ORAS PU (monkey) 2.5k

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yay 2.5k doesn't the c&c fly. Normally I make RMTs to show off teams that are pretty finished and polished, but this one's more interesting. I really wanted to do a 2.5k rmt but none of my teams felt perfect, this is definitely my favorite thing I've used in a long time and it's still pretty nice. PU is just finally good again, Vigoroth was stupid, then Rotom was stupid, then it was kind of boring, but the meta's really come around and this team comes out with the new free feeling with so many mons that were kind of forgotten about like Simisear and Gabite becoming more prominent. This team basically came about when I wanted to try SubSalac Ninetales which hasn't been a thing for months, and I replaced it because it sucks but the point still stands and Simisear is really cool. Also it's a lot of fun to play with (maybe it's just me but yeah), so to all of the people stealing this for the seasonal, enjoy! And look out for goats.
Oh and the name is because not listening to music makes these hard and I miss Skype emoticons on Discord (also I had planned to rmt a totally different team which actually would've had a good name so yeah)​

514.png

I originally started with NP Salac Ninetales but Simisear does the same exact thing but better so yeah Simi
514.png
470.png

I immediately went to CB Leafeon since it lures Monferno and pressures Bouffalant and Audino
514.png
470.png
476.png

I don't exactly remember exactly why I went with a slow rocker so early, but it lures waters and slow pivots for Leafeon so I'm not complaining
514.png
470.png
476.png
626.png

Bouff is part 2 of the defensive core to pursuit trap things and take on stuff!
514.png
470.png
476.png
626.png
326.png

Machoke and Monferno and opposing Grumpig looked like massive pains, so I added my own Grumpig. Healthy mon
514.png
470.png
476.png
626.png
326.png
444.png

I needed a scarfer and an Electric immunity, definitely odd but it's been pretty successful. While I normally make a couple of edits to my teams the only change I made was Ninetales to Simisear and I haven't been able to figure any others.

giphy.gif
@ Salac Berry
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Substitute / Nasty Plot / Fire Blast / Grass Knot
(this is a simisear if you're too lazy to read)

Simisear is one of those mons that's good and then not actually used nearly as much as its ranking would suggest. Standard SubSalac just cleans easily once priority users have been removed, pretty much nothing can stand up to this thing at +2. Originally this was Ninetales with basically the same set, but I ended up going with the sheer power of increased Special Attack and Blaze. There's just so little to say about this other than get out and use it. In plenty of games it doesn't even need to Nasty and I've often considered dropping it for a third attack because Blaze Fire Blast is just such a good cleaning move, but it's never left because Audino.

470.gif
@ Choice Band
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Leaf Blade / Knock Off / Double Edge / Bullet Seed​

Leafeon was hype when it dropped, sorta stuck around being decent but never really used, but now it's been shooting up for good reason. Choice Band Leafeon is an incredibly strong wallbreaker that just so happens to lure or threaten pretty much everything that checks Simisear- Bouffalant gets its Assault Vest Knocked Off, Monferno gets Double Edged, Pawniard takes a ton from Leaf Blade, and pretty much everything else dies to this thing as normal. Bullet Seed is the last slot because Golem is always a pain and the team handles Zebstrika pretty reliably so I don't mind having some issues with Sap Sipper. Also there's not many mons more fun to use in the tier, it basically just comes in and things start dropping.

476.gif
@ Passho Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
Stealth Rock / Power Gem / Earth Power / Volt Switch

The hate for Probopass right now is more disgusting than its nose, but it fits pretty nicely here. I needed some rocks, slow pivoting is always nice, and it helps remove Pawniard which can annoy Leafeon and sucker Simisear. I opted for Power Gem over Flash Cannon because at this stage in PU the more for Rotom-F the better. Then the rest is standard, you can put Sturdy on instead if you like it more but I never really cared for it on teams without hazard removal. Passho is pretty much my favorite Probo set now, it functions just like regular Probo except they can't double right back to their Water-type every time. Plus the team doesn't really have a water switchin so the lure is nice.

626.gif
@ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
Return / Pursuit / Earthquake / Facade​

Basic Bouff is another mon that's just easy to slap on stuff and be standard etc etc. Most specifically it's my temporary check to special waters and Mr. Mime and wears things down that I need worn down with Pursuit, I often sac it for just some chip on one mon because Bouff is really effective at doing whatever you need it to in each individual game. Facade is the last slot because 1. burns and 2. Rotom-F burns. Speed also beats out uninvested Vullaby, I won't say how much creep I actually run but it's not that and anybody stealing should probably change that.

326.gif
@ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
Psychic / Focus Blast / Shadow Ball / Taunt

Good mon. Grumpig was originally slapped on because Machoke was a pain, but it's also cool for Pawniard and Rotom-F and stuff. While it feels weird to say this about Grumpig it's sorta out of place on a team that already has a couple of tanks, I just really needed the checking utility it provided. I also don't have too much for Psychics so Shadow Ball is pretty necessary. The weird thing is the reduced speed option, but, while creeping for Pawniard is definitely necessary, I just found the extra bulk to be more useful for checking random things like Altaria and I can reasonably play around Stoutland with some strong faster things and a bulky Normal resist.

444.gif
@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
Dragon Claw / Earthquake / Stone Edge / Outrage​

Despite being the one to originally innovate Scarf Gabite (I think?) this is probably the second time I've used it since the original team. I really wanted an electric immunity but a scarfer was mandatory at this point. Raichu is kind of aids but Gabite is surprisingly effective most of the time. Occasionally the low speed is a real letdown but even just a standard moveset makes this thing incredibly powerful and capable of taking out pretty much anything that needs revenge killing. Moveset is pretty basic, I don't click Stone Edge much but theoretically if I want to hit Rock weak things and not lock myself into Outrage it's good, and I've literally never wanted to have anything else.

Threatlist
So this is kinda interesting since what felt like the biggest threats on paper really haven't been so bad (like Swanna) so idk just really didn't come out how I expected
673.png
my biggest threat is a goat :v
I don't have a good way to kill this thing. Grumpig does a decent amount and can Taunt, Simisear is Simisear, but neither really like switching in since pretty much every set has EQ or Rock Slide. The problem with using Bouff for grasses is when Bouff doesn't beat grasses.
477.png

All priority users suck because sub salac mon but Dusknoir hits everything, pursuits my stuff, and I don't have a great way to kill it other than getting Leafeon in on not Ice Punch / Wisp
516.png

Obviously I don't really have a water switch but in practice I feel ok because they only beat Simisear and threaten Leafeon 1v1. Simipour is different though because Superpower hits Probo/Bouff and Knock can hit Pig and help out w/pawn (actually that sounds like a good core) so LO Mixed really sucks. Scarf/NP are manageable

(Monkey) Simisear @ Salac Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot

Leafeon @ Choice Band
Ability: Leaf Guard
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Double-Edge
- Bullet Seed

Probopass @ Passho Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Volt Switch

Bouffalant @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / Def / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Pursuit
- Facade
- Earthquake

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

Gabite @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge
- Outrage

Circlejerk Shoutouts
Fat boring PU nerds Magnemite galbia trc Anty Raiza Dundies
Awesome PU nerds TONE114 2xTheTap gasquakee Sir Kay Jetpack MaroGod Twix Raseri Thisbemyalt ShuckleDeath Al'Akir cityfolk RawMelon
Anything Goes is a fun and balanced meta Zangooser Josh HunterStorm Articuno I Dream Eater Gengar
Cool people I talk to jeran Betathunder Feliburn Rhythms Austin thecrystalonix Snaquaza baconbagon Arifeen Ranbu No Melody rozes
Cool people I don't talk to enough Syncrasy DrReuniclus3 scpinion all falls down unfixable Esidisi Slate. Robert Alfons
Diogo Joshz get unbanned nerds
probably forgot people but this was enough effort
special shoutouts ssneak and I didn't use our team so that's something
oh and I want to give TheCritMagnet an alert in case you ever show up again
go perts

Last edited:

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Hi Megazard solid team, also I was the one who innovated Choice Scarf Gabite.
I figured out how to completely fix this team, but it would require me to change the Pokemon you wanted to build on, Simisear, for something else, as I wrote on Discord, so I'll propose you something else which should still help you with the threats you listed.
Even though I like seeing Choice Scarf Gabite getting some usage and popularity, I disagree with using it here, since you could free up its slot by running a better Ground-type over Probopass, in Stunfisk. Replacing Probopass with Stunfisk, as I already said, allows you to replace Gabite for a more effective revengekiller, but also provides you a way more solid Ground-type and Electric-type check, since it doesn't get instantly bopped by stuff such as Hidden Power Ice. Other than that, Stunfisk, when running Passho Berry, can also lure Water-types more effectively than Probopass, since Probopass doesn't have many ways to hit Water-types hard, while Stunfisk carries Discharge, which deals decently high damage to Pokemon such as Floatzel and Simipour. Lastly, Toxic comes in hand to wear down annoying threats to your team such as Dusknoir, or just to wear down foes for a Simisear sweep, and overall Stunfisk also gives you an insurance against aforementioned Dusknoir but also other physical attackers such as Monferno, while still being able to switch into Pokemon such as Stoutland and Pawniard.

The Pokemon that will take Gabite slot as a revengekiller is Choice Scarf Rotom-F. I chose Rotom-F because of various reasons. First of all it is a more efficient revengekiller and cleaner overall, but in particular Rotom-F matches up better against Water-types that you had few answers for. Then, Rotom-F is also able to hit Gogoat hard with Blizzard, or use Trick and neutralize it by tricking it the Choice Scarf. Also Rotom-F gives you back something that can pivot and gain momentum with Volt Switch, since we replaced Probopass with Stunfisk. Having two Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock might seem annoying, but it isn't that unbearable, since Simisear at times benefits of Stealth Rock damage to get in range of Salac Berry, while Rotom-F can pull off its job even when not at full HP, and anyways Leafeon is still going to give trouble to the opposing Stealth Rock setter with Bullet Seed, so opponent won't even have Stealth Rock up guaranteed. Something that might look troublesome without Probopass is Chatot, but tbh most of your team members can tank an hit from the Choice Scarf set, and ouspeed the Choice Specs one. Replacing Probopass with Stunfisk also makes opposing Rotom-F look problematic, but you still have decent switch-ins such as Bouffalant and Grumpig, and even if you lose one in Probopass, you gain another in your own Rotom-F.

Stunfisk @ Passho Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

I really like your team. I see a way to limit goat, which is Toxic>Outrage on Gabite. It can't do much to bouff so after being Toxic'ed it loses to it. I agree that Raiza's change really covers you but if you want to keep your team structure intact I would just change 1 move.
I would do a more decent rate but it's late hope you enjoy both suggestions o/

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Anyway cool team megazard, though tbh I am horrified by your use of skype emojis, rather than ugly discord faces. The team looks solid and the current rates are decent, so i'll just give you another option.

As others have stated, Probopass looks like the weakest link here, as you already have two solid checks to Rotom-f and in comparison other Stealth Rockers can help you more. I think Prinplup would be the best replacement as it can sorta patch up your weaker defense by checking things like Monferno (scarf monf is a big threat if it u-turn's on pig twice), while also helping you vs water-types and regaining the ability to check Pawniard, and lastly can remove entry hazards for Simisear which can be quite crucial in situations vs bulkier teams where health is more important than speed.

Unfortunately this leaves you more open to Normal-types which prinplup can still check, but granted not as well. Since this is HO, I think the best solution to this would be replacing Scarf Gabite with Choice Scarf Monferno. Quite simple as Monferno can cc all the normal types and check Gogoat while being a pain for any team to switch into. I dont think scarf gabite can check electric types any better than grumpig and bouffalant can so i dont think you lose too much defensive presence. Ik Gabite is a nice check to DD alt for your team so I think running Rock Slide as the filler would help with this.

Prinplup @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Monferno @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide

Hope I helped!

I had a solid PU team which was centred around NP Ninetales back when Togetic and Poliwrath were in PU. It's funny because I ended up switching Ninetales for NP Simisear and that's when I learned how great of a Pokemon it is. Great team and I learned a lot from your team building process, as well as some inspiration to fix my old team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)