Monotype Monotype Ice team

Hey, this my team, and it looks a little weird but it's fun to use. I've tested and altered my team, but I still have no fighting counter and I'm unsure at what to replace for it. I probably have a few other issues, but this is the most glaring one to me.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- knockoff
- lowkick
- iceshard
- iciclecrash

Standard sweeper, works well as a revenge killer. I has knock off for dark stab and utility; mainly to target eviolite mon which my team would otherwise have a hard time breaking through. Low sweep helps immensely with the steel match up ohko'ing certain Pokémon and helping soften and/ or finishing off the opposing team. Ice Shard is a must have taking down weakened threats and getting a hit in before anyone else. And icicle cash has a decent amount of damage and a chance to flinch, although it is unreliable due to it's accuracy.t

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- icebeam
- fusionbolt
- earthpower
- outrage

Kyurem-B is my scarf mixed sweeper, designed to take out threats that outspeed most of my team with it's decent coverage, Ice beam and fusion bolt have great coverage combined making them obvious choices, and earth power ohko's threats like heatran and can put a dent into steel, electric and rock teams. Outrage is what I click when all the threats are removed or if I need to the extra power to break a wall.

Lapras @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- freezedry
- hydropump
- hiddenpowerfire
- surf

Lapras is a great mon, it can take fire hits and ohko them back, and can easily eliminate one of ice's biggest threats, scizor. The ev spread is so it can live a bullet punch from scizor and speed creep Pokémon such as azumarill and scizor. Freeze dry is to deal with bulky water types, specifically pokemon like gastrodon, seismtoad etc. hydro pump is for when I need the extra power. HP fire is for steel, specifically mega scizor, and is just general converage. Surf is simply just solid STAB.

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- stealthrock
- earthquake
- rockslide
- roar

This is my lead most of the time, it has thick fat, making it ideal for dealing with fire teams, which is one of the reasons why I neglected to add ice type moves. It is a lead so it basically has to have stealth rock, as it helps my match up against fire types considerably. Earthquake and rock slide are here because they synergise well with each other can help a lot of certain match ups. Roar is for when pokemon try to set up, or if just want to try and accumulate stealth rock damage on certain pokemon.

Rotom-Frost @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- voltswitch
- willowisp
- painsplit
- defog

I have rotom-frost mainly for defog, and I've chosen defog over rapid spin, because I wanted a way to remove rocks away against ghost matchups. Willowisp is to weaken physical threats and try and accumulate damage via burn, Volt switch is for momentum and painsplit is for recovery.

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 112 Atk / 144 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- shellsmash
- iciclespear
- hydropump
- rockblast

Cloyster is my setup sweeper, and a reliable one. I used to have waterium z, but I felt like I didn't need to use it as much so I opted for a focus sash instead. The move set is standard, icicle spear for a solid stab attack, hydro pump for physical walls and rock blast for coverage. Usually comes in after weavile or kyurem-b finishes up, or when rotom has burnt a physical threat, making it easier for me to set up shell smash.

Overall I liked this team, and i'd like help with. Sorry for it not looking nice or if I made any mistakes, but I hope that you can help improve this team. I've intentionally stayed away from pokemon like alolan ninetails with aurora veil and light clay, and alolan sandslash which slush rush, because I don't like the idea of having the same team, with the same set that everyone uses because it makes the game boring tbh.

Anyways, thanks for reading, hope you can help.

- D493

Hey D493 thats a solid team you have there but I can recommend just a couple changes that might suit your liking.

First off you stated that Piloswine is your lead in most cases, I would personally run a lead Focus Sash Mamoswine as an entry hazard lead as it is much faster , and stronger. Mamoswine is a Faster Stealth Rocker, has a stronger Earthquake. With Maximum Speed and a Jolly nature you can outspeed Breloom and Bisharp. It also gets access to Endeavor which will bring opposing Pokemon down 1 HP as you have a Focus Sash and then Ice Shard can finish them off. When played right in a situation, you can get up your Stealth Rocks , and effectively get a mon to its sash. Also using Endeavor can essentially bring a key mon down to 1 HP effectively making Weavile , Cloyster , and Kyurem's job of cleaning a lot easier. If you choose to run Oblivious Mamoswine , it prevents a user from using Taunt which would prevent Mamoswine from getting up its rocks, however if you like Thick Fat, then Thick Fat can work as well. Making this change would be very beneficial.

I also do believe you had it right the first time having Cloyster as Waterium Z it guarantee's an OHKO on SpDef Mega Scizor at +2 after Rocks and Waterium Z helps a lot in the Fire Matchup guaranteeing the OHKO on Torkoal without having to risk Hydro Pump missing and dying to Lava plume. It also serves as a straight up nuke as well if a mon is not in range of its regular attacks. Would highly recommend switching back to the Z crystal

You also mentioned how the Fighting matchup is very rough. As it should be Ice always finds Fighting as a tough MU. Scarf Terrakion essentially clicks Close Combat and claims a kill each time. However an unexpected tech would be Choice Scarf Weavile. You can outspeed Choice Scarf Terrakion and effectively OHKO it after very little chip damage with Low Kick ( 252 Atk Weavile Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Terrakion: 270-318 (83.5 - 98.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock). Doing this frees up Kyurem to be a mixed Life Orb attacker, however the choice is yours this is only a suggestion if you really want to. Without Alolan Ninetales the fighting matchup is almost impossible to win regardless, and Cloyster gets less setup opportunities without Aurora Veil support but I understand you do not like using A- Ninetales or A- Sandslash. This suggestion is completely up to you.

Other than that , thats all i've got and hope these suggestions are to your liking, I made sure to take into account that you wanted to keep a defogger over a spinner, and did not want to use the two Alolan forms, good luck with Mono - Ice

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious / Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 HP
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Endeavor
- Ice Shard

Cloyster @ Waterium Z
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 112 Atk / 144 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Hydro Pump
- Rock Blast

Last edited:
First off you stated that Piloswine is your lead in most cases, I would personally run a lead Focus Sash Mamoswine as an entry hazard lead as it is much faster , and stronger. Mamoswine is a Faster Stealth Rocker, has a stronger Earthquake. With Maximum Speed and a Jolly nature you can outspeed Breloom and Bisharp. It also gets access to Endeavor which will bring opposing Pokemon down 1 HP as you have a Focus Sash and then Ice Shard can finish them off. When played right in a situation, you can get up your Stealth Rocks , and effectively get a mon to its sash. Also using Endeavor can essentially bring a key mon down to 1 HP effectively making Weavile , Cloyster , and Kyurem's job of cleaning a lot easier. If you choose to run Oblivious Mamoswine , it prevents a user from using Taunt which would prevent Mamoswine from getting up its rocks, however if you like Thick Fat, then Thick Fat can work as well. Making this change would be very beneficial.
I like piloswine and the idea of utilise mamoswine instead for a stronger offensive presence, but a suicide lead doesn't seem like a good idea, as it has the potential to be a strong win condition is certain matchup's. The suicide lead mamoswine looks fun and interesting but it feels like a waste of potential. I might not have a fun understanding on how to use this pokemon, but it seems like a suicide lead to me. I'll try out set and see where it takes me from there :}.

You also mentioned how the Fighting matchup is very rough. As it should be Ice always finds Fighting as a tough MU. Scarf Terrakion essentially clicks Close Combat and claims a kill each time. However an unexpected tech would be Choice Scarf Weavile. You can outspeed Choice Scarf Terrakion and effectively OHKO it after very little chip damage with Low Kick ( 252 Atk Weavile Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Terrakion: 270-318 (83.5 - 98.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock). Doing this frees up Kyurem to be a mixed Life Orb attacker, however the choice is yours this is only a suggestion if you really want to. Without Alolan Ninetales the fighting matchup is almost impossible to win regardless, and Cloyster gets less setup opportunities without Aurora Veil support but I understand you do not like using A- Ninetales or A- Sandslash. This suggestion is completely up to you.
Well, scarf weavile seems alright and I understand the reasoning behind it, and I'll probably implement it into my team to see how it goes. As for the alolan ninetales, I'm not stubborn and I've seen what you've said repeated a lot, so I'll probably add alolan-ninetales to my team, but I'm unsure on what to replace for it, any help with that?

Thanks for the help :)

I like piloswine and the idea of utilise mamoswine instead for a stronger offensive presence, but a suicide lead doesn't seem like a good idea, as it has the potential to be a strong win condition is certain matchup's. The suicide lead mamoswine looks fun and interesting but it feels like a waste of potential. I might not have a fun understanding on how to use this pokemon, but it seems like a suicide lead to me. I'll try out set and see where it takes me from there :}.

Well, scarf weavile seems alright and I understand the reasoning behind it, and I'll probably implement it into my team to see how it goes. As for the alolan ninetales, I'm not stubborn and I've seen what you've said repeated a lot, so I'll probably add alolan-ninetales to my team, but I'm unsure on what to replace for it, any help with that?

Thanks for the help :)
It's not necessary a suicide lead its more so guaranteed rocks, and getting a chance at removing a big threat out of the way upon lead. However you can always use a Life Orb Offensive Stealth Rock Mamoswine. This set sports Stealth Rock once again , and Life Orb boosted dual STAB options in Earthquake and Icicle Crash, alongside STAB priority. If this set is more your style than by all means use it.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

As for Alolan Ninetales I would replace either Lapras or Cloyster here. However i would lean towards replacing Lapras because Cloyster is a great sweeper, and under Aurora Veil it can get more opportunities to freely Shell Smash up and potentially win the game. As it is, Cloyster puts in work in the Steel Matchup and it is a little overkill to run both just to matchup better against one type. For example, Cloyster under Aurora Veil takes almost nothing at -1 Defense from a Defensive Mega Scizor's Bullet Punch (0 Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster through Aurora Veil : 36-43 (14.9 - 17.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock). That was just an example of what Cloyster is capable of doing under Aurora Veil support.

Im also not sure if you would like an Alolan Ninetales set for this team but I shall drop drop one and quickly explain it .It runs Aurora Veil to half the damage from attacks of your opponents, enabling you to safley setup and dish out hits. Freeze-Dry is a STAB ice move that OHKO's Pelipper on the switch if your opponent decides to try and change the weather to prevent you from setting up Aurora Veil. It also OHKO's Kingdra and OHKO's Mega Swampert and Greninja after Rocks. Moonblast is great fairy STAB allowing Alolan Ninetales to threaten mainly Mega Sableye and Fighting types. Encore is to prevent setup sweepers from setting up in front of your face after you've setup Aurora Veil, or to force a passive mon to continuously use that move.

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Encore

Thats all i've got good luck with the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)