Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Haze
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog

Mantine is an incredible special wall for Flying in Monotype thanks to its great stats and secondary typing of Water. Haze lets Mantine check common setup sweepers such as Mew and Volcarona, and this spread in particular allows Mantine to outpace maximum Speed Adamant Azumarill in order to Haze away its Belly Drum boost. Roost gives Mantine the sustainability it needs in order to not only manage foes but also remove Stealth Rock with Defog throughout a match, the latter of which Flying teams depend upon. Zapdos is the best teammate to pair with Mantine, as it's able to take on most Electric-types and coverage that threaten Mantine, while also being able to put immense pressure on Water-types, which Mantine struggles with. Pairing this duo with Skarmory as a physical wall and check to Rock-types makes for one of Monotype's most formidable defensive cores. Wallbreakers such as Dragonite work well with Mantine, as they can alleviate Mantine's difficulty in handling opposing walls.

Last edited:

Moosical

big yikes
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mantine @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Haze
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog

Mantine is an incredible special wall for Flying in Monotype thanks to its great stats and secondary typing of Water. It also has a wide range of utility options available making it a vital option on Balance teams. Haze is the core element of this set as it lets Mantine check common setup sweepers such as Mew and Volcarona. This spread in particular, with the 96 Speed investment, allows Mantine to outpace max Speed Adamant Azumarill by one point in order to Haze away its Belly Drum boost. Scald is a solid offensive option for avoiding becoming bait for stallbreakers and Taunt users and for pressuring physical attackers with potential burns. Roost gives Mantine the sustain that it needs to be able to consistently manage foes throughout a match. Defog allows Mantine to help fill the role of Stealth Rock removal, which Flying teams are dependent upon in order to succeed. Zapdos is possibly the best teammate to pair with Mantine as it's able to take on most Electric-type Pokemon and coverage that threaten Mantine, while also being able to put immense pressure on Water-types, which, outside of Water Absorb, Mantine struggles with. Pairing this duo with Skarmory as a physical wall and check to Rock-types makes for one of Monotype's most formidable defensive cores. Some other Wallbreakers Pokemon work well with Mantine such as Dragonite, which can alleviate Mantine's difficulty in handling opposing walls thanks to its powerful wallbreaking capabilities. In return Mantine can Defog away Stealth Rock in order to preserve Dragonite's Multiscale.
All of it is fine QC wise, but it's way too long (supposed to be near 1k count). I've taken out sentences/statements that I don't think are necessary, but feel free to trim as you see fit instead. My edits bring you down to 1187 which you could probably get a little shorter by combining a few sentences (like scald + roost or roost + defog)

QC 1/1

lotiasite

undedgy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Mantine @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Haze
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog

Mantine is an incredible special wall for Flying in Monotype thanks to its great stats and secondary typing of Water. Haze is the core element of this set as it lets Mantine check common setup sweepers such as Mew and Volcarona. T, and this spread in particular allows Mantine to outpace maximum Speed Adamant Azumarill by one point in order to Haze away its Belly Drum boost. Scald is a solid offensive option for pressuring physical attackers with potential burns. Roost gives Mantine the sustainRoost gives Mantine the sustainability it needs in order to not only manage foes but also Defogremove Stealth Rock with Defog throughout a match, the latter of which Flying teams depend upon. Zapdos is the best teammate to pair with Mantine, (AC) as it's able to take on most Electric-types and coverage that threaten Mantine, while also being able to put immense pressure on Water-types, which Mantine struggles with. Pairing this duo with Skarmory as a physical wall and check to Rock-types makes for one of Monotype's most formidable defensive cores. Wallbreakers, (RC) such as Dragontite, (RC) work well with Mantine, (AC) as they can alleviate Mantine's difficulty in handling opposing walls.

trimmed it down to <1k, removed some unnec info like "crux of the set" and the scald line. i suggest reading the intro to fb spotlights so you know what info to spotlight and whatnot (i.e less about the set and more about mantine in the meta etc) so instead of writing about scald and the moves write about what mantine checks etc, the haze line is a good example of this - 1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)