Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Protect

I chose Celesteela because i needed a defensive counterpart to Mega-Venasaur as the two form a very nice defensive core as Celesteela can cover Venasaur's major weaknesses in flying and psychic. I chose Celesteela over skarmory in this case for the fact that Celesteela is a lot less passive and can therefore act as a more active threat to fairy types. Leech seed and protection are used for healing and protection (unsurprisingly), heavy slam as stab for fairies and flamethrower to threaten other steel types which would otherwise use celesteela as setup bait. Celesteela is a defensive monster that is no setup bait.

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry

This guy, oh THIS guy is a fun time. I was searching for an offensive ice type to take care of dragons and bulky waters and searching for a ground type for fast electric types and settled on Mamoswine. Choice Scarf lets the poor lug catch up to faster electric types, specifically tapu koko (non-scarf) to hit them hard with earthquake and outspeeds other big threats like garchomp or the latis, who threaten venasaur. Ice shard is there in case there are any scarf or unburden pokemon like hawlucha. Mamoswine is both my revenge killer and speed control.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic

The big man on campus, this giant special sponge is the core of the team. Able to check a myriad of common threats like greninja and the tapus (bar lele). Strong base attacks in giga drain and sludge bomb hit common water types and fairy types. Toxic for stalling threats to Venasaur that cant be solved by either sucking them dry or throwing garbage. Synthesis is the standard recovery move, but can combo really well with my next pokemon. Venasaur can both take a punch and dish them out.

Ninetales @ Life Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Heat Wave
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball

I chose ninetales in search of a powerful fire type wallbreaker to take care of steel types that cant be taken out by mamoswine alone. However the reason i chose ninetales was because of its drought ability, which is able to combo wonderfully with mega Venasaur's synthesis. Ninetales is a great wallbreaker with a combination of nasty plot and a sun boosted heat wave. Energy ball is used to take out lured out water or ground threats and psyshock is there to hit special walls.

Ariados @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sticky Web
- Toxic Spikes
- Megahorn
- Poison Jab

Suicide lead, used primarily to set up sticky web and toxic spikes which helps to artificially speed up my slower pokemon and to wear down the opponent if things go south. Ariados has a surprisingly good matchup against certain leads and even has an ace up its sleeve in megahorn to get rid of one of the biggest users of defog in the tier, latios. Poison jab is there with megahorn to do as much damage before dying after setting up. Focus sash is used to at least get sticky web up.

Mimikyu-Totem @ Focus Sash
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Leech Life

Mimikyu makes for a terrifying sweeper and an answer to psychic and dark types that oppose me. Ariados' sticky web gives mimikyu the privilege of out-speeding many offensive threats, which leads into its item focus sash. Since you most likely out-speed many threats with stickyweb, mimikyu is able to potentially set up two swords dances for an immensely strong sweep. If checks still exist such as pokemon still faster or unaffected are still in play mimikyu can still potentially KO them without the boosts after taking a hit with disguise.

Main trouble is entry hazards.

Last edited by a moderator:

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hello - I'm locking your RMT for the time being as your descriptions are lacking and not up to the standard required by the forum rules. You need to provide in-depth descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at RMTs in Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this. Additionally, you can only post one RMT every two weeks, so keep that in mind going forward.

Edit: Reopened

Last edited:
This team started off quite interestingly, but oh god did it take a nosedive. I'm not sure what any of those last three mons are supposed to acheive, but they're horribly out of place.

1. Ninetales is not a wallbreaker.
+2 252 SpA Ninetales Psyshock vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 169-199 (24 - 28.3%) -- 97.2% chance to 4HKO
Ironically, Fire Blast does more damage than Psyshock to chansey, but you're still hard walled by it. Toxapex can also avoid the 2HKO or force you to set up while it wastes sun turns and weakens you. Combine this lack of power with a generally poor speed tier in ou and we get a useless mon in most matchups. Why you're using Heat Wave over Flamethrower or Fire Blast is also beyond me, and Solar Beam is almost always better thna Energy Ball, but either way this needs to be replaced with something more effective, like Specs Lele.

2. Ariados does nothing for you.
Your core doesn't care about webs. Your core also carries status. Having a throwaway mon just for the purpose of getting up a useless hazard isn't worth it. If you're leading with it, you're not going to get an opportunity to surprise nuke a mon due to its complete lack of speed and bulk.

3. Mimikyu doesn't belong on balance.
Mimikyu is a great sweeper, but its single-use makes it more optimal for offence and HO teams, that are able to punch the critical holes it needs to sweep. It's possible you don't think this team is balance, but Celesteela/Venusaur is a very strong balance core, and that's definitely the direction I would take this team.

Here's my take on the same kind of team.
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed / Hidden Power Fire

Leech Seed or HP Fire mean that Venusaur isn't setup fodder for Scizor and Kartana. Leech Seed can also be used to predict Heatran.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Nothing worth changing here.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

The team needs rocks, and CM clef can provide some late game winning potential once you've weakened key checks like Heatran, Celesteela and Toxapex.

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

As far as suprise scarves go, mamo is pretty interesting, as its able to counterlead and OHKO Koko. That said, Knock Off helps in fat matchups much more than Freeze Dry.

Magnezone @ Leftovers / Electrium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire
- Substitute

As this team is super weak to Skarmory and Celesteela, Magnezone is a pretty obvious response. Sub lets him provide some extra beating once he's cleared out a trapped victim. Lefties can be nice for these setup-style situations, whereas a Z-crystal lets him really take advantage of his sub turn afterwards.

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 188 HP / 140 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Protect

Zygarde's weaknesses are covered quite well by your main core, so a sub/DD set should work as a sweeper. Alternatively, you could use a Dragonium Z offensive set, or even a Flyinium Z DD Dragonite if you've not used your Z crystal on Mag, and you want to avoid compounding your ground coverage. (Although groundspam with Thousand Arrows can be pretty effective, especially with Mamoswine's Ice stab.)

This team started off quite interestingly, but oh god did it take a nosedive. I'm not sure what any of those last three mons are supposed to acheive, but they're horribly out of place.

+2 252 SpA Ninetales Psyshock vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 169-199 (24 - 28.3%) -- 97.2% chance to 4HKO
Ironically, Fire Blast does more damage than Psyshock to chansey, but you're still hard walled by it. Toxapex can also avoid the 2HKO or force you to set up while it wastes sun turns and weakens you. Combine this lack of power with a generally poor speed tier in ou and we get a useless mon in most matchups. Why you're using Heat Wave over Flamethrower or Fire Blast is also beyond me, and Solar Beam is almost always better thna Energy Ball, but either way this needs to be replaced with something more effective, like Specs Lele.

Your core doesn't care about webs. Your core also carries status. Having a throwaway mon just for the purpose of getting up a useless hazard isn't worth it. If you're leading with it, you're not going to get an opportunity to surprise nuke a mon due to its complete lack of speed and bulk.

Mimikyu is a great sweeper, but its single-use makes it more optimal for offence and HO teams, that are able to punch the critical holes it needs to sweep. It's possible you don't think this team is balance, but Celesteela/Venusaur is a very strong balance core, and that's definitely the direction I would take this team.

Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Leech Seed or HP Fire mean that Venusaur isn't setup fodder for Scizor and Kartana. Leech Seed can also be used to predict Heatran.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

The team needs rocks, and CM clef can provide some late game winning potential once you've weakened key checks like Heatran, Celesteela and Toxapex.

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

As far as suprise scarves go, mamo is pretty interesting, as its able to counterlead and OHKO Koko. That said, Knock Off helps in fat matchups much more than Freeze Dry.

Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire
- Substitute

As this team is super weak to Skarmory and Celesteela, Magnezone is a pretty obvious response. Sub lets him provide some extra beating once he's cleared out a trapped victim. Lefties can be nice for these setup-style situations, whereas a Z-crystal lets him really take advantage of his sub turn afterwards.

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Protect

Zygarde's weaknesses are covered quite well by your main core, so a sub/DD set should work as a sweeper. Alternatively, you could use a Dragonium Z offensive set, or even a Flyinium Z DD Dragonite if you've not used your Z crystal on Mag, and you want to avoid compounding your ground coverage. (Although groundspam with Thousand Arrows can be pretty effective, especially with Mamoswine's Ice stab.)
Not to be a stickler, but your team importable has a mistake. Clefable should always run Soft-Boiled over Moonlight to help its walling capabilities

Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire
- Substitute

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Protect

Thanks for your advice, I realized a while ago that ninetales simply wasn't the best option and the sun simply wasn't worth it. I also love the addition of magnezone as I do find myself struggling against the bulky steel/flying types.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)