XY OU Let's Trap Sh*t! (1640 on OU ladder)

This is a pretty simple team, I liked Mega Gyarados's massive attack and wanted to take advantage of its sweeping ability with Intimidate so I built around it.

The Lead
upload_2015-1-6_12-17-41.png

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb

Breloom is maybe my favorite lead ever. Excellent base 130 attack, access to the most reliable sleep move in the game, great ability and technician with STAB priority to boot. What's not to like? Well for one thing, Breloom is useless against teams with Ferrothorn and Mega Venusaur, as they laugh off Brelooms attacks and either break his sash with Rocky Helmet (Ferro) or 2HKO him with Sludge Bomb (Venusaur). In addition, Breloom dislikes facing defensive Mandibuzz who can take a Rock Tomb and Toxic Stall him. Well, I found that all the above pokemon are easily taken care of by my trappers.

upload_2015-1-6_12-21-35.png

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ground]
Gothitelle's main perk is her ability, Shadow Tag. She's perhaps the best answer for stall teams, crippling Chansey with Trick, 2HKOing Skarmory and Mega Slowbro with Thunderbolt and Heatran with HP Ground, and also crippling utilities. She works especially well with Breloom and Mega Gyarados, taking out all of their threats and then giving them a chance to sweep. Psychic OHKOs Defensive Venusaur, and Thunderbolt OHKOs Mega Slowbro if he doesn't have a CM up.

upload_2015-1-6_12-24-42.png

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Meet my other trapper. Aside from the awesome base 130 Special Attack and Volt Switch, Magnezone outspeeds 0 Spe Mega Scizor and OHKOs him, as well as taking care of Ferrothorn who otherwise would be problematic. He also provides a switch into Lati@s, and defeats +6 Atk Azumarill with Thunderbolt (although he cannot switch into her).

upload_2015-1-6_12-27-39.png

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
Just the standard Mega Gyarados set. Intimidate usually gives him a free turn to set up, and with Magnezone and Gothitelle removing all his counters, he's given free leeway to sweep. Ice Fang over Crunch to hit Dragons and Lando-T/Gliscor harder.

upload_2015-1-6_12-28-55.png

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
Although this isn't the standard set for Talonflame, I believe it's the best. While Choice Band hits harder, it leaves Talonflame completely prone to Tyranitar and other rock types. Will-O-Wisp surprises them on the switch, and also burns Gliscor before his Toxic Orb activates. I have found Swords Dance to be quite useful, as he usually gets a free setup when he switches into frailer sweepers and wallbreakers, and can wreak havoc on the opposing team.

upload_2015-1-6_12-31-8.png

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
For my last spot, I needed a defogger and I'd have liked to use a special sweeper because I already had 3 physical pokemon. I decided to settle for Latios. He's fast, hits hard, and is an excellent wallbreaker, most notably breaking the Blissey-Gliscor core with Psyshock and Ice Beam, respectively.

I'd probably run another set on T-Flame , because its two STABs weaken and kill itself and Roost is necesary in the Swords Dancer Set , let me recommend you two sets:
Hummingbird (Talonflame) (M) @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 88 HP / 248 Atk / 172 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
This set has enough speed to outspeed 115 BS max speed invested and adds a bit more bulk.
Hummingbird (Talonflame) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Bulk Up
- Roost
This set is more Bulky and gots Will-O-Wisp if you need it , if you don't , you can run also Flare Blitz or Taunt.

Also , if you have Ice Beam on Latios and Two Trappers yet that can defeat mons like Venu M , Azumarill , ferrothorn ... that threaten the Gyara's sweep , you should try with the Bulky Sub DDancer Gyara M: Waterfall , Crunch , Substitute and DDance.

I hope I had helped.

If you don't want your Talonflame to be rocks prone, run Liechi Berry natural gift. It's a great set to catch people off guard and as better utility than you would expect from a 1 use move.

Talonflame @ Liechi Berry
252 attack, 252 speed
Adamant Nature

Swords Dance
Natural Gift
Acrobatics
Flare Blitz

Use SD on the switch in, natural gift to OHKO rock types, which it should do at +2, which gives an Acrobatics boost to hit slightly less powerful than Brave Bird, but keep health as it has no recoil.

Hey!!!! I like the team but have a couple of points.......
  • There is no point in running wow on Talonflame without a defensive set. So it is more advisable to run roost on Talonflame which has a priority thanks to gale wings. Also change your Ev spread to 252 Atk /4 Def / 252 Spe. This gives your Talonflame two switches into SR and still survive.
  • Also having Ice Beam on latios is pretty pointless as your Gyarados can easily break the blissey-gliscor wall with Waterfall and crunch especially if you've the sub-DD set on it. Therefore imo run roost or hp fighting. Roost gives you more longevity while hp fighting helps against pursuit trappers and steels.
  • Sub DD Gyarados is actually a better set to run as it helps against toxic stall and those annoying burns which otherwise hamper your sweep.
  • Finally run choice scarf on your gothitelle instead of Specs this gives you a faster trick on the stallers and it doesn't need the extra power specs gives cause it's not meant to sweep.
Well I hope I helped!!! Glhf playing withvyour team.

Hey!!!! I like the team but have a couple of points.......
  • There is no point in running wow on Talonflame without a defensive set. So it is more advisable to run roost on Talonflame which has a priority thanks to gale wings. Also change your Ev spread to 252 Atk /4 Def / 252 Spe. This gives your Talonflame two switches into SR and still survive.
  • Also having Ice Beam on latios is pretty pointless as your Gyarados can easily break the blissey-gliscor wall with Waterfall and crunch especially if you've the sub-DD set on it. Therefore imo run roost or hp fighting. Roost gives you more longevity while hp fighting helps against pursuit trappers and steels.
  • Sub DD Gyarados is actually a better set to run as it helps against toxic stall and those annoying burns which otherwise hamper your sweep.
  • Finally run choice scarf on your gothitelle instead of Specs this gives you a faster trick on the stallers and it doesn't need the extra power specs gives cause it's not meant to sweep.
Well I hope I helped!!! Glhf playing withvyour team.
Gothitelle isn't meant to sweep, but specs is necessary to KO Mega Venusaur before dying. I will experiment with Sub DD but I really like the coverage EQ gives.
As for Talonflame I've experimented with Roost but that leaves my team vulnerable to Tyranitar in case Breloom's sash is broken.
Ice Beam, I usually try not to use Mega Gyarados unless I'm absolutely sure I can sweep, so Ice type coverage is useful for opposing dragons when I want to keep him in longer than a turn, and for Landorus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)