SM OU "Let's Hope This Works" - A team made by someone that just returned to pokemon after ORAS.

Let's Hope This Works: The OU Team (Peaked at 1400 because I'm bad and lazy)

Introduction

Hey everyone, it's been a while! Last time I wrote a RMT, it kind of flew under the radar (not to mention that the team sucked, but was at least slightly interesting), so I decided to give it another shot! This time, with a (hopefully) much better team, one that can actually be used to climb the ladder. After learning how much the meta shifted, I got some inspiration, and built some pretty bad teams. After a certain core in the USUM Cores thread caught my eye, I decided to try one more time. That time, it worked. You're probably bored with this story, so let's just get right into the team.

Teambuilding Process:

I wanted to make a team around this core that I saw in the USUM Cores thread. M-Medicham is a very good physical wallbreaker, especially considering that both Mew and Sableye are not very common in ladder at the moment. Ash-Greninja complements M-Medicham by wearing down its checks like Mew and other Psychic-Types with Specs-boosted Dark Pulse and setting up spikes, while M-Medicham eliminates Tangrowth, Magearna, Chansey, and other special walls/ AV users. All of this is condensed in two slots out of six, so we still have a lot of room left on the team.

As soon as I found out that Volcarona was viable, I wanted to use it. Outside of favouritism, it forms 2/3s of a Fire, Water, Grass core, and is the teams only set up sweeper, pretty much destroying anything not named Chansey after a single boost.

Kartana offers a lot to the team. Depending on the situation, it can be used as a sweeper, a cleaner, or a revenge killer, roles that it can execute with no problem when equipped with the right moveset. It also carries Defog, which is mandatory on a team with Volcarona. Finally, it completes the Fire, Water, Grass core mentioned previously.

Tapu Lele is here to deal with Dragon-types, mostly. Packed with Choice Specs, not many things can handle the destructive power of it's moves. It forms a good core with Ash-Greninja and M-Medicham as well, as Tapu Lele and Ash Greninja share some checks and counters that can be removed by M-Medicham, while assisting with the wallbreaking, which gives Ash-Greninja the chance to turn into an unstoppable late-game threat

Finally, Landorus-T offers Stealth Rock support; a check to Kartana, who would otherwise destroy the team; and a slow pivot to bring in one of the harder-hitting Pokémon. It can also duel with Toxapex, and either win or severely weaken it.

I have since decided to replace Tapu Lele with Zapdos, as it helps the team's matchup VS the infamous KokoLucha core, and provides a solid combination of coverage.

Sets:

Medicham-Mega (M) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

This is a pretty standard Medicham set. Fake Out gives you some reliable chip damage. This can be replaced by Bullet Punch if you so wish, as it helps take out Fairy-types that would otherwise force Medicham out, especifically Diancie. HJK and Zen Headbutt form the STAB combo, with HJK usually being the riskier option due to it's recoil damage if you miss. Don't use this move when there's a Ghost-type on the enemy team, or if you're facing a Pokémon that could have Protect. Zen Headbutt has the 20% flinch chance, which can tip the scales in some matchups. Ice Punch destroys Landorus-T, even after Intimidate. This makes it a good counter lead if you predict your opponent is opening with his Lando.

Greninja (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Ash-Greninja is an amazing Pokémon, so much so that people don't care about not having Protean on their Greninja. Hydro Pump is the choice for a potent, albeit unreliable, Water-type STAB move. Dark Pulse runs through any Psychic-type and severely damages anything that doesn't resist it. Water Shuriken provides priority and some consistent damage after Battle Bond triggers. Don't use this move when Psychic Terrain is up. Considering how many switches it forces, Ash-Greninja has a lot of opportunities to set up Spikes. This also opens up the possibility for double-switches.

Volcarona (M) @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Pretty much another bog standard set. Quiver Dance is one of the best stat-boosting moves available in OU, and Volcarona takes advantage of it to fire off the power STAB combo of Fire Blast and Bug Buzz. We're running Buginium Z for when Bug Buzz doesn't cut it, as after a boost, very few things can tank a Savage Spin-Out. I chose HP Ground over Psychic and Psychium Z as I needed to deal with Heatran without switching out.

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Defog

Kartana is possibly the second most flexible Mon in the OU meta, right behind Landorus-T. When scarfed, it is the tiers premier revenge-killer, and has some staying power due to Beast Boost increasing its Attack Stat to ridiculous levels. Leaf Blade and Smart Strike have almost perfect coverage, hitting everything in the tier at least neutrally. Sacred Sword eliminates Heatran, Chansey, and any other mon that would otherwise wall and KO Kartana. Defog is necessary due to Volcarona's Rock weakness.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heat Wave
- Roost

The addition of Zapdos allows the team to deal with Kokolucha, relieving Landorus out of that role. In order for this to happen, I decided to replace Tapu Lele, because while it had good nuke potential, in my testing it didn't do much that the other Mons couldn't already do. On the other hand, Zapdos helps a lot on the defensive side, something that the team needed. However, this switch forces a playstyle change too: Now that we're running two defensive mons, our game plan is slower. In my testing, this has worked out fine.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- U-turn

Last, but definitely not least, OU's best Pokémon, Landorus-T. I decided on the defensive set because even though this is a very offensive team, I could use a blanket check for physical attackers not packing Ice-type moves such as Hawlucha. I also wanted a slow pivot to safely bring in M-Medicham. Stealth Rock chips away at the enemy team, and is a big problem for Mons like Charizard, Volcarona, and Hawlucha. Earthquake is the chosen STAB move simply because it's reliable and hits hard. We're running HP Ice to help fighting other Landorus-T. Remember that if the opposing Landorus is scarfed, you'll have to predict the switch to get the kill. U-turn is used to get momentum rolling by bringing in a hard-hitting Mon.

Conclusion:
I believe that's everything covered! This team rekindled my love for the Pokémon series, especifically while building it. After I found out it was doing well, I also regained my competitive spirit in this game, and decided to see how far I could peak. I'm currently very busy, but peaked at 1400, which might not be much, but is my all-time high in the 3+ years I've had a Showdown account. I'm very open to suggestions though, and will definitely try them all out.

Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Defog

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- U-turn

Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Defog

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Last edited:
This is a pretty cool team, especially from someone who wasn't playing for a while
But there are a couple of things I would recommend
Mainly giving Landorus Toxic over Hidden Power Ice

Your team really struggles with Koko-Lucha seeing as it can basically pull off a sweep as soon as it gets going, and almost nothing on your team can stop it. Landorus is usually set-up fodder for Hawlucha, but Toxic puts in on a timer, which can help put Hawlucha in Ash-Greninja range with Water Shuriken. Your team doesn't stand too much to lose from not having Hidden Power Ice seeing as basically all the rest of your mons force out Landorus , and the ability to pivot into your semi-fragile mons is too useful to give up. If you really need to manhandle Hawlucha though, give Landorus Protect over U-turn as well, but I wouldn't recommend it seeing as you need U-turn to be able pivot into Medicham.

This is a pretty cool team, especially from someone who wasn't playing for a while
But there are a couple of things I would recommend
Mainly giving Landorus Toxic over Hidden Power Ice

Your team really struggles with Koko-Lucha seeing as it can basically pull off a sweep as soon as it gets going, and almost nothing on your team can stop it. Landorus is usually set-up fodder for Hawlucha, but Toxic puts in on a timer, which can help put Hawlucha in Ash-Greninja range with Water Shuriken. Your team doesn't stand too much to lose from not having Hidden Power Ice seeing as basically all the rest of your mons force out Landorus , and the ability to pivot into your semi-fragile mons is too useful to give up. If you really need to manhandle Hawlucha though, give Landorus Protect over U-turn as well, but I wouldn't recommend it seeing as you need U-turn to be able pivot into Medicham.

Hey, thanks for the reply, compliment, and suggestion! I will for sure be trying out Toxic on Lando-T. That's something I never even considered, but sounds great.

Hey everyone! I've updated the team and sets used!

- Added Toxic over HP Ice on Landorus-T (Thanks to stuuful12 for the suggestion!)

I am currently testing Zapdos over Tapu Lele, and will add that change in if it works out. (Thanks to WCI on Showdown for the suggestion!)

Hey everyone! I've updated the team and sets used!

- Added Toxic over HP Ice on Landorus-T (Thanks to stuuful12 for the suggestion!)

I am currently testing Zapdos over Tapu Lele, and will add that change in if it works out. (Thanks to WCI on Showdown for the suggestion!)
Just as a side note, if you add Zapdos to the team, then you should change Toxic back to Hidden Power Ice as Zapdos would become the counter to Hawlucha.

Hey looks really cool team. if I'd build a team then it'd look like this however the problem is your Lando set. Your team looks much more offensive but then.... Defensive Lando holds it back. I suggest you to run scarf defog Lando over kart and metronome mamoswine as a rocker. Mamo will help you set up rocks almost everytime as it can pressure so many deffogers mainly zapdos and also it will give you a secondary Koko check. This also gives you ice shard priority which is very useful Vs lucha

Hey looks really cool team. if I'd build a team then it'd look like this however the problem is your Lando set. Your team looks much more offensive but then.... Defensive Lando holds it back. I suggest you to run scarf defog Lando over kart and metronome mamoswine as a rocker. Mamo will help you set up rocks almost everytime as it can pressure so many deffogers mainly zapdos and also it will give you a secondary Koko check. This also gives you ice shard priority which is very useful Vs lucha
Hey, thanks for the suggestion! I'll be trying this out, but do you have the metronome Mamoswine set you've suggested? I've never seen that. Also, wouldn't Sash Lead fit better?

Mamoswine @ Metronome
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard

Here's the set in question. The main problem with Sash Lead is that it leaves Mamoswine to weak to achieve anything else of note for the rest of battle. With Metronome, you can just spam icicle crash and earthquake to achieve the K.Os that you want. Of course, if you accept Mamoswine as a rocker, you have to be prepared to aggressively switch into Tapu Lele or Landorus on Scizors, and Volcarona on Ferrothorn assuming Stealth Rock isn't up. ( as a side note, if you switch volcarona in on a ferrothorn and its not late game, you should just try to wall break, not set up and sweep)

Of course, if you find Lando more valuable as a defensive pokemon, the use it.

Hello again, everyone! I've made one final update to the team.

- Added Zapdos over Tapu Lele. (Thanks to WCI for the suggestion!)

Zapdos helps with the KokoLucha matchup, and allows us to once again run HP Ice on Landorus-T over Toxic. While Tapu Lele was occasionally useful and formed a good secondary core with Ash-Greninja, Zapdos's defensive abilities bolstered the team, giving it a better chance of success.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)