any given week will win the best debater award. If you win this award, you will be granted a point. Do note that this award is subjective, and that Mambo and I are the only ones who decide.

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Both teams shamelessly stolen from the Team Shop.

Doduo @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
Level: 5
EVs: 236 Atk / 240 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 11 HP / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- Return
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Fletchling
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 156 HP / 200 Atk / 92 Def / 40 SpA / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Overheat
- Swords Dance

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 148 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 10 Spe
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 76 Atk / 116 Def / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

Porygon @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

Gothita @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 116 Def / 236 SpA / 156 Spe
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Pancham @ Eviolite
EVs: 140 HP / 180 Atk / 100 Def / 52 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Parting Shot

Fletchling
Naughty Nature
- U-turn
- Overheat
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance

Magnemite @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Endure
- Recycle

Drilbur @ Eviolite
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Chinchou @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 52 Def / 232 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt

Recap of what your responses should entail:
- Decision on what team will win
- Solid, detailed reasoning and evidence that supports your decision
- Nominations for the two players who will use the teams (designate which player will use which team)

Last edited:
Team 2 will win because Team 1 was built by a bad player, it has a huge Gothita weakness, and the main win condition (Fletchling) will have a very hard time sweeping past the endure Magnemite. The Pancham is just slow enough where Mienfoo won't be able to slow U-Turn against it, meaning Doduo will have a very hard time switching in. Doduo also is not carrying Quick Attack, meaning Gothita will be just that much more troublesome. I feel Team 1 may have a shot at winning this if Pancham is sacked because of generally being dead weight against Team 1 and Magnemite is Knock Off'd or dead so that Porygon can beat basically everything on Team 2, but this is made even harder because Gothita can guaranteed remove its item. Basically, I think the game will come down to how well the Gothita is played with the match up favoring Team 2.

I'd like Heysup to play team 2 and trash to play team 1 so I'm right
Give Fizz team 1 and Alphose team 2 :]

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
Gonna have to go with the 1st team, it has bird offense and it has answers to both of the other team bird checks, who can also be worn down by the birds, chinchou without evio is frail and a well timed knock off to magnemite from doduo means it cant recycle his berry juice, so just playing safely with the support of the volt-turn core can mean that the 2nd team can be more easily worn down as it doesnt has a glue like porygon on the first team, so playing smart and predicting obvs switches like panda vs porygon can mean that you can pressure the 2nd team until you win :toast:
BTW give heysup team 1 hawkstar team 2 i guess oO

Last edited:
First :
(Team 2)
Gothita @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 116 Def / 236 SpA / 156 Spe
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

He can revenge kill/trap with some good predictions Mienfoo , Dodrio , Drilbur (if low hp enough).
Trick is very important , because if he uses trick on Team2's Chinchou , he will be almost useless for the rest of the battle.
Very very important mon in this match-up.

Second :
(Team 2)
Pancham @ Eviolite
EVs: 140 HP / 180 Atk / 100 Def / 52 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Parting Shot

Team 1 will struggle against him , he can remove Eviolite on each Team1's mons . It realy matter when you want to wallbreak.
Team 1 has no real good switch-in for him .

Third :
(Team 2)
Chinchou @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 52 Def / 232 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt

HP Ground will surprise opponent's Chinchou and maybe destroy him when he comes on the field (maybe 2HKO didnt calc yet).
He is a good answer to Fletchling ( same for both team but i prefer the scarf one ).

But :
Team 1 have some hopes .

Fletchling
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Overheat
- Swords Dance

He realy needs Magnemite and Chinchou down to start sweeping Team 2 .
But it will be hard because i dont see how he can kill Magnemite with his set.

Porygon @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

He can do a lot of job on the ennemy team , but he needs his Eviolite or to not get Tricked to be useful .

Winner : I think in most of scenarios Team 2 win the match .

Vileman on team 1 , macle on team 2 .​

Team one will in all likelihood win. Team two can't remotely handle Chinchou without risking a lot of momentum losses. Water Absorb Scarfchou is awful, and publicly displaying it ruins any point to it. Team one may be weak to Goth, but frankly team two relies on it too much and will constantly be subject to losing either it or something else in the 50/50s.

Pancham won't win matchups when it's crippled by mienfoo. Knock Off+ Hjk will definitely hurt it lol, exposing it to being heavy hits from everything else on the team.

Overall, being goth weak means Jack if your opponent's win condition is walled by the same mon that they're incredibly weak to. Team two faces too much pressure from pretty much any mon on team one, and can only nail team one with Gothita, which isn't cut out for doing that.

I wanna see Prem vs Rowan tbh. I won't designate a team because it's too easy to stack the deck.

Last edited:

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
team one wins

doduo gets past everything

pory stops chinch from getting momentum

team two gets worn down easier

only way team one loses is by bad play

i wanna see iss vs Hawkstar

MushMunkey

Banned deucer.
For beginners out of the two teams we were given my friend and I have come to the conclusion that Team 2 will win in this scenario because Team 1 lacks bulky Pokémon and fighting type checks. Let's start with why Team 1 will always lose in this scenario. Team 1 has no safe switch in to Drilbur. You all reading this and may be wondering "What are you saying idiot porygon walls Drilbur" in most scenarios I would agree, but with these two particular teams after rocks Drilbur is almost guaranteed a kill. You bring porygon in on Drilbur and you take this much 236 Atk Mold Breaker Drilbur Earthquake vs. 236 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Porygon: 9-12 (34.6 - 46.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock. Forces you to click recover making it harder for you to keep switching in on this Drilbur. I could easily predict your recover and switch into my Mienfoo or any fighting type for that matter. Another problem Team 1 has a extreme problem with dealing with Mienfoo, Timber, Pancham or any fighting type for that matter. Team 1 has no solid switch ins on Mienfoos Hjk and Panchams Drain Punch / Knock Off combo obliterates Team 1 since it has no solid switch ins to that. Timber has its bulk up set making it very hard to revenge kill. Team 1 almost forces you to sack something once a fighting type comes in. Team 2 wins in this scenario

If you think my post is bad I'm sorry I'm just getting into LC but so far with my understanding of the tier this is what I could make. :]

Reactions: OP

Team 2's Gothita
Team 1 has a glaring Gothita weakness. Gothita can basically net a KO on 5 Pokemon, a few after some prior damage, and Gothita can rob Porygon's Eviolite with Trick, greatly lowering its defensive potential against Team 2. It's also worth noting that Doduo doesn't carry Quick Attack, so once Doduo comes in, it's basically Gothita bait. Also, Pancham does a great job at giving Gothita free switch-ins with Parting Shot, so you're not even forced to lose a team member to bring Gothita in.

Team 2's Pancham
Pancham really supports Team 2 very well. Parting Shot gives Gothita and Scarf Chinchou easy switch-ins, which is really nice since their offensive presence really threatens Team 1. Also, Pancham's bulk allows it to spread Knock Offs, which can take away from the Pokemon's bulk or power. Not to mention that Pancham is a safe switch into Porygon, which would plague Team 2 otherwise.

Team 2's Drilbur
Drilbur is another important asset to ensure Team 2's victory in most scenarios. Each one of Drilbur's moves pretty much aid Team 2 in the best way possible; let's start with Earthquake. Earthquake is Drilbur's main STAB. It OHKOes Team 1's Chinchou and always 2HKOes Team 1's Porygon after Stealth Rock once it has lost its Eviolite or has gotten a bit of prior damage, which is almost guaranteed, considering that Porygon is a good answer to most of Team 2's attackers. Stealth Rock GREATLY supports Team 2. That is a fact. Stealth Rock helps weaken Fletchling and Doduo, as well as making Porygon easier to knock out. Rock Slide provides a move to hit both Doduo and Fletchling, so you're not set up bait for Fletchling and/or bait for Doduo to come in and get a kill, and Rapid Spin provides a safe way to remove hazards from your side of the field, since Team 1 has no spinblocker.

Team 2's Chinchou
Chinchou can aid Team 2 well if you use it right. Chinchou punishes any Drilbur lead first-turn and KOes with Hydro Pump. Also, since Chinchou is Water Absorb, Chinchou can freely spam Volt Switch and Thunderbolt with no worries of being wrecked by Team 1's Trace Porygon. A fast Thunderbolt provides Team 2 with an amazing check to Team 1's bird spam. Also, once Porygon's Eviolite is gone (which isn't going to be hard to do), Chinchou has a 60% chance to 2HKO a full HP Porygon (which is going to be rare considering that Porygon is going to weakened some way or another) after Stealth Rock.

Team 2's Magnemite
Magnemite is Team 2's most reliable check to Team 1's bird spam. Berry Juice and Recycle spam allows Magnemite to stay healthy throughout the game, and since the only Knock Off users are Mienfoo (something you get scared out by nontheless) and Doduo, your recovery isn't really going to be taken away without Team 1 sacking their Doduo. Anyways, Magnemite provides some easy momentum for Team 2, as well as more chances to switch in Gothita.

Team 2's Fletchling
Fletchling is Team 2's set up sweeper. Fletchling has a really nice match-up against Team 1 since Team 1's RestTalk Chinchou is trapped by Gothita, killed by Drilbur, and knocked off by Pancham, so Chinchou is easily worn down. Other than Chinchou, Team 1's answer is Porygon, which, again, easily loses her Eviolite, making her have a 75% chance to be OHKOed by Fletchling's +2 itemless Acrobatics. Swords Dance won't be too hard to set up, either. Mienfoo is set up bait if Stealth Rock isn't up and Fletchling is at full, because High Jump Kick does 95% maximum, leading into a Fletchling sweep if Chinchou is weakened.

Because of this, I think that Team 2 would beat Team 1 in most scenarios, unless Team 2 makes a bad play or gets haxed.

Nominating apt-get (team one) against Heysup (team two).​

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, the time for final voting is upon us. Here are your options:
From this point on, you still can post which team you think will win and your reasoning for why you think that team is going to win. More points are available through your logic and reasoning than through actually playing in the battle. Also, if you are going to make a vote on who you want to battle with these teams, be sure to bold it at the top of your post so that I don't miss it while counting. At this point, you can post who you want to play, who you think will win, or both.

People who got nommed, if you can't play, talk to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)