SM OU Lopunny-Clefable Bulky Offense (OU)

I have been seriously getting into team-building since Fall 2017, and while I have made some teams I enjoyed running and saw success, none have proven as effective and reliable against most teams I have come across in tours or the ladder, for both me and some of my friends that have tried it, than this one, so far.

Bonnie (Lopunny-Mega) (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch

Bill (Clefable) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Thorny (Ferrothorn) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off

Katrina (Tornadus-Therian) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Defog

Snek (Zygarde) @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

Uchiha (Greninja) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The team is based around Mega Lopunny's ability to revenge kill and chip much of the meta, as well as taking advantage of its matchup versus Sableye stall:

lopunny-mega.gif

Lop is the basis of the team, and since it is focused on revenging, it must be able to chip appropriately, thus we run Fake Out and not Ice Punch. Encore is an option as well, but it will have a slightly harder time versus HO and will chip less efficiently. PuP takes advantage of switches and 50/50s with mons like Ferrothorn.

Next, I wanted to bring in Lop safely, and thus Volt-Turn was ideal for this. This engine also allows for chip damage on the enemy team, thus it fits perfectly on the team. The 2 I decided on were Scarf Protean Gren and Tornadus T:

Gren.gif
Torn T.gif

These 2 mons allow Lop to come in safely. Tornadus provides Defog support and a Flyinium nuke as well. Taunt is ran here since Ferrothorn runs Knock Off, and they both bait in similar mons, thus Knock on Torn was a little redundant. It allows facilitates the macthup versus Pex, which the team otherwise can struggle to break. Gren is standard Scarf, but it runs HP Fire to help with the Scizor matchup, which otherwise would 6-0 the team. We also have space for it, since Ferro has Spikes. Gren also helps versus Volcarona teams, and thus we run Rock Slide instead of Gunk.

Ferro and Clef provide the bulk of the team, and set our Hazards for us as well:

Ferro.gif
Clef.gif

These 2 work very well off of each other as a Defensive core, and deal with otherwise bad matchups the team could have, like Ash Gren or Kokolucha (Clef + Zyg can revenge a Hawlucha, so those matchups require you to be careful with Clef). Clefable takes advantage or status, which usually cripples Lop, and can set hazards on most teams pretty easily. CM allows it to beat Sableye to set rocks versus Stall, and allow Clef and Zyg to have a fighting chance in those cases, which they would otherwise not be able to break. Ferro runs Spikes to Hazard Stack, as well as Knock to cripple common switch ins. Heatran is an option over Clef (albeit I would not recommend it) to make the Scizor matchup easier.

The mon that allows the team to function properly at all is Banded Zygarde:

zygarde.gif

This mon puts in heavy pressure versus Balance and Offense cores, and offers immediate breaking power. It wears down enemy teams like few other mons are capable of. It also gives you a decent priority user, and a Heatran switch-in, which would otherwise run over this team. This mon also prevents Volt Switch from going rampant and lose you momentum, which this team desperately wants to keep due to its pressure-based playstyle. Zygarde can run Iron Tail or Toxic on the last slot. I personally only played it with Toxic, but Iron Tail has merit as well, and I may try it once I start using this team again. This mon is arguably the glue of the team, and what makes it function so effectively, as it+Lop wear teams down quickly.

Bad Matchups:

1. Stall can be a nuisance. Zygarde is strong, but by itself can lack the power needed of a Stallbreaker, and will need Hazard support and pressure to break it. Lopunny and Clef can take advantage of Sab Stalls, but other type of Stall teams could have one over you.
2. While it doesn't 6-0 you, Kartana can force you to play guessing games, as it can hurt your switchins with coverage or STAB, so you will need to play around it or prioritize a sack. Greninja will always be able to revenge +1 Spe Kartana, however, so use this to your advantage.
3. Tapu Bulu needs to be Toxiced/Iron Tailed by Zyg to be able to be broken, or you need to double into your team members that can take it on. Scizor is a pain for this team, so you need to keep Gren healthy and not get U-Turned on. If you can get minimal chip, Zor will die to HP Fire and not do much back even with +2 BP. Toxic Heatran is good at forcing Zyg in and Toxicing, so keep this in mind. You may want to Scout with Clef if you won't need it to beat something on your opponents team.

I appreciate any feedback I can get on this team. I personally like it a lot, and while I do not run it as much now, it is my best so far. Feel free to use it if you wish!

salamence.gif

Attachments

Last edited:

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
I have been seriously getting into team-building since Fall 2017, and while I have made some teams I enjoyed running and saw success, none have proven as effective and reliable against most teams I have come across in tours or the ladder, for both me and some of my friends that have tried it, than this one, so far.

Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch

Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Thorny (Ferrothorn) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off

Katrina (Tornadus-Therian) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Defog

Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The team is based around Mega Lopunny's ability to revenge kill and chip much of the meta, as well as taking advantage of its matchup versus Sableye stall:

View attachment 111751

Lop is the basis of the team, and since it is focused on revenging, it must be able to chip appropriately, thus we run Fake Out and not Ice Punch. Encore is an option as well, but it will have a slightly harder time versus HO and will chip less efficiently. PuP takes advantage of switches and 50/50s with mons like Ferrothorn.

Next, I wanted to bring in Lop safely, and thus Volt-Turn was ideal for this. This engine also allows for chip damage on the enemy team, thus it fits perfectly on the team. The 2 I decided on were Scarf Protean Gren and Tornadus T:

View attachment 111750View attachment 111749

These 2 mons allow Lop to come in safely. Tornadus provides Defog support and a Flyinium nuke as well. Taunt is ran here since Ferrothorn runs Knock Off, and they both bait in similar mons, thus Knock on Torn was a little redundant. It allows facilitates the macthup versus Pex, which the team otherwise can struggle to break. Gren is standard Scarf, but it runs HP Fire to help with the Scizor matchup, which otherwise would 6-0 the team. We also have space for it, since Ferro has Spikes. Gren also helps versus Volcarona teams, and thus we run Rock Slide instead of Gunk.

Ferro and Clef provide the bulk of the team, and set our Hazards for us as well:

View attachment 111752View attachment 111753

These 2 work very well off of each other as a Defensive core, and deal with otherwise bad matchups the team could have, like Ash Gren or Kokolucha (Clef + Zyg can revenge a Hawlucha, so those matchups require you to be careful with Clef). Clefable takes advantage or status, which usually cripples Lop, and can set hazards on most teams pretty easily. CM allows it to beat Sableye to set rocks versus Stall, and allow Clef and Zyg to have a fighting chance in those cases, which they would otherwise not be able to break. Ferro runs Spikes to Hazard Stack, as well as Knock to cripple common switch ins. Heatran is an option over Clef (albeit I would not recommend it) to make the Scizor matchup easier.

The mon that allows the team to function properly at all is Banded Zygarde:

View attachment 111754

This mon puts in heavy pressure versus Balance and Offense cores, and offers immediate breaking power. It wears down enemy teams like few other mons are capable of. It also gives you a decent priority user, and a Heatran switch-in, which would otherwise run over this team. This mon also prevents Volt Switch from going rampant and lose you momentum, which this team desperately wants to keep due to its pressure-based playstyle. Zygarde can run Iron Tail or Toxic on the last slot. I personally only played it with Toxic, but Iron Tail has merit as well, and I may try it once I start using this team again. This mon is arguably the glue of the team, and what makes it function so effectively, as it+Lop wear teams down quickly.

Bad Matchups:

1. Stall can be a nuisance. Zygarde is strong, but by itself can lack the power needed of a Stallbreaker, and will need Hazard support and pressure to break it. Lopunny and Clef can take advantage of Sab Stalls, but other type of Stall teams could have one over you.
2. While it doesn't 6-0 you, Kartana can force you to play guessing games, as it can hurt your switchins with coverage or STAB, so you will need to play around it or prioritize a sack. Greninja will always be able to revenge +1 Spe Kartana, however, so use this to your advantage.
3. Tapu Bulu needs to be Toxiced/Iron Tailed by Zyg to be able to be broken, or you need to double into your team members that can take it on. Scizor is a pain for this team, so you need to keep Gren healthy and not get U-Turned on. If you can get minimal chip, Zor will die to HP Fire and not do much back even with +2 BP. Toxic Heatran is good at forcing Zyg in and Toxicing, so keep this in mind. You may want to Scout with Clef if you won't need it to beat something on your opponents team.

I appreciate any feedback I can get on this team. I personally like it a lot, and while I do not run it as much now, it is my best so far. Feel free to use it if you wish!

View attachment 111755
Hey, lycan2500 this looks like a solid team. There are some changes I would make to improve it, however.
Firstly, I would give Zygarde Iron Tail to nail the Tapu Bulu/Clefable switch ins that annoy this team.

Secondly, I would change the EVs on Tornadus to give it 8 in HP (just take 8 out of SpAtk). This gives it the optimal Regenerator recovery along with being able to survive 3 Seismic Tosses as opposed to only 2.

Scizor is a big problem for this team. Some things to consider are Heat Wave on Tornadus and Fire Punch on Lopunny. You could give Clefable Flamethrower, but then your forgo Stealth Rocks. You can put these on Ferrothorn, however.

Additionally, Kartana is a problem (like you pointed out). It comes in on Ferrothorn for free and can eitehr set up or attack. I would suggest giving Ferrothorn Thunder Wave to punish Kartana on the switch. You could try HP Fire, as used by ABR, but I find this sub-optimal as Thunder Wave covers way more things (and spreading paralysis is never a bad thing for you no matter how much torture you put on your opponent). I would replace Knock Off because you typically Knock Off switch ins, whereas your switch in move is more often than not going to be TWave.

I honestly don't think that the team is too stall weak with Calm Mind Clefable. Of course it is not easy, but you definitely have some advantage.

Hey, I really like the structure of your team and pairing it with breakers like CB Zygarde is a good idea as well. In addition to Kartana and Tapu Bulu being threatening, I also think that Psychic Spam teams are a pain to deal with, as M-Alakazam + Tapu Lele can break through your defensive core thanks to HP Fire / Focus Blast, and Clefable is 2HKOed for sure if Psychic Terrain up. I also find M-Pinsir threatening, as your team doesn't have any Flying resist which means Return from it and even Hurricane from Tornadus-T are quite hard to switch into. In order to resolve all of these issues, I'd like to suggest you some changes that would improve the matchup against them.

>
Ferrothorn + Clefable is a good defensive core but it struggles dealing with Psychic Spam as I said, so I think Celesteela over Ferrothorn is a better option. I'm suggesting the standard smogon set of Heavy Slam | Leech Seed | Flamethrower | Protect with a 248 HP / 104+ Def / 156 SpD spread (check its smogon analysis to see what is the spread for). It provides you a solid way to deal with Psychic Spam as it can either deal great damages to them with Heavy Slam or annoy them with Leech Seed + Protect. This change also provides you an appreciated Flying resist, which means a way to deal with M-Pinsir and Tornadus-T (they generally don't run Heat Wave as they prefer U-Turn/Koff + Defog or SPower to hit Tyranitars but still be aware of that). Celesteela also helps vs Grass-Types as it provides you a consistent check to both Tapu Bulu and Kartana. However, with this change makes you weaker to Rain teams as well as Tapu Koko, but the next change will adress that.

>
So, as I said, at this point you lack a counterplay to Tapu Koko, which have seen a lot of usages recently as well as being weaker to Pokemon like Ash Greninja and Kingdra under Rain. That's why I'd like to suggest Tapu Bulu over Celesteela. I'm also suggesting the standard set here, Wood Hammer | Horn Leech | Superpower | Nature's Madness, with a 248 HP / 56 Atk+ / 60 SpD / 144 Spe spread (also check its smogon analysis to see what is the spread for). On this team, Tapu Bulu provides you a geat answer to Tapu Koko and Water-Types like Ash Greninja. With this change, M-Venusaur might be annoying though, but it's not common right now and you can PP Stall its Synthesis with Celesteela and M-Lopunny/Zygarde.

Since you said Stall is a nuisance to your team, I'd suggest Encore over Fake Out. Encore helps a lot vs Pokemon like Clefable, Mew, M-Venusaur, Toxapex and others and in combinaison with Power Up Punch, it's pretty good as M-Lopunny is able to get some +1 Attack boosts easier. That change could make M-Lopunny harder to deal with for a Stall team and so that would improve your matchup against this kind of team.

With now Celesteela on your team, I don't feel like M-Scizor or Ferrothorn are threatening / annoying. So, I'd replace HP Fire for Spikes. Spikes is great here as it helps both Zygarde and M-Lopunny at breaking BO / Balanced teams, while it also helps Greninja itself at not losing momentum against things like Magearna. This would also force your opponent to Defog in some case if hazards on your side are too annoying, making the lose of Defog less important.

Optional change, But I like Knock Off Clefable here as it removes items of the likes of Celesteela and Landorus-T, something always appreciated when carrying a M-Lopunny or a Zygarde.

~~

Jolly Nature
- Encore
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch

Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Knock Off / Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 60 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Spikes

Hope this rate is helpful, good luck!

Hey, lycan2500 this looks like a solid team. There are some changes I would make to improve it, however.
Firstly, I would give Zygarde Iron Tail to nail the Tapu Bulu/Clefable switch ins that annoy this team.

Secondly, I would change the EVs on Tornadus to give it 8 in HP (just take 8 out of SpAtk). This gives it the optimal Regenerator recovery along with being able to survive 3 Seismic Tosses as opposed to only 2.

Scizor is a big problem for this team. Some things to consider are Heat Wave on Tornadus and Fire Punch on Lopunny. You could give Clefable Flamethrower, but then your forgo Stealth Rocks. You can put these on Ferrothorn, however.

Additionally, Kartana is a problem (like you pointed out). It comes in on Ferrothorn for free and can eitehr set up or attack. I would suggest giving Ferrothorn Thunder Wave to punish Kartana on the switch. You could try HP Fire, as used by ABR, but I find this sub-optimal as Thunder Wave covers way more things (and spreading paralysis is never a bad thing for you no matter how much torture you put on your opponent). I would replace Knock Off because you typically Knock Off switch ins, whereas your switch in move is more often than not going to be TWave.

I honestly don't think that the team is too stall weak with Calm Mind Clefable. Of course it is not easy, but you definitely have some advantage.
I actually like the changes you suggested, so I'll probably implement them. I'll miss having Knock, but Scizor is a pain to go against for the team as is. Also, thank you for letting me know about the spread on Torn, I did not realize you could live 3 Seismic with that spread. I appreciate the suggestion!

Hey, I really like the structure of your team and pairing it with breakers like CB Zygarde is a good idea as well. In addition to Kartana and Tapu Bulu being threatening, I also think that Psychic Spam teams are a pain to deal with, as M-Alakazam + Tapu Lele can break through your defensive core thanks to HP Fire / Focus Blast, and Clefable is 2HKOed for sure if Psychic Terrain up. I also find M-Pinsir threatening, as your team doesn't have any Flying resist which means Return from it and even Hurricane from Tornadus-T are quite hard to switch into. In order to resolve all of these issues, I'd like to suggest you some changes that would improve the matchup against them.

>
Ferrothorn + Clefable is a good defensive core but it struggles dealing with Psychic Spam as I said, so I think Celesteela over Ferrothorn is a better option. I'm suggesting the standard smogon set of Heavy Slam | Leech Seed | Flamethrower | Protect with a 248 HP / 104+ Def / 156 SpD spread (check its smogon analysis to see what is the spread for). It provides you a solid way to deal with Psychic Spam as it can either deal great damages to them with Heavy Slam or annoy them with Leech Seed + Protect. This change also provides you an appreciated Flying resist, which means a way to deal with M-Pinsir and Tornadus-T (they generally don't run Heat Wave as they prefer U-Turn/Koff + Defog or SPower to hit Tyranitars but still be aware of that). Celesteela also helps vs Grass-Types as it provides you a consistent check to both Tapu Bulu and Kartana. However, with this change makes you weaker to Rain teams as well as Tapu Koko, but the next change will adress that.

>
So, as I said, at this point you lack a counterplay to Tapu Koko, which have seen a lot of usages recently as well as being weaker to Pokemon like Ash Greninja and Kingdra under Rain. That's why I'd like to suggest Tapu Bulu over Celesteela. I'm also suggesting the standard set here, Wood Hammer | Horn Leech | Superpower | Nature's Madness, with a 248 HP / 56 Atk+ / 60 SpD / 144 Spe spread (also check its smogon analysis to see what is the spread for). On this team, Tapu Bulu provides you a geat answer to Tapu Koko and Water-Types like Ash Greninja. With this change, M-Venusaur might be annoying though, but it's not common right now and you can PP Stall its Synthesis with Celesteela and M-Lopunny/Zygarde.

Since you said Stall is a nuisance to your team, I'd suggest Encore over Fake Out. Encore helps a lot vs Pokemon like Clefable, Mew, M-Venusaur, Toxapex and others and in combinaison with Power Up Punch, it's pretty good as M-Lopunny is able to get some +1 Attack boosts easier. That change could make M-Lopunny harder to deal with for a Stall team and so that would improve your matchup against this kind of team.

With now Celesteela on your team, I don't feel like M-Scizor or Ferrothorn are threatening / annoying. So, I'd replace HP Fire for Spikes. Spikes is great here as it helps both Zygarde and M-Lopunny at breaking BO / Balanced teams, while it also helps Greninja itself at not losing momentum against things like Magearna. This would also force your opponent to Defog in some case if hazards on your side are too annoying, making the lose of Defog less important.

Optional change, But I like Knock Off Clefable here as it removes items of the likes of Celesteela and Landorus-T, something always appreciated when carrying a M-Lopunny or a Zygarde.

~~

Jolly Nature
- Encore
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch

Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Knock Off / Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 60 SpD / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Spikes

Hope this rate is helpful, good luck!
I can appreciate these changes, and might actually make another version of the team with some of these. My main issue with these, however, is that I would have no Hazard Control if I were to implement the changes you suggested, which would leave me very vulnerable to Toxic Spikes, Hazard Stack, and Screen teams, which aren't uncommon right now.

I can appreciate these changes, and might actually make another version of the team with some of these. My main issue with these, however, is that I would have no Hazard Control if I were to implement the changes you suggested, which would leave me very vulnerable to Toxic Spikes, Hazard Stack, and Screen teams, which aren't uncommon right now.
The hazard stacking weakness isn't really a big issue as you also can setup both SR and Spikes, which as I said may force your opponent to click Defog. However, TSpikes are more annoying and I think you could try Amonguss over Tapu Bulu which also acts as a Tapu Koko / Greninja answer while removing TSpikes thanks to its Poison type.

The hazard stacking weakness isn't really a big issue as you also can setup both SR and Spikes, which as I said may force your opponent to click Defog. However, TSpikes are more annoying and I think you could try Amonguss over Tapu Bulu which also acts as a Tapu Koko / Greninja answer while removing TSpikes thanks to its Poison type.
That could work. I'll give it a try!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)