Gen 1 Marowak (UU Mini) [DONE]

:rb/Marowak:

[OVERVIEW]

Marowak is completely outclassed by Sandslash, which is already not that good in RBY UU, as well as other Ground-types such as Dugtrio and even Golem, meaning it should never be considered for any serious team. Its stats are poor, with bad bulk, terrible Speed, and all stats equal to or lower than Sandslash's. Although Marowak does have Blizzard and Counter, Sandslash's Swords Dance and Rock Slide are far more valuable, especially considering Marowak's mediocre Attack. It also has weaknesses to common attacking types in Water and Ice, and it loses to a lot of common Pokemon in the metagame, notably Gyarados and Vaporeon, which destroy it.

[SET]
name: All-out Attacker
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Body Slam
move 3: Counter
move 4: Blizzard

[SET COMMENT]

This is Marowak's best set with its terrible movepool. Earthquake is a needed STAB move and has solid coverage for Pokemon like Tentacruel. Body Slam can paralyze foes and help Marowak with its abysmal Speed. Counter can counter Normal-type attacks from Pokemon such as Kangaskhan and Persian, and it works well due to Marowak's lack of a Normal resistance. Finally, Blizzard can 2HKO Dragonite and is Marowak's best option for hitting Tangela, and it also has a useful freeze chance.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[ReeceHughes, 508601]]
- Quality checked by: [[Plague von Karma, 236353], [phoopes, 96315]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429]]

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Sandslash deserves a mention here. It's almost identical to Marowak, only it exchanges Blizzard for Rock Slide and Swords Dance. Overall, you should be encouraging players to look to Sandslash or Golem instead of using Marowak. While Sandslash isn't on the VR at the moment, it was for the longest time and saw enough play for it to warrant it in my opinion. Besides that, being outclassed for a Pokemon that's no longer seeing play just helps emphasise that it shouldn't be on your team! Make sure to mention the lack of Swords Dance + Rock Slide and mediocre Attack are the main reasons it's outclassed, and what lead to it being pitiful.

Let's use something like this;
"Marowak is completely outclassed by Sandslash because of a lack of Swords Dance and Rock Slide, which is exemplified by its mediocre Attack. Considering Sandslash is on the outer reaches of viability as-is, this doesn't bode well for our little friend.".​
I would go as far as to put this at the beginning of the analysis. Marowak's entire identity in RBY is warped by this Pokemon, its sole niche over Sandslash is Blizzard access.

--

It should also be mentioned that Marowak is far from losing to every Pokemon - that's a bit harsh - it does...ok against paralyzed Tentacruel. It just relies a lot on paralysis support to function. Not being able to resist Normal (which should absolutely be noted) is a big problem, as it should absolutely be absorbing Persian's Slash but it just doesn't and dies.

Get back to me when this is implemented. :blobpex:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Had a few more thoughts.

When comparing Marowak to Sandslash, you should note that all it has over it is access to Counter and Blizzard.

I'm not sure if you should note the other Ground-types or not, considering the thing it's directly competing with is Sandslash. I'll let the 2nd QCer decide on that.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Marowak is completely outclassed by Sandslash due to a lack of Swords Dance and Rock Slide, which is exemplified by its mediocre Attack. The only things Marowak has over Sandslash are Blizzard and Counter.
I think I would change this a bit to highlight that not only does it lack Swords Dance and Rock Slide, but Marowak also has equal or lower stats in every category so really under no circumstances should you ever use it. Maybe something like...

"All of Marowak's stats are equal to or lower than Sandslash's, meaning Sandslash completely outclasses it. While Marowak does have Blizzard and Counter, Sandslash packs Swords Dance and Rock Slide, which are far more valuable, especially considering Marowak's mediocre Attack."

You don't have to use that word for word but I just really wanted to bring that point to the table.

Once that's in, QC 2/2

I think I would change this a bit to highlight that not only does it lack Swords Dance and Rock Slide, but Marowak also has equal or lower stats in every category so really under no circumstances should you ever use it. Maybe something like...

"All of Marowak's stats are equal to or lower than Sandslash's, meaning Sandslash completely outclasses it. While Marowak does have Blizzard and Counter, Sandslash packs Swords Dance and Rock Slide, which are far more valuable, especially considering Marowak's mediocre Attack."

You don't have to use that word for word but I just really wanted to bring that point to the table.

Once that's in, QC 2/2
Thanks, this is now GP Ready!

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Fix Remove Comment
[OVERVIEW]

(I didn't give a normal check because I reordered enough things to where it wouldn't be helpful. I didn't make many info or diction changes, but let me know if you'd rather change anything I did. Most notably, I changed "common attacking moves such as Water and Ice" to "common attacking types in Water and Ice". Grass is the only weaknesses not mentioned: if it is common, you should just include it with Water and Ice in the list.)

Marowak's stats are all equal to or lower than Sandslash's, meaning Sandslash completely outclasses it. While Marowak does have Blizzard and Counter, Sandslash packs the far more valuable Swords Dance and Rock Slide, especially considering when Marowak's mediocre Attack. Sandslash itself is already not that good in RBY UU, so things are even more dire. Marowak also has bad bulk, terrible Speed, and weakness to many common attacking moves such as Water and Ice. It finds itself losing to a lot of common Pokemon in the metagame, notably Gyarados and Vaporeon who destroy it. It is also completely outclassed by other Ground-types such as Dugtrio, or even Golem, meaning it should never be considered for any serious team.

Marowak is completely outclassed by Sandslash, which is already not that good in RBY UU, as well as other Ground-types such as Dugtrio and even Golem, meaning it should never be considered for any serious team. Its stats are poor, with bad bulk, terrible Speed, and all stats equal to or lower than Sandslash's. Although Marowak does have Blizzard and Counter, Sandslash's Swords Dance and Rock Slide are far more valuable, especially considering Marowak's mediocre Attack. It also has weaknesses to common attacking types in Water and Ice, and it loses to a lot of common Pokemon in the metagame, notably Gyarados and Vaporeon, which destroy it.

[SET]

[SET COMMENT]

This is Marowak's best set with its terrible movepool. Earthquake is a needed STAB move and has solid coverage for Pokemon like Tentacruel. Body Slam can paralyze foes and help Marowak with its abysmal Speed. Counter can counter Normal-type attacks from Pokemon such as Kangaskhan and Persian, and it works well due to Marowak's lack of a Normal resistance (removed hyphen). Finally, Blizzard can 2HKO Dragonite and is Marowak's best option for hitting Tangela, while and it also has a useful freeze chance. (removed extra linespace below)

[CREDITS]

As said in check, let me know if you'd rather change or revert anything I did in the intro paragraph; this goes for QC too.

GP 1/1

Last edited:
Add/Fix Remove Comment
[OVERVIEW]

(I didn't give a normal check because I reordered enough things to where it wouldn't be helpful. I didn't make many info or diction changes, but let me know if you'd rather change anything I did. Most notably, I changed "common attacking moves such as Water and Ice" to "common attacking types in Water and Ice". Grass is the only weaknesses not mentioned: if it is common, you should just include it with Water and Ice in the list.)

Marowak's stats are all equal to or lower than Sandslash's, meaning Sandslash completely outclasses it. While Marowak does have Blizzard and Counter, Sandslash packs the far more valuable Swords Dance and Rock Slide, especially considering when Marowak's mediocre Attack. Sandslash itself is already not that good in RBY UU, so things are even more dire. Marowak also has bad bulk, terrible Speed, and weakness to many common attacking moves such as Water and Ice. It finds itself losing to a lot of common Pokemon in the metagame, notably Gyarados and Vaporeon who destroy it. It is also completely outclassed by other Ground-types such as Dugtrio, or even Golem, meaning it should never be considered for any serious team.

[SET]

[SET COMMENT]

This is Marowak's best set with its terrible movepool. Earthquake is a needed STAB move and has solid coverage for Pokemon like Tentacruel. Body Slam can paralyze foes and help Marowak with its abysmal Speed. Counter can counter Normal-type attacks from Pokemon such as Kangaskhan and Persian, and it works well due to Marowak's lack of a Normal resistance (removed hyphen). Finally, Blizzard can 2HKO Dragonite and is Marowak's best option for hitting Tangela, while and it also has a useful freeze chance. (removed extra linespace below)

[CREDITS]

As said in check, let me know if you'd rather change or revert anything I did in the intro paragraph; this goes for QC too.

GP 1/1
Thanks, all ready for upload now!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)