VGC Looking for suggestions/improvements - Physical Giratina + support

I'll start off with the fact that I'm really new to competitive battling/VGC so this team most likely has major flaws. My goal here is to get some people that are much more experienced with the current meta or just VGC in general to point out the flaws and suggest some better ways of shaping up my team.
My main piece, and one I don't want to change but rather build around, is a physical and bulky Giratina set. Right now I have it in its Altered form so that I can get more all-around power with Life Orb, but I'm trying and would be open to switching it to Origin form for more base attack and the lack of Life Orb damage. I'll give more details when I list my team, but in short I love Giratina's natural bulk, access to ghost moves that as far as I know hit a ton of stuff for at least neutral, and the physical set gives an element of surprise because it seems like most players assume Giratina is a special attacker. The rest of my team is a kind of patchwork defensive support for it, with Cradily being specifically for rain since I'm not sure of a great way to handle it, and Excadrill that I had planned to combo with Max Rockfall but find myself never really using (or not knowing when to use).
Anyways, I would appreciate any feedback or Pokemon suggestions since I definitely think I could swap at least a few of my team out. At the bottom, I'll put my reasoning behind why I included each team member.

Common opponents that have given my team serious issues are Xerneas, Zacian, Lapras, Single-Strike Urshifu, Lapras, and Ice-Calyrex. I also seem to have an issue with Intimidate/stat-lowering, so I would like some ideas on how to keep my Giratina in fighting shape or do a better job of countering intimidate.

Giratina @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Level: 50
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 108 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Force
- Shadow Sneak
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Def / 12 SpA / 244 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Muddy Water
- Heal Pulse

Obstagoon @ Expert Belt
Ability: Defiant
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Gunk Shot
- Obstruct

Cresselia (F) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Ice Beam
- Reflect
- Trick Room

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Horsepower
- Iron Head
- Protect
- Rock Slide

Cradily @ Assault Vest
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Def / 148 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Ancient Power
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb

1) Giratina: Something I noticed when looking over many of the common meta pokemon was that they had invested in special bulk and could be hit hard by Giratina's physical ghost moves w/ Life Orb. Specifically, I was playing against a lot of Tapu Fini and Shadow Calyrex (Max Phantasm could hit Tapu Fini hard and Shadow Sneak could OHKO Calyrex if it didn't dynamax). In addition to this, Giratina was the only hard hitting physical Ghost type that seemed viable, which was amazing to me because Max Ghost on it could combo into itself. I invested a lot into HP to give more dynamxed HP, and SpD to help out against Fairy/Ice/Ghost attacks. My tiny speed investment was to hopefully out-speed some 90 base speeds, and sometimes I have been surprised that I am faster than some things, but I'm thinking I would be better off going with no speed investment and banking on trick room. Earthquake gives SpD boost when dynamaxed and has good coverage as far as I know, and Stone Edge was also for coverage against stuff like Galarian Moltres (there was also the Excadrill/Sand Rush setup but I find myself barely using it and am not sure if it's even a good idea). I went for Shadow Force as my hard hitting Ghost move instead of Poltergeist because of Poltergeist's unreliable accuracy and Shadow Force's ability to hit through Protect, which has actually put some teams in weird spots despite the predictability. An idea I have is using a Power Herb w/ Shadow Force, although I'm not sure if sacrificing the Life Orb would be a good idea.
Problem pokemon against Giratina that I'm looking for better ways to counter are Dark Urshifu, Xerneas, Zacian w/ Weakness Policy.

2) Tapu Fini: I initially put in Tapu Fini because I wanted a terrain setter that was slower than Indeedee, which I ran into paired with Shadow Calyrex as a lead, shutting down my Shadow Sneak strategy to unexpectedly snipe Calyrex early. Indeedee also was a pain to run into in general, so even aside from the Calyrex pairing I wanted to shut down Psychic Terrain. Something else I realized later was that Misty Terrain was great for my Giratina, as I was running no Dragon moves and would also be guarded against one of its weaknesses. Moonblast is standard for the STAB and terrain boost, and Muddy Water hits both opponents while also being decent damage against Incineroar and Landorus-T. Protect gives insurance against Fini's bad match-ups, like Venusaur or Rillaboom while also giving it time to get some Leftovers healing. Heal Pulse in theory was meant to support my bulky Giratina, but now that I've played some I'm thinking there may be a better move there since I only use Heal Pulse every once in a while. As far as EV investment goes, I think I just went for the most common Calm Nature set because I am not experienced enough to know what match-ups to calculate for.

3) Obstagoon: Besides Giratina, Obstagoon is the other team member that I would really like to keep/improve if my set isn't a good one. Obstruct is very handy in general, especially against things like Kartana that try to get an easy Fighting move off on it, and can combo really well into Giratina when the two end up on the field at the same time. Knock Off as far as I know is just a really good move in general and in theory should be able to mess up weakness policy pokemon, but often I find they simply outspeed, which would mean I would have to run choice scarf or Jolly and lose either power or Obstruct. Close Combat and Gunk shot are for hard hitting coverage with the Expert Belt, but I'm thinking I would be better suited to use Body Slam instead of Gunk Shot (or even replace both). Something I had tried was Taunt, but I'm too slow to handle Whimsicott and Regieleki without taking a lot of damage, although Obstagoon would be fantastic against Trick Room.

4) Cresselia: As I noticed that Giratina was for the most part pretty slow, along with my intentional slowness on Tapu Fini to underspeed Indeedee and set terrain, I decided that I should go the Trick Room route and went for Cresselia as a setter because of its great bulk and access to Moonblast that could threaten Dark Urshifu, and Ice Beam that could hit Landorus-T hard. I went for Cresselia over Dusclops so I wouldn't have two Ghosts. I took the most common bulky set, and added on Reflect since Giratina and Tapu Fini were specially bulky (Light Screen may be a better choice, or another move altogether). Not too much to say other than suggestions about movepool or switching to another Trick Room user.

5) Excadrill: Originally, I put in Excadrill to deal with Zacian and Xerneas with a speed buff from Max Rockfall, but it hasn't worked out as perfectly as I would have liked and is making me really want to look for a replacement to dealing with them. Focus Sash is for persistence, and Adamant gives max attack while max speed and Sand Rush seems like plenty of speed. Not too much to say, I'm really looking for ways to counter Zacian or Xerneas.

6) Cradily: Specifically to counter rain teams/Kyogre. Big health and physical bulk and the Assault Vest gives it tons of bulk to be a nuisance to the other members besides Kyogre, and switching it in to Storm Drain one of Kyogre's attacks gives it the SpA to be a threat. In addition to this, its slow speed gives it utility in Trick Room if I am able to set it up. I really control games where the opponent has Kyogre, because if they don't bring it they are out of their restricted Legendary and will have a hard time keeping up, and if they inevitably do bring it I have consistently been able to shut it down and gain huge momentum with Storm Drain switch ins. However, the huge flaw of Cradily, and the reason I really want to replace it, is because it seems way too situational. There has to be a serviceable Kyogre counter that has versatility outside of that matchup. However, I would be fine with keeping it as a trump card over Kyogre if my team can be more well rounded with other tweaks, because Cradily is never used and is definitely something Kyogre teams seem unprepared for.

If you've actually read all of this and want to give me some tips or suggestions, thanks so much!

Last edited:
Hello, I'd like to help with your team! Typically Giratina isn't seen as a high tier choice of restricted in VGC due to the presence of multiple Ghost- and Dark-type Pokemon as well as its weaknesses to Intimidate; however, I think we can make it work!

So first thing's first, let's talk about what strengths Giratina does have, and how we can maximize those while patching its weaknesses. Thanks to its Dragon typing and solid bulk, it actually does really well against Kyogre and Dusk-Mane-Necrozma teams, with Solgaleo and Groudon also being slightly advantageous for it. Unfortunately, Zacian-C and Calyrex-Shadow all have really good matchups vs Giratina, so let's look at how we can fix them.

<<Fixing our bad matchups>>

Zacian-C
often finds itself with offensive Electric-types like Thundurus and Regieleki, as well as an Intimidate backbone containing one or two of Incineroar and Landorus-T, with Lapras as the primary Dynamaxer to set Aurora Veil. In order to help Giratina break this, I'm going to suggest adding Zapdos and Grimmsnarl. With the combination of an offensive Dynamaxer in Zapdos and Screens + Fake Tears support in Grimmsnarl, the duo can muscle through pretty much everything that Zacian-C teams can throw your way, just be careful to not Fake Tears an opposing Thundurus!

Calyrex-S teams usually have redirection and/or Indeedee forms, so we need a bit more than Shadow Sneak on Giratina to handle them effectively. This is where I'd like to suggest adding, in addition to Grimmsnarl, Porygon2. Porygon2 resists Calyrex's Astral Barrage and can threaten it back significantly with its own Shadow Ball while also providing speed control with Trick Room.

The main thing that stood out to me after these changes was the lack of physical attackers, so I'm going to suggest adding Kartana for your final member! Kartana's Grass/Steel coverage is very helpful for insurance against threats like Groudon and Calyrex-Ice.

<<Moveset Revamps>>

This leaves us with Giratina and Tapu Fini from the first draft, though I believe they can use a few fixes.
:ss/giratina:
Giratina @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Shadow Force
- Shadow Sneak
- Earthquake

This Giratina set makes use of its many weaknesses and good natural bulk to abuse Weakness Policy, and it can also be activated by your own Grimmsnarl's Sucker Punch. The Dragon coverage is useful for hitting Palkia and giving you access to Max Wyrmwind for attack lowering. The EV spread lets you outrun Calyrex-Shadow at +2 Speed from a partner's Max Airstream

:ss/tapu fini:
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 196 SpA / 4 SpD / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Muddy Water
- Calm Mind
- Protect

With Calm Mind, Tapu Fini is much more effective at breaking things that might give Giratina trouble such as Incineroar and Grimmsnarl. The Special Attack in the EV spread is just to ensure it can achieve this as often as possible.

<<Summary and New Team Importable>>

The lesson to be learned here is that while you definitely can make offmeta Pokemon work if you put your mind to it, sometimes you need to balance it out with staples in order to ensure you have good matchups all across the board. In the future if you're stuck, I highly recommend checking out our teambuilding channel in the Smogon VGC discord.

So here's the new team below. If you have any questions feel free to let me know, hope you enjoy it!!

:giratina: :tapu fini: :zapdos: :grimmsnarl: :kartana: :porygon2: (click me!)
Thanks so much for the help and taking the time to look through my team! I actually ended up adding Porygon-2 for the exact reason you mentioned while I was experimenting some more, which makes me feel a bit better about my team building skills lol

Reactions: zee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)