Monotype Staff Interview #1: Omega-Xis

Approved by scpinion
Based off of the first monotype interview with scp and Omega.

Hello, welcome to Monotype Staff Interviews!

Thanks Acast for the banner.

The first interview is with Omega-Xis, an overall great guy, who is a Monotype Room Mod, as well as global voice. He has been with monotype since almost the very beginning and he was once an RO, till he sadly retired. Anyways, let's get to the interview!

Will you tell us about yourself IRL? Are you still in school? do you have a job? Location? Anything other generic information you are willing to share?
Currently I'm still in school. I actually graduated with my bachelor's in Secondary Education recently, but I'm going to go back for another year or two to add different subject. I was living in Salt Lake City for the last 4 years but I recently moved to the Cincinnati area to be back with my family; two rents was a bit annoying. I'm likely going to apply to schools out here to do another year or two of school to add a subject to teach (Math) and get my teaching license. As for anything generic, there's not much to say really. I like watching anime occasionally, and I'm really following Bungou Stray Dogs really closely this season. I used to play video games a lot more often but I don't as much anymore as I don't find playing them as interesting as I used to.

So, you are into teaching? What got you into wanting to become a teacher?
A lot of the experiences I had in high school really lead me to having an interest in that. I was really fortunate and was in a great district with great teachers. Especially after talking with people in Monotype and The Happy Place, I realized how my experience isn't really the norm. I heard so many experiences about bad teachers that had no idea how to teach and it just frustrated a lot of my friends in real life and people I've met here. I think it's something I have a knack for as any time I've been a student teacher in a classroom, the students seem to be really receptive to my lessons and absorb the lessons well. Conversely, I've thought about pursuing teaching education to go into some kind of graduate program dealing with counseling in high schools. I had two amazing guidance counselors that actually had a profound impact on me and instilled a lot of confidence in me about my own academic abilities. Self-confidence has always been something I lacked and I was so grateful that they helped me with that. Teaching, or counseling, I'd like to do the same for others. In a sense, then, it's a feeling of wanting to give back what I've received.

What school do you go to now? Do you enjoy it? Can you tell us a little bit about it?
I just graduated from the University of Utah but I'm not currently enrolled anywhere. My four years there were pretty nice, but I didn't live on campus so I didn't have the typical experience most people did. A lot of my friends were older too so I was left with a year or so where I didn't know that many people. Salt Lake City was also a really cool place to be; there was a lot of diverse restaurants and communities to get involved in. Right now I'm actually looking at places I want to enroll in for the upcoming fall semester; I haven't decided yet but Northern Kentucky University and the University of Cincinnati top my list since I want to stay at home. I actually visited UC when I was still in high school and looking for places to go. They have a ton of amenities on campus and it's really pretty, and I hear a lot of great things about NKU's campus. I think I'll be pretty happy with either choice.

Do you play any video game outside of PS?

Hm, I don't think it would exactly classify as a video game per se but I play a lot of Hearthstone. I started somewhere around 2014 or 2015 I think. Zinnia, a former RO, was actually the one to introduce me to the game and I actually really enjoy it. I do complain about RNG a lot. It is a card game so it does weight in a bit more than other competitive games, I'd think.Other than that there's not any other game I really invest much time in; I'll pick up a Final Fantasy or MegaMan game here and there because those are two of my all-time favorite franchises

Is there anything you feel that is awesome about yourself?
Hm, I don't think there's anything that great about myself but I am a pretty modest guy. I'd just say I think I'm a lot more relaxed and easy-going than most people. Yes I do have my times where I kind of snap at people but so does everyone else. I feel like I'm really approachable and can really put people at ease and I feel like that's something you don't always see on PS.

How did you get into Pokemon? PS? Why the monotype room?
I played the cartridge games starting when I was 7. My first game was Pokémon Silver and I was pretty enchanted by the game. I got into PS when I started breeding mons in the BW games so I was pretty familiar with Smogon but I never created an account and just lurked. One day I got to the page where it had the option to "Play" and I figured I'd click it and see where it went and I wound up here. At the time I was actually part of a forum that was looking to set up a league and I wanted something to provide a twist on the tiers I was playing that were becoming a bit stale to me. I didn't want a lot of responsibility so I just decided to be a Trainer in the Flying Gym, as my favorite person on the forum was the Leader. It was not long after that that PS got rooms apart from Lobby and I noticed that there was a Monotype room so I decided I'd go there and ask for help/battles. I've been in the room ever since!

What is your favorite Pokemon and tier? Why?
My favorite tier is UU. It's just full of a ton of mons whose design I always liked, such as Houndoom, Kingdra and Heracross. Those all happen to be from Gen 2 and Gen 2 is my favorite as well. As far as a favorite mon goes, I'd definitely have to say Whimsicott. It fulfills so many roles such as being a Ground, Water and Knock Off check while also keeping mons like Hydreigon and Salamence from spamming Dragon moves. It's great base speed of 116 makes it a great fit on offensive teams too. Brings a lot to a team.

Who is your favorite staff member and voice? Why?
I don't choose favorites! Equal appreciation for all! If I were forced to pick though I'd say Misaka is probably my favorite staff member, she's super nice and watches a ton of anime. Wyn would probably be my favorite voice he's a good guy, modest and an outstanding battler.

What do you enjoy about being staff?
Mostly just helping people that come to the room looking for advice on spreads and sets. I'm not the best battler but I've always felt I do a good job of laying out the options people have and what they help against. I really enjoy teambuilding too so I love to give advice on that.

How did you get your PS! Username? ~ 6TI
Omega-Xis is a character in MegaMan Starforce. I've always been a huge MegaMan fan and when I joined PS I had actually played these games and they were still relatively new to me. At the time I was "Omega-Xis14" since this name was taken but since the name hadn't been used in ages I was able to get this unlocked.

Who is your bae?
I don't actually have one, definitely got side chicks tho! +Omega-Xis holds up mixtape.

What is your favorite type? Why?
Ground is definitely more balanced than Fire but it has so many heavy hitters that I've always considered it offensive. Fire is probably one of my favorite types to use though, although I actually haven't came back to it since Volcanion has been released. I really started to like Fire after I built a team for it and got to around the 1600s on ladder using a HO team that basically spammed priority. It had Fletch, Nape and Entei along with a bulky Zard Y, ScarfTran and a Mental Herb Torkoal which actually caught quite a few people by surprise. I also really like using Grass as well since it's another chance to use Whimsi, one of my favorite mons from a competitive point of view.

What does the "xis" stand for in your name? ~ Acast
"Omega-Xis" is a character from MegaMan Starforce. So alone it doesn't mean anything as it goes along with "Omega."

Do you enjoy the way monotype is now? If you could change anything would you?
I actually think the only thing wrong with Mono is that it's stale at the moment. It's a really balanced meta but I don't think Volcanion was enough to revive huge interest in a lot of people that felt things were stale.
I'm hoping Sun and Moon change this, as an influx of new mons should hopefully make things interesting.

What are some of your favorite foods?
My favorite food to eat is Thai curry. There was a place near me in Salt Lake City and I used to eat there a lot. I also really like Turkish food, I used to go these Turkish restaurants in the north of Spain when I was on a summer study abroad. They were all some variation of "Döner Kebab" for the name and I loved getting a quick meal at them.

What players are you really good friends with or look up to?I feel like I'm good friends with quite a lot of the playerbase, but I'd say someone I look up to is Clearly. He doesn't get as much hype as a lot of the top players but he does his thing and is really good at it.

Are there any words of wisdom for new monotype players that you have?Not much other than just don't be afraid to ask questions and maybe try out any odd idea you get. You never know what's going to work if you don't try, and maybe if something doesn't work initially, experimenting you do later will help you figure out how to fix that old idea!

Anything you would like to say to close off, and who would you like me to interview next?
I would just like to thank my loyal fans in the Monotype community who voted me to be the first interview since we decided to interview staff members again! I truly appreciate the support I get from all of you and I'm so grateful to have a community that feels like home and has helped me through some ups and downs. If any of you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask.
INTERVIEW RAJU-CHAN.

Thanks for reading! Join me for Monotype Staff Interviews #2! See Ya!
~Helpful/Jiggle

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)