SM OU Mega Pinsir + Ash-Greninja Balance!

cromagnet

I pledge allegiance to the grind
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
This team was the product of a long time of thinking. It combines Mega Pinsir, which is, in my opinion, one of the best megas in the meta, with Ash-Greninja, the best wallbreaker (except for KyuB [soft spot for him :]]). So without further wait, onto the team...

Oh boy, not again

The first mon on my team is the omnipotent LandoT. It's so good at what it does and will be prevalent in every gen, even in the future. Combining a stellar defensive typing with an even better ability, it checks almost every physical attacker in the meta. I chose to use a defensive set, similar to ones used in gen 6, in order to check things like Zard X, Pinsir, and occasionally Metagross. It carries rocks because thats what Landos do. The EdgeQuake combo allows me to hit mons in the air and Uturn is there for momentum, something very important for bulky offense/balance.

MakeUturnIfPossibl (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Defog

Tapu Fini was chosen because it is arguably the best hazard control in history. It once again has stellar typing and an amazing ability, which protects the team from status. I originally had a full on defensive spread on it, but decided to make it more mixed due to Landorus also being on the team. Moonblast and scald are there for necessary STAB moves and leftovers for the only recovery this thing has. Nature's Madness is a stupidly good move for this team, as it allows teammates like Greninja to get its Ash boost and for Pinsir to sweep easier, especially against its checks. Fini also counters waters and ice types which threaten Lando, and lando checks steel and poison types for fini.

Scald Nerf :[ (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Defog
- Nature's Madness

The 13 Week Old Milk in my Fridge (RIP)

Oh Muk, how I criticized you when you were revealed. But seriously, this thing is so underrated. It counters all of the specially attacking tapus and psychics, as well as mons like Gengar and Greninja. The AV makes it be able to tank special hits like nothing, and it has great defensive typing as well. With Lele being the best, most broken mon in the tier at the moment, Muk is important in stopping it from running through the team. It has a super powerful Gunk shot that OHKOs the Tapus and Knock Off to hit hard and remove items from mons like Chansey or really anything. It can remove scarves from mons and allow my sweepers to take them out. It has Shadow Sneak for some nice priority and Pursuit to trap psychics like the latis and mega zam. And lets not forget the ~60% it does to Lele. Overall a very underrated mon, I'd highly recommend it.

Martin (Muk-Alola) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Atk / 24 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit

Game Freak recognizes Ash

Ah yes, this crazy boy. I thought ash greninja was gonna be terrible, I don't know why, but I surely ate those words when I used it. Its such a fantastic wallbreaker and dark type moves are just as unresisted as last gen. It's the offensive powerhouse to the team, pairing well with Tapu fini and nature's madness, as well as appreciating Muk's handling of Fairy and Grass types. I decided to run a life orb set instead of specs because of my next member because i like the freedom of choice, and i find it actually helps me. Water shuriken is very important for the team, especially beating Pheromosa. Hydro Pump and Dark pulse are the STAB moves, which, coming off a base 153 spatk, hit like a truck. Ice beam was chosen as the final move for Zygarde and Grass types (also to emulate what i used to do with Kyurem-B), but it works.

I'm OU (Greninja-Ash) @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

buzz buzz..buzz buzz

Magnezone is very good this gen, in my opinion. With the rise of tapus and celesteela, its gained so much viability. It counters so many mons, like Scizor, Ferro, Skarm, Jirachi, other Zones, and even the occasional Scarf Excad if you're lucky. It works very well with Pinsir, as it also handles electric types like Xurkitree and Tapu Koko. It has fantastic defensive typing, second only to fairy/steel. Specs allows it to hit stupidly hard, which is what it needs to break steels. If there are no steel types, it can still function by firing off powerful TBolts or Flash Cannons and poke holes in the opponent's team, once again weakening mons for Gren and Pinsir. Volt Switch was put on to forma nice voltturn core with Landorus, allowing for Pinsir or Greninja to get plenty of free switches HP Fire is present to take care of those steel types.

Get In The Zone (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Wing Day

I saved the best for last. Last time I used this was in XY when i wasn't too competitive and i've been itching to use it ever since. Even with the aerialate nerf, its an absolute nuke. Why this thing for return and quick attack i don't know, but it was always a pain to deal with. I gave it the standard spread and setup + STABs. I chose Close Combat for the last move in order to hit Rotom and steel types like Celesteela better. Overall, a very good mon, I would highly recommend it.

The Boy (Pinsir-Mega) (M) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat

REPLAYS
Now I have not used this team too much on the ladder due to classes and such, but I have used it in a tournament and beat some really good opponents. The current peak is 1397, but that's only after a night of testing.
LADDER REPLAYS
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-516207025
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-516211296

TOUR REPLAYS
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-500339081
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-500349102
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-500366878
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-500371890
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-500375293 - Tour Final

COUNTERS

Rotom-Wash- overall a very tough mon to deal with, I usually have to use Greninja or Magnezone to try to handle it.

Tapu Fini + Ground Type- if this core is played well enough, it can avoid hits from Ash-Gren and Magnezone. I usually have to make some predicts to bring in Pinsir on Fini and set up.

Metagross-Mega- tough to deal with, but usually only when paired with Fini, as Greninja usually cannot get a hit off on Gross

Overall I see a lot of potential in this team, but any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I believe this team could be improved by modifying Magnezone's set. Specs is indeed a good way to break through common balance builds, but Mega Pinsir and Greninja can do the same well enough. Magnezone would fit better as a support for Pinsir that can freely fire off attacks against those kind of builds while not being useless against offense.

Magnezone @ Chople Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Thunder Wave
- Flash Cannon

With this set, you can check non-Earthquake Mega Metagross effectively, and most important, you won't get locked into any move when playing against teams with Tapu Fini or Rotom, meaning Ground types aren't free to come in and pressure you. Thunder Wave also means that Magnezone will threaten teams even if they have Steel types that don't care about Magnet Pull.

I would also give Specs Greninja a try if the Magnezone set change is made. Z-Fly RP Landorus-T is a big threat to this team and Specs Greninja means it will be OHKO'd after Rocks with Water Shuriken even if you get only two hits. It also helps pressuring Rotom.

Overall this is a really solid team man, good job!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)