Other Metagames Making Stakataka just a tiny bIt overpowered served with a few back ups :) (Gen 8 Anything Goes)

Why hello there! I am glad you came in to see this little team of mine :) The "backstory" behind this team is that I wanted to create something completely overpowered (a sweep team). Tbh, I was new to gen 8 and took a long break from pokemon so perhaps this isn't the best but nonetheless, I must say that after quite a few battles, corrections and little tweaks here and there that it is it is quite the punch and should be able to beat most teams :)

Thou Sweep Master

1609632204405.png

Stakataka @ Lum Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Rest
- Body Press

Description:
Stakataka is an absolute defence tank! So why not use its best stat as its offence too? Combined with Dubwool's batton pass of cotton guard and a substitute, Stakataka becomes a destructive beast that can pretty much 1 shot everything (aside from ghost type pokemon). Only real counter to this would be a special attack pokemon and ghost pokemon since it cant' hit them. But that can be fixed with Calyrex-Shadow's trick room. (Use Calyrex-Shadow for trick room, then go to Dubwool, cotton guard + sub then batton pass it to Stakataka , since u would have the priority, you could one-shot them) To compensate for not being able to hit ghost pokemon, I gave it Gyro Ball and gave it the least possible speed it could have. Allowing you to dash out a good amount of damage even if your opponent has a full ghost team. It also has stealth rock since with the defence and the substitute it has, it can take on a hit thus allowing u to set up with ease! Lastly, in the case that somehow it reaches low health, it has rest and a lum berry allowing you to go back to full hp whilst your oblivious, opponent thought they were so close to winning against the might of the beast you created! Then suddenly waking up full health and going back on a rampage!

Well s***, time for Plan B
1609636724232.png

Cinderace @ Wide Lens
Ability: Libero
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pyro Ball
- High Jump Kick
- Sucker Punch
- Bounce

Description:
Cinderace is well as the title states, Plan B. In case you somehow have a pokemon that you know you can't beat or can't execute the strategy for Stakataka and you need to get rid of, Cinderace is your pokemon. With her ability of Libero, you can change the type you are, plus with her speed, it gives u an advantage, especially when facing Dynamax mons and in general pokemons. For example, if you were to face a dynamax pokemon about to use a dynamax ground move, you can outspeed it and choose "Bounce" allowing you not only make it waste 1 turn of its Dynamax but also if your opponent doesn't notice the type change, making his damage do 0 to you. Its moves are there because I deemed them the best for type change and damage (though not all moves have 100 accuracy which is why Wide Lens are its item). Now then, Sucker Punch, is very handy when you got an overpowered mon you gotta face that has little hp left (Just a tip, I personally use Eiscue when I have to face a fast physical sweeper because of his ability to take a hit and it dealing 0 damage unless ofc that pokemon has mold breaker. Point is that if you use its hail and defence strat which will be explained later and thus weary your opponents pokemon out then when Eiscue faints, switch to Cinderace, you can use Sucker Punch for that finishing touch!) Either way, Cinderace is quite the handful and many can't handle her ability :)

Thou Sneak 100
1609637339060.png

Calyrex-Shadow @ Eject Pack
Ability: As One (Spectrier)
EVs: 128 Def / 128 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Trick Room
- Leaf Storm
- Astral Barrage

Description:
Now then, this is the pokemon you should ideally start with. Calyrex-Shadow is a solid sneaky one hehe, for you see he can do taunt disabling any status moves and traps being placed by ur opponent, (which usually traps are placed at the start) as well as do trick room which while it isn't essential for the strat to work, I highly recommend you do it because you benefit a lot by starting 1st. Now the amazing thing with this mon is its items and one of its moves. You see, the eject pack forces u to switch the moment ur stats get lowered. Since you would have done taunt the first turn, chances are your opponent won't lower your stats. But, Leaf Storm does lower stats, and that allows u to switch without losing a move. Allowing you to do taunt first, then trick room and then leaf storm to dash out some damage and then switch to Dubwool! The only issue with this is that trick room always plays last so make sure you can take a hit. (Astral Barrage is there because it's quite the power move and Calyrex-Shadow is weak to ghost moves so if you got a ghost type pokemon, you can use your speak to K.O them.)

HOHOHO Mothe********
1609640956722.png

Darmanitan-Galar @ Choice Band
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Giga Impact
- Flare Blitz
- Thrash
- Earthquake

Description:
Well then, soo hypothetically speaking, something didn't work out well in the strat, something unexpected occurred. That's perfectly fine, all starts at times have unexpected moments in which they are weak at. So you used plan B (Cinderace) but that didn't work out as well. Well here take this Santa fatso pokemon! In all seriousness, Darmanitan-Galar has no strat whatsoever he is just brute force. Use him whenever you face a tank that Stakataka or Cinderace can't defeat. He is designed to be expendable, you could even replace him with a pokemon that has explosion if you so desired! (Yeah.. don't be that desperate. That's a nooby move with all due respect but you get the point nonetheless.)

The Evil One
1609641368947.png

Eiscue @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Face
EVs: 80 HP / 176 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Hail
- Protect
- Aqua Ring
- Substitute

Description:
Eiscue, the cute penguin blockhead! This thing is DESIGNED to be annoying and stall. Due to his unique ability "Ice Face", Eiscue can easily take in physical hits, (Note: While he has decent stats, he is weak to Sp. Attack moves. Bring him out when facing a full physical sweeper that you want to waste his pp's.) allowing him to recover with hail his ice face which also damages your opponents over time. Match it with leftovers and a healing move such as Aqua Ring which heals each turn, you can spam Protect, Substitute and when Hail ends do once again Hail. Your opponents won't be able to lay a hand on him. He is also perfect when facing dynamax physical attacker pokemon since Ice Face even if it is hit by a Dynamax move, will do 0 DAMAGE TO HIM hehe. Same goes with Substitute but if u were to use protect u would take some damage but it would be reduced significantly, so keep that in mind. Also due to him lasting for a decent time, he can actually drop the enemy pokemon's health to half at times and more! If he faints, switch to plan B (Cinderace) and use "Sucker Punch" for the cherry on top to finish your opponent off.

The BAA-dass planner of the group (Get it Baa cause its a goat :D No? alright amma serve myself out ;-;)

1609641909591.png

Dubwool @ Red Card
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Cotton Guard
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Descrption:
Here we are, the final one! Congrats on reading till here btw I appreciate it :) Now back on topic! Dubwool is literally the Badass planner of the group. He is the only pokemon that has Cotton Guard and Baton pass, making him extremely unique especially for our strat! For you see after you used the trick room etc. from Calyrex-Shadow, you swap to him and use cotton guard or Substitute, whichever one you deem more necessary. Now, his ability "Fluffy" allows you to take half the damage from attacks, not to mention he has great health and defenses, allowing you to make a very good Substitute. (Do note the drawback with Fluffy is that you receive twice the damage from fire type moves to beware.) Now you could just do one Cotton Guard and pass it to Stakataka, but in case you face ghost type pokemon and you know you can last a few hits, why not do Swords Dance to increase your attack as well. After you have deemed that you can either no longer take damage due to being close to fainting or are satisfied with your stats, switch to your brand new overpowered sweeper and enjoy :)

Well then with that being said I do hope you find this valuable and that it helps you in your battles. Thank you for reading this and I wish you luck in any of your showdown endeavors! Goodbyeeeee :) (Also feel free to improve this strat below, comment on it or even msge me)

Last edited:

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
Welcome to smogon! Looking at this team from a competitive perspective in the AG meta, there's a lot to improve. As it currently is, the team is largely unviable, as looking at the viability rankings shows the only viable mon on this team is Calyrex-S. While it's a very good mon, it can't make up for the lacking support. The set on it also could use quite a bit of improvement, with there being multiple sets which get more value out of Calyrex's traits, and those can be found in the set compendium as well as dex analysis'. The last resource I'll link will be the sample teams for Galar AG, which is just an example of what successful and consistent teams look like.

I won't do a full rate because to bring it up to a competitive level with viable mons would take the replacing of probably 5 mons or optimistically 4 if you wanted to keep G-Darm or something because it's Uber, but generally most of the things here are outclassed by top meta threats. Stakataka kind of just sits there and doesn't do a ton of meaningful damage to top mons as well as getting destroyed by a lot of attacks.
252+ Def Stakataka Body Press vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 83-98 (20.8 - 24.6%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

0 Atk Necrozma-Dusk-Mane Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Stakataka: 180-216 (68.4 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Stakataka Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Zacian-Crowned: 180-213 (55.3 - 65.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 Atk Zacian-Crowned Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Stakataka: 408-484 (155.1 - 184%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Cinderace is just outclassed by stuff like Zacian-C, Groudon, Zekrom, most physical attackers, etc.
As mentioned, Calyrex-S is great but the set needs a bit of adjusting with the resources.
G-Darm could do something, but running normal moves is suboptimal and in this fast of a tier banded probably is too, a scarf set with U-turn Flare Blitz Icicle Crash Earthquake would probably fit better, but again darm is usually less than ideal to use.
Eiscue is just bad, and I don't know replacements for that kind of set.
Dubwool works with Baton Pass but only on full Baton Pass chains, and you have no real abusers of the boosts and it's just out of place on anything but full pass.

I think it's a good thing to build when you're getting back into a gen as it helps familiarize people with the tier, and there are some things that look to be alright like the fast offensive core, they are just outclassed completely by other mons currently. I'll just leave those resources linked in the first paragraph, and hope they help as you get into the tier :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)